There's no way this can be good right?

There's no way this can be good right?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicsbulletin.com/158380-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

As long as you don't suck Moore cock and have an altar to Watchmen there's a good chance you'll enjoy it. But if you do, well you probably already hate it and are praying to the snake gods to strike Johns down with venomous lightning.

>But if you do, well you probably already hate it and are praying to the snake gods to strike Johns down with venomous lightning.
>not wishing for a giant squid with snake arms to strike him down

Or have a healthy respect for a self-contained formative work of art in a medium we love that was never meant to be "lol but what if Batman showed up" fodder.

But sure, let's go with your homophobic insult for anyone who might have a problem with this crass moneygrab. Congratulations, YOU ARE WHO THIS BOOK IS FOR.

Does anyone know what all the variants look like? I'm wondering if any of them are going to be worth ordering. I've only seen the lenticular Rorschach one and I hate it.

Nothing he said was homophobic and nothing about this book will make Watchmen any worse or less self-contained of a book.

"Sucking Moore's cock" as a synonym for defending a creator is homophobic, and regardless, even this book does no violence to Watchmen itself, it is the kind of pandering, blatant fan-fiction that certain Sup Forumsmrades waste no time jumping all over if it's in the service of a perceived leftist agenda. I'm just making sure there's equal-opportunity bullshit-calling. (The Sup Forumstards on the board love equal opportunity representation, right? kek)

(*"even IF the book does no violence to Watchmen," I meant to say)

>healthy

Judging by your response and jumping to conclusions I would say your reverence for this title is anything but healthy.

Once upon a time I might have agreed with the first part.

I still like Watchmen but seeing as how so many make out as the be all end all of comics I don't mind seeing it's pedestal being tarnished.

I'm having an opinion on the internet, if that's unhealthy, we're all diseased, guy. And I don't know what you mean by jumping to conclusions. I'm just a guy having an opinion about a thing (comics) I care about. I'd be here ranting if they did MAUS 3: MICKEY MAUS too.

Before Watchmen wasnt that bad as many say it was.
So its 50% possible it will be ok. Maybe feel a little bit too desperate but can be enjoyable.

Correct.

Even if the story is passable and the characters make sense and are in character, 12 issues mean it will be so heavily decompressed to where it'll be like Forever Evil and Darkseid War: first couple issues are fine, the next few issues are fucking nothing, and everything is crammed into the last issue or two.

>homophobic insult

I dunno, considering 90% of the people here don't buy comics anyways, why not just read it with the rest of us and we'll find out if its shit or not?

everythings gotta be some black/white fanboy drama shit around here, I'm aware its nothing new but cmon..

>homophobic

Do you think Moore gave a shit about your self-contained nonsense when he purloined characters for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? He most certainly did fucking not.

I'm giving it a chance, mostly because I want to see how the JSA/LOSH teases are resolved

But I'm not super hopeful because the things that make Watchmen good (nuance, pacing, structure, calculated use of art, and allegory) are the exact things Johns is worst at.

I would be more excited for a Johns Watchmen book that played to his strengths (character writing, reverence for material) but this book is clearly about making a statement

you are a collosal faggot, neck yourself.

>"Sucking Moore's cock" as a synonym for defending a creator is homophobic
honest question, how did you end up here, reddit is that way

>respect for a self-contained formative work of art in a medium

This doesn't ruin or affect the seminal classic "Watchmen" in anyway. I'll never understand why you care.

Back when they made another Hitchiker's Guide book by a new author, people were freaking out. It doesn't affect the original books and you can safely and easily ignore it.

It could be good, but it'll still be uncomfortable to see a work and artist I really respect being fucked with.

I don't think Johns has bad intentions, but I feel like the themes he wants to work with here could've been easily done without Watchmen. Hell, use the Earth-4 that was in Multiversity.

Again, do you not understand Moore did the exact same shit with LOEG. He took other people's work and messed with it. His argument is shit and if you appreciate LOEG, same goes for you.

>There's no way this can be good right?
It's Johns writing something other than the Flash. What do you think?

>Superman
>JSA
>Most of GL

So, like, 70/30 towards it being good?

>Johns blaming Moore for all the edgy shit he wrote himself
probably not

fpbp

> Hurr what about League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

> He has also utilized popular fictional characters in works like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Yet this comic provides a dramatic contrast to Watchmen, as it utilizes works in the public domain. Novels like Robert Louis Stevenson’s The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde were allowed to exist under the control of their creators and their estates for a considerable period of time before being made available to the public. In these examples, creators were given control of their works and when that changed, it was made so that they belonged to no individual corporation or group but the entire world.

> There is also the transformative effect of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to be considered. Moore and co-creator Kevin O’Neill go further than adapting or providing sequels to the works they address. In their comics they create an entirely new world that both comments upon its Victorian influences and reshapes them to tell new stories with essentially new characters. A transformative effect falls within the boundaries of “fair use”. However, DC Comics creations in stories like Before Watchmen and Doomsday Clock fall far outside this argument. They are not attempting to transform but clearly add as they state their works are prequels and sequels to the original.

comicsbulletin.com/158380-2/

"Whataboutism" is a logical fallacy

The cynic in me thinks that Doomsday Clock won't address the JSA/Legion threads.

