So what is this character to DC...

So what is this character to DC? How come they're really trying hard to push this former Titan to the same status as Batman, Wonder Woman etc?

Black guy, and it hasn't been working, thankfully.

GEOFF JOHNS is a Hal Jordan Fanboy
Johns is an executive of warner
Warner wanted John as the green lantern in the 2011 movie
Movie dies
Johns pitches Cyborg as THE minority for the JUSTICE LEAGUE, thinking that having him as a token minority will shield Hal Jordan.

That's it. No one believes he has potential, Johns pitched a lie to Warner, and he still hasnt got his new jl movie due Warner not wanting Hal Jordan so soon.

They needed a black guy on the JL so they booted the Martian who can shapeshift into a black guy with actual powers and opportunities for interesting stories, and then hey replaced him with a black guy who's power is the ability to be tech support.

To be fair Cyborg is a thousand times more interesting than John "muh architecture career" Stewart.

And then he became the League's glorified taxi
People forget he exists almost as badly how people forget J'onn exists
In most League Group Shots, Cyborg's absent

Cyborg was perhaps the most logic choice at the time given his popularity spike thanks to the Teen Titans cartoon. But what DC failed to realize is that Vic here only really worked as a supporting character, and had very little to offer in terms of standalone material. Ever since the start of the New 52, its been a mad dash to get people to care about Cyborg. They couldn't use Steel given his Superman connection, J'onn couldn't shapeshift into a black guy, Mister Terrific didn't work either, and Static had rights issues. Really Vixen would have made a smarter choice, but lacked the recognition

Well she's basically the leader of the JLA now batman aside so that's something

Really wish they would just ditch Cyborg and swap him out with Vixen.
>Wonder Woman is no longer the token chick of the lineup
>Diversity quota met
>Interesting power set
>Has her own environmental priorities like Aquaman
>Flirty personality

When they decided to do it, there was no consideration to character potential or anything like that. It was literally just "who is the most well-known black character we have?" and the answer is unequivocally Cyborg.

Vixen is just an inferior Animal Man

because they keep forgetting they have way more awesome black heroes like Steel, Black Lightning, Static Shock (though I think Static is admittedly in limbo due to copyright issues with his original creator), and John Stewart who could be in the justice league.

Cyborg is good in the titans, if you ask me, teen or not, the story of the titans seems to be one about the heroes within changing and growing together. Cyborg's all about the changes one deals with in life through the lens of a massive shift from man to part machine. but that's just my take on it.

Not denying that, just saying I'd take Vixen on the team over Cyborg any day.

They didn't forget shit, you're ignoring most of the criteria that resulted them not making the cut
>Steel is too Superman heavy
>Black Lightning is a literal who to new audiences
>Geoff Johns wanted Hal over John to be the resident Lantern
And its just fucking Static by the way, no "Shock". Again, Cyborg got in because of Teen Titan nonsense

>So what is this character to DC?
He was Geoff Johns' way to keep his husbando Hal around without WB/DC forcing John Stewart to be the main GL.

>When they decided to do it, there was no consideration to character potential or anything like that. It was literally just "who is the most well-known black character we have?" and the answer is unequivocally Cyborg.

That's not what happened, and not a reality, given your age you are probably giving too much credit to the teen titans show.
It was just Johns Pitching Cyborg, it wasnt about popularity (Warner wanted a black GL), it was Johns protecting Hal Jordan. Johns himself said he was the one pitching the character and convincing WB that Cyborg had movie potential (he didnt, and Warner eventually tried to push cyborg inside the Flash movie).

Don't fool yourself, Cyborg isnt there due how popular teen titans was on one market, cyborg is there because Geoff Johns was afraid Hal Jordam could be replaced.

Johns is also the reason why we'll never get the John Stewart-Guy Gardner buddy space-cop GL movie that would actually be good.

Cyborg may be boring, but he's a small price to pay to keep John "MUHRINES" Stewart out of the spotlight

Geoff pls

Stewart has already been the main lantern in JL animated shit for nearly 2 decades. I'm all for protecting Hal but the writing was basically on the wall.

You know why Cyborg doesn't work? Not just because he's an obvious token character. Not because he has the worst villain lineup of the group. Not because he's been relegated to a support character whose main purpose is teleporting members around.

It's because cyborg is a fucking child compared to the rest of the JL. He doesn't fit into their lineup at all. One second he's a disgruntled high schooler who plays football, the next hes a competent member of the strongest superhero team in the universe and he loses all of his personality traits. He doesn't seem like a real character at all because he shouldn't be able to deal with all the stuff going on around him.

Honestly hes just a shit character for the JL, and they rarely do his design any justice. His live-action design is terrible. I'll concede that it looks okay in the recent Teen Titans movies though.

I agree the push sucks but his recent ongoing is great and i liked him in metal so far

Why are YOU typing like THIS?

