Why do people say the Friends reference on Animaniacs is dated? Kids still know about Friends even today...

Why do people say the Friends reference on Animaniacs is dated? Kids still know about Friends even today. The React video is proof of that, as well as the fact that I have seen kids recognize the characters when I show Friends to them. The reference is just as timeless as The Macarena (which schools still use) and Beauty and the Beast which many generations know about. TV Tropes can sometimes be wrong about things. Animaniacs does have dated material, yes. However, those references aren't dated

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xOFG_qmoH8I
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGb7sC4mpk0
youtube.com/watch?v=CjsmClAD8yk
imdb.com/name/nm0557926/
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=6641
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=6645
youtube.com/watch?v=1xmAC9Qu908
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I only know about Friends from references. Duckman did a hilarious one
i don't remember this one at all

Knowing about something and relating to it are completely different things.

Explain

What I want to know is if this Animaniacs reboot/revival happens what's the new lyric going to be instead of the not so contemporary "while Bill Clinton plays the sax"?

So if Friends, Macarena, and Beauty and the Beast are still known among kids today, why are they considered dated references?

People can understand something on a superficial level, but not know enough about it to truly understand and appreciate it.

Like if I referenced [popular video game you know/heard about through memes] vs if I referenced [video game you care about and understand well]

Most kids who recognize the Macerna from school have probably never seen the music video the skit is parodying.

Duckman's was probably the best one any piece of media has ever done period.

>Kids still know about Friends
college freshman here, i have never seen an episode of it

Because they where fads and by the time the refernece comes along the fad had passed

On the React Channel they showed the intro to Friends and all the teens knew what it was.

You little baby boy. You little infant child. Tell me you are at least aware of Seinfield?

I still see little girls loving Belle. Beauty and the Beast is still popular. It even got a live action remake recently

the intro is/was a meme so that's the only exposure to it instead of actually watching an episode
aware of yes, watched no.

The show still airs on Nick at Nite constantly. In terms of reruns the show has never left the air

>Nick at Nite
Teenagers aren't watching nick at nite.

>animaniacs reboot
I honestly can't imagine how that could possibly turn out well in today's environment.

Yeah they do. Otherwise Friends wouldn't still be on Nick at Nite today. Theres a reason its still on and has Thanksgiving marathons every year

CG animaniacs.

AAAAAAAGH

Also, the people in that video were praising Friends

"While Jim Fallon fakes his laughs"?

more likely people in their 20s rather than teens

calarts animaniacs, you mean

I watched Nick at Nite when I was 8 in 2005. I would watch Full House on there at 5 in the morning

>from TV Tropes
>completely autistic fixation on pointless forgettable scenes

Checks out

Animaniacs frankly seems more dated than looney tunes most of the time

yeah and its >current year 2005 was 12 years ago shit has changed

True. But references like Rugrats, Power Rangers, Prince, Barney, Macerena, Pocahontas, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Friends are timeless references. Its just that the show has a lot of 90s Hollywood dated references

well but the thing is looney tunes didnt exactly have a TON of references...like they had caircatures of celebrities sometimes but they were more about just coping with the dangers of a modern world, which is a more modern concept than what is on contemporary broadcast tv, which is by its nature a transient medium.

"While Al Franken grabs an ass"

"We've got wisecracks by the stacks" was occasionally used as an alternate verse. Most likely it'll be the permanent replacement.

That is true

I'd take mediocre Calarts over garish CG, but we're talking about what flavor of shit is better at that point.

animaniacs is pretty calarts

>references like Rugrats, Power Rangers, Prince, Barney, Macerena, Pocahontas, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and Friends are timeless references

None of those things you just listed are 'timeless' references.

TMS shill pls leave

Bait.

Are you saying I responded to bait, or that my post is bait? Because while it's way too early to tell whether the Lion King is timeless, everything else on that list definitely does not deserve the label 'timeless'. Like, if people were still talking about Rugrats several generations from now the same way people still laugh about the Three Stooges, or Charlie Chaplin, then yeah I'd say it was timeless, but I think you and I know that won't happen.

Beauty and the Beast did really well in theaters with the live action movie remake. I saw a lot of kids at the theater. Also, the Power Rangers comics are doing really well. Bait

I get the references in old loony tunes cartoons, but it doesn't mean that they aren't dated. Actually remember my grandma explaining the "turn out that light" gag in some of them referring to having to turn out their lights so their homes wouldn't get bombed by planes.

youtube.com/watch?v=xOFG_qmoH8I

Also, people still talk about Rugrats. Memes, The Splat, I've even seen Rugrats merch at stores recently. And adults have introduced their kids to the show. Your post is bait

I think rugrats has potential to be timeless because it is memorable and well made but its not really a sure thing for anything, dig?

