Any good western horror comics?

All I've seen was some action-ghostbusting crap. Also, if you consider Stephen King a good writer your opinion does not count.

Other urls found in this thread:

emcarroll.com/comics/prince/andthesea.html
www2.mymangalist.org/chapter-uzumaki-1
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkham_Asylum:_A_Serious_House_on_Serious_Earth
desuarchive.org/co/thread/95329520/#95329520
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

does black hole count as a horror comic?

This weeb shit is supposed to be horror?

Moore

People swear by Face All Red, but I prefer The Prince and the Sea.
emcarroll.com/comics/prince/andthesea.html

Clean Room's pretty solid

>if you consider Stephen King a good writer your opinion does not count.

Junji Ito ain't much better. Interesting premises with awful endings and all the best work is in short stories

Uzumaki goes off the rails and becomes unintentionally funny by the time little kids are flying around with wind powers blowing houses down and the people have resorted to trying to eat the snails.

what was that one where some small group of super successful people try and save the world or something, it has astronauts and some weird supernatural stuff

Nameless

there was a good storytime noot too long ago

>Japanese horrors are bad
>You are not a faggot

One of these statements is true, and we all know which one.

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth

I don't think that was worded the way you wanted it to be.

B.P.R.D.

Yes

Very few nowadays. 80's-90's had a bit of a small renaissance with western horror comics when they started adapting horror books into comics but that stuff has died down pretty much. Most recent one I got on my shelf was a replica of the children's book from the movie Babadook.

The Eyes of the Cat

Moon Over June.

Damn. Can you at least pretend to be offended out of pity?..

Eh. Had some decent visuals but the writing was pretty shit.

The King in Yellow
The Nightmare Factory

Moore's Providence is good too.

Theres Witch Doctor with horror tropes and monsters but its not really a horror comic.

yeah, I read it in a storytime probably a year or so ago
I thought it was pretty good, especially the art. anything similar to that?

Yeah, it's far more Evil Dead 2 than Hellraiser

Still a fun read

Al Columbia

Holy shit.Source?

Uno Moralez. Look him up, he's a pretty decent artist.

Clive Barker's Hellraiser
Weird War Tales
Fall of Cthulhu

The latest issue of Heavy Metal had a short story about some scientists giving a chimp the puzzle box to solve to see what would happen, which I thought was a great premise.

Then one of the scientists just solves it to prove it's all crap and the interesting part was out the window. It did have Pinhead consoling the scared animal at the end which was a cute touch.

This one is very good. Only 4 issues

>No mention of Creepy
Fuck's wrong with all of you?

not really scary, desu

it's kinda like tales from the crypt, where it's mostly schlocky or downright funny, but rarely ever is actually spooky

I kind of agree with this. I've never been scared reading the book, but I feel really unsettled by the larger insinuations of mankind's extinction brought on the course of the books. There's a way the characters communicate their feelings that they are the last humans of the age, and its one of the few books who's scale can really pull off the "society is becoming unglued" storyline.

Good horror =/= scary as far as I'm concerned, and Creepy is filled with some good ass horror.

Not that good but it s nice reading.

None of the comics mentioned here are scary, which doesn't mean they're not good.
Some Creepy stories like Jenifer genuinely, well... creepy.

Caliban
Providence
Nameless
Richard Corben's body of work

Creepy & Eerie covers were awesome

> Also, if you consider Stephen King a good writer your opinion does not count.
Right out the gate, I can see that you’re a contrarian.

Look, the Mignolaverse comics are the greatest long-running shared universe books in the world right now but I don't know that I would label them as horror

Fuck yes. The Corben book has all the ones he did and it makes you want to frame all of them.

this one

and this one

That girl looks like the girl from Monster House.

The art is good in this one, the script not that much.
It is lovecraft's Call of Cthulhu in comic form.

>Complaining about Stephen King's writing
>Posting Junji Ito
Is this bait?

That ghoul looks like she has a killer rack.

Is that the one where the lady has sex with the fish man?

That sounds sound like a cute ending.

Because comics aren't scary. Good horror comics work on creepy.

No media is "scary" by that logic, it's either unnerving or startles you.

Seconding Caliban.

Also Severed by Scott Synder, 30 days of Night series, (for Templesmith's art alone.) and Abattoir, which is based before the movie.

>Stephen king doesn't count
>Uzumaki does
DURRR
DURRR

The only story I ever found scary by him was the short one about people finding these holes in the shapes of humans in rocks, and people start going into them, and slowly the human shapes start to change and deform the farther you go into them, but you can't back out, so you just keep inching farther and farther in, slowly twisting and deforming your body to do so

I've read Anya's ghost. Never really spooked me.

