Am I evil?

>Am I evil?
>Worse, you're smart.

What did Rick mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cHB_s970Uyw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

being smart is aburden morrtdy :^)

Smart people can rationalize their actions no matter how wrong they may seem to normies

So can stupid people.

No they can't, they just do whatever they want and claim nobody can judge them because 'nobody's perfect' or 'only God can judge them'

That's even worse to be honest

Why did Sup Forums get so triggered about this? A high IQ sociopath like Rick would say something like this.

>Being smart enough to be sociopathic.
>But somehow not smart enough to think of a few questions to assure yourself/Your clone that they are not a clone.

I was sincerely expecting Rick to say something along the lines of "If you were a clone, we wouldn't be having this conversation" in response to Beth in the finale, or at least doing something more to Jerry other than what basically amounted to an impotent rant.

he meant "my show is edgy garbage"

Because it's framed like you're supposed to agree with him and feel the same way, like, "yes, that's true.. I, too, am miserable because I'm just so goddamn smart." They can get their victim-complex AND "blame" it on an imagined positive trait that they have no control over, rather than be at fault themselves for their own shortcomings and mistakes.

Stupid people still feel guilty about their rationalization while smart people do not.

anything Sup Forums doesn't understand must be ridiculed and turned into a meme.

I actually agree the line was really dumb and lazy on the writers' part, but the fact Sup Forums grabs something minor and holds onto that for months afterwards is kinda pathetic. every show has their share of poor dialogue but you don't see The Walking Dead, The Punisher, Arrow, The Flash, etc. fandoms talking about one shitty line literally months after the episode aired. Sup Forums hates reddit, whom they affiliate with R&M, which is why Sup Forums chooses to bring it up constantly like autists.

>Season 1
>"This has potential to become my favorite show."
>Season 2
>"This is a pretty good show."
>Season 3
>"What the fuck did they do to this show?"
It's a bad joke when Harmon tries to convince people it's not the new affirmative action writers that poisoned the well and ruined the show. Most of the third season played out like R&M fan fiction, written by edgy teens that didn't understand what made characters work, episodes interesting, and jokes funny. It immediately became the exact hyperbole that the show's critics painted it up to be. Can't you just picture the writer's room now?

Smart people are worse than Hitler.

hm excellent dissertation, sir. you're a gentleman and a scholar, please take this upvote

Rick's original shtick wasn't "high IQ sociopath." The show's primary dynamic used to be that Morty was stupid, naive, and well-intended, and Rick was smart and resourceful, but an emotionally stunted coward. That's not really the case anymore. Now Rick is literally god and all attempts the show makes to portray any of his characteristics as negative just comes off as insincere and masturbatory on the writer's part. The therapist scene in the Pickle Rick episode, for instance, was inserted by one of the female writers so she could live out her self-insertion fantasy off telling somebody off.

>Personally, I think the reason was that bringing in new writers caused the show to fall into first-season confusion again, resulting in the mixed reaction to the third season.

>These knobs, that want to protect the content they think they own — and somehow combine that with their need to be proud of something they have, which is often only their race or gender. It’s offensive to me as someone who was born male and white, and still works way harder than them, that there’s some white male [fan out there] trying to further some creepy agenda by ‘protecting’ my work.
>It’s total ignorance of how writing a television show works … I want to scream at my computer: ‘You idiots, we all write the show together!’ If you can tell the difference between one writer and another on a show I’m running I’ve probably gotten so lazy that it hasn’t all been blended and refined in the usual process.

new writers caused the show to fall into first-season confusion again
lol wut?

What I miss is that in Season 1 and 2, most of the problems R&M faced were often caused by Rick doing something extremely short-sighted.

Now Rick seems omnipotent.

This desu. Stupid people ignore the consequences. Smart people dismiss them as less important than REASONS.

He was fucking with her head, telling her what she wanted to hear, Rick doesnt think anyone except him is smart.

No, stupid people just ignore and deflect. In effect, they're just different shades of the same shit.

Just cliche "the power was inside you all along" like ashi you have akus power, then suddenly going 0 to expert

It's a pseudo-intellectual bull that the writers pulled out their ass, nothing more.

>bein powerful to destroy earth
>not able to creatin' sauce
/thread, now we can leave thread and go to another ones

You now remember that the first episode alone had:
>Rick wasting all of the energy in his portal gun so he could fuck bitches in an alternate dimension
>Rick running away screaming from a monster he didn't recognize
>Rick failing to foresee a machine in customs that scanned for things up your butt
>Morty thinking of a plan to save them before Rick does (using the grappling shoes to escape)

Season 3 features scenes where:
>Rick destroys the greatest evil in the universe and plots the elaborate, offputtingly sociopathic murders of a team of superheroes in a single night, while blackout drunk
>Rick has a field on him that instantaneously kills anyone who touches him without permission
>Rick starts a day as an inanimate object and ends it by blowing up a foreign embassy

Yeah, Beth is smart enough to be a horse surgeon and that's about it, and in the R&M universe that means jack shit because even alternate universe Ricks are dumb as a bag of bricks.

The episode where she couldn't figure out how to turn Summer back to normal really went out of its way driving home just how stupid Beth is.

for rick, smart is awareness of truth. evil is what you make of it and in the universal scale, donest matter. if you are smart, you get that and not a lot of people get that. problem is, knowing this is really depressing. thats why he says its worse.

