Bad Character Design Thread

>asian character
>drawn with the same basic round eyes as everyone else
Was this their idea of trying not to offend people, or was it just incredibly lazy design? Bad character design thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_0dTG1_x-K8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't know if it's actually bad character design or if the creators just wanted to cover all their bases and picked a totally random generic white character they made and started calling them Korean. Just so they could claim they were being all inclusive and multicultural.

Janna is from The Philippines? I thought she was some Slav / gypsy gal.

Her last name is Ordonia, a Filipino name

> we have a mole character on a show full of talking anthros, how should we design her
> we'll draw a completely normal looking human --but with a waffle on her butt!
> fucking genius

The brown girl from Star Vs is a flip? Haha what?

Isn't Lars from SU Filipino too?

You should put Lars Barriga in the Philippine category so Janna won't be alone.

Doesn't help that she's boring

I did not know she was anything but human for the longest time.

Moles don't even have tails like that

>characters are based on animals
>males don't wear clothes
>females do

It's a cartoon. Chloe's age is a much more defining straight than her ethnicity, so she's given big round eyes. If she had small squinty eyes, she'd look like an old lady.

I dunno, it seems kind of racist to even care. She's a midget designed to look cute, hence the giant saucerplate eyes.

>mole

Hes a beaver you dip. Buck teeth and a beaver tail

Why is 'white' even labeled here? That's not a country of origin like the others.

Why is this character so repulsive to look at?

Her hair and clothing don't look like an old lady's. Her voice doesn't sound old either. Plus there are ways to draw Asian eyes that aren't overly squinty.

I thought she was some sort of mediterranean/latina mix.

comparison purposes?

He has earlobe holes but seems to lack actual ears. He's got no other signs of hair growth but that small patch in that hideous style. He doesn't look human.

During early season 1 I thought he was a dog

Pic most characters from this to be honest, but the titular one especially.

Asian characters designed by actual asians don't have slinted eyes.

It's almost like racists like you are picking apart any and all excuse to be racists...

this may be a troll thread but i had this discussion with a friend a few days ago

the 80s and 90s had so many cartoons aimed at black people and black kids like fat albert, waynehead, a bunch of other stuff, and all of the characters were drawn like black people, full lips, forwards jaws, etc. nobody was ashamed or afraid to do that shit because thats actually what black people look like. look at france today and they still do that

but now in america you dont see that at all anymore. if a character is black they just look caucasian with a little bit of a color difference.it looks like racial erasure to me. with people who are so touchy and afraid of stereotyping anyone nobody wants to draw real distinctions anymore.

with how abstract everything looks in shit like adventure time and all the shows it inspired maybe its just these sjw people fleeing reality into a realm of weird shapes where nothing can be identified and there can be no identity beyond what a character says and does

The creator literally said she's a mole you autistic fuck

>Hes

Charachers designed by asians aren't actually asians, at least most of them aren't asians.

>dark skin and hair
>hook nose
>Slav
I know slav chicks are ugly at average but Janna is different type of ugly

White people have no culture and come from nowhere. Nobody including they give a fuck about heritage

Because Asians want to have big eyes like white people do? Why do you think eyelid surgery is so popular in Asia?

What exactly is wrong with his design to you
I can see taking issue with his character or voice, but the design itself is inoffensive at worst

Almost everyone on the show is repulsive to look at.

Sad thing is, this series inspired hordes of art school students to imitate this style 110%

>a dog
Cute.

That's not even true. In most shows with an international cast the asian characters have notably more oval eyes.

Yea they also design them with things like green eyes, red and blonde hair....

His pig nose, fat body, and jewfro.

You have basically described the modern phenomenon of ambiguously brown where they draw a white person and then color them brown when what you have is an ordinary white American.

I hope you don't actually believe that.

don't feed the trolls

Fat, badly proportioned, inconsistent. Hits just about every CalArts strike (potato mouth, tumor face, indented eyes, etc)

Fat characters are generally comic relief, not taken seriously. His nose is a little too upturned.

I'd say looking at this character doesn't communicate "child" to me.
Steven has looked like a small man from day one.

He's pink which combined with being fat is gross regardless of his mom being a pink rock considering he has literally no other traits to make him look anything other than human

Danny Devito and the Crystal Gems

McDonalds, tv, and Wal-Mart are not a cultural heritage cletus

Actually watching SU and seeing how much lower they could go in the design department actually made me forget that Steven is just a bad enough on his own.

Because white people are just...white. There is nothing else to them. Everyone else keeps association of the nation of their origin and that sticks around with their family names. White names are just white names. Bland and mostly meaningless. If there was a name then it was dropped or forgotten by now.

I'd like to think that's the lowest they can go, combining the two ugliest and useless characters. Throwing Peridot into the mix MIGHT lower the bar, but I'm hoping otherwise.

Boy I do love my Sup Forums threads where Tumblr and Sup Forums start passive-aggressively spouting nonsense at one another.

You guys should just fuck and have a bunch of insane neurotic babies.

I hate the show and the character but her design is fine, the Pikachu cheek hearts bother me a little but that's it.
All of Mcfarlane's characters look hideous no exception.

Shit would be on fire if this were tried today

If we're talking about americans, then blacks and whites who've been here for more than several generations have difficulties tracing back lineages, which is understandable. Immigrants who came in this century have better records of course.