I can see you're not familiar with Richard Corben.

The one thing I dislike about King's stuff is how he always spoils who's going to fucking die

>He opened the fridge and that was the last sight he ever saw
STOP.

Most of his stories that I've read work off of people's unnatural obsession with something, whether it's spirals, holes, or grease. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Yeah, the three painted comic adaptations of Barker's Books of Blood stories are all pretty good.

It's the follow up to the fish rape story. Much better story too, if you weren't wowed by the Citizen Kane of Fish Rape comics.

need another storytime of Itos stuff. Fun art

>no one mentioning Recife Assombrado

At that point, you're gonna be replaced by some weird fucking doppleganger creature. I'd go out blasting fists, I'm already dead at that point.

Like a solid shit maybe. That ending was the definition of anticlimactic.

>implying Juni Ito writes bad horror

I wish there was an anthology cartoon that featured different horror stories.

>inb4 Freaky Stories

For ADULTS.

>inb4 Heavy Metal

Just HORROR, like Tales from the Crypt or Creepshow.

You have a point. He'd have to write horror to begin with to write bad horror.

Hey Darryl

Thomas Ott is way underrated. You know he did some of that art with a fuckin Scalpel? Neat stuff.

>King is shit
>but Junji Ito is good
Your weeb is showing, they're both shit.

Bait aside, I love the dude but he CANNOT write an ending. He has like an allergy to them or something.

The thing about junji ito´s stories is that something there are so over the top, specially the long running one, that they go from scary to funny, the fucking guys with the tornados at the end was so dumb i love it

You mean how some stories have open-ended finales where not everything is resolved? Some people like that in horror. The intent is to make you feel more uneasy.

His short stories - thats where all the real spooks are. Long stories like Spiral are so ridiculous that you mostly read them to see what kind of bizarre shit he can come up with.

You achieve nothing but dying faster that way.
You won't even get the satisfaction of a single hit.

Beasts of Burden is worth a read, not all of the stories are that scary but the ones that land like pic related are pretty great.

Just kissmanga it, my dude

This looked just like Ito to me, cool that other people are out there making shit just as freaky.
They also share that quirk of making not scary, totally normal shit look creepy and unnerving just based on how they draw.

Best Ito comic was the balloon one from what I've read of him

>Dying faster
>Implying this is a bad thing
You're dead either way, that thing blitzed a telescope's range within seconds. Why not go out fighting for life you have.

Have fun, dearest friend:

www2.mymangalist.org/chapter-uzumaki-1

King at least has The Talisman, the first two Dark Tower books, and Cujo for good things he's written. Cujo was even genuinely sort of scary.

Junji is a great artist but all of his stories are shite. Good premises with aggressively mediocre execution.

Also, The Marquis is a good dark comic, though I wouldn't necessarily call it horror.

What are other good Ito stories to read? From what I remember I already read
>Uzimaki
>the hole one
>robot fish story
>balloon story
>that retarded one about the guy who gets the post through him

What other goodies are there?

No. It's supposed to be comedy.

I enjoyed the one about a creepy old hag who tried to sneak into protagonist's window from her house using a rake. Short but good.

There was also a story in the setting of post-WW2 Japan about a fugitive living in some farmer's barn. Sister of said farmer died in a bombing, so he fucked with the fugitive by making him think that war is still raging on even after it's finished. The ending was outright spooky.

what's that one story where the shadows of this girl's victims appear in the closed alley behind her house? that one's ending was great.

Sorry but not sorry. You just cant see shit in that comic.

"Long Dream" about the man who's nightmares lasted for weeks in dream realm but hours in reality. One of Ito's best short stories.

To be honest you should just read through them all.

Just called The Back Alley.

Can anyone tell me the name of the one Batman comic that is super psychdelic and weird. It kinda goes into Batman as being schizophrenic. Artstyle is kinda shit?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkham_Asylum:_A_Serious_House_on_Serious_Earth

cool, is that part of a comic or something?

There's a lot of great Hellraiser comics and other Clive Barker stories adapted.
Redhead Rex in particular is always a good read.

On the subject of adaptations.
Pretty much EVERY horror movie franchise has dipped their toe into horror comics.

Puppet Masters, Friday the 13th, Child's Play and Hatchet, Freddy vs Jason vs Ash from Evil Dead, Halloween, even fucking GINGERDEAD MAN.
I bet there's even a Treevenge zine out there somewhere.

What makes a comic scary?

>Also, if you consider Stephen King a good writer your opinion does not count.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be up for some Goosebumps graphic novels then

black shadows

lots and lots of black shadows

we had this thread a few months ago with the exact same picture
desuarchive.org/co/thread/95329520/#95329520