Is DOOM who he says he is?!

Doctor Victor von Doom
>Is not an actual doctor
>Victor is not a Romani name, and it's not even spelled with a 'k' like in most of Central and Eastern Europe
>'von' is a German preposition, implying German ancestry, but he claims Romani ancestry
>if he had German ancestry, Victor would be spelled with a 'k' and not a 'c'
>Doom is actually an English noun, not a name, and it has no roots in Romani or Eastern European cultures
>claims to be Romani, but refers to them as Gypsies, seemingly not knowing that Romani don't refer to themselves as Gypsies
Is Vic really who he says he is?

Other urls found in this thread:

ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=doom
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yenish_people
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>Doom is actually an English noun, not a name, and it has no roots in Romani or Eastern European cultures

But that's somewhat wrong. It's Dutch: ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=doom

Doom is a council of Doombots. Doom has been dead for years.

something something canon racist

No, stop. That's retarded as fuck.

>No, stop.
Make me.

He's an amalganation of a whole heap of "exotic continentals" stereotypes from 19th century english adventure novels.

You're welcome.

Doom's Romani family married various German and Dutch royalties to form alliances and consolidate their power.

He gave himself honorable doctorates just to one-up Richards.

Why is all that so hard to understand?

Why would a bunch of royals marry gyppos?

>royals
>marrying vaguely human shaped vermin like gypsies

>Royals
>Marrying gypsy trash
I know comics aren't always realistic, but that is just way to far out

I think you mean honorary doctorates.

Something something deal with Mephisto something

But that was for purely mystical power. The "Cynthia made a deal with Mephisto for Doom to be great" is pure fan-fic. Not Books of Doom mentions that he gained awareness in the womb due to her magic shit, but that'sboth not the same, and unreliable info.

Welp, best I could do

>Is not an actual doctor
Not from America. Pretty sure he "got" degrees from Latverian schools later on.
>Victor is not a Romani name, and it's not even spelled with a 'k' like in most of Central and Eastern Europe
>'von' is a German preposition, implying German ancestry, but he claims Romani ancestry
>if he had German ancestry, Victor would be spelled with a 'k' and not a 'c'

According to the wiki what is now Latveria was created by some guys with German sounding names. The Balkans and Hungary do have a sizeable ethnic german population, so it would make since that there would be germanic influence on the language. As for the spelling of Victor it could be that he, or wider Latveria, adopted the english spelling.

Based doom doesn’t need paper diploma

So he's not a Gyppo, but a Nomadic Latverian. They can retcon Goblin-Kids and rapes, but not something to explain why he,and his whole fucking tribe, look like Slavs instead of Pajeets? It's been 650 fucking years.

So he's a Yenish?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yenish_people

Lots of gypsies don't look like Pajeets because of interbreeding with Europeans btw.

>Netherlands
>Eastern Europe

They didn’t retcon Goblin kids. Slott rubs that shit in all the time.

>Victor is not a Romani name,
>Doom is actually an English noun, not a name, and it has no roots in Romani or Eastern European cultures

Irrelevant, gypsies use any random name they hear and think it sounds nice. Guy I know who works in the welfare office told me stories about meeting with Xaviers and Josés and Cleopatras all the time.

t. Hungarian

Latveria is said to be between the modern hungarian, romanian, and serbian borders. That would put it in an area that was historically a part of the Kingdom of Hungary. Specifically, in an area that was occupied by the Ottoman Turks between the 16th and 17th centuries, and had most of the native populace driven out in that time. When the Austrians drove out the Turks, they had to get people there to work the lands, as a result there was an influx of german speaking immigrants (Hungary was ruled by Austrian emperors at the time).

It is entirely possible, even historically accurate, for Doom to have German ancestry.

>claims to be Romani, but refers to them as Gypsies, seemingly not knowing that Romani don't refer to themselves as Gypsies

Romani (or Roma) is the politically correct term. Gypsies is what they were called for the longest time, until the term became offensive due to being used in a pejorative manner (largely due to them being well known for their disregard of the laws of the land). Gypsies do refer to themselves as gypsies.

It is the same as black people using nigger among themselves, but if whitey boy calls them niggers, dats raycist, they should be referred to as african american or people of colour.

i mean gyppos are master conmen add in the odd ridiculously hot woman, and boom you've got her royally knocked up

Gypsies have a long history of pretending to be Egyptian. That's where the name comes from.

No. People thought they came from Egypt as opposed to India. You can even see that with the current etymology of their name being a corruption of egyptian.

It's a preposition implying noble ancestry. But in many cases it was adopted by social climbers trying to obtain special legal/social privileges associated with the nobility. So likely Doom's gypsy ancestors had done this in the past.

How dare you petty human question Doom?

>People thought they came from Egypt
Because they said they were coming from "little Egypt" (whatever that was supposed to mean), they were specifically posing as Christian refugees. In France they went around with a fake letter of recomendation from the pope.
>You can even see that with the current etymology of their name being a corruption of egyptian.
That's why I said
>That's where the name comes from.

I learn something new everyday

And Mel Brooks uses a lot of Jewish stereotypes for comedy despite being Jewish himself. It's like an N-Word privillege kind of thing, user.

Dōmr is the Norse root of the word

So what the fuck is the consensus here?

He's a Balkan with some Germanic ties born into a Native but Nomadic Latverian group. He's a Gypsy,but in the vein that Irish Travellers are called Gyppos.

Best thing I can come up with anyway. Because the guy in OP's pic is most definitely NOT a Roma Gyp.