The Last Unicorn

How the FUCK do people like this movie? I remembered kind of enjoying it as a little kid so I put it on today, it's amazingly, shockingly bad. The story makes no sense, the characters are wooden, the dialogue is beyond atrocious, and the animation is astonishingly lazy (despite some nice-looking backgrounds) I don't know how the fuck they got Christopher Lee for this shit, did he even read the script?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dmb66fhbbxw
youtube.com/watch?v=-JI2Zxyk5TA
youtu.be/ZPgBEqe_uoQ
youtu.be/SnzyQPqIKhc
youtu.be/mzzIz66uXas
media.libsyn.com/media/gooberzilla/unicorn061109.mp3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Unico is better

I liked the song in it. Also did anyone else notice that the Red Bull had Gamera's roar?

I guess it is pretty similar, I can't say I've noticed it before. Maybe due to audio quality differences.
youtube.com/watch?v=Dmb66fhbbxw

You're too young
Trust me, you'll understand when you're older

>97016277
Have a [you].

I wasn't terribly impressed by it, either.

And in regards to Lee, if you pay him, he'll show up for your project.

I dunno. My mother's in her 60's, she got so bored by it she fell asleep after the first 15 minutes.

I've only seen it once a while back, but I remember thinking the weird story made it feel more like a fairy tale.
The unicorns trapped in the ocean was really cool.

Fair enough, but how exactly did the Red Bull get defeated at the end? I mean, the unicorn is there, trapped against the ocean, and then she just reverses the whole situation because... what? Her horn glowed blue? Don't remember that helping the first time she faced the bull

>that date rape scene where the vampire gets the cat drunk

10/10

Christopher Lee liked the book so much he was actually pretty excited that he got to play Haggard in both the english version and the german dub. I think they could’ve gotten someone else to do that german, but he happened to speak it and he wanted to do that dub too.

Not my fault your mother is a soulless husk

I wonder if the book's better. Christopher Lee actually does a pretty good job in this, but every other actor (ESPECIALLY whoever plays Shmendrick) is complete garbage. They read their lines so stiffly, and the already wooden dialogue doesn't help that.

I think it had something to do with the time she spent as a human. Like it might’ve been that immortal unicorns are incapable of love or regret or something, but Amalthea gained the ability to feel it after she had been human a while and turned back into a unicorn, and that gave her the power to defeat the bull.

Oh, I see. Wish the movie explained more clearly why that gave her the power to defeat the bull. Like, maybe the Bull exudes magic that generates fear, and the time she spent as a human gave her the ability to overcome that fear where the other unicorns were overwhelmed by it?

The story is one of those self aware post modern fairy tale types, so it’s way more concerned with using and subverting tropes to fit its themes and send a message than it is with being actually entertaining or engaging. If you like reading into symbolism and repeating themes, then you’ll like it and think it’s deep, but if you were looking for something to have fun with that’d make you sympathize with the characters, you might miss or just not care about the subtext and be left disappointed. I think it really depends on what you were expecting and how into the genre you already are. Like if you read a lot of fairytales you’ll notice a lot of them are actually really lacking in story and this was just following that sort of basic layout that was set up.

It’s subtle, but I think the movie actually kind of does allude to it. It’s one of those things that can easily be missed the first time especially if you weren’t paying attention, but is more apparent in rewatches. I find I often notice things I never picked up on before when I rewatch the movie. It doesn’t try to br immediately apparent about stuff.

Also it helps if you came in already knowing that the whole ‘a supernatural being maiden falls in love with/marries a human man and gains a soul which comes with the awesome yet tragically terrible power of the human spirit’ is an old as fuck trope that shows up in a shitload of fairytales and folklore. This may have been written with fans of that in mind.

Um. Maybe it’s like. Unicorns have this really powerful magic that they can pretty easily wield, but they just can’t get themselves to care a whole lot to really push limits and unlock potential. They’re immortal, they live forever. That’s a really long time to be alive. It’s hard to feel very emotional about stuff when you’ve been around all that long and know you’ll continue to be around for infinity. What is there for them to really give a shit about? So the red bull can bully them with his similarly strong power. They’re not used to things almost as powerful as them. They don’t have a lot of fight in them.

