Thoughts on the red sky seasons of TMNT?

Thoughts on the red sky seasons of TMNT?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B-EvUTKa9d0
youtube.com/watch?v=yyfGdB7sPWo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The what?

the sky was fucking red

Not a fan. The reason why the first few seasons were great was because of how silly and campy they were. If you take that away you just have a generic kids action cartoon.

It was pretty damn good when it wasn't focusing on shitty OC humans

Even darker and edgier than the typical 2003 cartoon.

Sadly it suffers a lot of >not MUH from both goofy early season fans and from 2003 fans

didn't even matter really. Most that grew up at that time didn't even know those seasons existed because Power Rangers and X-men were crushing them. Seems poetic however since that Turtles had the same impact on a lot of the big 80s cartoons at the time.

This was m favourite cartoon when I was a kid, and I owned multiple vhs cassettes of it, and this is the first time I'm hearing of these red sky seasons.

I've watched some episodes from them recently. The big issue with them is that in spite of attempting to be more serious, the action is really weak.

They try to make Shredder seem like a real villain after making him a clown for so long, but his battle with the turtles just ends up involving them clashing weapons without any speed while barely moving. Even 90s Spider-man and X-Men showed more agility and movement than the characters here. That's probably why these episodes ended up entirely forgotten.

>You... You... Double mutant

That would be because they came out when Power Rangers was destroying the market. I only know of it because of one board day I tried to watch two stations on two TVs. Red sky seasons were airing when Power Rangers and X-men aired. I watch the premier of season 9 when Lord Dredd showed up, found the kid sidekick that went yellow Hulk very fucking stupid.

Whenever I find myself thinking back to the old Turtles show, these are usually the seasons I think back to the most. I honestly think it managed to balance a darker tone with the same dumb jokes of the previous seasons, without going into the overly camp stupidity that, while it had its charm, was starting to get old at that point.
I also think the turtles themselves were at their best in these seasons in terms of their character, and I don't care what people say, Dregg was a genuinely cool villain, and the mutation arc was interesting, if a bit botched. The seasons weren't flawless, as other anons pointed out already. The new humans were garbage, April and the Channel 5 crew simply vanished after one season despite the teasing of an interesting plot of Channel 5 now going full J. Jonah Jameson on the turtles, and the animation was still horribly cheap.
All in all, I think the seasons were a step in the right direction if that wanted to keep the show running for longer, but it with stories constantly being dropped and the cheap animation, it simply did too little too late, and failed to grab a new audience.

I want to know how one mutates a robotic arm. As a kid that drove me nuts that he would change into a mutant and he grow this robot arm with sfx and all.

There was no way they were getting that old audience back. With Power Rangers taking kids by storm and the way TV aired back then they were dead in the water. But like that one user pointed out it was a neat repeat of history because He-man, Gijoe and Transformers all got a serious facelift/change of tone in hopes to combat the Turtles and failed just as hard.

I never heard of these later grungier seasons of Ninja Turtles, the whole toyline and cartoon seem to have disappeared from Australia after about 1992 or 93 with no cartoon being broadcast :\
Didn't see it again til that awful Fox/Saben series

actually, come to think of, I think I once saw those Farmer Turtle figures at a Toys R Us and thinking "lolwut"
They were also stocking Robotech toys too

yo they look ugly as FUCK

Yeah, definitely. The old audience had left, and it would have taken a miracle to bring them back. Retooling your show to be far less cheesy in the hopes of attracting a newer audience that might be intrigued with a darker setting, or just a darker look to a show they've heard as being nothing but silly kids' stuff isn't a bad plan anyway, it just bombed.
I still feel a little disappointed it didn't work but Saturday morning TV was a cutthroat business, man.

ah yes, Next Mutation, with female member, Space Dragons and Chinese Vampires.

dont forget Mobster Yetis

It's crazy to think all the Cartoons that lived and died in the span of 1982 to 1998. I did the math once and all the shows that aired in the last decade make up less than 1/5th what was released just between 82 and 85.

What is this and why have I never heard of it? was it a special or a limited series of sorts?

Is this like Green shirt Shaggy vs Red shirt Shaggy?

>th sfx and all.
What. How. Where? Where the fuck are all these in-between shows coming from? I only knew of the 80s He-Man and 2000s He-Man.

