What did the X-men have that the Doom Patrol didnt?

what did the X-men have that the Doom Patrol didnt?
how come they hit the mainstream

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h5EofwRzit0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The idea of x-men and mutants in general is that anyone could be a mutant and have cool super powers, that made it more inclusive

A second wind.

They got better costumes.

so did the Doom Patrol

They got a cartoon.

they didnt become big until the Byrne-Claremont run, that must have been around 1980

I think what made them big was the multinational aspect, the very different backstories, and the relationships of those characters.
You have Russian (communist) farmer from collective farm in Siberia, German acrobat who looks like a demon and was going to be burned alive by supersticious villagers, naked black woman who causes rain in Africa and is worshipped like a goddess, an Irishman in his 40s, a Canadian secret services guy who also looks like he is in his 40s, is a hairy manlet, and is an always angry loner, but for some reason knows Japanese, and then Scott and Jean to represent the original 60s X-Men.

Claremont wanted to get rid of all the 60s X-Men characters and shortly did, Jean died, and Scott retired to Alaska, making Storm the new leader.
Beast was an Avenger, Angel and Iceman were doing whatever. He had succeded at replacing the original X-Men with his X-Men but it was ruined by the first resurrection of Jean.

better art, better costume designs and way better villains and a coherent plot.

only someone who has never read pre Morrison Doom Patrol would ever ask that question.

>way better villains
Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man is better than all the X-Men villains combined

>Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man is better than all the X-Men villains combined

Get out.

They're all white. They have worse costumes. Their Prof X is a sociopath

They're made by the superior company.

A good villain

A consistent ongoing written by Chris Claremont full of interpersonal drama and strict continuity.

Seriously, that's it. Claremont put the X-Men on the map.

Like a decade after the X-Men took off.

and Byrne! And Cockrum! And JRJR! And Paul Smith! And Silvestri! And Jim Lee!

well i guess you gotta give byrne and cockrum the most credit for the set up

>Claremont wanted to get rid of all the 60s X-Men characters and shortly did

Not really. Claremont brought first Jean and then Angel back to the team. What he wanted was to change the team's dynamic every now and then and let the characters retire to live their lives.

And Len Wein who trusted Claremont to take the reign of the book. Also created Wolverine.

being a mutant is a genetic condition that generally manifests during puberty

You can do gay, jewish concentration camp, jewish zionism-search for own state, apartheid, slavery, nazism, aids analogies with that
Most x-men villains are pretty much evil geneticists, kinda like Mengele.

And also, you have the soap opera aspect

>And also, you have the soap opera aspect
This is a BIG reason of why the x-men took off. Love triangles, team rivalries and family drama plus the usual superheroics adventures is what made the book stand out.

Doom Patrol villains are one of the best ever.

The Brotherhood of Evil
- The Brain
- Monsieur Mallah
- Madame Rouge
- General Immortus
- Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man
- Phobia

General Zahl

Orqwith
- The Scissormen

The Brotherhood of Dada
- Mr. Nobody
- Quiz
- Number None
- Agent !

Men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E.

Red Jack
The Decreator and The Cult of the Unwritten Book
Codpiece
The Beard Hunter
The Dissapointment, also The Chief

Yeah, it was just Iceman Claremont didn't give a crap about

X-Women took over the world

hot girls

Regular professor x is a sociopath also

He sure didn't. Didn't Claremont write Bobby as a jerk and kind of a racist in one of those Classic X-Men issues?

X-men didn't have a faggot like Beast Boy on it.

In the 90s X-Men show episode where Bobby was a guest character together with the X-Factor, Iceman leaved the X-Men because he wanted to be a normies married to Polaris who in the ends cucks him with Havok.

The X-Men was not a surreal book.

Why was she such a slut?

Any recommended Doom Patrol stories besides Morrison's run?

The Silver Age run
Pollack's run
Giffen's run
The Young Animal book

Thanks m8

husband died we all deal with death differently

>Not really. Claremont brought first Jean and then
yes, he also spent all his time undermining Storm's leadership during Gold, when even Logan had fell in line

ehh it got pretty close at Claremont's wildest
and Excalibur sure as fuck is

Jim Lee when his name on a book sold a million copies

Yeah, but by then they had had lots of non-surreal adventures. DP was weird since day one.

