/hyw/ How's Your Webcomic? #428

recycling old thread question cause nobody answered last time
edition
Previous Thread: What would your webcomic be like if it was a cartoon? What would you do differently? Would you have a different artstyle and presentation if you didn't have to do the art yourself? Who would you cast as your beloved characters?

Other urls found in this thread:

design.tutsplus.com/series/human-anatomy-fundamentals--cms-724
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
ggz.thecomicseries.com/
strawpoll.me/14449895
utsukishirosaura.tumblr.com/post/167137490344/part-1-cover
misssandy8.tumblr.com/
stonesofanarchy.org/74.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Scrub Autists SHIT Bag
Heres a short list of sites that any new fucking autist or Coldfusion will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Dont forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
design.tutsplus.com/series/human-anatomy-fundamentals--cms-724

>*-Whats a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Dos and Donts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

>Ctrlpaint.com
>drawabox
>Or just ask YouTube

a bit of a boring page, but at least it's done

next thread we can make the topic what kind of merch you wish your comic could have

Did the rooftop girl guy ever updated his comic?

like loli

the other one's not even at page 6

user asked for a new thread and since I'm about to sleep and can't do it later I just did it now. Not like the old one is going up any time soon.

id figure witches would cast a spell when arresting someone. This bitches are scrawny as fuck

Don't tell me what to do, I'll like what I wanna like

like loli abuse

I won't!

>Scrub Autists SHIT Bag
>Heres a short list of sites that any new fucking autist or Coldfusion will find handy:

kek

ceramic models that shatter from a 6 inch drop

hope one day I could post my comic attempts here where no one knows me

gonna start a new chapter soon

working on the last page of GGZ chapter 2! Its almost done, it just needs some word balloons and the raised skeleton needs to be raised up an inch or two to put a "to be continued thingy underneath him.

dialog is basically:

raised skeleton: "whats good nigga? do a canon ball!"
necromancer: "yeah make a big splash kid!"
Damian: "y,y,y,your a spooky scary skeleton! talking!"

raised skeleton: "...your shitting me."

lmfao! XD

Is there a way of writing "edgy" characters without them being completely cringe?

and its done, i hope yall like it, video later on today maybe.

you can read it here: ggz.thecomicseries.com/

2 chapters complete feels so good man, im feeling very generous i might make some fan art of any webcomic characters that get posted in this thread. who knows? lol

I found this old scrap of something that could be a graphic novel, but was cancelled. What do you think guys?

Have them be humorous or interesting? There's plenty of examples of what not to do
Looks good, I especially like how you managed to distort the figures without losing all their individual character details. Such as the far right figure's glasses.

Do people read short webcomic stories? I'd like to start one, but don't want to create a neverending strip with same characters.

I personally prefer shorter stories to unending serials, the start of a thread would be a good time to make a strawpoll if your curious

>Rules

Once you have an opponent you draw your girl beating/overpowering/getting the best of the the opponent's girl, then the thread votes. The loser has to draw their girl surrendering to the winner.

>Set Bouts

Vryka vs Bryte Suskind (Waiting for Vryka's fight page/pages)

Milly vs Rain (Waiting for both contestants' fight page/pages entries)

>Finished Bouts

Hel vs Sarah (Sarah wins)

>Roster to be randomly sorted

Alice
Rosaura
Rococo
Jenny

LAST DAY TO REGISTER!

There's still time to register your girl. She just needs to be from either a webcomic you have or a webcomic you're creating. The theme is magical girls and witches, but you can bend the rules.

So thread, who are you rooting for to win it all? How far do you think each girl will go?

Art Trade I did for someone with the same birthday as me.

I'm stalling before I have to crawl on my hands and knees learning how to do good background art.

Thanks for a new thread. Here, there will be tall-skinny version too.

Some concert artwork for an art college comics.

DEAD THREAD, DEAD ARTIST!

lol

im doing something for somebody, just touching up somebodies page as a gift/fanart

this is just a sneak preview and a very early wip, i only spent 10 minutes on it so far, its gonna look great when its finished.

heres the original page in all its ms painted glory!

does anyone even know what this comic is called? does it even have a name, the artist and the webcomic its self is very mysterious... lol

Time for some poll&straw

strawpoll.me/14449895

HOLY SHIT!

the guy or girl that has been posting this comic all year long drew this comic so bad, (on purpose maybe), that I just now realized that blue and grey thing on the main characters head is a fucking hat! ive been seeing her in various poses through out the year and im just now figuring out what the fuck the thing on her head is, all year long in these threads seeing this character posted even in animated form sometimes and i thought it was some sort of blue and grey machinery patruding out of her head. lmfao, i thought whe was a cyborg bunny rabbit android girl with a wooden knife that fought monsters and demons and shit, lol wtf?

>strawpoll.me/14449895

i voted 3

i thought she* was a cyborg bunny rabbit android girl

>I just now realized that blue and grey thing on the main characters head is a fucking hat!
You are simply a degenerate, visual arts are not for you.

Yes, it is tiniest hat ever bones. Thanks for the fanart.

It is called super spook adventure.

When are you gonna do that Rococo fight you said you were gonna do?