>Beauty and the Beast did really well in theaters with the live action movie remake.

The only reason Beauty and the Beast might qualify as a 'Timeless' reference would be because it was an actual folk story for hundreds of years before Disney made it into a cartoon. And no, the fact that a reboot did well does not make it 'timeless' because fucking every 90's and 80's fad gets a remake these days and people will pay to see any garbage in theaters. The fact that Jumanji, Beauty and the Beast, and Power Rangers got remakes or adaptations doesn't make the timeless, it makes Hollywood creatively bankrupt you dumb troper.

Also its not too early to tell whether Lion King is timeless. It came out 23 years ago. Before Friends. Both of them are timeless also

I just feel that 'timeless' is a pretty strong word for something that probably won't be remembered in 50 years. Like, do you really think that, if you showed an 18-year-old in the year 2067 Animaniacs, they would get any of the references except maybe the Lion King?

I understand now. Sorry about all that. Ignore the last post I made before this post

I don't know necessarily if timlessness connotates popularity, popeye isnt super popular necessarily but it still is fresh and holds up and such

What I want to understand is why people seem to be so fixated on the "topical pop culture references" aspect of the show. Like, I understand there were a lot, but there were also many references to older established pop culture that already stood the test of time as well as conventional jokes that stood on their own like wordplay and insults.

>"Sire?"
>"Wait till we're alone!"

>I understand there were a lot, but there were also many [other things]

Not that many. Other than the songs, there were very few redeeming things about the show. Some unfunny jokes were stretched into entire recurring skits.

Animaniacs is 60% dated refers to old pop culture, 30% poorly thought out shit that wasn't funny in the least and 10% pinkie and the brain

"Donald Trump gets two scoops"

>The React video
It baffles me how much people like this crap. Are people unaware how they should react to things so they need to have instructions about it? I can understand the curiosity of a few of them, but the majority is just so stupid.

Did you ever like the show? I introduced Animaniacs to my really young cousin recently and he loved it despite not getting the references and adult humor. He just really loved the silliness and general humor of the show

Why are today's cartoons not as good as the old ones?

Rob Paulsen has said that he loved working on Animaniacs

As a 12 year old watching "Woodstock Slappy" for the first time, I couldn't relate to the Woodstock festival. But I knew what it was, and picked up on some of the music references that were being made, because I wasn't dumb. Most kids who would watch a show like Animaniacs aren't.

Well, considering that they replaced it with "We pay tons of income tax" and that reference isn't dated, so...

If you want to watch a show that's even more dated than Animaniacs, there's an obscure show called Tiny Toons. Filled with 90s references and MTV Music Video parodies

Rob Paulsen is a cuck that sold out to Chris Hardwick and his shekel-loving company of faux nerds

A few topical suggestions:

>"While the mainstream media distorts the facts"
>"While tranny dicks get the ax"
>"While we throw out the wetbacks"
>"Around blacks, never relax"

Everybody who worked on the show loved it. It's heartwarming when I see footage of them at conventions reiterating how they all knew at the time that "it doesn't get any better than this".

Well, I quite liked a lot of the humor, so my gain, I suppose.

>that reference isn't dated
That's largely in part due to the show taking place in SoCal and they have one of the highest income tax rates in the US.

>Not that many. Other than the songs, there were very few redeeming things about the show. I should know because I watched all of one episode once, and devaluing critically acclaimed animation made before I was born is what underaged faggots do best!

Well, it's dated.
But I cannot blame them.
The Orville and Big Mouth also recently featured them.

If this was BBT there'd be some canned laughter right after those specs. Though how dated they pretty are is kinda funny now.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGb7sC4mpk0

Ever see "Eat at Joe's?" Tell me where Joe's is. That's your answer.

Well, WW2 references certainly are fresher today than ancient Hollywood stars dead and buried all together fifty years ago.

>I can understand the curiosity of a few of them, but the majority is just so stupid.
That's just the thing it's a nice bait and switch of sorts, I won't say they're all actors but most of them are obviously personalities and handpicked for being showmen. So the first batch of clickbait they react to is to draw an audience that will then hang around to see their fav comment for a few seconds on whatever triviality, dumping millions views onto each video regardless of what it's about.
It's the old min effort, max profit equation.

