Forbes: The Question For 'Justice League' Isn't How Much Money It Will Make

...But How Much It Will Lose.

This looks really bad guys.

forbes.com/sites/robcain/2017/11/20/the-question-for-justice-league-is-not-how-much-money-it-will-make-but-how-much-it-could-lose/

To keep it simple:
>$650 million gross would be a generous estimate at this point
>vs ~$465 million in upfront production and marketing, $60 million for global home entertainment costs, $20 million for talent guild residuals and "off-the-tops" (release-related expenses), $20 million in interest expense, and tens of millions more in talent participation fees
>"Total estimated costs: $600 million. Deduct that from the $545 million in studio revenue and we wind up with a $55 million loss. Against Warners' $475 million in upfront production and marketing expenditures, that works out to a negative 12% ROI."

>JL was such a fucking shitshow even if it makes money it still loses
Damn, man.

and probably more threads literally about box office profits, fuck of and stop spamming the board

>$650 million gross would be a generous estimate at this point
>Less than TWS, GotG, Doctor Strange, Homecoming, Thor 3, WW, DofP, Deadpool, MoS, WW, SS
wew

>Lunch ain't over yet.
>MAH MAN.

does that $465 mil production cost include the reshoots?

tfw they could send people to Mars with that money

>If I tell them to fuck off maybe they'll leave my favorite movie alone
>LITERAL damage control
Oh, go fuck yourself DC shill. If you don't like it go back to your safe bubble and stay there.

465 million is both production and marketing, production was just $300 million. And yeah, the reshoots are what pushed it to $300 million. Without them it'd probably be about the same as every other huge capeshit like BVS and AOU ($250 million).

I honestly thought I clicked on Sup Forums by mistake. This is bad, guys. We really need to do something about this board.

I remember reports saying that they wanted it to be cheaper, which was why it was being shot mostly with green screen. They probably wanted it to be about 200 million.

why does making people dance in silly costumes in front of camera cost half a billion dollars?

Because people can't do those depth defying feats that are presented without cgi.

Said the increasingly nervous DCasual

Doing it again with a second director, digitally erasing a mustache, and gluing two movies into one without making it incomprehensible.

See what I mean, Sup Forums?

I have reported no less than 10 threads today, mods clearly don't give a shit

>mods don't delete threads that are on topic
>somehow means they don't give a shit

>Report on-topic Sup Forums threads
>They don't get deleted
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

It must be expensive to get the rights to that Injustice 2 gameplay footage.

>a negative 12% ROI."
OH NO NO NO
*breathes in*

Almost like things will be crazy until Wednesday then putter out with one or two threads until the next DC movie
>Sources:
>MoS release
>BvS release
>SS release
>WW release

Sup Forums purists insist the sky is always about to fall, but it never does.

I know I'm going to rewatch it this week and I know two friends that will go again as well.

Come on Sup Forums we can do this together!

Lmao fuck off pajeet

The board always gets flooded when a new Marvel/DC movie is released. The only difference is in 3 months, no one will care except the DC fuckbois will still be posting about JL and everyone else has moved on.

No, no, I'm wrong wrong. In 3 months it'll all be niggers and kangs. JL threads will still be about Superman bodying the League and powerlevels.

So. Can we hereby claim that the Cinematic Universe trend is over? The Monster Universe is dead, the DC universe is dead, the Sony Spider-man universe ran to Mommy Marvel, and Fox's Mutants and the Transformers Universes each exist only because stumbled into being one by accident, and they basically gave up trying to make sense of themselves.

>465 million is both production and marketing,

no is not, again, not even Disney would greenlit a movie that has to make a billion just to break even.

Can't be them. They had a better Cyborg

Yah, but WB execs have proven themselves to be totally incompetent
That is the type of thing they would do

Well there's still Star Wars, which is a connected universe an a whole other level. But yeah, I think it's not gonna be the big thing anymore.

Also, what Transformers Universe? Aren't they all just sequels?

Announcing reports is against the rules, user

MCU is the only cinematic universe.

