So, I didn't watch the movie...

So, I didn't watch the movie. But now that I try to remember why this wasn't popular I cannot remember any criticism other than "it was like watching Iron Man but bad" and the CGI costume.
People thought the story was bad but I just don't remember why.

Now that we got a bunch of Marvel movies with the Iron Man formula, and a bunch of Snyder movies failing because of the tone, why didn't this work and why do people still hate?

Other urls found in this thread:

movieweb.com/man-of-steel-producer-jon-peters-big-payday/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I never got the hate. It's nothing special, but it's perfectly A watchable time waster.

It's like a big budget CW movie.

The movie was CGI heavy and was ugly, Parrallax was awful, Hammond was ok, Ryan Reynolds sucks as a leading man, and the script was like two stories jammed together

It's worldbuilding and lore foremost, to the detriment of character. Reynolds Hal is a dude. That's all I remember of him. I don;t know what he is trying to accomplish in live, what he strives for, what he tries to protect or anything. Yet I have had heaps of infodump about the Green Lanterns, yet none of that stuck because it was just too much information with a lot of it not necessary for the movie. Finally, the CGI was just bad. But bad CGI doesn't make a good movie bad, it however makes a bad movie worse. And that's what happened.

>It's worldbuilding and lore foremost, to the detriment of character.
In a vacuum, this statement does not describe a bad movie/is not a negative.

90% of the hate was for the special effects and the terrible CGI suit. I never saw it in 3D, but apparently that version made it even worse.

not him but
>Reynolds Hal is a dude. That's all I remember of him. I don;t know what he is trying to accomplish in live, what he strives for, what he tries to protect or anything.
is a super good criticism. An unmotivated main character is a bad character. Someone the audience can't invest into.

This movie had a $200 million budget and looked terrible

I didn't like Reynolds as GL, but the audience doesn't need a relatable character in a movie.

Reynolds was playing funnyjokeman and felt and looked nothing like Hal, the humor in general fell flat on its face and the whole thing looked like absolute shit.

>Ryan Reynolds sucks as a leading man
lol no
he just had a shitty boring script to work with

Because it wasnt EXACTLY like the comics for canonfags and it was too much CGI generally. Other than it was okay for capeshit desu

>he's never seen Buried

>relatable buzzword
what's this? a korra thread?
It's about a compelling character, not a relatable one. And yes they do.

>And yes they do.
But compelling is more subjective than relatable. (in a way, relatable is very subjective, but you know what I mean) (I think).
Compelling is more broad than relatable, put it that way.

>But compelling is more subjective than relatable.
Also making a compelling character is like one of the easiest things in the world: Give the character a motivation and make them act according to it. It doesn't even have to be a goal. It can be as easy as "wanting to keep their routine but stuff around them doesn't let them"

Taika Waititi and Ryan Reynolds came out of that mess and ended up making two of the best and funniest superhero movies ever.

I think if there's any positive about Green Lantern it could be that it showed those two exactly what not to do with a big budget superhero flick.

>if you take things out of context then woooow really makes you think

Both Deadpool and Thor 3 are middle of the road at best.

ok Sup Forums

Because other marvel movies with the Iron Man formula are like watching Iron Man but still good lmao.

>Because other marvel movies with the Iron Man formula are like watching Iron Man but still good
No they aren't. The other Marvel movies are more like watching IM2 over and over again.

I actually liked the Green Lantern movie. I bet the new one is going to be terrible dark. How come when it comes to superhero films there is never a middle ground? It's either grim as fuck dark or hilariously comical to a point where suspension of disbelief is itself suspended and you begin to think everybody is an asshole making jokes during a serious situation.