Bummer.

The alternative was with Guy and John training Kyle. Unknown villian beind defeated by a "Fallen Lantern".

Johns probably was against that too.

Fuck i really want Guy, but it's impossible.

>Villain lineup
Can you really call it a lineup? It's basically only Grid

He desperately needs a magic villain

He got one in Rebirth

If any of the Metal Batmen survive I'm hoping Murder Machine is one of them, just so Cyborg's villain roster can expand beyond one

Grid is boring af too tbqh. Cyborgs best villains are all Titans-related. And of those villains, Robin and Raven are much more important.

JL needed a black guy because the main crew is all white people. Also Cyborg has been too old for the teen titans for decades now. Also he's got a color scheme and power set that isn't otherwise covered by the rest of the league. He fits, he just needs writers to actually build his books into something unique.

Movie synergy, pretty much.
Flashpoint happened so DC could have a revised, cinematic aesthetic with the unified trades and hardcover collections being perfect, 6-issue stories ripe for movie execs.

Lobo, Suicide Squad, Captain Marvel, Justice League, The Flash, and a bunch of others got pre-emptive movie synergy in the hopes that it'd make them more appealing to moviegoers and WB suits.

Knowing that the New 52 League is what the movies would be based on, Geoff fought tooth and nail to keep Hal in it. The team needed a diversity character though, which is how you got Cyborg. Martian Manhunter is for virgins, according to David Goyer. So he got axed.

I can see him have a place in on the team, because:
Superman: Main leader, connection to space stuff
Batman: the serious guy, connection to street level stuff, and money
Wonder Woman: the girl, connection to the gods
Green Lantern: thickheaded cop guy, connection to the lanterns
The Flash: connection to the speed force, and thus connected to the multiverse and time travel
Aquaman: (honestly he doesn't need to be here)
Cyborg: young hero, connection to higher end tech stuff normally out of Bruce's reach. Him also having a connection to apokolips is a bonus
but yeah they always need a black guy, cause you know

If they were gonna use this much CG on a character, why not just use Manhunter?

but with all that considered Wally works better as the young hero and John works better as the black hero

Aquaman brings a fantasy world that's not always explicitly mythology like WW does, and being "boisterous bruiser" when done right vs Batman's Stoic, Superman's Everydude, Flash's Nerd, WW's Girl, and Lantern's Thickhead.

Yeah well Geoff only wants Hal as the GL in the group and Wally isn't in because reasons.

Didn't kmow that. Fuck Geoff Johns.

Because

1. Token

2. Johns wanted Hal on the team instead of Jon as the token lantern.

3. He was on the old old Superfriends cartoon during the season where they fought Darkseid.

That being said I've started to like Cyborg after Metal. I like the idea of Coach Cyborg being the team tactician. The League should have a tactician that's warmer than Batman and sees the team members as individuals and not chess pieces, and it frees Batman up to to do what he does best as the team's ace in the shadows.

I had an idea for a Cyborg villain; Victor himself, or rather, the original Victor. Picture this; what if Vic really did die before his transformation? What if he's really just a machine that thinks he is Victor Stone? A pissed off, half spectral Victor who hates this abomination of flesh and steel that claims to be him.

Justice League needs a token Black
Black Lightning requires paying royalties
J'onn is a Green dude who pretends to be Black
Mr. Terrific needs a legacy to work well and competes with Batman as the team smart guy
Geoff Johns doesn't want John Stewart on the Justice League
Steel is Iron Man: Superman edition
Vixen could get called racist
Static is in rights limbo
Cyborg just kinda won the spot by default

>Iron Man becomes a huge success after the movies
>DC suddenly remember that they have a guy like Iron Man and decide to shill him as much as possible

If they want racial diversity why not pic related? Much better choice: he can cover tech, adds a cool sentai type to the team, and actually has tons of personality. It wouldn't matter if he's a literal who to normies because he's instantly lovable.

How is Vixen racist?

i'm so fucking mad right now because you're right, Jaime does everything they want Cyborg to do but it's a better fit for both characters.

Where do Hawkgirl/Hawkman fit?

I'm not really sure why they stuck with them for so long in the animated JLs, only to drop them so quickly.

He has actually very interesting flexible powers, especially given times we living right now. Plus he is Transformer-esque although nigro so chinks not That hungry for him.
But he has good story behind and a good opportunity to finally do non-pathetic non-comic relief non-nigger black guy. Plus he has issues with being revived which perfectly tights with Superman's arc. I genuinely laughed (it is when you laughing from a pure uplifting joy), when Cyborg said "I want to live".
Warner Bros. just need to pull their shit together and do Cyborg solo from his point of view as an existential mess that striving to light of a balance between human flesh and extraterrestrial biomechatronic bodyparts with it's ups and downs. It will be kíno and another Oscar. And it can really tackle Black Panther we wuz kangs the fuck out. But first we need kill Tzujihara

Cyborg does have a niche to occupy on the league and an interesting power set. He does have a place, and I think Metal was the shot in the arm he needed.

