Blood-bending

So what was even the point in this mini-arc? It has zero pay off and added nothing to the story in general.

Yeah it didn't add anything to the last air bender suddenly its brought back in Korra

I think it was meant to be a Halloween special, so they thought of something creepy to add.

It was a poor choice though since it showed a lot of things waterbenders could do that invalidated some of their previously established limits, such as having to carry water instead of pulling it out of the air or plants.

Katara said she wanted to learn the Southern style of waterbending, but we never see Hama teaching that to her. All of the techniques were in response to Hama's captivity, and are only useful in the Fire Nation. Pulling water from flowers wouldn't work at the frigid South Pole, and pulling water from the air to make blades would require a humid atmosphere.

At the end, Katara realizes that Hama no longer has a connection to the Southern ways. Hama is only about hurting the Fire Nation. The only piece of old Hama is the memento that she has is locked up in her attic.

She uses it when she and Zuko go hunting for her mom's killer doesn't she?

It was to show how far off the deep end she was going.

>Character development is nothing

give waterbenders something "cool" to use after firebenders and earthbender(s) got their own unique things.

>Worldbuilding is pointless
>Character development is pointless
Shut up forever, you failed abortion.

worldbuilding

>It was a poor choice though since it showed a lot of things waterbenders could do that invalidated some of their previously established limits, such as having to carry water instead of pulling it out of the air or plants.

I might be remembering it wrong, but I think the show established doing that was an advanced technique for waterbenders or something, like lightning, so through that lense I liked it.

It didn't seem like it. Hama just kinda ripped out the water of the flowers and air. Bloodbending was advanced stuff. Vine bending like the swamp bender might be aswell, but getting water from the air didn't seem like it to me.

It's point is to make shits like you shit post on an anonymous Chinese image board

She does bloodbend that one guy later.

Yes, she does.
I liked that episode.

>I liked that episode.
It's a fine episode, i just question the need for character and others having to carry water around if they can just pull it out of thin air like Hama.

It was a character development arc,also the decision not to use it because it was too cruel goes along with the rest of the measege of the seires and that arc,dont be as bad as the things you are fithing against,if you are supouse to be the good guy them be better than the bad guy,same reason why aang didnt want to kill the fire lord

Well she was a particulary strong and skilled waterbender

I never got that vibe from Hama. It felt like she realised that people are water too and used the moon to bloodbend. Don't think she was special in any other way, just more ruthless and uncaring.

You may be right there,she was strong,but was strong because she was cruel,it has a dark side of the force thing going i guess,with goes along with the no exchanging humanity for power thing i was telling before,thats literally what the fire lord did

That even if your learn Bloodbeding. The Avatar will kick your ass anyway.

Hey what's the deal with kataang? Is it weird that two people who started shacking before one of them hit puberty stayed together for 100 years? whats up with kataang

Pretty dumb reply, user. Hama taught Katara how to survive outside of home. Of course Hama taught her something not of the Sothern Water Tribe.

Also, while the character development and world building ar emajor parts, it was to further the theme that came up routinly in the show, especially the third season. How there was no good bending, no good nation in the war. All sides had good and bad people.

Jet was shown as the bad for the earth kingdom, along with a few other character like the Dai Lee and that one general.

Multiple fire benders and civilians from the fire nation were shown as good despite the Fire nation being the main antagonist.

And the water tribe had Hama to help with this theme. She was there to further establish how the war had monsters on both side.

The Episode is actually one of the best episodes in the series due to its handling of Character development, World building, themeing and creating a character that is tragic, terrifying, and understandable.