discussing with your pals on Sup Forums

manga also has the best art

examples:
dorohedoro
knights of sidonia
berserk
palepoli
shigurui

just to name a few. all vastly different. as for atmosphere and setting, euro comics have been trailing behind everyone outside of old masters like jodorowsky, moebius, pratt... comics are extremely formulaic and represent the static version of arthouse cinema at best (ugh).

t. european

american comics are mostly killed by capeshit but there are a few good ones here and there still.

>dorohedoro
>knights of sidonia
>berserk
>palepoli
>shigurui
And yet the likes of Jack Davis and Joe Kubert were better than all of these.

Kubert and Davis
Better then fucking Miura
Get the fuck outta here

>2 new blacksad volumes said to be coming in 2017
>no sign of them
fuck

Don't forget about Ezquerra, Fabry, Sienkiewicz, etc.

Not shitting on Miura mind you, but Hell, even Bisley is more stylish

Sure they have more style, but Miura got them beat in technical details, movement, and choreography. Show me a fight from Bisley that's on par with Guts vs Zodd in the hills of swords.

Also a lotta of those guys are benefited from colorist.

Really? I always found his poses a wee stiff honestly
In any case, the Lobo vs Santa fight

>manga's art is good for motion

???

>jodorowsky

he could actually draw? huh.

adding a bunch of speed lines doesn't convey movement that much.
meh. franco belgian comics stand out more because they have actual curves. manga usually looks so stiff. japanese art tends to look more baroque and not so fluid.

He's honestly better at comics then at movies, and he's fucking great at movies.

>dude just fill it with lines lmao
Such manga conventions are a crutch, even the art from the first panel of the second page is buried under them
westerners are plenty guilty of their own tho

Toilet paper! lol

Just kidding, American comics aren't good for anything, everything they do is mediocre garbage with fans too stupid to realize how shit taste they have.

Action tend to have a better flow in comparison with your average comic.

You can remove all the speed lines and it's still better than the way most American comics do it, unfortunately. We don't make proper use of perspective.

Honest answer? Honesty.

I can't understand the second panel. Is EVERYONE moving at blistering speed?

your examples suck

>shigurui
this manga was fucking insane

Totally. I think is the most close thing we will ever get to perceive how the samurai mind worked.

Generalizing like this is just a way to start immature debates between people that don't understand anything about comic books. Don't get me wrong, there are usually differences between eastern and western comics, even though most of those barriers have been destroyed during the years, but stating that manga are better at action than american comic books as a whole for exemple is simply ignorant, people are used to pick the low hanging fruits of both and comparing them, but it really depends on the single artists, saying for exemple that Miura is better than James Harren in action scenes is false.
Put aside your stupid biases and enjoy comic books.

Is this bojack horseman

This is fascinating

There's no characters, no movement, and yet I can still immediately tell it was drawn by Miura, even without your comment

to be fair who else draws like the jap version of Giger and Dore's bastard

In every industry whether it be movies, music, or animation, you name it and there is a lot of junk.
That's true of American comics, bande-dessinée, or manga as well.

But there is good stuff to if you're willing to look for it.

Pic related: Ragnarok by Walt Simonson

We do weird really well

SJW and progressiveness. Just like canadian comics but canadian comics are gayer

Miura technically has a western art style due learning techniques and how to draw from M.C. Escher's style. This why he's able to pack so much detail into his art.

On the other hand, some eurocomics are dynamic as hell, through I have newer ones in mind. Kairos is pure action. It almost animates itself.

>American art is good for . . . ?

Extensive shadows and textured art
showing of fun but, complex plots and story progression
And alot of times symbolic messages easily formulated into characteristics, of given characters

examples:
Hellblazer
Sandman
Peanuts
Dr. Seuss books
Political Cartoons
ect.

very easy to find OP, you should read more of our comics :)

why, what's wrong with that gecko?

>Counting british invasion as american
laughingsluts.jpg

Obviously it's running low on geck juice and the friendly opossum is refilling it.

>Most of his examples use Euro artists
What did he mean by this

Why do so many French comics and cartoons have a American setting?

You should read Yamaguchi's earlier works if you want to see some real insanity.

