Hey Arnold Movie Critique

Anyone else feel like things were rushed like also a lot of things kind of seemed to happen very unnaturally? It didn't feel like I was watching a continuation of the last episode. My first issue was the art. Everything seemed bubbly and not as intimate as the episodes are (which usually has a darker tone and more zoomed in on the characters rather than wide shots of background) another issue was how he got to San Lorenzo in the first place. I get that it was a set up but that didn't seem natural to me. What would have been a better more natural way of getting there is if Arnold had shared his story with Gerald and eventually Gerald tells all his friends and they eventually decide they wanna return all his kindness by either saving up money for him to go on the trip to see his parents or they send in that video to a local news group that ends up wanting to sponsor his trip. His classmates are able to tag along because they were the ones who put the whole thing together or the school decides they may as well kill two birds with one stone to make it an education trip as well. The bad guy could have came in because he starts to notice Arnold is snooping around the area where evidence of his thievery is and tried to put a stop to it but then realizes Arnold is in fact a necessary key to getting to the green eyed people.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O5vEM7hFIqkelndst-P4nPky_dsXvLJP?usp=sharing
mega.nz/#F!IBgBiK7K!Ol1VgVRkjf7eJaKHOhC45g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>cont.

As for the parents I actually did like the idea that they too eventually succumbed to the illness but I would have made their reunion more special. It was way too rushed and unnatural. Same thing with Arnold and Helgas relationship changing. It seemed more like he kissed her more as a favor. What would have been more natural is if she confessed but he didn't know how to respond but as the movie goes on she now drops the facade and he starts to see that she is actually really sincere and cares about him leading up to a moment where maybe they both think they are gonna die and they kiss. One last thing was I think they shouldn't have gone in the whole chosen one route. It seemed kind of far out compared to how the show usually is. A better more heart touching thing would be to find his parents notes on the cure and how to make it and Arnold and his friends go out to find the ingredients all while the bad guy is trying to stop them (because he cannot steal from the tribe if they are all awake).

Thats just my opinion. Don't get me wrong. I am grateful that this happened but felt like with all the wait craig could have put a little more effort into the show.

Lasombra namely

Lasombra’s death was not nearly as intense as I thought it would be but it was because of his death that earned the movie its TV-PG rating but regardless of that I expected something better

>Find the Heart of Gold
>Dont give a shit about what is on the other side of the lost city. This Gold Heart has to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars on the black market
>almost kill yourself haphazardly running across a rope bridge
>watch Arnold solve quite literally the easiest tomb raider puzzle ever
>Sudden your Plot McGuffin gets Angry at you and shoots you with a Security Dart
>Literally fall to your death (allegedly) down a revene
>Climb back up said revene you fell into intoxicated and now dying for real
>Question just how deep this pit actually is if its that easy to climb back out despite a fucking rope bridge being underneath you
>Literally pull your poisoned dart out of your forehead and use it to stab Eduardo
>Suddenly the poison takes control of you completely and you fall down that fucking pit again

They should have done something similar to Indiana Jones where touching the Gold Heart was like touching the Hand of Midas where it turns you into Gold.

I loved the movie, but I noticed that the movie was a bit rushed honestly.

What's with revivals having pacing issues? Samurai Jack also had this problem

It's from wanting to shove as many callbacks and "remember when" moments for the fans who were waiting so long for it. They played to the crowd too much and forgot they had to write an actual story.

Once the high of seeing the revived show wears off, your left wondering what the hell was the plot point.

I agree. And this is coming from someone who liked both finales. If I have to choose which one was more rushed though, it would be Jack. Everything moved way too quickly and it felt underwhelming at points

both finales? you mean the movie and the last episode?

Nothing can ever live up to its hype, but the jungle movie tied up some important loose ends and had the characters we enjoyed watching interact for a last time. It was done with respect to the original show and it was cozy.