At most, the Legion shit will be addressed in anti-climatic fashion: Saturn Girl turns out to have gone back in time to help Superman beat Manhattan as far as the plot device that helps Superman kick Manhattan's ass. Imra's a walking retcon like the rest of the Legion, meaning Manhattan is blind to her even existing. And her psychic powers are the ultimate checkmate to Manhattan's god-like energy based powers

>"Whataboutism" is a logical fallacy
Oh you saw last week too.
But you are right, he just took existin character and build a worl around them. He never retold the story but what comes after the story in a coexisting world. Its more than just copying.

I unironically hope Rorshach becomes a DC universe mainstay and gets his own monthly book

No, it's a valid point. If the argument is that the creative integrity of characters shouldn't be compromised by use of others then Moore is guilty of it as well. Your arguments are based on no more fact and as much opinion as mine. Moore is simply full of shit because someone else is writing "his" characters, and continuing on with "his" story. And your transformative argument is off as well. That doesn't matter. In fact, I would argue it destroys the original more than anything. If they wanted to make new characters, than just make new characters! I could also add, that Moore pretty much ripped off all the Watchmen characters from Charlton characters anyway. It seems like you are arguing that Batman can't be justified because they haven't taken Bob Kane's creation, and changed him to Lamprey Man or whatever, essentially making a new character. It's not whataboutism. It's noting that Moore is hypocritical. He's whines about the use of his character and story, yet several times (Lost Girls as well!), he takes pre-existing characters and uses them as he chooses. Well, Alan, you don't own the characters and DC is free to do the same.

That's what DC is doing!!! Talking about what comes next in the story!

Johns might write something decent, there's a first time for everything

"Sucking Moore's cock" as a synonym for defending a creator is homophobic

Only if you think only gay men give blowjobs, or that giving a blowjob is an inherently bad action.

Damn, I thought the Supes one was the regular cover. I don't want some faggots with signs.

I think only the lenticular is any more expensive.

I have serious doubts about how well Johns will write the Watchmen characters, but I still expect plenty of good Superman stuff and rad Gary Frank art.

Does anyone have the comci page of Moore watching the tvs report that the Watchmen movie flopped

That was also the original intent with Watchmen when it was going to use the Charlton characters.

There's a storytime right now, go read it and decide for yourself.

Oh Christ, we're gonna be getting a ton of this again, aren't we?

His Justice League was mostly crap and people started acting like it was the only thing he'd ever written.

>November 21th
>a group of anonimouse people discuss about sucking authour's cock and insult each other. possibly homosexual. I also finish beer. Must investigate further

It'll just be setting up the next big thing like Rebirth set up The Button, which set up Doomsday Clock. Stop falling for this

Rebirth is setting this up. You're nuts if you think they'll make any of this shit stick past issue 12.

well he also wrote Flashpoint
and Flash Rebirth
and Blackest Night
and Infinite Crisis

even his "good" works have the same problems of needless edge and the violent murder of minor characters

>needless edge

You might be a pussy if you think there was "edge" in Flash Rebirth, Curse of Shazam, his Superman runs, etc

It's an event by Geoff "The Fanboy Cocksucker" Johns. What the fuck do you think?

>good

Kek

>Geoff Johns takes something mediocre and does something cool with it

Of course it'll be good.

there sure was in JSA and Green Lantern, Flash Rebirth sucks and his Superman is pretty mediocre. Shazam is the odd one out, apparently.

And his Superman. And his Green Lantern. And most of his Flash run. And I'm not even gonna mention how bad his Batman sucks. Shazam and Aquaman are the only two things of his that don't outright suck and even they mostly hover around "OK".

Since when are there so many Johns defenders on Sup Forums? Is it because of all the normie faggots that started showing up post-2014?

>well he also wrote Flashpoint
>and Flash Rebirth
>and Blackest Night
>and Infinite Crisis
>edge
>likes Watchmen

Are you the same faggot who threw a hissy fit over someone saying nigger called it the "n-bomb"?

That's the fucking point, he's going to blame Watchmen for making DC edgy and cynical, when he's a huge reason DC became so edgy and cynical in the 2000s

Aren't you dead?

Geoff "it's Alan Moore's fault that I write shitty edgy books" Johns has the dumbest fans in the world

literately just defensive manchildren, probably all Snyderfags too

>homophobic insult
quit being a nigger

And people say this board doesn't have a tumbl infestation. Fuck off nigger faggot.

zap me pence daddy

back in black.

It doesn't even sound like it will be fun bad like batmetal

As long as he gets his red britches back, it will be.

It doesn't affect it in the long term. Did you know there was a sequel to War of the Worlds, 119 years later? Probably not, because it wasn't good and people eventually forgot about it.