Chris Claremont and John Byrne.

X-Men show that bottom barrel characters can become popular if you try. From selling barely enough to justify reprinting old issues instead of outright cancellation, to worldwide recognition and popularity alongside the biggest comic icons like Batman and Spider-Man.

DC has Jim Lee now, how Marlel lt this happen

Jim Lee clothing designs were a big reason for the X-Men popularity in the early 90s, especially when the cartoon and the Capcom games used the same design and even Jim Lee art as promotionals for X-Men Children of the Atom arcade.

DC literally killed Doom Patrol, dooming them to be cult figures.

Also, Morrison's run is horribly overrated. It tanks when he killed off Brain and Mallah (effectively rendering the Brotherhood of Evil unusable) and more to the point, the plot become overtly incoherent and worthless. The Lodestone is a Magnetic elemental and Chief secretly being evil could have been great but they fucked up big time the arcs with lame as fuck side villains hijacking the plot.

Shut up, Millar.

Literally this. It has the same appeal that Harry Potter does. One day you could suddenly get amazing powers and be whisked away to a magical school where you learn to be a superhero and bang hot redheads.

If you feel alone and different and weird, there's nothing wrong with you, and in fact it makes you a SUPER HERO!

Are you talking shit about the Arnold Drake run of Doom Patrol?

x-men could get very surreal. the Whole Magik in Limbo being corrupted by Belasco, all the body horror sex fetichism, stuff like Inferno and Excalibur. It wasnt only surrealism but it could fall into that.

I almost forget Mojo and Spiral in the surrealism thing.

Whatever it is, considering how the X-men are now, I'm perfectly fine with the Doom Patrol never hitting "MainStream"

For me, the stories good and easy to follow, and there was enough interpersonal relationships going on to keep it interesting, but not overdrama type. The art style was always enjoyable to look at, the byrne art and terry on inks to tighten things up make it a book that still holds up even to this day.
The oher title you should be comparing to is not early doom patrol, but the wolfman/perez teen titans era.
Nowadays though... it seems like the x books are still trying to figure out what they want to be, and titans books... uggggh.

>Not liking Danny the Street, Flex Mentallo, and the Pentagon Enigma
Check this guy out.

Doom Patrol, Legion of Super-Heroes, Teen Titans... how many DC groups got compared to the X-Men but never came close to reach their popularity?

When will Colossus tell Kitty he lost his virginity in a threesome in the Savage Land and got the 2 girls pregnant?

Colossus must have a couple of mutant kids who could join the school at any time

This was such an important element of the X-Men's success, and it had such universal appeal, it spoke to anyone who felt like they didn't fit, for whatever reason.

The more and more the X-Men have doubled-down on making mutants a metaphor for specific minority groups, the more that universal appeal has been lost, and no-one at Marvel seems to even notice this is a problem. Most of the remaining fanbase don't either.

Byrne was pretty good

Legion and Teen Titans competed in the 80s. they just didn't have the longevity.

Colossus is such a whore

Colossus has a son in the Savage Land, but is unaware.

Mutants are now a metaphor for gay Jews thanks to Singer.

bottom left is the last time he was seen, mid 2000s (I think he only appeared here and as a toddler in the late 80s)

looks like a teen, should have mutant powers if he wasnt fucked by Wanda's M Day.

forgot to post the picture

Yep

I mean he had the original 8 cameo here and there, but by the time issue 200 comes around he sends Chuck to space, Jean is dead, Scott is off in Alaska and the others have all fucked off pretty far.

Like even when Jean is around he finds ways to have her fuck off so he can tell his stories and he really only cameos Warren and Hank

Chris Claremont

What was the most iconic Claremont created character? Wolverine and the new X-Men have been created by Len Wein and David Cockrum, the Alpha Flight was a John Byrne invention. I think only Kitty Pryde was totally Claremont.