Was it perfect? Obviously not.
Some things were hamfisted because they needed to fit a lot into a short amount of time, but nothing so glaring that it could ruin the experience or shit on what the show used to be (e.g. samurai jack).

didn't like the smartphone inclusion

I know Hey Arnold lasted up until mid 00's but I still always placed it in late 90's and the beeper jokes were funny but Rhonda with the phone took me out too much even if it could be played off as a joke about how she's really rich and could get it before it's time still too much for a joke

some jokes didn't always land but that's fine

also would have liked to see some of the last of Lila but the cameo was nice

pacing was weird and it felt very awkward at times but it told what we wanted it to and was meaningful when it needed to be so overall pretty good I'd say!

Yeah. Enjoyed both, but noticed the flaws

hmmm i gotta watch that last episode again. I remember it being really good.

> Arnold and Helgas relationship changing
>would have been more natural is if she confessed but he didn't know how to respond

Dude I'd say the best way to think of this is to look at the original movie's take on the Helga/Arnold confession

it's more creepy and the kiss scene was literally forced and insincere

Here in this film Helga confesses early on and continues to be herself, "tsundere" sorry that's the only way to describe it qualities and all. At the bridge they almost pull the "we're about to die so let's kiss" route but I'm glad they didn't because it's very cliche honestly

Arnold at the end admits he basically always suspected Helga liked him and he initiates the kiss and it looks like most PDA from there

Let's be honest this relationship was developing from the beginning of the show and had a ending that was one of the stronger aspects of the movie in my opinion.

I am thoroughly convinced Genndy lost his shit with Samurai Jack or his wife pushed the inclusion of a female character really hard and he was unable to say no.

The first 3 episodes were absolute KINO but then it just fucking took a nosedive with Ashi being shoehorned in and a handful of old characters basically coming back to do fuckall.

There was absolutely 0 reason to kill the Scotsman and he served no purpose being dead. He literally just took up empty screentime to die in an already poorly paced series.
They had 10 episodes to build a redemption arc with Jack and completely fucked it up.

It's so fucking confusing watching the first 3 episodes and then looking at the rest. It went from genuine good shit to babby's first highschool directorial debut.

Yes I am still mad.

looks like I'm retarded and didn't notice anything close to "fast-paced"

mind sharing some examples?

There shows that know they have to finish up, but they had many seasons of material and ideas. So they need to compress the plot and ideas to fit.

the reunion with his parents. think about it. they havent seen him since he was a baby. It didnt savor anything. The kiss scene felt more like "well you did nice things so i guess i like you"

Oh no I feel a familiar feeling creeping up from behind me, a disgusting feeling that is always as awful no matter how many years have passed or in whatever thing I am currently obsessed about

It's the need to read fanfics

Still overall an infinitely more enjoyable conclusion than samurai jack

I'll grant the kiss scene happening when they die is cliche but im sure there is a better sport like maybe at the same point in this movie works too but my point was the the movie should have shown arnould progressively show interest in helga. I agree that the confession was right to happen as early as it did in the movie but we see zero chemistry until they way end when everything is all well. To me, they missed out a great chance to make that more meaningful rather than just "well you did nice things for me, so i guess i like you too" kiss scene.

Felt perfect to me

some people "felt" like bernie sanders was going to win and look how that turned out.

The worst thing the movie did is giving me the desire for one more season. I want to see Arnold's life with his parents now, his relationship with Helga, and their 6th grade year When the hell did they go through 5th grade?.

The movie could've ended with his parents being the cliche perfect parents, but they're really kooky and weird. I understand they haven't seen him in a decade, but they were super clingy. And the first thing they want to do as a family is something adventurous, and it's obvious that Arnold wants something more downplayed. I want to see this family grow some more.

I hope Nick actually does consider another season.

To be fair they had 90 minutes. If this was released with the series back then there would've been a lot more focus - less characters to reintroduce and redevelop, and less time retelling plot points fans would've already known back when the show was airing.

Jack had a whole season, and apparently blew it.

Arnold didn't confess to Helga, he just said he noticed her feelings. Him giving her a kiss and holding her hand is just typical Arnold trying to help others with their problems.