> the script was like two stories jammed together
This. it was like the first half of the movie was a late teen-early adult story of a superhero coming to terms with having powers suddenly.
the 2nd half was like a standard blow shit up summer action movie but with ugly CGI eveywhere

Also they really REALLY tried way too hard to make Hal funny. Hal isnt funny, he's supposed to be a hard headed rogue with a heart of gold type of character. Gets under the skin of ever authority figure but still gets the job done despite ignoring procedure. None of that, instead a lot of flat jokes that die with nary a whimper of pity laughter

>why didn't this work and why do people still hate?
(You) might want to try
>So, I didn't watch the movie.
Amending this first.

>In a vacuum, this statement does not describe a bad movie/is not a negative.

Yes it is.

I came here to watch a movie, not read your Player's Handbook for how your universe works.

>i know right?!
>funvee vs humdrumvee
>bacon cgi suit

I remember the memes before the movie came out

no, that's like 2 hours of my life

>Yes it is.
Nope. You're just wrong. Your taste=/=the only valid approach to storytelling.

At the time it came out the CGI was shoddy as shit, and the entire film was filled with it. It was mostly poor artistic choices, desu. CGI suit was a bad idea and making constructs look like green jello was also a bad idea.

The characters were pretty bad too, apart from Sinestro which was underused (Marvel did it right in Doctor Strange by having Karl Mordo ever present as both a hero and turn to villain). Hal was just unfunny and undeserving of being a hero, basically forced by the writers to be one. Hammond as a villain was odd given that they wanted to moved towards a Geoff Johns storyline rather than a Silver Age one. Hell when it came to characterization they tried really hard to make Hal sympathetic but he really just came across as a bully when paired with Hammond.

Then the end of the film happens and it's a CGI cloud monster that's about to destroy Earth but apparently a single rookie lantern is all that's needed to stop it. Just shoddy all around.

>(Marvel did it right in Doctor Strange by having Karl Mordo ever present as both a hero and turn to villain
But that was beyond rushed.

get a load of this bros
WB executives are borderline retarded, and single handedly responsible behind GL, JL, BvS and SS flopping

So I never paid attention to the news and didn't vote but I don't get the all the hate about the election? I mean, it's all she sold uranium via email scams to Russians and he sexually assaulted Miss Universe because he likes thick but his kids have audiotapes of him peeing on her, and sold them to tumblr, which is blackmailing him for tax cuts. I mean, we have all this repression of our second amendment rights to carry and when people want to protest that these statutes needs to be melted down because of this repression, all the other side can do is claim that it's in her emails that the Ukrainians sold to the North Koreans who want to photo bomb all of his Instagram post because of social media envy.

Hal can be funny. Heck, all of the Marvel characters are funny. But, their humor is a reflection of their character. The problem is that this Hal has no character.

There is a simple question any writer should ask of their characters: Why do they get out of bed in the morning? For Tony Stark, he would get up to try and miitgate the guilt he has for all the weapons he has sold. For Bruce Wayne, he wants to prevent what happened to him for happening to anyone else. For Hal, it's...?

You're right, it's not the only valid approach to storytelling. However, we're not talking storytelling, we're talking movie storytelling. And a movie that is just worldbuilding and lore, without a plot, without characters that are distinct and on a story arch, you don't have a movie. You have a documentary. And for a movie or documentary are distinct rules that allow for optimized viewing pleasure. If you don't hold to those rules, you will not have an entertained audience. And in that case, yes, there are valid and non-valid approaches to storytelling. And this is clearly a non-valid approach.

I laughed

The worst part of the movie was that the protagonist was utterly unlikable. There was nothing redeeming about Hal Jordan, he was just a selfish spoiled asshole who lucked into a magic ring which made his life even more awesome.

That kind of character can only work if they're funny or charming.

WB is the EA of movies.

>And a movie that is just worldbuilding and lore, without a plot, without characters that are distinct and on a story arch, you don't have a movie. You have a documentary. And for a movie or documentary are distinct rules that allow for optimized viewing pleasure. If you don't hold to those rules, you will not have an entertained audience. And in that case, yes, there are valid and non-valid approaches to storytelling. And this is clearly a non-valid approach.
You're still doing it. Different people are entertained by different things.