AlienVPredator could have been spectacular but we know how that turns outs out.

1 through 5 are, but then they had a big writer's gasthering, where over the course of weeks, the dozen-or-so best writers hashed out a Cinematic Universe. They're now splitting off, with the next one being Bumblebee, and the main story gets continued in 6.

>Meanwhile in the MCU, Thor makes $740 million after just 3 weekends Overseas and 3 in the U.S.
>Has made 4.1x its budget back already
>4.1x Justice Leagues budget is 1.23 billion.
>Justice League made almost $30 million less than Thor opening weekend
Kek, it's over

Daily reminder:

>“[Superman] is the freaking […] biggest superhero on the planet. He’s the father of every superhero. [Deborah and I] were just talking about this – I’m like, really? Thor? Thor has a movie? [Laughter.] Really? I mean, come on. And there’s no Superman movie? This is, like, the world’s out of balance. It’s like, we’ve lost our minds here, people, come on.”

You fucked up, Snyder.

Anyone have a decent HQ image of Cyborg 2.0 yet?

That's because Snyder is a Randian idiot that wants to jump into the deconstruction of superheroes without actually building about the mythos.

His movies are the point without the journey, flowered in hollow imagery. He desperately wants to be a moving Renaissance painting.

And it may or may not be part of the Hasbro Movie Universe. No one can decide.

I'm planning to see this movie tonight with mom and sis. What scene should I skip when I go to refill my popcorn?

everything after the WB logo

You forgot the Fast & Furiouniverse.

>leaving to refill your popcorn
>not bringing bags and filling them up before the movie then getting a refill before the previews start
you gotta step your game up, user

Dude, let your mom go get the refills. You think she cares about the movie?

She has a broken arm right now, I don't think she will be on the mood.

>Black Panther release date: Feb 16th 2018

In three months we'll have suicidal DC fans when Diversity: The Movie makes more money than the JL flop.

So it's literally Suicide Squad all over again, critics shit on it, audiences love it. All you need now is the positive word of mouth to spread for Thanksgiving weekend.

Just promise her you will take care of her in her old day, she'll forget it due to Alzheimers anyway.

>audiences love it
No no no no
Fanboys obsessively give it 10s.

I dunno if I'd put it that way.

Snyder is a visual guy, and he likes to steal iconic visuals from some of the best comics ever published.

He just doesn't seem to understand the iconic scenes from Dark Knight Returns is built upon literally decades of comicbook stories. He steals those scenes and dumps them into a cinematic story where Superman and Batman have just met each other, there is no connection here, there is no history here, and then he seems surprised when the movie-going audience gets nothing out of those context-less scenes.

IMO, he is Salieri to comics-as-Amadeus, he can recognize quality but has zero idea how to craft it himself which makes him perpetually frustrated.

Why don't you peons understand the artistry he is ripping off? Because tearing off a corner of the Mona Lisa is worth precisely dick.

>Actually watching this

>Audiences love it
>He doesn't know

Know what? Its still at 85%.

Money shit aside, does anyone have any nice screencaps of the movie?

Looking for Flash/Superman race as a wallpaper

>JL: 102,882 reviews in 4 days
>Thor 3: 76,077 reviews in 3 weeks

Yeah, nothing at all fishy about that.

>Boco cares about RT users score
Fuck off already.

The trend never really got off the ground to begin with. Marvel did it unexpectedly well, everybody rushed to do their own version, and everybody but Marvel failed.

If one dude learned how to fly, and a dozen other people died of broken necks after jumping off buildings to imitate him, there wouldn't be a "trend" of flying people. There'd be one guy who can fly and a dozen people with broken necks.

REEEEEEEEEEE ONLY CRITICS SCORE MATTERS

OH NO NO NO

Oh, I don't care. I'm just curious what user means.