Given how every day our real world turns us more and more into borg a cyborg hero fighting to hold onto his humanity has more cultural resonance than its ever had.

Something I liked in his live action version that I always found stupid in the TT cartoon is that he actually has the power of flight here, I mean, how the fuck a character with all kinds of tech power can't fucking fly?

Really would sell the rookie thing, plus Jaime would have better chemistry with Billy Batson

reading the most recent issue of his ongoing + Bats Out of Hell has made me a Cyborg fan

i think someone already posted Cyborg One Million itt so i wont do it again

Yes.

>Martian Manhunter is for virgins, according to David Goyer.
Fuck you, Goyer

Why don't they want Wally?

He was so shit compared to Barry and Bart in Young Justice. And oddly enough they have Wally appear in the current DC animated film universe as Kid Flash in a flashback scene (Teen Titans: The Judas Contract) but in every other DCAFU movie the Flash is listed as Barry Allen. So what the fuck is Wally doing? Dick is old enough to be Nightwing in the DCAFU, there's almost no chance that Wally is still going around as Kid Flash.

Where the fuck did this story fucking come from? When Nu52 was announced they were open about wanting a diversity slot with Cyborg being decided on due to being their most recognizable black character. No one was actually even listening to John's at that point. They rejected all his notes on GL. WB had already settled on Hal because he was a fighter pilot.

He really should be top tier in terms of power levels. He's bonded to a mother box. That's at the very least equal to being bonded to a lantern ring.

The problem is Cyborg didn't really have a lot of feats where he got to be cool and badass. People bitched about Cyborg being shilled in Metal but if you want him not to be the lame as fuck token you need to have him pull his weight and get some feats under his belt.

>Goyer wrote JSA along with Johns featuring obscure golden age characters and the guys carrying on their legacy
>Wrote an entire issue where Wildcat the boxer furry solos the Injustice Gang

Goyer is one to talk.

Hawkgirl was the fiery girl where wonder woman was the team mom
Hawkmam works better as an alternative hero like Green Arrow. Since he fits the role as both the space cop and stoic guy

Black woman who wears little clothing and has animal-based powers. CW proved normies don't mind it but back when nu52 was a thing she was probably viewed as a risky choice.

virgin Manhunter vs CHADBORG (((Boo-ya, wow!)))

>space cop and stoic guy
But not as thickheaded or a street hero

cool

in a nuthshell, no one is China is going to run out to see Nigger Iron man.

US's progressive shoehorning of blacks into everything has its limits. You can shoehorn a black Deadshot or Star Wars main char. but its just too much here. in addition to that Cyborg is too weak of a character to carry an entire movie, the JL version was so bland, brooding, im so serious etc. etc. zero personality.

He wouldn't count.

Don't you know?
Diversity only means black.

Vixen used to get shit from time to time for being tied to Africa so heavily but the funny thing is now that's considered a good thing. I still think she would have been the best potential Manhunter replacement. She's essentially a blankslate with really interesting powers and a lot of potential. Cyborg has that to a degree but ultimately he's a Titan. No one will ever truly see him as anything else.

Black Lightning was second best due to his unique family situation. It separated and made him unique compared to the other leaguers.

Manhunter did that pretty well in the JL show.

So Robin doesn't feel even more worthless because no flight and no powers. 3/5 of the team can already fly.

They just changed up the line-up. Give today's technology, his abilities have become more useful.

You guys are too insecure if you're thinking this is a racial thing, try not being betas every once and a while.

BB has much less flight stamina than starfire and raven tho

League tacticians:

Batman, Mr. Terrific (show), Coachborg, Oracle, Martian Manhunter (Show. He had everyone patched into a telepathic network in Morrisons run but he wasn't really the planner, especially not next to Batman at peak Batgod)

I'm surprised Wonder Woman has never had a turn as the team's tact.

This board has become so pathetic

Except it literally was a diversity mandate by DC because they needed a token black guy.

Snyder let her shine in that role for a good 5 minutes.

>They couldn't use Steel given his Superman connection
What the fuck is that suppose to mean? Steel is litterally created as a character to follow up on The Death Of Superman. If he doesn't get to be used after BvS, when the fuck is he suppose to be? And he isn't Kryptonian, so I don't understand why you think he can't be used. He is meant to represent those who genuinely look up to Superman as an inspiration, and if Snyder hadn't being against Superheroes existing Steel would have been the right man for the right job at the right time.

But its true. Like it or not, they added cyborg and black panther not because they're that popular (they're c-tier at best, no normie has heard of them) but because they want to increase the demographics the movies appeal to.