>Heck, all of the Marvel characters are funny. But, their humor is a reflection of their character
Is this a real post?
Post- Avengers MCU sucks because every character is shades of Whedon now.
Look at Thor 3. Thor is not the same person anymore.

>So, I didn't watch the movie.
Then go fucking watch it before talking about it.

>Hal is unlikable as fuck in it.
Hal should be cocky and sure of himself but Ryan played him as a straight up dick, and not a likable dick like Guy, just a dick dick.
>The villian was lame as fuck.
Hecter just looked stupid and they butchered the shit out of Parallax turning him into a fucking space cloud.
>Way too much time on Earth.
The entire thing should've been set in space.

It's worst flaw though is just that it was kinda boring.

>Look at Thor 3. Thor is not the same person anymore.
Thank God
Also he is. He is still a smug warrior dude who is nice to mortals. He doesn't even quip, his jokes are at his expense.

He's more Thor than ever.

Thor in Thor 3 is build on the moments of characterization that directors allowed the actor in T1 and T2. Like hanging the hammer on the coatrack, or smashing the drink on the floor and asking for another. Those bits of improv were the closest the actor and the character were in sync. So, they took those moments, and made a movie out of it.

I don't understand how anyone can be this disconnected from reality
Must be all the cocaine frying their brains.

BUY HOTWHEELS

i only saw it the one time when it came out but i thoroughly recall the problem was the CGI suit all the unnecessary parts on earth, the pacing was the worst, every 5 mins theyre in space and then on earth back and forth, another poorly executed villain and your usual DC goofiness they try to pass off as comedy and fall short.

>and your usual DC goofiness they try to pass off as comedy
>usual DC goofiness
To what are you referring, Mr. Orange Slices?

They made Parallax into a space fart like what they did to Galactus also Hammond was powered up by Parallax, it was weird. Girl who played Carol was pretty hot tho and Mark Strong was great as Sinestro.

>your usual DC goofiness
I don't know what you;re talking about, all the DC movies of the last decade could have used some goofiness to lighten the fucking mood.

Eh, what ? Thor in the first movie was boisterous guy who let his ego run things too much and didn't take anything seriously. Then on the 2nd movie he went into other direction becoming somewhat way too serious .The 3rd movie Thor is something between those two extremes, indicating that he has learned from all his adventures.

A character that nobody cares about with an actor with the charisma of a brick and a story that nobody cared about either.

WB execs wanted Parallax shoved in despite Johns and others saying it was a bad idea. The original script was just Hector and honestly that would have fixed some problems.

I think they massively botched The Wall too.

At the time Green Lantern was outselling everything on a consistent basis. He had massive traction that's to John's run and after the movie his chance to be a true a lister was dead.

I mean, you could just look at the Hot Wheels segment and then imagine what the fuck they were thinking

Ryan Reynolds has a lot of charisma. But you can do only so much with that.

I saw it in 3D, and could barely make out what was happening because the glasses made the screen look really dark. I had to take them off to be able to see any space scenes.

It's fucking boring.

That story reminds me of that producer who was obsessed with spiders and polar bears. Theres a video around with Kevin Smith talking about trying to work with him but all he ever did was insist a giant spider be inserted into the movie somehow. He was also a producer for the Wild Wild West.

I think some famous stories of the guy include trying to make a new Superman movie back in the 90s and having it be about Superman fighting bears at the fortress of solitude. Or trying to get a Sandman movie made about Morphius fighting evil nightmare spiders.

Here is the exact moment I check out of that movie: Hal gets taken by the ring to meet a bin sure and become a new green lantern. When he's picked up it's daytime. The ring takes him so far away that day turns into night when he arrives, but not so far away that Hal couldn't just call his work buddy for a ride home. Which he does.

The producer's name is Jon Peters, and yeah he was kind of crazy. The bears came because he said the movie was missing an action beat where Brainiac is at the Fortress, so Smith suggested that he could fight a polar bear before going inside.

