The Legend Of Korra

Do people even want a new Avatar cartoon after what Bryan and Mike did to the series with Korra? So many wasted potential and bad decisions Korra basically destroyed Avatar forever.

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/01/08/netflix-needs-to-revive-the-legend-of-korra-not-voltron/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Get over yourself you fucking baby.

could you elaborate what you think Korra fucked up with the series?

Bad basically everything with the bending powers and the spiritual basis

There are people who actually want another Avatar cartoon? I think that ship sailed when they moved Korra online.

sauce

Just let it die

Dykes

What did they mean by this?

The only thing good about that show was bolin, but I wouldn’t mind another show if they straightened up

Primarily the writing and characters.

Also, the Eastern themes of balance have have been replaced with mostly western oversimplifications of the concept. The only thing "eastern" about Legend of Korra is the general aesthetic of the world itself (and even that fell short in a lot of areas.)

All in all I don't think Bryke should do another series without someone else in the mix to balance out their ideas. They went into Korra trying to differentiate it from TLA, but really all they ended up doing was removing all that made TLA so memorable, resulting in something far more soulless and by-the-numbers than it's source material. I think one of my favorite things about the original series was that nobody, not even some of the most serious characters, was above indignity, and that element is absent from LoK. Instead, that element is entirely regulated to comic relief characters, while everyone else is mostly immune to social faux pas or clumsiness. At least Korra had a few moments in Book 1, but they were few and far inbetween and she's taken almost entirely seriously from Book 2 onwards. The best parts of LoK were products of it's fanbase.

The only things I did like about it were the general feel and aesthetic Book 1 had (which was absent from future seasons) and the finale of Book 3. Beyond those items, I don't feel like Legend of Korra had much to appreciate for anyone above the emotional age of fourteen.

Also, as a liberal SJW femanon, I cannot be the only person that finds Korrasami incredibly lackluster. I might have liked it more of Asami was less of a bore, or if they had spent any time doing anything else with her beyond developing her as the "perfect waifu." That arc where her and Mako were trying to save her company by dealing with the Triads when the cops didn't help was far more interesting than anything she did with Korra, and it helped that she was proactive about it instead of just following whatever Korra was doing.

I would like a new Avatar series, either before avatar Roku or after the comic series. It would really be interesting to see a series about one of the older avatars. I have also always wanted a good story witht the original avatar characters as adults, but all we get are painfuly bad comics.

>I cannot be the only person that finds Korrasami incredibly lackluster.
You're not. It is incredibly lackluster. The way I saw it, however, is the very START of a relationship. The comics fucked this up admittedly.

It did not feel necessary for Korra to end up in any relationship.

I dunno, maybe it's because I watched ATLA after LoK s1 and don't have any nostalgia attached to it, but I really can't understand why so many people think ATLA as a whole is so much better than LoK. ATLA was simply more consistent. It was alright, a solid 7/10 throughout all seasons. Whereis LoK had an excellent season 1 and 3 and a really shit season 2 and mediocre season 4. So I guess the extreme swings in quality makes people more likely to have extreme opinions about the show.

I think that's kind of why I found Korrasami lackluster. There's no real depth to the idea that the two of them belong together because anything between them that might suggest there's some substance to their interpersonal bond happens entirely offscreen or just...not at all, which makes it weird that they decided to end the entire franchise on the idea. The same could be said about just about any ship had Bryke decided to go in another direction, but that just speaks to the idea that they honestly didn't know how to end the series or what to do with the bloated cast they built up to go mostly nowhere.

It doesn't help that the show almost completely forgot that Asami is a businesswoman running a goddamn industrial giant. We never really see her, y'know, RUNNING THE FUCKING COMPANY, because god forbid you give her something substantial to do beyond beta-orbiting the Avatar.

Even worse, looks like Asami's been reduced to the damsel in distress in the 3rd LoK comic, and no, a woman coming to the rescue doesn't make it any less a tired trope.

Avatar The Last Airbender told a story and ended it, there is literally no fucking reason to demand more other than literal autism and Korra is the fruit of it.

Women are weak especially a woman with out any super powers in a show wear a majority of your foes have super powers. She can't even chi-block nor does she have expert cqc skills.

>nor does she have expert cqc skills.
She most certainly displayed those on numerous occasions.

Do they even own the rights, or does Nickelodeon? At this point I'd rather see the IP handed to a better team.

I would have preferred it if for once if a dude was in distress & the heroine gets the guy in the end. Like, no trying to make the guy be an equal.

Is there any Sup Forums media like that?