ITTY BITTY TURTLE TITTY

Yep. The mid 80s to the late 90's were the beest. There was just so much stuff made during that time. If you had an interest in pursuing a career in working in animation, you had work. It was a golden age.

And BoneSteel the crazy hobo turn bounty hunter, played by Scott McNeil.

It was the final 3 seasons of the 1987 series

They got infected with super mutagen and could change into super Ninja Turtles. They looked like this with angry eyes all the time.

No it was just three seasons of a dying show. You likely never saw it because both Power Rangers and X-men were kicking the shit out of everything at the time.

youtube.com/watch?v=B-EvUTKa9d0

Also, the reworked theme song was better than the original. Don't get me wrong, the original is still great, but this one is is just better.

Japan played up double mutations better.

It's rather insane how this is starting to sound like a reoccurring cast you expect on Regular Show.

true dat.

Well that He-Man came out in 1990 and wasn't shown for very long. The toyline failed and was reused for the Demolition Man toyline in 1993.

>They got infected with super mutagen and could change into super Ninja Turtles. They looked like this with angry eyes all the time.
You mean they actually look like they always do in promo art? The turtles have always looked pissed since conception. They're supposed to be badasses, not clowns.

>Leo, raph and mikey crossing arms like they're tough shit
>donnie just posing like a model in the back not giving a fuck

When Turtles was king many shows tried to beat it out of it's airtime, new adventures of Heman was one of them and it got awful ratings because of it. Shame too because it had one of the most bad ass version of Skeletor to date.
>"Do you really think I trust you Skeletor?"
>"No, but I expected you to stop and gloat how smart you were."

I don't think they even aired these in my corner of Eastern Europe. I was surprised when years later the Internet told me they existed. I watched one episode on early YouTube and I remember thinking it was all right, but I didn't like it enough to keep watching. My favorite dark, but not too dark, version of the Turtles comes from the Archie comic around the time when the shark dude showed up.

Well he was gay as spring time in the Jap dub.

Stop using "OC" to describe canon characters.

New Adventures Skelly was a happy Spooky.
youtube.com/watch?v=yyfGdB7sPWo

Stupid screentime stealing one-shot characters. We'll call them stupid OS characters.

it was interesting to see skeletor manipulating flogg instead of just assuming the mantle of leader iirc (not sure if he still pretended when he got that upgrade).

shows how devious he is (not so much in intellligence since flogg's not exactly the smartest guy).

He's always gay, and I mean that in the nicest way

you realize you could call Krang an OC character?

He did out play the heroes that came to the past however, he actually had everyone thinking he was He-man at the start of the show. That said the future people seemed dumb too...

I think all cartoons should have red skies desu
They look badass

I like how every TMNT cartoon goes on for too long and has at least one tacked on season at the end

Did the 2012 series have one?

Same thing in BtAS.

Why though?

it means serious shit

blue skies are for pussies

implies a darker tone.

Curiously attractive for turtlemen

back to the sewers gets too much shit, IMO
after fast forward, it was a breath of fresh air to go back to the roots of the 2003 show (sort of)

I recently stumbled upon this show on youtube and ended up watching the whole thing. I'm surprised how watchable it is even if most of it is because of Skeletor's bantz

also we got turtles forever which is an awesome finale unless you're a butthurt 80's fag

>the universe is accidentally saved by bebop and rocksteady

>awesome finale
>Basically just jerks off the 2003 turtles
It was terrible.

But I'm an 80's fag and I loved Turtles Forever. I just don't take Ninja Turtles the least bit seriously and understand that it's all just hokey shit. Same as any other sane individual who still watches cartoons in his '30s.

Yeah, though Tales of the TMNT is pretty good.

He may have been written well but that is one of the worst Skeletor designs I have ever seen. I'm not even "not muh-ing" since I never really grew up with old He-Man, but goddamn that looks terrible. It's weird to think that an 80's cartoon had designs that aged better than 90's cartoons.

skeletor on crystal meth

confirmed for not watching it, then

You're right. the color combination alone is all messed up.
Classic skeletor is aesthetic as fuck

Was this voice acting done in Malaysia?

Classic Skeletor appearance with New Adventures Skeletor bantz would have been perfect, IMO.