Also he didn't want to see Superman fly or wearing his costume. "Too faggy."

Also also he said he and Smith would make a good movie because, "We're from the streets." Keep in mind this man got his start as Barbara Streisand's hairdresser.

Hector was pretty shit though. I can't remember another comic book villain that actively turned me off as he did. They made him such an aggressive loser that it was actually knida hard to watch.

It was just horrible, even after I saw the RT ratings, all I could think was it can't be that bad.
But it turned out be horrendous, too much earth drama that's unnecessary when it should've been all about the lanterns doing ring shit in space.

>this was supposed to kick start the DCEU
>bombed so hard no green lantern was considered for Justice League
>Ryan Reynolds did Deadpool and had the highest grossing R rated movie/most successful fox capeshit to date
Is DCEU just cursed at this point?

Worldbuilding alone doesn't make for a good movie. The audience has to actually give a shit about the characters that inhabit that world.

Wonder Woman was good and did well, but considering the other movies, I think it was just a fluke.

Johns did that in his run of Green Lantern too.

This pretty much. When you're doing an origin story movie, it's kinda important to actually introduce the character instead of having him just be there. Should've been a lot more of showing who Hal Jordan is and what makes him a hero, and leave the intricate details of the Green Lantern Corps for another movie.

And I actually quite liked the IDEA of the Green Lantern suit being CGI since it's a ring construct, but the CGI was so bad that it was distracting.

Sounds like Justice League.

Same as JL was Avengers, but bad.

Not only was the plot subpar and the CGI horrible, it promises wacky space cop adventures and spends the rest of the movie on boring earth, first flight was a much better GL movie

>There was nothing redeeming about Hal Jordan, he was just a selfish spoiled asshole who lucked into a magic ring which made his life even more awesome.

So, basically, what you're saying is that they perfectly captured Hal Jordan?

>There is a simple question any writer should ask of their characters: Why do they get out of bed in the morning? For Tony Stark, he would get up to try and miitgate the guilt he has for all the weapons he has sold. For Bruce Wayne, he wants to prevent what happened to him for happening to anyone else. For Hal, it's...?

HAMBURGERS

>Snyder movies failing because of the tone
Still with this shit?

Ehasz fanboy pls go.

The story was also terrible, I don't get where people are getting this "the CGI was just really bad" from. The story was Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer tier.

The story drops the ball in several places.
Yeah, it was a bit too Iron Man-like. The CGI wasn't just "bad" it was ugly. Everything looked like it was made of snot. Oa looked like a world made of mucus.
Even Parallax looked like a giant wad of phlegm.

One thing that stood out to me was when GL shows up to woo Carol. He could have taken her into space and sat down to chat on the moon or something. Like how Superman took Lois flying.
But nah, they sit on the roof of the airport. Wow... Kind of indicative of the whole movie really.

They were setting up for a sequel but forgot to make the movie it's self engaging.
CGI and shit aside. There was something missing from the story. Some of the characters were likeable and if they did a sequel it would have been nice to see them again but the movie felt bogged down.

I think one person said it best: this Green lantern movie was not a film-adaptation of a GL comic; it was a film-adaptation of a GL checklist. The movie checked off the boxes of what makes GL; but it lacked any "soul" nor cared for proper characterization or level respect for the source.

The villain was more sympathetic than the hero. They tried to make Hal a lovable dick but they forgot the lovable part so he's just an asshole.
The romance lacked chemistry so badly that the most memorable thing about it is that in one scene there's a Pocket Fighter arcade machine in the background.
It's really obvious that the movie is a Frankenstein of (at least) two different scripts. Like, Justice League reshoots obvious.
It's a space opera that seems obsessed with staying out of space as much as possible.
And yes, the CGI aged like milk that was left on a radiator.