>their 6th grade year When the hell did they go through 5th grade?.
I always thought the series was around 2 years. They did say this and there that they're in 4th grade, but theres summer vacation episode in the mix and the characters did feel like they got older around the last seasons.

Sure, but actually offering his hand to her to walk to school is far more than just a gratitude kiss - if that's all you think it was.

Lewd!

>I am thoroughly convinced Genndy lost his shit with Samurai Jack or his wife pushed the inclusion of a female character really hard and he was unable to say no.
Ashi was based off the childhood dream that inspired samurai jack, where he was a lone samurai in a post apocalypse surviving with the girl next door he had a crush on. There are interviews on youtube where he directly says this. S5 is the product Genndy going full sperg and no one stopping him.

I ranted over here OP:

I'm pretty sure what he said to her got the point across to everyone

OP here. I agree with you. It's a damn shame that people will actually call this a 'masterpiece". Wanna know the unfortunate part? They will most likely make a season 6 in the same cheesy fashion. How do I know this? Because they aired it on nickolodeon rather than exclusively on "splat". The movie was drawn that way and written in such a way that a kid who has never seen HA can jump in and be entertained enough to think "you know this would be a good show to watch". This is why it didn't resemble much of craigs work. TJM was something he already made during the HA series but the concept actually differs a bit. Just look at his early art work for the movie. It's my opinion that it sucked so bad because they were more focus in getting new viewers rather than keep the old ones. After all we don't watch enough nick for them to give a damn about pleasing us. It's to get new kids on board so they needed to make the art and plot as appealing as possible.

Well, only Craig knows for sure, user.
At the end of the day, its Nick fault for fucking up the entire franchise in the first place.

Like the entire thing where where the TV movie went to the big screen, and then the big screen movie is now the TV movie, just fucked everything up. I ranted more in another threads. Gotta bed.

I still thought it was satisfying. Not the best. But a hell of a lot more satisfying than Jack's ending.

But why have the movie focus on only old fans?

Because The Jungle Movie was supposed to give closure, it was supposed to be the finale, it was supposed to revolve around tying up the cliffhanger from The Journal.

Nick has been doing nostalgia cashgrab like crazy; "90s kids" are the only people that really give a shit. Hey Arnold already has several seasons, it doesn't need to be rebooted.

Here comes the autists out of the woodwork...

>Nick has been doing nostalgia cashgrab like crazy; "90s kids" are the only people that really give a shit.
So when they do the Rocko's Reboot, they'll get the new fans. Least you got Spongebob.

If you want to support the movie legally, it's on Youtube, Amazon and iTunes for $5

The whole movie was contrived bullshit.

The original leak thread was better than this. We all loved it.

>things kind of seemed to happen very unnaturally
The movie keeps reminding you that it's all very unnatural, like the scene where Black Best Friend tells White Lead that the Plot Device appears to be tailored exactly to his needs.

Or how about the scene where the fucking pig takes a plane to the US and TALKS to Arnold's grandparents and tells them he's in trouble and exactly where to find him.

Fucking idiot. It's a fairy tale.

>tfw no best friend

Anyone got a link? The one I have is dead already

Also looking for a link since my normal source is offline right now.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O5vEM7hFIqkelndst-P4nPky_dsXvLJP?usp=sharing

mega.nz/#F!IBgBiK7K!Ol1VgVRkjf7eJaKHOhC45g

You're a godsend user. I'll watch right now

Yay I love you user, thank you.

How the fuck is the kiss itself not enough for people?