But mortal people, they care about shit a lot. We’ve only got so much time to be alive, we have to give a shit and be passionate about shit while we’re doing it. It’s a matter of survival. And we don’t have magic so we really have to work at shit.

So in the end of the movie Amalthea has learned to care like a human, but has the power of a unicorn. And it makes her double strong.

And also iunno, some metaphor about masculinity and feminity is probably floating around in there.

It’s a good movie for projecting personal interpretation on.

Sounds like you came into it with the wrong expectations

The book is really good. Then again, I liked the movie too.

The Bull does not fight, it conquers.

Don't break your little head over it. After all one is born a pleb.

Its theme song is lovely.
youtube.com/watch?v=-JI2Zxyk5TA

>hating the last unicorn

true repugnance.

I showed it to my niece of 10 a few years ago and she insisted that she liked it a lot. She's gonna make it, lads. It's all going to be alright.

>got the Last Unicorn as a vhs when I was a kid way back when
>loved it so much and watched it all the time
>wore the fucking tape out and parents had to buy me another one

Good times.

I enjoyed the comic. Never actually saw the movie.

The book is better. The movie has some really bad missteps in the first act. The butterfly for example has turned a lot of people off. But overall it's a good movie.

It's one of those 70s-80s animated features that gained a cult following for not being blatant child pandering. Despite not being a total drool fest like most shit from that era aimed at kids, that didn't make it good. Just like Wizards isn't good and neither is the animated Hobbit.

Do you hate America? That could be a turn off in the opening. The book is widely recognized to be better, and Peter Beagle is finally getting recognition for not having been paid his dividend from the film.

I only watched this last year and I too felt completely indifferent while watching it.
I was expecting a sad, but otherwise beautiful movie - however things just happened on screen and it held no strong emotions me either way.

Was there some kind of hype train/cult phase that I missed out on with this?

Haven't seen the movie, but I liked the book.

It looks good and has no real happy ending.

It's actually from an Ultraman monster I forget the name of

So, did the whole "let's make extra scenes and release an expanded version in theaters" project failed? Cause several news sites a couple of years ago claimed that was happening.

As I get older and more emotional, I can't not bawl like a fucking child when the other unicorns are released back into the world. It's so fucking beautiful.

Most people who like the movie loved the book or saw it as a small child where you don't notice the wooden bits I'd recommend checking out the graphic novel if you're not a heavy reader if you don't like that then well it's not for you.

I didn't read the book yet gonna do it soon for sure and I watched it for the first time when I was 21, still I really like it.

>the animation is astonishingly lazy
epic. truly, factually, epic.

>How the fuck do people like this movie
Hmmm i wonder how? Maybe you should be asking what KIND of people love

it's a great movie

7/10, flawed.

Maybe it just felt new and fresh when it first came out. Like when Dragon's Lair first came out.

The Bull was just a paper tiger, it couldn't really hurt you or The Bull was the manifestation of Hagards will, when he died, the bull lost power or Unicorns are stronger than the bull, but they were always too timid to fight back

I found it horrifying as a child. My sisters were enamored, though. I guess they forgot all about the harpy and the creepy old king.

My friend made me watch it, not because he thought it was good but because he confused peter s beagle with peter boyle for some reason. It was garbage except for this motherfucker.

Unironically love the soudtrack except for Amalthea's song.

I'm almost 40 and I still love it.

The scene about the rage and sadness of a youth gone by and a miracle turning bitter due to circumstances is even stronger now.

I don't wanna spoiler for the people that haven't seen it ,yet. (Do it now.)

By the way, it's not about the young generation not liking the same stuff their elders liked.

There's always been people who really liked the last unicorn and people that were indifferent to it.

>The story makes no sense, the characters are wooden, the dialogue is beyond atrocious

You are full-fucking retarded, you need to die.

>I disagree with this guy
>Should I explain why he's wrong?
>nah, I'll just call him retarded. That'll teach him!

So was this thread supposed to gather all the people with shitty pleb taste in one place where we can shoot them or something?

It's rather self demonstrating that OP is a retard.

Just look at the opening scene with the hunters. It's incredibly good and just the opening and it works as its own little story.

OP is a retard and probably likes anime.