>Not really. Claremont brought first Jean and then Angel back to the team.
Those were really later decisions. Claremont fully intended Jean's last appearance to be the issue after Giant-Sized X-Men #1, but relented when he realized the character had good chemistry with Scott. Even then she spends pretty large chunks of the series absent, with most of her significant scenes only really being dedicated to either foreshadowing The Dark Phoenix, or building her relationship with Scott. Hell, he even realized how narratively redundant Xavier was eventually, which lead to him spending large chunks of the series either in space fucking his hot Shiar empress wife or in the background.

Warren and Hank I'll give you, but those were more cameo team-ups than anything else.

Mystique, Sabretooth and Kitty

Mystique and Sabretooth didnt debut in x-men comics, Mystique debuted in Ms Marvel and Sabretooth in Iron Fist

>What was the most iconic Claremont created character?
Does the Phoenix count?

he also created the New Mutants
Emma Frost is also a Claremont character

obviously, since he doesnt draw, everything is shared with the artist I think

Jean rejoined the team shortly after Giant Sized. Both Claremont and Cockrum liked the character and intended her to be the X-Men's Thor. Only after Byrne started drawing the pictures she started to be left out of the book because he felt she made the rest of the team redundant. But Claremont was always fond of her.

Hank was an avenger at the time but Claremont still use him everytime he could.

Yeah.

X-men is superhero weirdos. Doom Patrol is weirdo superheroes. Yes, I know it's a simplification.

Rogue, Gambit

Jean was left out because Byrne didn't like the Phoenix. The plan was to have both Jean and Scott married, have a child and retire to be auxiliary members only.

He brought Havok back to the team during the Outback era. So no, Claremont's intention wasn't to get rid of the 60s characters but to rotate the cast as time goes on.

Only Storm and Wolverine stayed on the team during the whole run.

He even thought about doing DP before going for the x men.

Psylocke was also created by Claremont but I think it was Jim Lee redesign that made her popular.

this just made me realize Claremont was a much more honest creator than Bendis. He mainly used and developed toys created by other people, without thinking of royalties.

Bendis is like:
-"Lets create an indian woman scientist who discovered a cure that erases the mutant gene"
-But sir, we already have a character like that, Kavita Rao from Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
-"I don't care"

He created a mutant who can control time called Tempus when we already have a black woman mutant called Tempo that can stop time.
He created Triage even though we already have Elixir and find it hard to use him.

He must think of his creations and his investment for the retirements.
I wonder how much money PAD made for Bendis with all the character development he gave to Layla Miller.

>communist

communism is a stateless society where the workers own the means of production. no such thing as a communist country and after Lenin had instituted state capitalism Stalin just barged in and became a brutal autocrat. not even remotely communist.

see
for storm's hot bod

reaction image fodder

This.

I NEVER understood this guy. He's a pterodactyl mutant power parasite and...so what?

They were the same level of unnoticeable crap until they remade the team entirely in the mid-70's.

So nothing really

>He's a pterodactyl mutant power parasite and...so what?
I don't understand what you're not getting here, since you basically summed up his entire character.

Hot chicks

He's a pterodactyl because making him a bat as originally intended was too close to being a vampire which at he time was a no no for the comics code.

This song may help you figure it out: youtube.com/watch?v=h5EofwRzit0

fuck off with the 'not real communism' bullshit

The original X-Men were a flop. They didn't get popular at all until the Giant Sized reboot.

ME AND MY TEAM GET NO RESPECT
WHAT DID THE X-MEN DO THAT WE NEGLECT
WE PUT ALL OUR FOES IN JAIL
BUT ME AND MY TEAM GET NO RESPECT

What there is to like? They are weird for the sake of being weird. They don't even have a characterization

it's worth noting that at the time, the only successful marvel properties were: FF, Spider-Man, and Thor (when Kirby was doing him). Everyone else sold subpar

Is that Ron Troupe with the camera?

>They didn't get popular until the Paul Smith issues but everyone gives credit to John Byrne.
FTFY

90s babies don't deserve an opinion on what qualifies as hot. This shit is monstrous.

that is true, but Byrne was the turning point.

FUCK you

That and the Doom Patrol is generally treated as being a freak even by cape standards. They've sort of developed their own identities though with X-Men (ostensibly) focusing on cultural and social issues while Doom Patrol you could argue is more about owning being part of the freak show of existence.