But in the short term, you have to include it in any consideration, like Before Watchmen. And because this is apparently the canonical sequel to Watchmen, your brain is going to associate the two every time, and so will new readers. DC will also use it in consideration for any time they squeeze out new Watchmen shit, so unless it is so unpopular among the normal readers that it just gets intentionally forgotten about it's going to have some staying power.

When does short term turn into long term? I don't know, maybe someone does. But it won't be for a while, that's for sure.

Does LOEG ever claim to be the canonical sequel to any of the works it uses? No? Then it isn't the same thing in the slightest.

I hit the sack!

Do you think LOEG is canonically what comes next after Moby Dick?

It's because people are still fond of his JSA, and Johns been in the industry for 17 years.

Sup Forums loved Johns until Flash Rebirth and even that was easily forgiven. To say otherwise is a massive rewrite of history. Johns hate being the norm is pretty new. Since around 2014 or so actually. His original Flash run was widely celebrated, and Green Lantern was massively popular here. Flashpoint got shit on, and Justice League was shit on but Aquaman balanced it out a bit.

Batman Earth One is great, you're just upset it's not Batgod.

No user you don't understand he "Stole them in an honorable way". That means he is based and we must all suck his cock.

It's not like Moore's really respected others works in the past either. He made Harry Potter the anti-christ out of pure hatred and spite.

It was never a continuation of those stories. You can read it without it destroying what you got out of the original stories. Doomsday clock is considered a continuation of the original watchman. Cynically destroying what made it so great without understanding why it shouldn't have been done. I don't understand why you are defending this piece of shit. However, at least understand the difference.

>what is a parody

“Whataboutism” is what happens when you loose to a racist game show host and have to compare Doomsday Clock to Puerta Rico, Climate Change, and 9/11.

That article is so garbage I’m surprised Berlatsky’s dumb ass didn’t write it.

Superman vs. Dr. Manhattan?

I'd like to see that in a movie.

None of John’s work is cynical.

You think they've read anything he's written outside of Flashpoint?

And Doomsday clock uses dc characters that belong to the company because of what was stated in a contract Moore willingly signed. No other creator is this much of a bitch about DC using characters they made.

Also the purpose of doomsday clock is to contrast philosophies and comment on the impact watchmen had on superhero stories. Even if it ends up being irredeemably bad, the purpose was to make a statement and contrast themes in a way different to Moore's original work.

>Inb4 it's just a cashgrab

All comics are meant to generate income, you might as well give Johns the benefit of the doubt. But anyone who would make an observation as poignant as "DC WANTS TO MAKE MONEY WITH ITS PROPERTIES!!!" probably won't want to see it from any other perspective.

His action comics run is great.

it's just a cashgrab though

>character writing

Excellent bait you fucking faggot

The man created Hunter Zolomon and did great work giving GL an extended cast outside of the corp itself. Among other things. JL is generally considered his weakest work too. Even among his fans.

I will admit that it was nice that his run began and ended with Darkseid.

I think honestly it's biggest issue was being tied up to so many events. Barring Forever Evil the plots he seemed to actually have interest in didn't have room to breath.

I said character WRITING not character creating.

In JSA for example all of the characters have unique voices and what keeps you reading is the development and relationships, not the overarching plot itself. Same for his Superman; he really understands how Clark and the Daily Planet staff should speak and act. Other examples are the way he writes the dynamics between Hal and Sinestro, Mera and Aquaman, the Injustice League in Forever Evil, etc.

Then you have his worst shit like Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night and Darkseid War where the character writing takes a back seat to overwrought shitty plot, and stuff like Infinite Crisis where any intended symbolism and nuance is ruined by poor storytelling.

> his strengths
> reverence for material

Reverent enough to write a sequel, but not enough to not do a project he knows the original writer would be against.

Apparently nobody at DC even told Dave Gibbons about this, he found out from the press release. He said he won't even read it either.

Do we have any idea what the hell its going to be about?

Superman woke up from a nightmare and Rorschach walked through a sewer with two people. I only flipped through my copy. The regular paper felt so nostalgic.

>hahaha, look guize, Batman is falling into rubbish bins because it's realistic! aren't I a graet writer?

Only a braindead moron would call that piece of hackery "great". That story is one of the dumbest pieces of shit I've ever had the misfortune to read. Snarky British edgelord Alfred is literally the only good thing about it.

Why do you Batfags get so fucking analblasted when someone depicts Bruce as a flawed person?

>Implying Johns is capable of writing anything good

Hurr Durr it's not Batgod, so it must be good.
>The state of power level fags.

>Unique character voices
That's why his Superman, Flash, GL, Aquaman all sound the same. You nust have low standard to count his stories as having any sort of character depth. He writes the same characters in the same old three structure comic book movie plots.

a broken clock is right twice a day

You're pretty okay for a black guy

Holy shit I'm gay and I'm not this much of a faggot