Should have added Black Green Lantern.

He wasn't even chosen by Johns. The league was chosen by higher execs based on recognizablity.

And before someone says muh cartoon Hal had just had the best selling comic at DC at the time. Sales were going down but they were still high. Johns didn't need to protective him no one was going to touch Hal.

You can say Panther is C-list but Cyborg had a huge push from the Titans cartoons. He's B-list.

They own the rights to him, he's extremely well-known, he's not a legacy or sidekick, he's been around for a long time and deserved a promotion, and Johns pushed him. That's it. I don't have a problem with Cyborg being on the team, but once they decided to do it why the fuck didn't they set up a solo series to flesh out his personality, supporting cast, and rogues gallery? Instead Johns did fuck all with him and DC made it painfully obvious he was just a token.

It should be Vixen or Mr. Terrific. A lot of black dudes are pissed that the only black JL member has no dick and DC hasn't bothered to correct that belief even though he got his dick back recently.

You do know that the justice league lineup has been changing since the 60's right?

Nah. The Wolfman 4 are B list when it comes to comics but outside they're A list. They're some of DCs most recognizable characters.

Yeah but you're never getting Animal Man on the JL so who cares? At least Vixen is more than the fucking taxi driver.

Steel is very much a part of the Superman Family and DC naturally wants a balanced Justice League lineup. It'd be like having both Barry and Wally on the team, or Both Batman and Nightwing. I love Steel but I wouldnt want him has a founding league member

He needs to be black. Hispanics just aren't diverse enough for American audiences.

Also I don't know how well Jaime does in regards to tech. He's not exactly a genius, his shit just works because the beetle makes it happen. Cyborg is smart regarding tech because he's literally half machine; he's tech savvy because he is a walking piece of tech.

I liked Anomaly and Exxy Cyborgs hacker friend was hilarious. But now his solo is cancelled so I doubt they'll ever get used again.

But he does have a solo book.

>Mr. Terrific

No. He's always been a JSA boy. It wouldn't be right for him to jump ship anymore than Sand or Hourman.

>Vixen

Vixen sucks. She shouldn't be any team. Her powers suck, her model background sucks, everything about her sucks. She's like DC's Tigra.

Less points, maybe. Black always scores most points but you could have Jaime plus some asian like Dr. Light or Atom in there. It could work.

>he thinks Vixen sucks
>he thinks Tigra sucks
How can one man have so much shit taste?

>Vixen sucks
Says the fag with no taste. She's no Animal Man, but certainly no slouch either. Let me guess, you like Beast Boy?

Static is getting a new book next year. I hope his new book is so successful DC starts pushing him as their main black instead of Cyborg.

So what every happened to them? Specifically Hawkgirl. She was a staple hero for a while, and suddenly when Nu52 happened she stopped showing up in all the animated adaptations. As far as I know she hasn't appeared in any of the DCAFU movies and she only appears once in the YJ continuity (Independence Day, the TV movie that prefaced the series).

They're in Metal

>People bitched about Cyborg being shilled in Metal
Those people are retarded. Cyborg did jack fucking shit for five fucking years. For five years he sat on the Watchtower and did whatever Batman told him to do. He didn't even get his fucking penis back until DC You. It's about fucking time he got to do something cool, because Johns sure as fuck wasn't going to let him do something cool.

Hakwgirl was in Earth 2 during the new 52.

That will never happen. The last writer that tried to make him like that got screwed over by the editor and the artist. Plus he will be written by Hudlin so enjoy that.

Retards blaming Johns for everything. It's his fault Cyborg didn't do anything for his New 52 JL run but that's it. I seriously doubt Johns chose to make Vic join the League and if he did he would have tried to do something with him.

Why do whitebois like static so much? Black lightning has the exact same powers and is more interesting. Plus you'd still complain about a kid being part of the main JL roster and say he was shoe horned in cause he was black anyway

>But he does have a solo book.
That's flopped because Cyborg can't carry anything on his own.
>He's always been a JSA boy
So? Cyborg has always been a Titan, he should stay there.

His current iterations are a lot more powerful than his TT version. He was just another cyborg in TT, right? Now he's connected to one of the strongest pieces of tech in the universe.

He can't stand on his own, he's too tied to Superman. Nothing wrong with that, I like Steel myself, but there's a reason Black Panther is getting so popular. He's not a Legacy or tied to another hero.

Maybe not Black Panther but you're dead wrong about Cyborg. The Teen Titans cartoon was more popular than the JL cartoon. He's B-tier in terms of normie awareness and the push he's gotten in recent years has solidified that.

Cyborg just read like a character forced on Johns. Like he admitted to not knowing much about Wonder Woman but he still tried to have her do shit and then gave her her own arc. Cyborg had a few shitty Grid tiein issues and that's it.