Faggot, I'll beat your turbovirgin ass red.

seriously, I'm 6'2 and probably fatter than you are.

Dreamworks' Avatar sounds infinitely worse.

Around the time that Dreamworks Voltron news was starting to come out, I think before any initial footage was shown, this guy actually thought it would've been a good idea for Netflix to buy the rights to Avatar and continue it. He was as wrong as wrong can be.

forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/01/08/netflix-needs-to-revive-the-legend-of-korra-not-voltron/

Oh boy. I gotta copypaste this one. But first.
Basically Korra detached itself from ATLA completely because Bryke were too afraid of living in it's shadow. Everything was dropped or changed to have a new, feminist show about some dyke for tumblr.
However probably the biggest offender were Beginnings which completely and utterly destroyed the whole Avatar setting. And this can't be fixed until a NEW sequel is made and Korra is considered non-canon. Everything about this arc destroyed EVERYTHING about the lore.
Now to the copypasta:

1) From a storytelling consistency perspective. This origin story is in direct contradiction with the legends presented in ATLA: the people learning how to bend from animals, the myths, the fact that animals can bend elements, the absence of any records about this era (I mean, we are shown that this ancient civilization could write, so why there were no written records about any of this?), the depiction of the spirits, the various Avatars never mentioning Raava etc..

2) From a philosophical perspective. The mythology of ATLA was heavily based on eastern philosophy (the idea of balance, the avatar as the power of equilibrium etc) while in this prequel there is a strong dychotomy between good and evil, with the underlying idea that evil (Vaatu) must be contained, repressed and confined by the power of goodness (Raava). This tipe of approach is based on the western christian philosophy (God vs Satan, rightousness vs sin) and is in direct contradiction with the eastern concepts of balance . Don't get me wrong, I am not against the use of the christian approach in storytelling, the problem here is the cohexistence of two philosophies that are in open contradiction with each other. The mythology of the Avatar itself is now a complete mess, because they tried to fuse two approaches that are incompatible.
We started from a buddist monk, and know we have a Jesus with a vagina and a bad ripoff of the original sin myth.

cont.

3) From a conceptual perspective. I always had the idea that the Avatar was a regular person gifted with enormous powers, and his journey to master all the elements was a path of spiritual enlightenment, a learning experience in order for him to become a wiser person, to grow and become an enlightened being. The reason why he should master all the elements is not just because he has to be the strongest warrior in order to mantein balance in the world, but also because , by learning the different tipes of bending and the philosophies associated with them, and understanding their respective strenght and weaknesses, he can grow intellectually and spiritually. The Avatar thereby is just a person whose responsability is to grow philosophically in order to surpass the different approaches every culture has to the problems they face, bringing a new perspective in solving matters concerning the relationships between different states / cultures etc..
From this perspective the avatar is a fallible being, whose path of self improvement is never over, and every decision he proceeds to make has a lot of leverage because no one knows if it's the right choice.
But now, if the Avatar is the embodiment of the spirit of goodness, he is not fallible anymore. He can communicate with God (the christian one basically) and recieve what is BY DEFINITION the right way of handling problems. He is no more an individual in a circle of perpetual learning, but a Pope, an emissary of the higher beings. His character is not interesting anymore because he can't grow, as he doesn't need to!

4) From a pure logical point of view. I never really understood all this secrecy about the origin of the Avatar and this strange primordial world. I mean, if the Avatar can basically talk with every incarnation of himself, then there should be no reason why no one knows about this premordial era and how the Avatar was created. This is treated like a big discovery (with spirit water etc.) but basically is like asking your friend how was his day: you can do it anytime and there is no obstacle between you and this information. Heck, Aang could have just decided to take a week off his avatar duty and write down the history of his world from start to finish if he only wanted to.
This is not a revelation of a big secret kept hidden for centuries, is just a normal conversation between two people

5) General inconsistencies. I already wrote a comment about it but I love to repeat myself: Uan became the first avatar 10'000 years before Korra, but in the first season of ATLA Avatar Roku says "I have mastered the elements a thousand times and now I must do it again. You will teach the Avatar firebending."Implying that he was reincarnated 1000 times. That means that in 10'000 years there have been 1002 avatars, with a medium life duration of less than 10 years. Given the fact that Kyoshi's avatar alone lived 200+ years, Aang ~80 (+100 in hiding) surviving one of the most brutal war ever fought, Roku 100+, I don't buy it.
The second problem is that there is not so much technological difference between the Uan world and the Aang's one. This pokes another hole in tLoK worldbuilding: how are we supposed to believe that this world remained static (technologically wise) for 10'000 years, but out of the blue in less then a century we had a development so accelerated that were invented airplanes, movies, telephones etc.?