The intro scene with the plane test is an awful way to establish Hal as someone you should like. In a better movie you can have that scene almost exactly the same but without any limitations. Then when the planes are destroyed you establish the testers are pissed they were shown up, but begrudgingly acknowledge Hal found a flaw at high altitudes.

But instead they make it clear that the testers are aware their planes don't work in high altitudes and structured the challenge around that. Hal breaking those restrictions means not only is not cleverly exposing an unknown flaw, he's deliberately cheating and destroying equipment just to win a challenge. There's no cleverness, no "I hate him but he's ultimately right", he's just being an asshole.

Hal kept flip-flopping between "I AM WITHOUT FEAR" to "OH SHIT MY DAD DIED IN A PLANE, I AM FREEZING UP". The aliens were only on screen for 15 minutes during a training montage. HOT WHEELS. Hammond being more sympathetic than Hal and Parallax being a fart cloud. Lots of issues.

>Thor 3
>Best and funniest

I can´t imagine how brain damaged you must be to enjoy the tasteless and unfunny jokes of that movie. You get a pass if you´re

Not a good movie but its problems could've been fixed in a sequel, no need to not make it canon to the DCEU.

How is hanging his hammer on the coatrack like thor?
I've read maybe 1 thor comic in my life so I don't really know, but is that something he does often?

I finally sat down and watched this last year, and felt like there was almost an acceptable movie buried somewhere deep, deep underneath the mountain of mediocre Geoff Johns canon, the miscast lead (Reynolds should have played Wally West), the Cinematic Universe/sequel set up, the disappointing visual effects, and the unnecessary second villain.

Apparently he changed his mind because he produced Superman Returns and Man of Steel later on.

He was responsible for a shitload of comedies in the 80's but after 89 Batman he only ever wanted every movie to be a toy commercial. And used to piss off his production crews with trying to make everything that appeared in the film friendly for toy tie-ins.

Bombed so hard that Warner has been burying all things Green Lantern ever since.

Now we have no Green Lantern on JLA movie or JL Action series, Lanterns are removed from everything.

And then to compound that they have the guys that he got fired show up and that's the first use of his powers; Hal beating up people that he intentionally screwed over for no reason.

Again, not true. YOU need relatable characters. I don't.

Most cape films are middle of the road at best. There hasn't been a legitimately great cape film yet.

Logan? Hellboy?

Comic Hal Jordan's life is a fucking mess and the ring arguably only made it worse

The Dark Knight.

I heard that Didio will fip posters off the wall in the offices if he sees a Lantern on it

Logan, X2, Deadpool, Reeves' Superman 1 and 2, Batman Begins and Mystery Men

>arguably
Well, I mean there was that whole Parallax thing. Or Coast City being blown up thing. Or..nah fuck it.

Oh, but that's the best part. He did absolutely nothing on Returns and MoS and made nearly 100 million because of them. It's like how Stan Lee gets Executive Producer credits on a lot of Marvel movies but doesn't actually do anything. In Jon's case, because he spearheaded the Superman Lives project, he retained the 7.5% of the gross for a Superman movie based on his contract for Lives.

>Well, he was good enough, or at least smart enough, to make about $80 million for doing absolutely nothing on both Superman Returns and Man of Steel.

>"I have 7.5 percent of the gross. Together they did [more than] a billion."

movieweb.com/man-of-steel-producer-jon-peters-big-payday/

unlikeable hero
bad acting
stupid costume
cringeworthy use of powers (this is GL almost all the time, but more so than normal)
dumb villain

The villain was sympathetic while the hero was a douche

WB really missed a beat by not making Supermax their gateway movie for a cinematic universe. You had a decent one line pitch "prison movie with superpowers", a low profile hero who you could easily transition with into more well known characters (just like they did with Arrow on their fucking soap opera channel) and an opportunity to lay the ground for the wider universe without it bogging down the actual film too much.

Instead right out the gate they aped their competition without forging their own path, dooming themselves to unfavorable comparisons right from the beginning. And then when they tried to do it their own way they did it in the most retarded way imaginable.