I really don't get why they didn't swap out Emma Frost for Mystique in the new X-Men films

I really don't get why they didn't swap out Emma Frost for Mystique in the new X-Men films.

It would solve literally every single problem, both in production and in the continuity.

>JenLaw wouldn't bitch about not wanting to be blue all the time
>that in turn would get rid of the awkward "why is she back to human form" problem from the sequels
>we wouldn't have a completely retarded mystique backstory that doesn't match with the previously established mystique personality
>Emma's comic book history is much closer to what they had Mystique do in the new movies than Mystique herself
>they wouldn't have to fucking kill Emma offscreen in the second film
>her fate would be much more open ended since she doesn't show up in later movies, giving the writers freedom from continuity
>Emma's power-set is closer to Xavier's, giving her much more reason to grow attached to him as a character and see him as a peer and "big brother" figure, while still giving her the "body modification" thing that allows her arc with magneto to develop.

It's such an obvious solution to everything, I have no idea how no one during the production of the movie brought that up.

JLaw makes them money

Yep. She's expensive, but it's an investment.

She also has a lot of negative publicity. It'd be cheaper to axe her and replace her with someone new as Emma Forst.

They cast J Law, not thinking she'd become the big star she is now. They figured they could just bully her to keep the makeup but she got too big.

It’s a shame given how more deserving Emma is to Mystique

Does she really? All the people I know that watched this movie couldn't care less for her. Hunger Games movies grossed less and less after ever iteration, and that's the only thing she's known for apart for playing a horrible Mystic. Is she really the star power Hollywood think she is?

What does that have to do with anything? It would still be her, and she'd actually be able to do a better job since she said multiple times she hated acting in costume, which is why they had to tone down the make-up in the following entries, runing her entire "mutant and proud" development from First Class.

I'm saying the solution would've been replacing her character, not the actress.

>It would solve literally every single problem, both in production and in the continuity.

What problems?

Why the fuck do you think a movie's success has anything to do with how much Sup Forums likes it?

Jesus, that's a five head and a half.

Are you mentally retarded? Did you even read the rest of the post? The movie suffered from a ton of plot-holes and production issues involving the actress and the character.

Because they wanted a gay civil rights metaphor and Mystique can play that part better.

Unfortunately the Emma character was given to January Jones. She looked the part but was BORING
whatever else you call Emma Frost she shouldn't be boring

they both need to be recast

>Movie fans only know Emma Frost as a cameo in a Wolverine movie, and as a villain that died off-screen
>Comics Emma Frost is a murderous villain again like back in the 1980s, with added grief-induced insanity
>Marvel is bringing Jean Grey back and pushing her as the most important female character in X-Men comics
>Speculation of Storm getting a big push and a new solo book
>Mystique is the most important female character in the movies, followed by Jean and Storm

Emma Frost fans on suicide watch?

>wanting best girl to be portrayed by a disgusting piece of shit actress
No. It's a mercy she was killed off, her character would've been butchered beyond repair and would probably worse than what Scott's rep is in the movies.

Make JLaw be Emma Frost, Mystique was copying Emma/JLaw appeareance alll this time for reasons like it happened with Domino/Copycat

Emma best live action was the Generation X TV movie.

The main reason is twofold:

January Jones had a bad reputation of being hard to work with during First Class so they liked Emma off off-screen in DOFP

JL signed up to do First Class right before she started getting A-list roles and basically the studio decided to exploit her for as long as they had her under contract for multiple films

OP saying they should have swapped the roles of the characters along with the actresses.

Like, keep everything as it is, but instead of JL being Mystique, she's Emma Frost, and Jones is Mystique instead. So you'd have JL as Frost, growing up with Xavier and etc, and Mystique with the terrorists. The plot remains literally untouched, save for a few minor rewrites, and the continuity doesn't take a huge hit,

It's literally the best alternative, and so simple that I can't believe no one thought about it.

what's blowing my mind about this is how Emma Frost in First Class did like the same thing Mystique did in the Singer X-Men.

still mad people blame Jones and not the writing though, she's good casting for Emma.

Yes, exactly. It's almost like they purposely swapped the characters for no reason. Mystique would be perfect for everything they used Emma for, and vice versa.

It's like someone made a movie in which wolverine is a no-nonsense straight man trying to lead a team and do the right thing and cyclops is a drunk amnesiac nomad with violent urges and a short temper.

LOOK AT THE TOP OF HER HEAD

>wolverine is a no-nonsense straight man trying to lead a team and do the right thing and cyclops is a drunk amnesiac nomad with violent urges and a short temper.
Wasn't this basically X3?

I think the simple answer is that mystique has always been way more popular with normies, and the studio wanted to go with the safe bet and just use mystique as the new protagonist (duetagonist?) for the series.

>Emma is an on/off professor at the Academy
>recruits Cyclops
>raises him to adulthood
>bangs him
I wonder how much it bothers Emma that she's older than Scott.

It makes SOME sense, in a really fucked up, "we have no idea of what we're doing", way.

I mean, the audience is used to seeing mystique as a really hardcore villain in the old films. Choosing her as a deuteragonist is more confusing than safe.

I feel the slowly retconed he age difference between her and Scott so now it’s only a 3 year difference

>JLaw makes them money
Haven't even pirated much less paid to watch any of her movies

Have you seen who they cast as Frost?
You think JLaw's acting is bad, this chick felt like if one of those robot hot chicks with gun nipples from Austin Powers trying to act human.

Also wouldn't solve Magneto starting off as an X-Man and the gay love triangle shit.

JLaw isn't close to being attractive enough to be Emma, and you're not solving much if we still have to suffer through JLaw as a protagonist.

How old was Scott when he died? I feel like he wasn't any older than 30, Emma could easily be at least 10 years older than him without her being anymore of a hag than she already is.

Someone is rumored to die in the next movie. Everyone hopes it's Mystique, including Jlaw.

Apocalypse was their big attempt at a true modern day blockbuster and it was a disappointment.

JLaw is nowhere near as profitable as you think.

I feel like that's a Dōjinshi in the making if Xmen gets bigger over there.