You're kind of a faggot, E;R.

It wasn't even E;R who wrote this, you retarded cunt.
And he still is right about the show.

Just make prequels because anything after Korra is fucked.

>After Beginnings the next Avatar has only Korra for help if he looks at his past lives.
Imagine being this fucked.

Beginnings, by itself, was a fantastic story & perhaps the best part of the Avatar Korra series. But you are right, it did fuck up with all previous canon. I hated having two spirits representing the struggle of good versus evil.

I do want to briefly mention that I would have preferred it if Bear Dogs are the original waterbenders instead of the moon. Every other element gets an animal, so why didn't water?

>Everything was dropped or changed to have a new, feminist show about some dyke for tumblr.
This statement would have some level of weight if the whole LGBT thing wasn't a last-minute effort to end the show on something notable.

>if the Avatar can basically talk with every incarnation of himself

I barely glanced over your giant list of bullshit and already caught you fucking up big time. The Avatar can't talk to every incarnation of himself. Aang struggled a lot just to talk to the previous Air Nomad incarnation and couldn't speak to anyone from earlier than that. There were at least hundreds of incarnations, maybe thousands, and Aang maxed out at talking to 4 of them. And he was supposedly extra-talented with that sort of thing.

This person is stupid and should be ignored.

Really don't want any more avatar shit since the lore was kind of invariably fucked over.

Except he does. At least not fully conscious. Avatar state is basically having all previous lives help you with their knowledge and power.
In Korra it was reduced to some magic carpet helping you win.

I thought Aang was the one hundredth avatar not the one thousandth.

If a third series is ever made, they should just make it so that everybody sees Korra as a kooky avatar with no respect. The new avatar should actively avoid trying to communicate with her & she's a total bitch on the occasion they do meet.

If anything from Avatar is ever to be touched it needs to ditch Korra as non-canon or at least some separate timeline.
It fucked over the setting way too much.
Not to mention the shitty LGBT propaganda.

The ratings got so low for Korra the network didn't even want to show the last episodes on television. I doubt Nick is even thinking about Avatar right now.

Did they REALLY need to go for a Sozin hates gays angle? The guy was enough of a jerk without that anyway.

> Aang struggled a lot just to talk to the previous air nomad incarnation

No he didn't. In that scene he shows no visible sign of struggling/lack of energy before or after talking to any of them. He only quits going back through the avatars after that because they're all telling him the same thing.

>Also, the Eastern themes of balance have have been replaced with mostly western oversimplifications of the concept.
The original series itself was a huge bastardisation of eastern mythology not only through western lens -- but even worse --
through a heavily Americanised point of view.

Still better than Korra by a mile.

the comics are proof that the quality of ATLA was a complete accident

Nah it was probably because Aaron Ehasz left as a writer. Though there are some that say that if he stayed, we would face another cancer. Apparently guy was a Zutara fan and wanted to have 4th Book where Aang would find other air nomads etc.

I think we all know who the real villain here is.
Someone had to MAKE a lousy cartoon first!

But i want Korra to be forgotten.

>wanted to have 4th Book where Aang would find other air nomads

Honestly that's a good idea. It's pretty much a plothole that the Fire Nation were able to kill every Air Nomad in the first place. They're a society of superhumans that specialize in evasion and mobility. They should still be around, just in hiding.

Eh, an air nomads thing could have been cool if done right. It would have had to be pretty unique. When you think about it, it should have been nearly impossible to exterminate a people who can fly through the air and travel anywhere in the world at any time on their flying mega beasts. I mean why didn't any of them hide in Ba Sing Se? That place was pretty fuckin safe for a hundred years.

Maybe a group of children ran away during one of the massacres and formed their own tribe deep in the jungle or trapped on some far off island. Something like the kids from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. They would be nearly feral and have little to no knowledge of their past or heritage. It would be Aang struggling to educate and civilize them, maybe trying to get them to move back to one of the empty temples.

I mean it certainly wouldn't have carried a fourth season on it's own but it could have been a neat few episodes at least.

Well the last episodes of Season 3 were crap. Especially the Sozin's Comet Arc. That was where the plot hole was created (because it was given without any explanation how) that Sozin just simply attacked the Air Nomads who were supposed to be unreachable if you don't have a bison.
Not to mention the last battle with shitty Deus Ex Machina Spirit Bending.
Literally everyone told Aang to kill Ozai. Even his previous Avatars told him that it's not avoidable and another Air Nomad Avatar told him that even though Air Nomads never kill, as an Avatar, he shouldn't be tied by those rules.
Not to mention Bryke themselves said that most DO NOT survive when Aang enters Avatar State and is out of control.
The only thing that saved S3 ending was Azula's arc.

