Were his actions justified?

Were his actions justified?

Considering the good would most likely be undone, and it was undone in Doomsday Clock would have to go with no. People are too unstable for his plan to function and he is just one man.

Do not count clock in the equation please, that shit is fanfiction

No.

If you're a cynic, yes, because the world is a shithole and would inevitably destroy itself unless someone intelligent enough to see the big picture fixes it

If you're an idealist, no, because people are basically good and want to protect those they love, and treating millions of people like pawns on a chess board that you can sacrifice for the good of the bishops, knights and kings makes you no better than a warmonger

Oh fuck off.

He took the smartest man in the world bit too seriously and even regrets doing it almost immediately after what he did sets in, no.

Is any action truly justified

It's still a dumb plan.

Let’s stay on topic.

But if you are a idealist, you would let good people suffer by the choices of their leaders?

How did it take me this long to notice that panel is another clock.

An idealist would find a better way

fuck

Of course

>sacrifice for the good of the bishops, knights and kings makes you no better than a warmonger
He sacrified all of them together, for the sake of the pawns.

in the book, the world is unequivocally stated to be on the brink of nuclear annihilation. In the last chapter, it says in no uncertain terms that Ozzy's plan staved that off. Discounting Rorsharch's journal (which has no details about the larger plot, Rorsharch only thought Ozzy was killing super heroes, and the public hates super heroes anyway) and whatever EU bullshit they're playing with now, Adrian's plan works in the short term. Even if he just buys the world about 30 or 40 years, he only sacrificed a fraction of a percentage of the earth's populace to do it, and he picked New York, which sucks, so that was a good call too.

>that panel is another clock.
Fuck me. I should read this again,

That's the point.

He didn't stop the clock, he just set it back a few minutes

I fucking love Dave Gibbons

Gibbons art is really the only part that elevates the whole thing above being just a good cape comic

Why do people hate Cooke's Minutemen?

Also, Silk Spectre was shit, don't know why people say it's as good.

Minutemen was the best of the Before books.

how many clock symbols are there in Watchmen?

Too many to count. It's a symbol that repeats again and again to remind you that time is ticking down to doomsday.

>banking on the inherent goodness of man trumping their innate need to maintain an "other" to fight against
>by making up a whole new "other" for everyone to be scared of
>thinking a foundation of fear/anxiety is a good idea for any sociopolitical ideal

It's literally Moving the Goalpost: The Manifesto. Making everyone get along by dangling a new threat above their heads will unite people for like, a year, tops.

Remember how united America was just after 9/11? How long did that last?

Who did the least wrong?

Dollar Bill

Honestly? Rorschach. Right until the end he was honest and demanded that everyone else be honest, even if it would reveal them as ugly people, and refused to accept a grave injustice just because "it might help in the long run".

His name is fucking Ozymandias, of course not. He put a bandage on a ruptured spleen.

Did he even put a bandage on it though? The nukes and the hatred are still there at the end of Watchmen. He cut off a limb to distract you from the ruptured spleen.

No they were incredibly short sightedd and egotistical.
>"Nothing ever ends"
Now I wonder how Watchmen would turn out if the world had proper Supervillains. Would a Vandals Savage or a Doctor Doom try to stop Ozy or just position themselves to profit off his plan?

>cynyc and idealistic are the only options for this brainlet board.

This, if you can consider hurting and murdering criminals as 'not entirely wrong'.

Which is fine with me.

His actions were justified, but ultimately pointless. People are dumb scum. Still, I commend him for trying.

Manhattan criticising him is a joke though. The one person who *could* actually permanently change things chooses not to, and then slams someone else who tried? Screw you, Manhattan.

Bubastis. All she wanted was to love her master ;_;

If I was Dr. Manhattan I would have fucked him and his cat while broadcasting on every television.

Alternatively you could take the fatalistic option, which says if humanity destroys itself, it will be because it's inherently in their nature to eventually self-destruct.

Or you know... Actually take the idiologies of the characters?

Utilitarianism in this particular case.

No wonder so many people liked doomsday clock...

Ozymandias would have to become president and make Roschach II his VP just to cover his tracks in Doomsday Clock in order to prevent the plan from the original comic from being leaked. It's that, or pay bribe the President to look the other way.

I gave two broad perspectives and made no indication that those were the only ones. Stop trying to look smart.

>Roschach II his VP
>a Rorschach as VP

That is actually scary.

What is his position on possible homosexuals?

See, I'm not sure about that. Because OG Rorschach he must have known about Nelson/Hooded Justice.

Maybe he just wanted to know who he should avoid shaking hands with so he doesn't catch the gay himself.

I can't imagine bribing president Nixon to be difficult.

He may have already caught it. He held hands a little too long with Nite Owl.

Robert Redford is president by the time Doomsday Clock happened. They tried to make it Trump, but I can't wrap my head around Pence shooting Session and Nentenyahu unless God told him to.

That could be boiled down to him being shit with people.

OH
MY
GOD

Nuke it all!

Justified? Perhaps. But this doesn't make them any less evil

I really liked SS's before, but mostly because I really loved the idea of a hippy commune superhero. Also the ending is quite possibly the only comic book moment that made me legitimately fucking sad, at least that much. Comedian is a fucking asshole

I hated how they shat on Metropolis and Hooded Justice. Mostly on Metropolis, they made him really awful. I'm fine with showing some character flaws, but it was lazy writing.

I think that these pages in the end of every issue unequivocally show that in the writers' mind, Veidt's plan was not justified. It's a countdown to a tragedy, but that tragedy is not nuclear holocaust: it's Veidt's plan for new York. By the end of issue 12, that tragedy has already occurred.

Fucking hell.