I'm going to draw my own webcomic!
I'm having trouble at designing the main character, but I'm still doing my best!

Advice from a comics letterer.

What do you want main character to look like?
What is the story about?
How long is the webcomic?

She is meant to be an adorable and energetic little girl! The story is about her stumbling to an evil castle run by an ancient but friendly lich and his various magical and/or undead friends and there the girl just learns valuable life lessons from the crazy crew! I have no idea how long it would be, since its very episodic plot!

Awesome, cant wait to see.

Give her a detective outfit and quirky hair style.

Best of luck, but be sure to make "upload some pages" your priority over "finish the design". You can always go back and edit/redraw the pages later on, it's important to get into a rhythm of drawing and uploading first though.

Lookin good as always, How are you gonna start your journey into making better backgrounds ,fill us in? Got any books or programs in mind?

Hey Sup Forums good morning. I'm back for your advice.

I'm really struggling to get this page to work. Sorry its extra rough today, but I'm stumped. What do you guys think? What works what doesn't?

Same guy as before.

As you said, this is really rough and it's hard to know what your intentions are. I don't know what's going on in the middle. I assume the eyes are its own panel, and that there would be another panel next to it...

Can you at least provide the 'script' for this page? So I know what you're trying to portray in each panel?

Hey Vela, any progress on your fight pics?

Hi everyone
I was busy for some time but now I'm okay. I did some new pages and this here Rosaura in swimsuit for the tournament.

Nice! Who are you hoping to take on?

If you could check the english I would be grateful
honestly I don't know much about the contestants' chracters, someone with the character with quirky personality I guess

Come back, when you are out of highschool.

I believe I will have even less time at the college

Come back when you finish collage.

I like your stuff, poland user.

I believe I will have even less time when I'd find a job

Then complete your career and retired from your job.

>complete your career and retired from your job.
>in Poland

Would you be interested in taking her on if Rain becomes a no show?

Fine, I do it. I don't even know who I am fighting.

miss melee is shit, and rob is a hack

We'll see!

Where is fox and cat dude?

Nyamo does Which way Witch, his entrant is Milly.

Do you got the pic?

See I think there's a link around here somewhere...

2/4
And I forgot about links again
utsukishirosaura.tumblr.com/post/167137490344/part-1-cover
misssandy8.tumblr.com/
thanks

progress is slow cuz i take a super long break inbetween panels to do other stuff lol

ouch

no problem, almost done... kind of...

oh cool, good to know! thanks

ill get around to it

What's the best way to abandon webcomic if it seems like a failure?

Just make a quick ending or announce that you are canceling your comic.

3/4

Kill all the characters then announce the end.

How would you know it's a failure, though? It might get popular eventually.

Yep! Got some done on the weekend, it should be done soon. It looks like it'll be 6 pages

Is king secretly a girl?

4/4

Is this because of hair or small nose?
This hairstyle was common thing back in the day and as for the nose I wanted to give him noble features

Only because of eyes.

Try to remember what edgy writers were attempting in the first place: the rejection of sanitized, cutesy, "safe" substitutions for reality. Then work from there the same way you would anything. Like if you're trying to soften the edges so the character isn't a huge bummer or a total sociopath, soften the edges they actually HAVE, rather than ones they don't. Just be true and genuine to the fundamentals of the archetype.

How many rewrite over the course of how many years has your webcomic went through before you finally got settled on a concrete idea?

>I declare the current strategy meeting initiated.
But this would be even better:
>I hereby initiate the strategy meeting.
>could lead Ramstan to believe that
During strategy meeting Lower Officers are free to go wherever they want. Lucky us.
"This will suffice" works. Consider the following though:
>(That's) Good enough.

Also, add full stops.

I don't get why they would be "girly".

new page
stonesofanarchy.org/74.html

just FYI defence is british english, defense is american.

Noooooo, purple stone guy.

thanks

Please, please PLEASE kill yourself, bones. The original is charming, your version is nothing of the sort. Don’t listen to the trolls artificially inflating your ego; they hate these threads and want you to continue ruining them. These threads will literally never be good until you kill yourself. So get to it!

>What would your webcomic be like if it was a cartoon?

Im animating it right now, so...

>What would you do differently?

So far it's the same, but I only made it easier on myself by removing one monster.

>Would you have a different artstyle and presentation if you didn't have to do the art yourself?

Hatching is a pain already, I'm not doing it for animation.

>Who would you cast as your beloved characters?

Pike is mute, so that's out. Merchant would have a deep and jolly voice.

>Deep and jolly
NOT what I was imagining.

Not strawdud, but what did you think he sounded like?

Not him but I'm imagining something squeaky or high pitched like skull kid's laugh

I unironically love how this page is structured and written like a meme waiting to happen

Somewhere between Peppermint Butler and just a regular calm collected tenor voice. He seems very comically bland and disaffected rather than sounding jolly.
But now that I'm trying to imagine him with a paradoxically deep voice for his size, all I want to do is cast Michael Dorn

bump

Nothing looks stupid, right?

Very nice!

Are there any tutorials on detailing environments or something like that? Every time I draw a background, it feels so, empty and lifeless. Specifically stuff like cities, buildings, rooms.

Not at all you beautiful some of a bitch.

Son* and bump