>Santa
You mean Kris "Krusher" Kringle.

This

I don’t why. But that makes me hungry

Because we're the best, user.

Having color for one

Alright, count out the "Euro" artists.
>inb4 Schultz

Legally Immigrated and one generation off Immigrated artists count as American ones by world law.

Well humor, obviously.

Most (highlight most) manga completely forgo any sort of background or setting around a character. Western comics often include everything that is around a character in most panels.

this basic page would basically never be drawn in manga

Are you fucking kidding, mate almost every artist from Hellblazer was British, same with the writers, it might as well have been published in 2000AD.

Is this the part where I don't post a page from Nihei entire career?

>Most (highlight most) manga completely forgo any sort of background or setting around a character.
Do you exclusively read 4komas and manga from before the 70's? Even basic ecchi manga, like pic related, don't forgo backgrounds anymore.

>literally a ninja in anime poses

>mate almost every artist from Hellblazer was British

8 out of all 21 of them. American publisher, American product.

NEXT!

You have not read enough American comics.

I'd say that American comics have a much broader diversity of styles than any other country, since innovation and individuality in style is much more prioritized, although I think that superhero comics, at least as they exist now, are smothering that aspect.
>Euro comics art is good for atmosphere and setting
There are too many good non-European artists for me to agree, such as pic related.
>Manga's art is good for motion and choreography
Yeah.

>Shigurui
My man! Good to see another true patrician.

Apocalypse Zero is wacky, but Shigurui has it beat when it comes to insane people.

Gennosuke and Irako are two pathologically fucked up people from a culture that cultivates that shit. Even Yamaguchi explained it in narration, to the effect of: a hierarchy of masochists ruled by sadists.

Good art is good whereas bad art is bad, regardless of the place of origin.

>more baroque
What do you mean by "Baroque".
Because baroque architectural style is full of curbs and twirls.

2017 isnt over yet.

>dorohedoro
My male sibling of african descent. Can't wait to see how it all ends.

>innovation and individuality in style is much more prioritized
if anything, I'll use this to characterize euro comics over all the others, even as the one quality determining it. It's an author based environnement, with a lot of one-shot.

>No natural flow of movement from panel to panel

Film adaptations.

Bad example.

>My male sibling of african descent. Can't wait to see how it all ends.
Me too if only IT DIDN'T TAKE SO LONG
When was the last update, 2 months ago? I'm waiting it to be proper finish to read it all in one set

I think a lot of it is tie to the number of pages available.
Drawing a good action scene or dialogue takes a lot of pages.

There's a lot of french comics where a shooting is done in about 3 panels. The bad guy shot, the good guy shot, the bad guy is hit. And you don't feel anything reading it.
But in a 50 pages comic book, taking 3 pages to make an exciting shooting means 3 pages less to tell the events of the story.

Same thing with dialogue. You often see dialogue that are one big panel with 2 or 3 big bubbles. It looks like an exchange of monologues (like in theater) rather than two people talking.

American comics are a little less plague by this than French comics, but the 6 chapters arc structure often means than the 2 first chapters' dialogues are exposition dump and the 2 last chapters' dialogues are full of explanation of what happened.

Of course, some authors and artists make great comics despite (or because of) this constraint.

This varied a lot according to mangaka and type of scenes.

American comics, specifically capeshit, does mythos in a way european comics and manga generally don't. Capeshit is a kind of modern mythology, in the sense that the stories are communal i.e. many different authors and artists working on different iterations of the same set of characters - and in that each character/universe's canon is semi-flexible and still developing. Bits and pieces are added, it's adjusted to fit contemporary taste and setting. Some stories reach an iconic status and are permanently cemented into the mythos, while others wither away, destined to be forgotten. American capeshit is good, not just for any particular comic, but for the general stories. For the way we describe those characters, their histories and their struggles, to someone who has never read a comic.

Also DC/Marvel copyrights on these characters really need to expire

that's not how mythology works no matter what bald scotsman told you to amplify his paycheck. mythology is not the same as lore and even lore wasn't developed that way. it's not even at the level of shakespearean theatre (which is largely forgotten today).