Where to start with DC and Marvel comics?

I know there's a Sup Forums wiki, but I'm looking for the required DC and Marvel comics reading, the canon and comics I'd need to have any hope of contributing/following a conversation here.

Other urls found in this thread:

comraderecs.tumblr.com/
imgur.com/a/efZc7
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nobody here reads comics so you don't need to read anything to follow the conversation.

But to answer the question, it depends on which characters you're interested in starting with.

Usually people have something that gets them into comics and then from there they start to organically discover further things they want to read.

>the required DC and Marvel comics reading
>the canon and comics I'd need to have any hope of contributing/following a conversation here.
Not even sure where to start with this one.

My favorites from DC are Green Lantern and Poison Ivy, while from Marvel I like the X-Men and Spider-man, so I guess I'll just start there. I found the win-o' thread and the pastebin with links to comics, so I guess I'll just start by downloading anything relevant I can find.

I can already tell I came here with the wrong mindset. I come from /lit/ and Sup Forums, where there's practically required reading/listening if you want anyone to take you seriously. I see Sup Forums is different.

>the canon
DC and Marvel are both absurd in their continuity. Canon is discarded and ignored when and wherever
I'm sure some fag has a recommended reading image somewhere

Go check out shit like Batman Year One, 90s run of X-Men, Superman for All Seasons

Check out Superman/Shazam: First Thunder, it's top tier Supes and pretty short
Also, don't give Marvel or DC money, pirate or read online

Unfortunately these are very, VERY old but they at least come from a time when people here knew what they were talking about a little bit more

Thanks for the direction and for not making fun of me. Appreciate it a bunch.

comraderecs.tumblr.com/

There's even a link for a beginner's guide and general recs. All the charts are a little old, but they are definitely a good place to start.

>comics
>webcomics
>cartoons
>guides
Holy shit that's inclusive. Thanks a bunch user.

No problem. If you run into any broken links, there's this collection of charts. Between this and the previous link, you shouldn't have any trouble finding charts.

imgur.com/a/efZc7

There's never any such thing as REQUIRED reading. People can be DC fans without ever reading a single Batman self-titled (or Superman, or Wonder Woman, etc.).

Likewise, you could call yourself a Marvel comic aficionado without reading Tony Stark or Thor Odinson or Peter Parker's solo adventures.

A better question is to ask yourself what kinds of things interesting you NOW and what do you think you would be interested in. For example, you might really like something like The Punisher, which means you might really like Suicide Squad or Deathstroke. Or you prefer something like Spider-Man, which means you might like 1990s Conner Kent Superboy.

Learning is half the fun. Download some pirated books, figure out your shit, then go to your local store or go on line and support the industry with your pennies.

I'm a huge GL fan and this image is pretty decent and will take you up through all the important shit until Darkest Night. After that you go into Brightest Day and just read all the GL titles as they were published beyond that. GL was one of the few storylines to not reboot with NEw 52 so it just keeps going until Geoff Johns' run ends. If you really want to jump in on current stories, I'd recommend starting with Green Lanterns, the one starring Simon and Jessica that started for Rebirth. It's a pretty decent intro to GL comics.

If you're really interested in a "canon" of comics and really want to dive deep into GL, there's a really good chronology torrent floating around that basically collects everything Green Lantern printed from Hal's first appearance up to about half-way through Brightest Day. It's a pretty fun, long read. It's what I did when I realized I really loved Green Lantern.

Just google a character you like and search "best comic", you'll come up with plenty of recommendations. It's such a broad question you're not going to get proper answers here.

>DC and Marvel
Hoo-boy. Where do you even start?
Are you just looking for main continuity stuff or are you also interested in elseworld stories?
Are you new to comics in general or just looking into DC and Marvel in particular?

where do I get the deets on dat x-23

Here's Sup Forums's old list. I don't know if I've read any of these, so I can't vouch for it myself.

We should really update these.

Ah, I remember reading Target X. Shame I never found any hot Kimura on Laura action

Canon is always a can of worms since both companies retcon and some properties have gotten hard reboots (cf. Legion of Superheroes)
Current Green Lantern comics for example are technically in-continuity with every other Green Lantern story published since the 1960s, which makes you wonder why the Guardians didn't give the post-Emerald Rebirth GLs rings that prevented death like the pre-Emerald Twilight ones had.

You don't you dumb faker

>why the Guardians didn't [something smart/good]

Nearly 60 years of Green Lantern Corps has proven time and again the only reason Guardians do anything at all is because they are massive cunts.

>We should really update these.
I was bored, so here's an update. Should I make a note to avoid Chaykin, Spurrier, and the Archie series or just leave it as is?

>Alpha Lanterns
>War of Light
>Blackest Night
>Third Army
Bringing the Guardians back to life was a mistake

That was a silly mistake.

DC's also been doing reprints of Gold/Silver/Bronze Age stuff for characters, so I'd recommend picking up a copy of Silver Age GL if you want some good old fashioned fun.