Over Here, Funky!

Over Here, Funky!

neat, I saw this a dozen times but hadn't heard of Funky Winkerbean

That had to be a Conan joke.

we had regular funky winkerbean threads a while back while some user storytimed it all
it was surprisingly depressing

It's sad looking back, knowing what we know now about Funky.

I think someone said that at the time this episode aired, Funky was passed out drunk in the middle of a Snowy Street.

It's so fucking crazy how it used to be. I think he toned down over the years but there's always usually some really dark thing (like when that retired principal got a stroke or Bull having that degenerative brain thing due to his college football years)

It's almost like....

No that comic happened on New Year's Eve the year that comic was out. I forgot what comic ran the day that episode aired, though.

I like it. It's different, but he goes to far with it. It's so over the top depressing that it gets funny. He probably needs to tone it down a bit.

But, Funky Winkerbean is a weirdo comic. I love when he does comic book cover homages though.

>Funky Winkerbean

Literally the first time I've heard of it

That girl looks like a boy with long hair

all of it? wow

I was hoping there was a digital copy

if a story timer is paying attention that'd be a great Xmas story time

They all do.

Okay I just checked, this was the comic that was out the day Homer Vs Dignity aired. So nothing that notable on that day...

But the YEAR that Homer Vs Dignity was aired was when you see Funky's relationship with his (first) wife spiral downward while also being an alcoholic in the process.

Any particular reason why?
Is the female cast comprised of trannies?

When the episode came out, sure, but it would have been written right around the time when Lisa's cancer was first being diagnosed.

It usually takes 6-8 months to make a Simpsons episode, right? So that means they started writing it anywhere between March to May 2000? The Lisa story happened in 1999. March to May would partly be around the time Funky and Cindy's marriage was gradually straining and Funky kept drinking:

This particular week was right after the day Homer vs Dignity aired.

damn

keep 'em coming friend

oh my god....funky REALLY let himself go

Damn dude, Funky can't get anything right.

THE FUNNY PAGES, FOLKS!

Most do IRL without makeup on.

damn...

That's a pretty fucked up thing to say to someone whose wife will one day die of cancer

I could see this little arc dong really well in a half hour animation.

Some backstory: Back in 1996, Wade was a homeless guy who phoned the pizza place and deliberately didn't pick up the orders because he knew those orders would be thrown in the dumpster after closing time. Les recognized Wade as a former anchorman/talk-show host who lost his job. Eventually Wade got a job an the pizza place.

There's more than this but I think this is the high note to end it on since it gets more depressing later

Nah, it was in Homer Vs Dignity, Conan was long gone from the show by then.

Huh.