*breathes in*

Nope. Suicide Squad was a financial success. Cost about half as much as only Will Smith was getting paid any teal money and Suicide Squad sold a shit ton of records and Deadshot action figures and harley quin poster sand other merch. JL costs twice as much probably has sold just as much if not less merch and theyre paying multuple people big money as opposed to one person

So is it just me or Joel Shumacher made a superior movie?

>20 years later
>people still haven't accepted that Batman Forever is objectively kino
I unironically love B&R too, but Forever really gets a bad reputation.

>Forbes

>meme arrows

If only the Execs would stop meddling

I would like a shot of Cyborg's new costume if possible.

Well Forever feels forced to me... unlike B&R where acting felt like nobody gave a shit.

Read somewhere that comparatively, JL only sold 14% more tickets than Batman and Robin did.

It's utterly mind-boggling that Wonder Woman is the only thing propping up DC movies. This had better be a wake-up call for the execs to get actual talent on these films, let them do their work, and yank them after the first film that's not an unqualified success.

When something goes wrong in the industry execs will always scapegoats everyone but themselves. Hell if movie was leaked they would 100% bank on that.

But how expensive was this Thor movie

Except people paid for Suicide Squad.

Has anyone considered that the poor returns are a byproduct of the oversaturation in the Superhero market?

No, otherwise Thor would have flopped too.

>meanwhile at Thor: Ragnarok and Wonder Woman, $$$$$

Nah,we aint there just yet, give it around 3-4 years.

Considering other superhero movies are not flopping, no. This "cape fatigue" shit is a meme made up by MoS/BvS/JL apologist

>He says for the 3rd year straight

Considering that just about every other super hero movie in the last year was financially successful, no.

What they'll take from this is that they need more Wonder Woman.
Every time Wonder Woman is not onscreen, someone will ask "Where's Diana?"

It's not a meme dude, it's a science. People are going to stop going to these eventually. The only reason the MCU is thriving is because they've become too big to fail.

>just about
Try "every other"
Every other Superhero movie in 2017 performed very well. Logan grossed over 6 times it's budget.

>superhero fatigue meme
Fucking kek.

>The only reason the MCU is thriving is because they've become too big to fail.
What the fuck does this even mean in this context? Does this even make sense to YOU?

So what's your explanation for Deadpool, Logan, and Wonder Woman?

Yes - eventually these movies won't be as successful. But there is literally zero evidence that we're there yet.

Also, Diana should be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

Two objects cannot inhabit the same space

People may be getting less forgiving, and less likely to let hype carry them into a dreary DC affair like it might have a few years back

>Yes - eventually these movies won't be as successful.
So when does Disney Princess film fatigue set in?

>Telling people you've reported threads
>Spamming reports about threads that are board-related

That's two rules broken, user.

When the dolls and makeup kits and castles stop selling.

When Black Cauldron came out

Jesus

The people the MCU has already, for lack of a better word, enslaved aren't going anywhere. Whether the movie is trash or treasure it's going to print money because of brand loyalty. But at the same timeThe days of shit like The Monday Night Wars with WCW and WWE are over, no ones interested in even competitions. Even Deadpool 2 is losing hype at a dizzying rate.

Thor came out three weeks ago and it's box office is at 700 mil.

If you give people alternatives, and one of them is clearly better/more entertaining, it's not shocking that the superior effort gets rewarded.

WB mistakenly believed that this was a "fad", and their Brazilian knock-off of Avengers would sell like hotcakes because they held the taste of superhero fans in contempt.

That's what killed the DCEU more than anything; the entire effort was lead by people who had contempt for the material and for the fans. Snyder goes to a convention, gets asked about his favorite comic book and sputters something about like the movie Star Wars.
It's not that he didn't think he would get asked comic questions, it's that he didn't give a fuck about the audience at all.

>Two objects cannot inhabit the same space

>GotG 2: May 5 - $863mil
>WW: June 2 - $821mil

You were saying?

WB still has the Giant Monsterverse with Godzilla and King Kong: Skull Island.

Am I'm sure you believe yourself to be the pinnacle of comic book fandom

That's not counting this weekend's Domestic tally. It's at $738 million