It's like they just did a booth reading, independent of the other actors, so none of the reactions are..."right". Never noticed that as a kid, but still love this movie. If you don't like this movie...you were too old when you saw it, and what little childhood magic and wonder you had in you had already died.

Indeed. I think these people need to be on a watchlist or something.

>wooden dialogue

All of the dialogue is from the book. The book is very good. I doubt it has wooden dialogue.

Christopher Lee loved the book and even wanted to play Haggard if they ever made a live action movie for it.

I never watched it as a kid.
Decided to watch it as a adult.

The film is.... Strange....its like aliens talking for the most part.....
You can barely get what they are on... Everyone has a style of talking that is....strange and kind of mystical.

To be hones it would be a great film if the dialog was not structured this way.
The movies biggest problem is structuring its scenes and dialog.
The delivery is strange.

For example lets take the gypsy or whoever this old cunt was.
A entire movie could be made about her.
Basically its great she is aging and is looking for a way to become "immortal".

The way she finds is interesting she decides to be remembered.
However every human and mortal will die and her memory will fade with them.
So she decides to make a immortal creature remember her.
How do you do this?
Its extremely easy to make people hate you.
So she decides to capture immortal creatures and abuse them, they will forever remember this gypsy for all of eternity, She will be remembered forever.

They will remember hos she captured them and tortured them.

This is why she signals to the harpy (immortal creature) to get her and kill her.
This might look like insane craziness however it has solid logic behind it.
This creature will remember her forever.
If only this was better developed or presented.
Anyone has a
>sane peoples guide to The Last Unicorn
where people explain all the motivations of the characters?

I’m pretty sure a couple of my friends went to the one closest to me and had a good time.

>It's like they just did a booth reading, independent of the other actors, so none of the reactions are..."right".

Isn’t this often the case in animation?

>If only this was better developed or presented

It was developed and presented fine you strange, strange little man. The very fact that you're talking about her and her motivations is proof of that.

>Sane people's guide to The Last Unicorn

You mean how they make books explaining great works of literature for brainlets?

Have we really fallen so far as a culture we need guides to understand The Last Unicorn?

>Strange and kind of mystical

Oh good god. So good dialog is strange and kind of mystical now?

Please tell me what shows and books interest you so I can pinpoint what sort of brain numbing poison has overtaken you.

>It was developed and presented fine you strange
I don't know she was the only one I got 100%.
And I know its a "don't pay attention for one second and you miss it"

I was expecting something like this
youtu.be/ZPgBEqe_uoQ
youtu.be/SnzyQPqIKhc

I like my characters explained, and their motivations presented.
A flashback to her life and her planing might be a great scene before her death, add some music that fits the scene etc.

>You mean how they make books
Explain this symbolism because I get the feeling that I'm missing a lot of something under the surface of this movie.

Or is this movie like LOST presenting loads of symbolism and things you think are deep and its all a scam.

>So good dialog is strange and kind of mystical now?
I only received it to feel like this to me.

The book is great. I like the movie but you can tell some stuff just hasn't translated well on to screen.

It is very fairytale-ish however, if you don't like those elements of the film you might not like the book.

>I wanted something didactic that explained everything to me like I'm an idiot just like my animes

Please don't ever breed.

>Or is it like LOST where it's all a scam

The symbolism is obvious and charged with emotion. The Last Unicorn is one of the hallmarks of modern fantasy and to compare it to LOST is frankly sickening.

>LOST
is garbage and ended up with nothing.

The film itself is all right.
But the only thing that bothered me was the soundtrack as in America's songs which were basically show and tell. You hear a lyric, and you see the mentioned appear before your very eyes. Not once, but multiple times...
It kinda made me mad with what they got away with.

Just to be understood, the songs themselves do sound nice when you listen to it without the visuals. But with visuals, you kinda get the feeling that the band didn't really give a fuck. Watched some of the footage, and literally made the lyrics by what they saw.

Which is my point.

LOST was J J Abrams prolefeed. The Last Unicorn is one of the great works of fantasy literature.

>The visuals in the opening compliment the lyrics
>This violates show don't tell

Do you have autism?

>that formatting style

Get out

>OP is a retard and probably likes anime.
OP is indeed a retard, but are you also aware The Last Unicorn was animated by the anime studio Topcraft?