>Do people even want a new Avatar cartoon after what Bryan and Mike did to the series with Korra?

I would be fine with something that was set in the same universe as long as someone else besides Bryan and Mike wrote it. Like this user said it might be interesting to see some of the earlier Avatars.

> They're a society of superhumans that specialize in evasion and mobility.

Eh, I mean, if they were basically hunted at every turn I wouldn't be that surprised. as it was, I figured that air nomads were already a pretty small minority compared to the other kingdoms, so it's not really out of the question that the fire nation could ambush their settlements, which were only the size of like, small towns at best, not let any escape, and then ambush the next since they didn't get any warning.

Firebenders spent that 100 years probably scouring the lands for any airbenders, and, y'know, considering that the airbenders were all a nomadic people who valued freedom above all else, I can't imagine them being able to hide out for the rest of their lives, never letting anyone know that they're an airbender.

That's a good point.
Take in mind that Fire Nation probably took 100% effort into eradicating Air Nomads because they knew that the Avatar will be born there according to the cycle.

For me it has to do with how critical the low points of lok are to the overall story. So when the lowest points of quality are all among the finales it makes it really hard to appreciate the show overall.

Going backwards is tricky. We already know how things turn out for the most part. You can't really threaten the fate of a kingdom or people because we know who is and isn't alive by the time of Korra. It limits you in an odd way.

Going forward is also a bit tricky. The Avatar world has reached the point technologically where they have giant fucking mechs that can punch cities to rubble. The power and importance of the Avatar kinda falls by the wayside when shit like that exists.

I'd like to see something set in the near future of the series, though certainly after Korra's lifetime. It would be neat to tell the story of a group of people that doesn't focus on the Avatar. Maybe the Avatar would just be a side character or maybe not a character at all. Maybe after Korra the monks are having trouble finding the new Avatar. They've spent years searching without any luck. I'd love to see the story of a group of mercenaries taking morally gray work or adventurers trying to explore the spirit realm.

The universe is far from spent... but Korra really did fuck up a whole hell of a lot.

According to LoK there are around 100 avatars total going by average age of 100 years per avatar. Normally i wouldn't take the 10k years literally, but the show does with Harmonic convergance so why not.

And Aang didn't seem to struggle at all contacting Yang Chen, going further back just didn't seem productive since they all told him to just do it.

Korra's muscles make me have strange feelings

If you go back far enough to a point where the nations aren't the same we won't know the fate of the people in the story.

For instance an old earthbender king trying to unite the earth kingdoms. He won't be uniting The Earthkingdom from Atla, but he might succeed in making his own, or he might fail in the end. I think it's kinda as simple as just seperating the time period from existing organisations in Atla.

After things like The Loud House it will be a improvement.

>Apparently guy was a Zutara fan and wanted to have 4th Book where Aang would find other air nomads etc.
Zutara itself as a concept isn't entirely bad. WIth the right execution, it might have at least been an interesting dynamic.

It's fanbase is absolutely cancerous, though.

The problem is that we had almost 3 books building up Aang and Katara relationship.
Even though Zuko is a good character, having him suddenly step in like Jet and steal Katara would be cheap writing.

How did they fuck up Avatar even more with the comics?

Teasing the Opal character arc, and completely dropping it.

They wrote themselves into a corner and now have to pander to the tumblr fanbase or have the franchise die.

Incorrect. They hit the nail square on the head on every single point...

Easy fix...

> Announce that The Legend of Korra, and everything that spawned from it, is non canon within the Avatar universe

> Make a new sequel to The Last Airbender, except this time make sure that it's not shit

The way they solved the airbender genocide with magic is still retarded as fuck.

Can we include the ATLA comics too?

Nah they were shit too.

I think that was what he meant...

Read it as:

> Can we include them in the list of things we are excluding from canon

Well it was either that or produce inbred abominations

They can have airbender kids with non-benders. It would take awhile but tenzins family could restart the airnomad culture.

Come to think of it, Kya and Bumi might have recessive genes for airbending, assuming bending is a genetic trait.