>asians don't include an objective characteristic displayed by their ethnic group
>"why dont they have that characteristic?"
>"UHHHH RAYCISS AND SEXISS MUCH???"

Please go

You'll be surprised at how many white people remember their heritage and culture, especially ones that still have grand parents. My Polish/German/British/Irish friends all have their own foods and deserts they make on occasion with their family, as well as speaking a Caucasian, non english language (german and polish). You just never see that in the media as "white" is an umbrella term for anyone who is not a POC, and thus, not unique to have any exotic qualities.

>Because white people are just...white. There is nothing else to them.
>Everyone else keeps association of the nation of their origin and that sticks around with their family names. White names are just white names.
These are contradicting statements
You think this because white is your default, and because you've had no reason to differentiate
In the US of A, homogenization has indeed taken its toll, but black people are in the same boat. LOL
Back over in Europe, and Africa by extension, things are a lot more clear cut. It's fairly easy to discern between a paddy or a kraut or a frog. Naturally central europe is still pretty homogenized, but names are still distinguishable
Even so, there are still many [white] families in america that have kept their traditions and genes strong with the blood of heritage

Except that its not exclusive to asians. A noticeable amount of central and northern europeans also have epicanthic folds, yet no one stereotypes them with slinted eyes.

Only when they are making shit up in an impotent effort to launch into a white supremacy speech, and even then they are holding onto everything invented, or discovered by any white guy regardless of nationality or corner of the planet they came from. White Australians will claim white supremacy by taking claim of things done in Canada, France, Russia, Greece...anywhere. They claim racial heritage over national one. So tit's completely hollow and only used for racism.

Again, designed BY asians, not "progressive" white people.

We know their asian by the color hair streaks

This was seriously disgusting. I can overlook the "fatty black gayboy dressed for Pride Parade" but the fucking arms, why? Just why?

Why did people take more issue with Iron Fist being white than being a gross lanklet

Brittany Wong looks very asian in the same show

Not really because the creator is black. Same reason why Proud Family and Boondocks were allowed to get away with such racism.

It is weird that I love every single one of the secondary characters from this show but at the same time I hate the fucking bears?

Janna is like the only character in the show who you cannot tell is asian

Rad and Enid are both black

Rad only had black characteristics in the captain planet episode

Rad is based on Ian Jones Quarter Pounder, the creator of the show. Also Enid is Hispanic, not black

Observations of culture != racism
Ironically, the widespread mindset that you can only write and remark on matters of ethnicities outside of your own is missing the message of those shows.

whoops
that you can't write and remark*

Rad isn't black, he's an alien.

>bad character design thread
>"They're black"

Cartoon Hangover thread?

Both her parents are black and voiced by black VAs

by calling an user who agreed with MY views a racist you implied I WAS A RACIST?!
i JUST gOAatTA REPPLY

>caring about what australians have to say

Reminder that she is an actual bug

Silly user, that's science talk. We only let our feelings and the gentle guidance of Sup Forums help us to direct our rageboners here.

Your mistake here is in thinking that ideology is the cause of more "abstract", simplistic designs rather than the most obvious reason that is the cause of all shoddy bullshit: Money. It's fucking cheaper. Why grasp for SJW conspiracies behind erasure of racial features in animation when the pure simply fact is that it's EASY and CHEAP? That modern character designer get to avoid a mindfield while getting to claim diversity by using the bucket fill tool is a bonus they're taking advantage of, but to think it's the driving factor is so naive, goddamn.

The answer is ALWAYS money

I guess that means Samurai Jack is black too
Also you claim Rad to be black based on his facial features, despite the fact his is a green alien, although you still insist Enid is black despite lacking such features and it being implied in the show that her family in hispanic.
If Rad had less pronounced features but still human like, would you say he's white?

What implication? outside of your own assumption

>Named Wilmena
>apparently not black

this is the end result of tumblr/Sup Forums brainwashing that convinces people that literally everything is an ideological battle, so now they think they can be "politically aware" by watching the correct cartoons and buying the right products.

Chloe is based on the creator's girlfriend's niece. He's said she loves the design.

I only know this character from an image set where she rims all the bears

Not him but her dad refers to her mom as querida. which, at least, implies he's hispanic
That's not something you throw in just because

the skin tone and voice check out, but how do you figure that's a black name?

Where do you even find this shit?

You do know that people can be both black and hispanic

a black/hispanic mixed purple werewolf is kind of overkill don't you think
unless you're confusing hispanic for a nationality in which case, no, that's not what that word means

It's easier to just say he's Dominican, then it all fits

Why is Marco Diaz a hipster?

why is that kid dressed like steven universe

yeah man, japanese people as drawn by japanese people are tall, have many colors of hair, and big round eyes, just like real life!

meanwhile, whenever they draw americans they draw us taller, with only blonde hair, and even bigger eyes! just like real life

youtube.com/watch?v=_0dTG1_x-K8

There really isn't that enormous of a difference when it comes to eye shapes.

In all honesty, completely circular cartoon eyes are arguably a similar departure from Caucasian eyes as they are from Asian eyes.

Why do you care this much over something so inconsequential?

This, when all we had to go off of was the first promo picture literally everyone thought he was going to be a Seth Rogen esque slacker manchild

Belarus.

Yes, that's what I said.

I'm and American and I know that my great great grandfather was the first to bear the family name because he was an orphan in old Venice. I have his cane.