Just got done watching Luke Cage for a soc class, what did /co think of it?

Just got done watching Luke Cage for a soc class, what did /co think of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

mcuexchange.com/mike-colter-describes-his-initial-concern-with-playing-luke-cage/
youtube.com/watch?v=QnrADpDM5As
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How's he supposed to be such a tough guy if he's afraid of wearing yellow shirts?

Would have been better if Luke was a transgender Mexican.

I thought it was pretty cool.
Don't like the fact that they're showing it in a soc class though.

The real missed opportunity is that they didn't make him Muslim.

her*

It would have been a lot better if they hadn't killed off the villain (nightclub owner, can't think of his name) like 6 or 7 episodes in.

Imagine a black hero taking a stand against crime in Harlem, kicking ass and taking names. Now imagine that hero is a piece of wood.

What's funny is that in the comics, Cottonmouth was the one with powers that could go toe to toe with Luke. Diamondback was just some dude who was good with knives.

The show itself had a very strong flavor to it that I liked, but the lead actor was pretty bland.

Then they screwed up by killing him, because Cottonmouth (and the barber, RIP) was the best thing about the show.

I like the Netflix shows, but sometimes they take too many liberties. Like killing off Elektra before introducing Bullseye.

Luke as a character has always been deadpan.

>always
I think you mean “Since Bendis got his hands on him”

(OP)

It was something unique, I usually don't see shows that involve black protagonists, but me and my brother really enjoyed it and since he is more into rap/blues music, he was ecstasic. I sincerely loved Wu-Tang Clan and the message that Luke Cage tries to tell to those who are minorities. Also the villain was dope, shame he was killed too soon. Hoping to see Season 2 with Black Mariah and Shades vs Luke and Misty :D

Absolutely not. Luke Cage is supposed to a milder black Wolverine. Fuck Bendis, and fuck this show for twisting Luke Cage and his character cast in such a different direction that there is no semblance between the portrayal and the comic counterpart. Same for Iron Fist. They were so scared of offending people that they gave us bland dogshit. It fucking pisses me off as a Heroes for Hire fan.

Also, Mike Colter may look the part, but boy is he miscast for the role. Talk about no personality and not wanting to do any action scenes.

They shouldve kept it like the comics. Diamondback wouldve been more interesting and not some stupid family drama plot.

Soundtrack was GOAT.

Cottonmouth was the superior villain and thinks got worse when Diamondback took over. Some people liked how comic book-y it got, but it clashed at the semi-realism thing they were going for. I also think the whole Trayvon/BLM stuff was too heavy handed.

Shades was pretty cool and I'm kind of glad he got away with it. Misty was a terrible fucking cop.

>and the barber, RIP
Yeah, it's a shame he died so early in the series. His death felt pretty contrived to me.

mcuexchange.com/mike-colter-describes-his-initial-concern-with-playing-luke-cage/

>I was so against it,I revisit the feeling I had, that first initial look at the character, trying to figure out the research and the character, who this is guy this, and I’m like, ‘I don’t want any part of this.’ I couldn’t think of anything that I didn’t want to do more. I didn’t want to do anything physical, a role where it relied on power and all the stuff like that. And also, I didn’t know how the character would be written, I didn’t know what this character was going to be like. It just seemed limiting. I just thought, ‘What could I do with this?’ I hadn’t seen any material yet. The idea of the character made me cringe.”

>“Everybody has an idea of how the character is going to be, and I’m like, this is how I’m going to do it and this is it, take it or leave it. I’m not saying that’s what I said, but I felt like if they were to try and push me in a certain way, that I would’ve walked away from it. There was only one way that I thought this character should be portrayed that I wasn’t going to compromise on.”

This is an actual fucking quote from Mike Colter. The guy picked to play LUKE CAGE is saying not only did he cringe at the very concept of the character, he didn't want to do any physical things.

> I didn’t want to do anything physical, a role where it relied on power and all the stuff like that.
>relied on power
>power

The guy playing fucking POWER MAN didn't want to rely on power. That's Zack Snyder level on hating the source material.

The warning signs were there:

youtube.com/watch?v=QnrADpDM5As

We got a guy wearing "hardcore metrosexual" to play Luke Cage. Talk about a horrible miscasting.

it was pretty good up until Cottonmouth died

then it was awful

>I also think the whole Trayvon/BLM stuff was too heavy handed.

I dont remember any of this. In fact, they took out any semblence of Cage's street background and made him from the countryside. They essentially turned him into a black Superman.

>they take too many liberties
understatement of the century for Punisher

It explains why Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Punisher were nothing like their comic counterparts.

Mediocre, like all Marvel shows except Daredevil.
I really don't think superheroes are cut for being TV shows.

>The idea of the character made me cringe
God what a fucking asshole

>I really don't think superheroes are cut for being TV shows.

I disagree. The premise behind these shows were perfect, almost tailor-made for TV. Street-level heroes with personal drama and action scenes thrown in? That would've been amazing.

Instead, after Daredevil Season 1, we got rushed, half-baked shows that never thought threw their plots, character progression, or dialogue. That's why the middles were always so boring, the characters felt nothing like the comics, and the action scenes were godawful. Such wasted potential.

The Gifted is decent, Legion is great, and Runaways is off to a pretty strong start

also The Tick

I loved the concept, but it would’ve been a little better if they hadn’t killed off every interesting villain in favor of a street fight against a nerd in a catsuit.

He didn’t even have a face-covering. Luke could’ve just punched him in the face.

Can somebody explain this new meme where people do put the last slash at the end of board names?

>Can somebody explain this new meme where people do put the last slash at the end of board names?
I remember one of my old housemates, back in 10/11 would call Sup Forums "slash b". It's a newfag thing, without a doubt.

>>“Everybody has an idea of how the character is going to be, and I’m like, this is how I’m going to do it and this is it, take it or leave it. I’m not saying that’s what I said, but I felt like if they were to try and push me in a certain way, that I would’ve walked away from it. There was only one way that I thought this character should be portrayed that I wasn’t going to compromise on.”
He should have been turned down if he wasn't going to play the character right. Holy shit, that's god awful.