LOK tried to be too progressive in its setting. The time period they picked was too advanced from where the series left off. The end of avatar was using 16th century steam technology as its most advanced innovation. Then 60 years later its suddenly the 1930s. However everyone seems to have the mind set of a millennial rather than people who would have been raised by racist ass parents who had resentment over a 100 year war. 1930s the damn Irish and Italians were being treated worse than mexicans. They could have had some kind of plot where Mako had a hard time finding work due to being a fire bender and Bolin sticking up for him, to add some depth to their characters. Then the gangs were glanced over. Really two seasons could have been made about the different gangs alone setting them up as threats before Amon comes in with his anti bender sentiments. Amon's cause was also over looked. Non-benders were treated as 2nd rate citizens and it was never addressed again. Any factory job we had seen were done by benders. Construction and Manufacturing were done by earth and metal benders, electricity and smelting were done by fire benders, and the water plant and fire fighters were water benders. The only non bender jobs I remember seeing were vendors who were racketed by the bending gangs.

>assuming bending is a genetic trait
It's odd to rationalize it since they made it both a skill and genetic trait then retconned it to lion turtle magic.
At first it was set as the first benders learned it from the Moon,Dragons,Badger Moles, and Sky Bison. Zuko even regained the primal source of bending by learning directly from dragons, and Toph learned to bend and "see" by studying badger moles. It may stand that anyone could learn bending if they dedicated enough training to it. Still later it was genetic based.

The only thing I can think of is that they may have some sort of Chi/chakra disposition though genetics. Some paths are more open than others allowing easier access to these abilities.

I prefer their original idea to find a sect of airbenders living in bum fuck nowhere. Still eh but better than MUH PORTAL MAGIC.

Water benders had the Koi fish (which in turn, were the moon), stupid.

You are a fucking idiot. Waterbenders said they learned bending from watching the moon pull the tides dumbass.
Lion turtles gave humans bending. The animals/moon taught them how to bend properly. It's the difference between martial arts and just some average Joe trying to fight. Also the lion turtles are one of the reasons why the other nations don't produce benders 100% of the time.

They're compleatly right though. Everything they've said is right and you didn't even make an attempt to consider their argument or evaluate it. Try again after re-reading those 3 posts you linked.

>the people learning how to bend from animals
Did the people that repeatedly sprout this nonsense even watch Beginnings?

That would make the title of the first series completely pointless.

You're not even the first person on tumblr to think this.

Yes they did.
And Beginnings told us that bending is something given to you by a fucking magic turtle like a candy

I want to watch a followup to Korra that has Ikki and Jinora looking for the most fit men to repopulate the air nation with.

The turtles gave people the power to use the elements while the animals and the moon taught them how to properly use the elements as extensions of themselves.

Unless you are saying that any non-bender that looks at the moon can learn how to waterbend or that any post-Sozin firebender shouldn't have been able to firebend since they bastardized the dragons' teachings.

I'd watch a series about Kyoshi

>same-sex mentioned in an avatar comic

Im glad I quit this series

wow a lot of crying retards

They had that episode in AtLA where in a pair of twins only one was a bender

Welcome to Sup Forums Avatar threads after all of the people who liked the shows/universe have moved on or left Sup Forums altogether.

Just a bunch of people whining that their headcanon was incorrect or about some miscellaneous thing that they don't remember right and thing is a contradiction.

Very few real complains, and almost no talk about positives.

There are some threads about positives, but usually LoK took the good parts and failed to utilize them, so it just turns sour on that aswell.

>There are some threads about positives
Rarely, and they never stay that way

> but usually LoK took the good parts and failed to utilize them
No it utilized them pretty well most of the time.

Depends on what you mean by good things i suppose. The music and animation quality was good, and most agree on that but it doesn't invite discussion.

If we're talking themes and concepts LoK had a lot of good ones but failed to use them for anything which is why people here call it the Wasted potential show.

>If we're talking themes and concepts LoK had a lot of good ones but failed to use them for anything
It did though. Not all of them were utilized to their full extent but it did a lot of them well.

>which is why people here call it the Wasted potential show.
No, people call it that because they're mad their headcanon didn't come true.

I hate having to go to leddit just to actually discuss the show in a normal fashion. Every time it comes up here it's always the same dumb shit, the same incorrect "le Beginnings contradictions", the same "ree lesbians amirite", etc.

>Killed Aang and the Avatars past lives
>Killed the lore with the first Avatar
>The whole world is filled with spirits and vines
>Airbenders came back with bad writing

I could keep going but you get the idea

Bolin was fine until the third season where he became annoying instead of funny

Asami was basically the show's version of Appa, except with tits and less personality.

Samefagging is frowned upon, user