>That leg lift

How much lewder can you get on Nickelodeon?

i didn't like the plot and a lot of the writing felt really cheap, i hate how arnold's parents say like two words total because i wanted to see them be cool and say awesome things, they should have ended the movie with them being long dead instead of sleeping if they were going to give us that
there was no reason only arnold could get the hearth other than plot convinience
it made no sense that arnolds dad built the ancient looking technology in the temple it was just another bullshit reason to have him be the chosen one
the secret green eye society was really fucking lame, even if it was just their kids, the temple looked lame it was probably designed by a 3d artist on one afternoon
there was no reason to show the apartment with the torn picture, it would have made sense if it foreshadowed something and we didn't have the pig yeling at the screen that the bad guy was a bad guy, it looks like a scene that was edited out of the movie
the only saving grace is that every character is written in character, the bad guy is a typical arnold villain and not some cartoony shit and the whole thing feels mundane like the show felt

>i hate how arnold's parents say like two words total because i wanted to see them be cool and say awesome things, they should have ended the movie with them being long dead instead of sleeping if they were going to give us that
I'm fairly sure they had more than 2 lines. And the way it ended with it being a happy ending but them being kind of off was perfect

Honestly, it could have been saved by Arnold just verbally telling Helga he loved her. I know why he didn't, because that's more fodder for a sixth season that'll never get made, but there you go.

>people need it to be explicitly said instead of shown

They say difficulty interpreting actions and emotions is a major symptom of autism

This.

That's very true, and the fact that you completely missed my point is quite alarming. Have you been tested before, user?

It was a lukewarm confession, and no amount of fanboying can cover that up. The two major plot points, Arnold's parents and his feelings for Helga, played out with a thud.

They're in middle school, user. There was kissing and handholding. What more could they do on a kids' show?

To think I waited 21 years for this moment.

This is the moment we waited 21 years for.

>Least you got Spongebob.
You can keep it, that franchise is almost 20 years old, it should have died already a while back.

>So when they do the Rocko's Reboot, they'll get the new fans.
I think its a harder sell when shows like HA! and Rocko come with such a 90s feel. If Rocko's life is so 'modern', he gonna have a smartphone, updating his profile and hashtag-ing and shit? No thanks, I'd rather not all my old Nicktoons be molested by the hand of current-day technology.

Could you imagine Thornberries, As Told By Ginger, Rocket Power, or Rugrats, being a modern cartoon set in 2017/2018? UGH, yuck, no thanks.

Yeah it was worth it. They're pure and cute. Wait until they're in high school in your fanfictions to fuck

I think we all agree Helga grew up to be a total freak in bed.

Hot rape

And lived happily ever after. So cozy, this is all we need in a world full of shit.

There's a lot of room for manoeuvre there.

Well duh. That's the point of courting

lewds of the green eyed princess when?

Is it just me or did they leave it really ambiguous if the ending really happened?

No, they didn't. It happened.

Blatant lies.

This picture has been shooped. I can tell from the pixels.

Grandma and the pig talking was a running joke in the original series, idiot. It's always left up in the air if Abner is just sending a general "Arnold is in danger" oink and his grandma just interprets it to be crazy while getting the bottom line. I think Grandpa just humors her some of the time. My great grandpa had dementia and would go off on tangents like that and sometimes we'd play along because it was easier than fighting him about how nothing like that was going on.

Stop taking everything at face value.

>current day Rocket Power
Well for starters Reggie and Twister take center stage what with them being minorities. Otto probably ends up being shat on on the regular for being too confident, competive and white male. Squid may end up being the viewpoint character so that he could serve as a viewpoint character for the beta male target demographic or completely sidelined.

Yeah. It's a neon evangelism reference. Arnold Helga and Gerald reached puberty that instant succumbed to the sleep illness and are dreaming along with the adults

Is it just me or did they leave it really ambiguous if the ending really happened?

I'm fresh off a first watching so maybe it's just me, but I got the big impression that everything after Lasombra dying didn't happen.

It's very idealistic from that point out, and Arnold's parents talk a lot like they did in his dreams at the start of the movie. I think that he did end up kissing Helga and that moment is real but it feels like Arnold is imagining his parents around him now.

If he had been through the trauma of everything in san lorenzo it doesn't seem too strange to me.

I might be overthinking it but it would totally cockblock Nickelodeon from making a new series if his parents are dead.

Plus I really thought lasombra said he pushed his parents off a cliff right before he drops dead? It was really fast so I'll have to rewatch. I didn't question it because I thought the green eyes or eduardo would explain it or something.