The whole Challenge fad, in which the challenge is not any real feat of skill but the impression of the shenanigans being competition helps better mold the template than just random antics, is another example of doing a lot of nothing for a few minutes and getting a lot of pull from it.

What you need to do, my man, is just click on the trending feed every few days to get an idea of what's the standard and slowly lose any and all hope, then you'll never be baffled because the depression will have slowly taken over its place.

Pop culture references are inherently dated. They're a cheap way to substitute developing a humorous situation within your own story.

Good referential joke is first of all is a joke. You laugh at it for because it's good and laugh some more if you understand the reference.

That's what separates dated from not dated.

>The Macarena
>timeless
I was one of the millions of little kids back then who heard that song being overplayed at school and on the radio. Seeing a cringe-worthy animated rendition of it near the end of the fad's popularity wasn't fun to watch.
>TV Tropes can sometimes be wrong about things
Did you just make this thread to vent about your victim complex over another website's userbase?

>Kids still know about Friends even today
Even if that's true, that doesn't mean kids like seeing references of it.

Yes, indeed, this is the common criticism against the Seltzerberg ""satire"" movies, for example. I would submit that Animaniacs did it correctly more often than not, though. In OP's Friends parody there are examples of both.

It's a classic placeholder name like Acme.
There is not one Joe's, but virtually dozens of small businesses everywhere by that generic name. The weak-ass slogan "eat at Joe's" also points to small local businesses as they would commonly advertise in the past with no or little support from advertising professionals.
Among the more commonly known instances of this trope is Norman Rockwell's Runaways which points to a small diner actually named Joe's in Lee, Massachusetts.
Of course I read that on Wikipedia. I'm not even American, how would I know about ancient references like that?

>Did you just make this thread to vent about your victim complex over another website's userbase?
I'm not validating OP and many other's habits, but in case you haven't noticed even with all the screencaps and links posted with
>Well, are they right?/What did they mean by this/etc
for some time now Sup Forums has simply become the dumping ground to vent anonymously about other sites and users. I don't think anyone after 2014, and I'm being lenient with that date, ever even came here for self generated discussion.

In fact within the next hour someone is probably going to comment about something some e-celeb or their fanbase said or did.

>However, those references aren't dated
References are always dated. Good original material always last the test of time. It's why nobody remembers shit about old Looney Tunes' celebrity cameos but the Rabbit/Duck Season bit can be recalled by just about anyone.

Who cares if it is dated? Educate yourself, babbys.

This post sounds just like the bitter Animaniacs writers who got mad at Pokemon, Power Rangers, and Batman easily stealing their ratings.

Don't get mad at others because they prefer a show to stand on its own.

>To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Animaniacs. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of 90s sitcoms most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head.

>I wasn't dumb
>most kids aren't

>HAHAHA PICKLE RIIICK HAHAHA HIGH IQ PASTA

I think you're the exception to that "most", user.

>educating myself over a shitton of cheesy 90's references
Nah, Animaniacs isn't worth that trouble. Freakazoid on the other hand...

Only reason I remember this segment

youtube.com/watch?v=CjsmClAD8yk

Fun fact, some of Animaniacs' crew will later go on to freelance (they're been laid off since 2004 but still do work for Telecom from time to time) for Pokemon years later.

imdb.com/name/nm0557926/
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=6641
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=6645

Welp, he's here. Time to pack up the thread, everybody.

No he is not, relax.

Have you even read the links?

He hasn't mentioned Lupin or Hamtaro yet so it's not him

youtube.com/watch?v=1xmAC9Qu908
This was way more dated desu

Animaniacs was always trash.
Not shitposting, not trolling. The show was extremely unfunny.
Freakazoid is where the good shit was.

they were practically the same show

I feel like there should be a rule about making Animaniacs threads at this point. Namely not to.

Not even close.

Animaniacs is just family guy with slightly better animation

God I wish.
Family Guy just namedrops celebrities for random gags while having an episode plot
Animaniacs is just a show about being as annoying as they can to celebrities kids don't even know about.

Debunked years ago.
Also Animaniacs has much better animation then Family Guy.

And only The Warners were intended to be annoying.

while drumpf doesn't release his tax

TMS shill pls leave

they had the same shitty artstyle
same shitty randumb jokes
same shitty references
same shiitty gimmick of having main characters whose only personality trait is their extreme obnoxiousness
they were the same fucking show, just one also tried to ham-fist generic superhero plots every episode