I can't remember where I heard this but someone made the claim that Zack 'daughter suicider' Snyder hates Clark Kent as...

I can't remember where I heard this but someone made the claim that Zack 'daughter suicider' Snyder hates Clark Kent as a character thinking he isa weakness for superman, what do you guys think of Clark?

Clark is pure and best boy.

Snyder is fucking autistic, Clark is as important as Superman is.

I totally agree
Superman's secret identity seems kinda pointless
Especially since the Clark Kent/Superman dynamic isn't as interesting as say Peter Parker/Spiderman and Bruce Wayne/Batman

I have this debate between writers before. Some prefer Clark and Superman to be two disguises and the real person between. Some like Clark to be the real person and Superman the disguise. Some like Superman as the real person and Clark as the disguise.

This is nothing new, and even though I don't like Snyder's work on these movies, I don't see this as a valid criticism on his part other than it means that he willingly disrespects the dynamic of the character. Still, that being said, he did ultimately use the dynamic knowing its importance to be one of the many quintessential qualities of the character.

>Superman's secret identity seems kinda pointless

Literally all his supporting cast comes from his Clark persona. How is that pointless?

Clark is what makes Supes a human. he was raised by the Kent's to be a decent man and that grounds him while still having all that power
being Clark frequently keeps him from being Alien God-man

>TFW I can't be friends with superman

That is the point. Clark isn't him pretending to be human, it IS him being human. Its when he can show his weaknesses as opposed to Superman who can only show strength at all times.
Its when he can just be like everyone else, and just worry about himself for a change.

The entire idea that Clark Kent was anything more than just a cover for Superman to be 'closer to the action' as an investigative reporter only really started becoming a thing near the tail-end of the silver age, popularized by Christopher Reeves, and finally 'canonized' by John Byrnes' Man of Steel run. Really, which variation of the dynamic you get is entirely down to the individual writer these days, though the 'Clark is the person, Superman is the character' interpretation is probably the most prevalent and popular, likely due to Christopher Reeves' portrayal of the character.

I'd say Snyder's key issue isn't that he hates Clark Kent, it's that he just fundamentally does not get Superman or Clark Kent period.

I like him more and more as I grow up. Clark is a regular, honest to goodness farmboy that grounds him and the foundation of Superman being Superman.

Let's say you split the two of them and they got their own ongoings.
You'd have Clark Kent: Ace Reporter; a story about an intrepid investigative journalist solving mysteries and helping people with charming midwestern values. Basically Tintin by way of the American Heartland.
And you'd Have Kal El: The Superman, about an all powerful space alien punching space warlords. And that's pretty much it.

And the thing is those are both good books, but there's way, way more of the former than the latter.

Let me explain
Obviously his childhood and background are important with regards to his being Superman
But having two different personas is kinda pointless now given the villains Superman has to face

I've been listening to old radio episodes of Superman
Investigative reporter Clark Kent was very important because being a newspaper reporter was a very big deal because newspapers were a big deal and his villains weren't superpowerful but mainly criminals trying to create a conspiracy
That won't work now with newspapers going out of style and villains like Brainiac or Zod
That part of Clark Kent is unnecessary
Snyder already covered the being a hero versus doing nothing dilemma so there's not really a need to do that going forward

So both sides of Clark Kent have no purpose anymore
With the Marvel movies there's already a group of heroes that don't use secret identities so it's been proven that dynamic can be successful

Let me explain to you again:

ALL HIS SUPPORTING CAST COMES FROM THE CLARK IDENTITY. NOT SUPERMAN'S.

Therefore, not pointless.

They already butchered the supporting cast

To play the fucking idiot's advocate, it's entirely possible for Superman to have a Supporting Cast without Clark

Like who? Doctor Veritas?

Go through Lois

Much simpler. You don't want to hang around humans as superman 24/7. Having a secret identity is useful just so people aren't glued with their tongues to his boots.

Plus villains finding out about his family and friends and holding it against him is bad enough. You wouldn't want everyone to know and try to exploit it.

You only need one scene of superman trying to do something mundane with his superman identity and people fucking it up to explain the whole situation.

I think Clark is important because it gives him a chance to be human and to understand human problems.

Superman:
functionally immortal and impervious to harm
probably does not need to eat, getting energy from the sun
lives at the north pole surrounded by alien technology
doesn't have to worry about his car breaking down or missing a flight
doesn't have money concerns - he can crush coal into diamonds

Not making any sort of political judgements, so I'm gonna use both as an example: After being in the presidency for a while, how in touch with regular Americans are President Obama or President Trump? They don't have to buy groceries, or worry about paying the bills. Sales people don't knock at their door on a Saturday morning.

Shakespeare had a scene in Henry V, where King Henry disguised himself as a regular soldier at night, so he could talk to his men before the battle and understand their worries and fears. It made it possible for him to understand their motivations and what he needed to do to inspire them.

That's why Clark Kent is important. If he's only hanging out with other superheroes, he's going to lose that bit of perspective. Clark Kent is what keeps Superman from becoming Zod.

Clark is Superman. Superman is Clark Kent.

There is no mask, just different situations.

That's retarded. He was Clark Kent before he is Superman. Clark Kent isn't some persona it's who he is. Superman is the ideal and Clark knows that. He works to make sure that people can feel they can rely on him because they see Superman as this ideal super being but Clark Kent is the real individual. Of course he makes himself more dorkish around strangers to make sure there is no chance of recognition and any suspicions are seen as ridiculous but when he's with his family and friends he isn't Superman he's Clark. The more I hear about Snyder the more confused I get at how he ever got to direct these films in the first place when it is clear he had no idea how Superman was supposed to work as a character.

>Clark Kent is who I am
>Superman is what I can do

-Lois & Clark, The New Adventures Of Superman

I love this quote so much.

Superman pays taxes. Superman will go out and buy a new coffee maker when his old one dies (despite him having heat vision to warm his coffee). Superman will wait in line for a bus despite being able to fly faster than the speed of sound. He does all those things because he's a human called Clark Kent.

>Clark Kent: Ace Reporter; a story about an intrepid investigative journalist solving mysteries and helping people with charming midwestern values. Basically Tintin by way of the American Heartland.
that makes me wonder, is there a comic where Clark saves the day but can't become superman for some silly reason?

That last panel, man...

Christopher Reeve.

Right in the fucking feels every damn time.

This is a damn good line and exactly how I feel about the character.

>made the claim that Zack 'daughter suicider' Snyder hates Clark Kent as a characte
you mean you read an autistic fag on Sup Forums ranting and took his shitposting as fact, gg retard

Blame the suits who approved the Snyder Superman; if a single one of them had actually known what Superman is SUPPOSED to be they'd have shot him on the spot after his MoS pitch. But they were too blinded by grimdark Nolan money, and stupidly assumed audiences would be down for the dour, grim deconstruction of "THE IDEAL OF HOPE", or whatever the fuck. They probably thought they had the thinking mans Superman on theor hands and would get rewarded for it with first year philosophy major money from all over the country. Fucking idiots

Unless you're a power level fag all the interesting things about Superman are a part of Clark Kent first.

The thing is even Joe Normie knows "theres always another way...theres always hope" is a sentece that captures the essence of the character. Why they thought turning Superman into a brooding tragic figure prone to violent outbursts in his first goddamn movie is beyond me