Am I just too high?

You're high.

It was great, the ending was on fast forward though. This should've been a full blown theatrical budget 2 hour movie. Does Nick hate money or something?

Was it rushed at parts? Sure. But I enjoyed the whole movie from start to finish. The movie was fucking great. I had lots of flash backs to watching the show back when it was airing. Solid movie.

Let's face it. The target audience for this movie doesn't watch Nick anymore and likely watched it for free on the internet.

I bought the movie anyway to show my support, but I doubt many others will.

>Arnold missing his parents
>parents day theme plays
>Helga watching
>parents day begins playing in violin, which is the instrument that plays whenever Helga's theme plays
>talks about her love for him again
>parents day theme turns into Helga's theme

Was it kino?

Brown loli porn when?

I didn't like her rejecting the hand-holding. Would've been better if they made it official but Helga was still the dominant one in the relationship

This movie was fine and that's disappointing because we really waited much for get this movie since that it is the conclusion of the show. (the last scene with Arnold's parents have a really good dialogue and it was an good scene)

I found really weird that this movie has an humor that remember me to the old cartoons just like Spongebob and I like that humor but Hey Arnold never was that kind of cartoon, the characters were very human and if they were fat they can't be to used like a trampolite or float in the water, but the weird part for me is that this movie is aim for a nostalgic audience and if you know that they are older why the story isn't so mature how It used to be in our times, except for some scenes of characters dying it feels like any other movie for kids.

Another thing is that Arnold used to be very touching and emotional and it felt artificial during the movie and without any kind of subtlety different of the show, do you remember "It's funny some parents scold their childrens because they think the they [the kids] are always wrong". There any depth dialogue in this movie when you think about it, and the dialogue was an very important part of the show.

And I didn't see any progress of the characters during the movie. I mean yeah Arnold and Helga are in a relationship now but... she is exactly the same and Arnold too, wasn't she supposed to be different after confess her feelings or something? And the dialogue of Arnold discovering that he has feelings for her is very weird and it felt forced even if I like the ship.

Now this is a dumb question but... if that is the promotional cartel of the movie why we never see Helga with her hair loose in the movie? I don't really care but... why?

As I said before I liked the movie but certainly it's not close to the quality that AT and its descendents had during their respectives high peaks.

It was funny but I don't know if it was kino.

>didn't like the smartphone inclusion

People like you are such goddamn fucking babies. Smart phones have become a staple to society and aren’t going anywhere.

>I wish that guy who helped Helga find Mr. Hyunh’s didn’t use one of those new fangled computers, they’ll never last. It’s nothing more than pandering.

If a motherfucking cellphone pisses you off so much be grateful it only appeared in like, 3 short segments.

You're wrong. The show, while mostly very grounded, still had cartoon physics, sound effects, and Helga was constantly used for physical comedy gags. It was never ever really that deep, but that doesn't mean lines in the show and the movie couldn't be meaningful. Arnold recognising Helga's heart of gold is the logical conclusion to their entire relationship, everything she'd done for him ever since season 1.

How in the fuck is Arnold just going to straight up tell Helga "Yo I love you too", after all the stuff she put him through both good or bad. Arnold needs time to sort out his feelings. He knows Helga is a good person, and I am sure given enough time, he will come to really understand her and love her back.

I think if Arnold just blurted out "I love you, too" as a retort, it would have just sounded like every fuckin fanfic I ever read where a confession happens and Arnold returns his feelings. Arnold knew Helga was behind finding Arnold's parents. That's a BIGGIE, he ain't gonna let that slip by. He genuinely wanted to thank her, and it was done with a sincere kiss.

Of course, its funny to think that because Arnold knows so much now, once puberty hits, does Arnold start to feel pressured that he can't go out with any other chicks, knowing how Helga feels about him. Basically, does he loose his virginity to Helga? If he doesn't, does it shatter their relationship if they are not an "official" couple (knowing Helga she always wants to keep things hidden)? Will there be lots of fighting between them? Or, if Arnold and Helga do have sex for the first time, does Arnold than start resenting Helga possibly years later, when he realizes he can only sleep with and experience one woman, and was never given the chance to explore other possibilities. I don't see Arnold as cheater, but I can see him being frustrated that basically he is chained to Helga forever, like it or not. Because he doesn't want to hurt her feelings and make her feel unwanted, because she felt so much of that growing up.