Funny, I watched The Last Unicorn a few months back for the first time, in my attemt to find out where pic related's quote comes from. I have looked for the quote "Was it not your sin that trapped the Unicorn?"

I thought I was on the right track right till the end, because Shmendrick's deed to transform the unicorn really fit into this.

Aside from the initial disappointment that I didn't find the right movie, I have generally enjoyed it. But that's because I like porjecting and interpreting. Without the fun of looking for the symbolisms I would have found it pretty bland.

why waste bullets?

>Do you have autism?
Not every bloody thing we see on the screen has to be mentioned in the lyrics. There is this thing called imagination, user? Why don't you use it sometime?

It wouldn't be a problem if it stayed like that in the opening, but the same shit with the later ones? Fuck NO.

Hit a nerve?

It's okay to have autism user. You're on Sup Forums after all.

Sounds like I need to see this movie.

No, I'm just surprised that anons like to be fed with a spoon. That is all.

I agree the movie is actually pretty lackluster from a narrative standpoont, especially as an adult. It's just got a very nice aesthetic, beautiful visuals, decent animation, and an amazing soundtrack.

So, does that "expanded" version exist? Or did they gave up and simply released the original cut again?

most fuckable animated man?

Dunno. I don't think they were ever gonna add all that many scenes or anything, it was probably stuff that didn't change the presentation of the movie much at all.

It's a weird-ass movie. Through this thread I'm starting to see why people like it, but it's really not for me. The dialogue and stiff acting especially kills it in my opinion. Plus a lot of the motion is just odd. There's a scene where Prince Lir is hit by the Bull, and the animation is so wooden there's barely any motion to it, no feeling of force. It's like he floated to the ground.

NSP's cover of the theme is pretty good imo

>in regards to Lee, if you pay him, he'll show up for your project
Are you sure of that

I want to thank you for letting me know this existed, Its a really good cover.

Still, I want to know the details.

There's a low budget British horror movie from the 90s called Funnyman, about this Freddy Krueger style wisecracking Jester who goes around killing people. The guys making it needed a big genre star to sell it. Someone of Lee's caliber, but they never thought they could get him. They were told by friends in the business "Send Christopher Lee £500 cash, he'll show up for five minutes and do your movie." And he did. He voiced strong personal objections to the scene where said Funnyman buggered Pauline Black to death, but he still did it and he did a damn fine job.

The director had a theory that people confused/conflated him with Peter Cushing who had recently died, and they thought he was dead too. Hence why he needed the money. The truth is that Lee like any British thespian of a certain stature or age would do literally fucking anything for a decent paycheck. Check out his autobiography some time, it's good reading.

It's sad. That's happy for deep people.

Christopher Lee legit loved the Last Unicorn.

>how the fuck they got Christopher Lee for this shit, did he even read the script?

He even read it twice. The second time for the German dub. And he even retranslated some of his lines when he didn't like what the German translator had come up with.

Sadly, this video has the sound pitched up on top of having the picture altered to avoid getting DMCA'd, but his German is just perfect. Some weird inflections here and there, but spotless otherwise.
youtu.be/mzzIz66uXas

>Talks about a film called the last unicorn
>Posts a picture of a horse

What the fuck are you trying to say OP?

>The story makes no sense
>The characters are wooden
>The dialogue is beyond atrocious

Please tell me what stories you like so I know what kind of garbage morons are into.

You made me remember the best review of the movie ever done:
media.libsyn.com/media/gooberzilla/unicorn061109.mp3
(The Greatest Movie EVER Podcast)

Due to the reading, I got the feeling that absolutely everybody in the movie is completely depressed because magic is vanishing from the world. They are all missing something, but they can't put their finger on it, so a life worth living, full of wonder, slowly becomes "s'just life, y'know".
The characters look that way, too. Not dead-eyed in a disinterested way, but like they're thinking all the time "That'll nice, if only I could remember how to feel".

No, he was talking about Unico.

Here, is this better?

That's a unicorn alright. I can see the horn!

>Horse with a stick glued on its head

It's not even a graceful horse. It looks like its one winter away from the glue factory.

the tuft of hair doesn't even match the mare's color!