>don't dead open inside

Doesn’t everyone do that especially stupid people

Morality, ethics, the burden of responsibility and everything else mankind holds as sacred universal truths are neither sacred nor universal at all. It's just a bunch of bullshit we made up to make sense of a senseless, unfeeling universe that barely recognizes our existence, much less cares about our well being. Rick was insisting that Beth, like him, is someone who's smart enough to recognize this fact of life for what it is. The problem of course is human beings still need something to hold on to, something they can say with confidence, "this is truth, this is MY truth and I'll never let it go." Beth differs from Rick in this sense, whereas Rick simply dismisses the universe at large with a drunken rage fueled middle finger towards it's apathy, while Beth, like alot of people, forgoes that conclusion via some form of simplicity. Beth chooses Jerry, but it could have been anything (religion, motherhood, her career, etc). She needed the stability and dare i say sacredness that contrasted the immense uncaring nature of existence itself.

Tl:dr people see what they want to see, be it good or ill

Smart people don't care about pesky little things such as "morals"... even if Morals are actually one of the main reasons Civilizations can be built.

The only real episode from S3 that felt good was The Whirly Dirly one, fit the R&M original theme nicely

>Goes on a wacky adventure
>Rick is on his ass at one point
>actually has to overcome an issue
>all the meanwhile the rest of the family is freaking out over one of Rick's contraptions

And MAYBE the detoxicfy episode but that one is just interesting

season 3 still had its moments

>"stand down, he's not afraid of pirates."

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Rick’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick’s existential catchphrase “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

Smart people are just able to damage others more than "just evil" people.

The line bothers me because it feels less like Rick talking to Beth in the context of the show but more like Dan talking to himself in the subtext of his own justification of his misfortune.

Ooooowee

youtu.be/cHB_s970Uyw

>willingly do evil
>smart
Mein sides

I fucking refuse to believe anyone in Rick’s family could possess an IQ over 100.

Because there is a correlation between being unhappy and being smart?

Jerry really does lower the average by a large margin

he was being ironic. She is cruel becouse she is a dumb edgy angsty teen who takes pleasure in hurting others.

>The therapist scene in the Pickle Rick episode, for instance, was inserted by one of the female writers so she could live out her self-insertion fantasy off telling somebody off.
got some sauce for that?

yes science has proven that being smart makes you unhappy and being stupid makes you happy.

Rick doesn't think anyone is smart except for himself. He's not only the smartest man in the universe, but also the smartest man in the entire multiverse. Even the infinite alternate reality versions of him (who are the smartest beings in their entire respective universes) are dumb as shit compared to the main character Rick. He is practically a god. If he calls anyone else smart, he is fucking with them.

in season 1, he got the devil to almost kill himself.

What Rick said makes no sense- intelligence is a tool, a tool on the middle of the moral spectrum. Good and evil people can both use it, and it's not like being intelligent makes the multiverse "worse"

Lets be honest, the best instance of Rick fucking up was Rick Potion No.9.
No Rick solved that issue on purpose.
Main Rick bailed on the first universe.
Cronenberg Rick bailed on Cronenberg world.
Dead Rick lucked into fixing things.

You have to have a high IQ to watch the show

you have a brain, fucking thank you.

It's not like that happened because "Oh Rick is such a super special awesome science god superhero" like all the stuff that happened in season 3. That was just an unintentional result of Rick goofing around out of pettiness and boredom.

>It's not like that happened because "Oh Rick is such a super special awesome science god superhero"
It kind of did. Remember he put him out of business because he used science to remove all of the curses from the items making them literal magic items like the time travelling mittens.

>Lets be honest, the best instance of Rick fucking up was Rick Potion No.9

Rick's most interesting when he was high INT low WIS. Instead of going with the logic that he's super smart therefore he always knows the best course of action, in early episodes he was super smart but he had a weird thought process that had surprising and funny results.

OBVIOUSLY anyone with a high school understanding of genetics should be able to realize that the "preying mantis is the opposite of the vole" thing wouldn't hold up. But despite Rick being a super genius, he looks at that and is like "yeah, that makes sense. Imma do that." Which is great.

Nothing good. Rick is just trying to justify his terrible behavior, even though he knows he's an awful person.

Why are people still bitching about this? The whole point of the season finale was that Rick was in the wrong.

It seems some are too fucking dumb to understand not everything the characters say is supposed to be correct.

It's not framed like that at all, I don't know how after YEARS people are still pretending Rick is a role model

Season 3 was better than season 2 but they're both worse than season 1.

Nope that's exactly why it happened, because Rick being the most powerful being in the multiverse has been a fixture of the plot since fucking day 1.

epic post such likes very upvote

It's more dangerous than malice.

i'm stunned a show revolving around characters shitting themselves would have a stupid cliched af line

Those two and the premier are the only episodes I hold a stronger memory of what happen past the bare bones of it. The season was so much weaker than the last two.

Rick is just reaching out to the core audience.

Because Rick is a self-aggrandizing, self-hating man who uses his intellect and the doors it opens as an excuse to avoid dealing with the very real social and emotional problems he's suffered from for decades.

Beth's suffered the same ennui Rick has, and Rick attempts to give her the same excuse he's used for all these years. The dividing line is that Beth ends up rejecting Rick's fucked-up methods of personal validation, and elects to put work into listening and trusting and connecting with others.

It's weird how many people saw that and thought you were supposed to agree with the man who stuffed his daughter in an alternate reality rather than be a parent, or who outright walked out of her life because he didn't feel like he had it in him to put in the work to be a husband and father.

He's been the smartest but not the most powerful or unbeatable like in season 3.

If Mr Needful was in S3 Rick would just shoot him/ have some deus ex that would kill him and that'd be the end of it.

How many people working on Rick and Morty got any education beyond high school? I'm pretty sure Justin didn't go to college (granted I don't think Justin would be the one to come up with this cringeworthy fucking line).

This part made this one of the worst episodes. What she was doing as a child weren't smart things, they were evil or just selfish. To oversimplify her choices as smart is pretty dumb.

I don't know why autists still complain about this when the season finale shows that Rick just said that to manipulate Beth to quit bitching