>2002 movie kiss.

Yeah I haven't watched Nick in 10 years and watched the movie on kiss cartoon but still there's a huge market for 90s and early 2000s nostalgia, this shit would've printed money.

>Sometimes that mother, she looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. Y'know the thing about a mother, she's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes. When she comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'... until she makes your lunch.

They kiss like 3 times in the series itself. I assume that user means Arnold requiting her feelings somewhat.

So all in all... How did the movie do ratings wise?

I get Nick trying to cash in on the 90s nostalgia.
Thing is, I personally feel they waited too long. You could have done this at the start of the 2010s, when older fans had grown, but were still young enough to...yknow, have time to watch cartoons. Most of the original fans are now in their 30s, and I dunno about you, but I don't really have time to watch Nicktoons anymore.

And if Nick's plan was to cash in on parents introducing the shows they loved to their kids...well, its a much harder sell these days. Back when I grew up, you had cable, maybe satellite. Home computer/internet was out of grasp. Now today, young kids are so distracted by all this tech, always on their phones, texting, apps, games, social media...they look at cable television and go "wtf no what is this?".

"Hey new age kid wanna watch HA! with your old man?"
"Sorry dad. Since you stuck an ipad in font of my face since I was two, I am much to busy hammering away on my mobile tech to spare time watching kids cartoons.

>(the last scene with Arnold's parents have a really good dialogue and it was an good scene)
No, no, no. Re-watch it ten years from now. You will realize its very poorly written

Outside of some pacing issues, which is because of the script being re-worked to include references to older things, the only real problem I have is the modern designs of things, particularly the backgrounds. I mean, in the film, there's new footage using the old character designs and it looks a lot more like the old show, but okay maybe that's harder to animate and they want newer designs to appeal to modern kids, so I'll concede on that. But there are a lot of shots where character DO NOT mesh with the backgrounds, at all. It's like they're just plastered over top of it, and the backgrounds themselves in many shots do not seemed as artistically defined as they were in the original series; they just don't feel as coherent. Like, look at Pic related, one has a a budget of an average TV episode, the other has the budget of a TV special.

Also, a little bummed we didn't get the rumored sub-plot of Eduardo actually being La Sombra, which is why La Sombra always wore a mask in the footage we saw of him from the tests, and that Eduardo was the one who kept coercing Arnold's parents to go to things and them them almost dying.

You moron, Otto and Reggie are brother and sister. Sam's the only white guy in the group.

That Xmas episode was around 1997, computers in that regard were around for a long time prior to the show starting. If the dude used the Internet, its also believable because Internet access for many started in the early 90s.

>Smart phones have become a staple to society and aren’t going anywhere.
Which is fine if you have a current show, I have no problems with that. But when its put into a show whose timeline is from the 90s overlapping into the early 2000s, it feels kind of odd. You know and I know, that if Nick hadn't of dragged their heels so long to make this movie, it would have came out at a time where Rhonda having a flip-phone would have been acceptable. Because of the huge production time gap, they should have done their best to make TJM feel as much as it *could have been made* like it really *was* released in say 2003/2004.

So many people complaining about this detail shows that it was a wrong move to include a smartphone in the movie. Flip phone could have also taken images, and been used for the BS hacking Pheebs did.

Just picture Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, Thornberries, any old Nicktoon with modern tech in it. Personally, it would clash. In fact, it would change the entire scope of the Wild Thornberries, given how they were a fmaily heavily relaiant on the moblie tech of the time.

This eye thing was so weird, fuck man why do I think this its just so fuckin odd. I would have preferred they say something. Anything.

>They kiss like 3 times in the series itself.
Yes but its all common trope in kids cartoon to "block" the kiss.