Lots of shows do. Show is in talks to get cancelled, fans outcry, network manages to negotiate one last season with the character's contracts. Sometimes you manage to get two seasons, or a main character isn't interested in renewing so there's a fresh OC (Stargate).

From the little I saw of him his voice, dialogue and expressions are very laidback, extroverted and smart. He only imposes as a tyrant when he needs to.

I remember liking the kid who could transform into a cool badass warrior, in a wish fulfillment kind of way.

Skeletor 2024

bump

Skeletor was great in that show. You really got that feeling if He-Man and Skeletor's battle being bigger than the human/mutant war.

Why was there weird fetish shit like tickling in the original TMNT?

I've been enjoying the hell out of TMNT 2k3; which season of that series should I skip?

Final Crisis

It was a more innocent time; some of the writers or producers probably had it and nobody questioned it because "who would get turned on by tickling?".

I know I do.

Long story short, they made the show go from light brown shit to near black shit, it was still shit even if it seemed very different.

The show had problems from the very start. Choppy animation, baffling sound design, plotholes, pacing issues, generic formulas and just plain unfunny comedy. Most of these problems didn't go away, they just gave the show a new coat of paint. The only reason anyone cared either way was because they either liked or didn't like the old coat of paint.

But green skies are far more menacing.

>Classic Skeletor appearance with New Adventures Skeletor bantz would have been perfect, IMO.
2000 Skeletor?

Did you get it from cartoons?

I think I might have. I also tried it out in real life as a kid.

What about purple skies?

Comfy as fuck desu

what the shit, that skeletor sucks

They should have just tried a new TMNT cartoon instead of awkwardly trying to force the dark-and-edgy fad into a show that had been well-established as being anything but.

I see where Michael Bay got his inspiration.

its probably more because it was terrible and poorly written like the previous seasons, but now without bright visuals to distract you

This is definitely where my fetish came from

Those turtles are hot. I'd fuck them.

I love how campy the crossover with Teenage Mutant Nickelodeon Turtles was.

>I've been enjoying the hell out of TMNT 2k3; which season of that series should I skip?

Seasons 1-5 are what you should watch; tells a complete story and ties everything up at the end. Season 5 is a dip in quality and starts getting gimmicky, but it at least carries on the narrative from the first 4 seasons and has an ending that completes its story line.

Season 6 (Fast Forward) is where it all goes to shit; they change the art style and move everything to the future and it feels disconnected from the first 5 seasons. The storyline was setup for 2 seasons, but they cancelled it after 1, so none of the plot lines have a conclusion and everything is left dangling.

Season 7 (Back to the Sewers) is in the same boat. They changed the art style again, created a new storyline that they plotted for 2 seasons but only produced 1, so none of the plot threads get concluded and everything is left dangling. The idea of "getting the show back to its roots" is crap, because the season takes place mostly in cyber space and feels just as much sci-fi and futuristic as Fast Forward.

Just watch seasons 1-5 then skip to Turtles Forever. Aside from the shift in art style, you won't miss anything.

Not a fan of the new mutations.

That was likely the point of it all. That's why both Power Rangers and Xmen were killing them in ratings. The idea you would turn out to be super special person with super powers would make most 10 year olds smile.

There was a lot less over head in the 80s and early 90s when it came to want you could show on TV. It has changed quite a bit.

TMNT did it because BTAS did. The show had been declining in ratings, so they desperately tried to chase after what was hot at the time, which was the new wave of grittier action cartoons.

name one cartoon with a menacing green sky

ONE

was this in widescreen? how come the girl's feet are cropped off-screen and we're left with the boy's feet?
were the animators fucking shotafags?

Motherfucker, for that we would have to woodlands/swamps horror animation or horror animation being alive in general.

*would have to have

>that scene in 2012 TMNT where Mikey was doing the elevator bit from the Bay movie and they tell him to stop

It was pretty all over the place in terms of quality, but that show had its moments.

I thought so as a kid, then I rewatched it as an adult and realized I just thought that because it used clips from the 1990 movie, which was a pretty clever bit of visual shorthand for "Hey kids, it's darker and more serious, like that movie you like!" Deliberately not using footage from the sequels, which were ironically goofier and cartoonier.

But that 90s guitar can't save the terrible vocals. 90s Spidey's theme has the same problem.