What went wrong?

youtu.be/VSrv_n4tw7w
Kino trailer.
Kino first two episodes.
Rest of the show was pure shit.

What the fuck was wrong with the third episode?

Second half.
Suddenly Jack is okay with killing people after a mental breakdown and kills all of the Daughters of Aku leaving the only named one alive (HOW CONVENIENT).

Ashi ruin it.

Honestly what the fuck was Genndy thinking? He had only 10 episodes and he still tried to shove in his shitty waifu and waste 3/4 of the show for her "development".

He should have just shacked up with one of the Scotsman's daughters desu.

Almost everything

He's a hack and you all let nostalgia blind you to that fact

Western cartoons are adapting to the way of the waifu, they were influenced too much by Japanese media. It's gonna be around for a while.

It was bad from the beginning but it's true the quality of the first 2 eps was significantly higher than the rest. First problem is going completely out-of-theme with the previous material for the sake of being """mature""", i.e. without any proper justification (that is, the start of s05 does not follow from any logical outcome from s04 or anything inbetween, and the suggested explanation was retarded).
It's clear that instead of providing a continuation and ending to the story they instead wanted to make a lot of money. This is why ashi existed at all and why everything related to ashi happened the way it has (again, completely out-of-theme for the series).
It also seems that they concentrated budget expenditure in early episodes, most likely to pitch it to studios. The rest was obviously rushed, with the writing taking a nosedive, even though as explained it wasn't exactly great even from the start.

Because he recalled the repressed memory from a teaching by his father. It wasn't "Oh well, might as well kill everyone now". He had no choice since they would keep coming for him forever.

But that in itself was completely out there. An asspulled explanation to try to fix the gaping hole, only offered as consolation for the horrible retcon that happened.

Please stop talking like we are on Sup Forums.

Meh, he'd been doing the same shit for 50 years and at the time clearly thought there was no more hope of defeating Aku. Also, there was the whole mental breakdown of arguing with himself.

I can understand him now killing. Also, gotta make some use of being on Adult Swim I guess.

It just didn't feel like it was fully developed at all. Everything attempted was resolved in the worst way possible. The cameos felt so forced that I would've rather not had them.

>Build up a mysterious figure following Jack whenever he fells guilt
>Turns out it's a spoopy ghost to punch for a few minutes

>Jack has inner turmoil about his failures
>Tea

>Final showdown with Aku and Jack
>Jack doesn't even fight Aku until the past where he wins quickly

>OH YEAH I CAN MAKE TIME PORTALS!

>Finally show Jack triumphant and happy
>jk bye Ashi
>End the series on exposition explaining why she dies

>Jack doesn't have his sword
>Build up the concern for if Aku finds out
>Nevermind, Jack has it back in time

Wait, when did Jack have a code against killing? It seems kinda antithetical to the whole "Samurai" thing.

I thought "all the bad guys are conveniently robots, cyborgs, or supernatural things" was a contrivance to let Jack rip and tear without freaking out the censors.

Ashi and just about everything relating to her was the only real problem.

Jack killing was fine, if it had premiered on Adult Swim in the first place you can bet your ass all those robots would've been replaced with people. I don't see why finally getting away from censorship was a bad thing. I also had literally no problems with the cameos or endings. I was just happy seeing these characters again in some way because Samurai Jack was never about telling a grand story or getting really in depth with characters, it was an episodic show filled with cool fights, beautiful art and jokes, and that's literally what I got out of the reboot. At the end of the day Jack got back to the past. Was it contrived and pretty much an asspull? Yeah, but hey, it's not like the writing in the show was ever top notch.

Wasn't shit but more like general cartoon standard, although still above that. I want fucking more of those kino parts. Seems like there isn't anything like it, however. All garbage.

You might want to rewatch it then.

Rest of it was great except the ending. Had he not gone back to the oast it wouldve been perfect

I always think it was Gendy not being sure what to do.

>Mysterious figure appears that looks cool as shit

>Doesnt have sword

>All his allies have aged and are old

>Has lost all hope and just kinda exists

All good ideas that he had no idea how to do conclude or execute properly

Scottsmen only got a few minutes to show he was alive, said he would gather a army, and then just did jack shit until he appeared again to help Jack

>Got his sword back in one episode, and right before Aku shows up

>Has ALL HIS HOPE restored and will to live returned because one Girl that tried to kill him made him go Why The Fuck My Pee Pee Hard?

I generally believe that he had only like 3 or 4 episode really thought out and planned well, and then just trucked along wit whatever he could think of as he story boarded, and wrote.

you might want too. jack killed before in the original series more than a few times. the bounty hunters spring immediately to mind.

You seriously expect Jack to spend any more time to brood when his life was on the line? That's what would've lead to a dead samurai. He had been at it for 50 years, so he had enough mental fortitude to repress his guilt until he was no longer in danger.

Don't forget he finally broke when he thought all those children died. He wasn't immune to the previous guilt of killing the Daughters of Aku, it merely bubbled underneath for one last straw to break the camel's back.

t. bingeniggers.

1: Changed age rating (aka: Adult Swim). Suddenly it didn't have to appeal to children anymore, and that meant mature themes - like murder, suicide, romance, and nudity. All things that fans of the original show didn't want.

2: Ashi. She added NOTHING to the story, but took away a whole lot because Genndy wanted time to set up a romance subplot. Which, again, didn't add to the story and that fans didn't want to begin with.

3: Lack of imagination in general. It felt a lot more like it was just going through the numbers with what this kind of show is supposed to do, rather than doing it's own thing. Biggest example: to clear his mind of anger, he meditated, where he went to an imaginary dimension where he did a thing you see in kung-fu films that teaches patience. Once he accomplished this task, he realised he did not need to be angry, and so stopped being angry.

Japanese waifuism is different. There, it works, because the attention is on making the woman interesting rather than trying to build up a romance - which they often don't even do. Ashi was plain ol' western romance hamfisted in: focusing on how the characters are luvvy duvvy with each other and not on the character being someone YOU'D want to date.

(cont')
Also, did I mention the piss-poor choreography? Like, even if you just ignored all the stuff like "Ashi defeats an entire army by holding out her hands and ramming at them", just think about: often Jack and Ashi fight together. As in, side-to-side or having each other's backs, and not just fighting two separate battles in close proximity. I can't even think of an example.

Because the first 2 episodes forgot it had to wrap up the series in 10 episodes.

Are you an idiot

That was the entire point of the episode

He came to terms with his father’s wisdom and gave them a chance to change their fate but did what he had to

>Wait, when did Jack have a code against killing? It seems kinda antithetical to the whole "Samurai" thing.

Jack hasn't killed people before, and has so much control over his sword that this included even human bounty hunters. He's fought demons, robots, and aliens - and he's killed all of those. Yes, it's racist. But it was still different.

Genndy wanted to do too much with too few episodes. What he ended up doing needed more space to breathe is all.

>that meant mature themes - like murder, suicide, romance, and nudity

Literally all these things happened as either gags or serious moments in Seasons 1-4. The only one that only got passed up on, really, was suicidal despair (though 'despair severe enough to give up' probably counts).

Gennedy tried too hard to cram the story he had in mind into the limited number of episodes he was allotted, rather than figuring out what story would work best within that limited time. He tried to cram in far too much, which just caused tons of things to not get nearly as much attention as needed. Pacing was a hot mess.