C. B. Cebulski: Ultimate Weeb?

David Brothers tweets:

>Hey comics journo friends: we should definitely be asking Marvel and new EiC CB Cebulski on why he chose to use the pen name Akira Yoshida in the early 2000s to write a bunch of "Japanese-y" books for them.

twitter.com/hermanos/status/934957530765078529

This helps explain the interesting story here, start at 7:30 or so:

stuffsaidshow.com/stuff-said-064-the-names-have-been-changed/

A quick cheat sheet for you on the people involved:

CJ Cregg - CB Cebulski
Leo - Tom Brevoort
Glenn - Bill Jemas
Jed Barlett - Joe Quesada
Toby - Mike Marts
Josh - Gregg Schigiel
Donna - Mackenzie Cadenhead
Will - John Barber

Current BC coverage: archive.is/zEh56

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2014/06/05/cb-cebulski-to-quit-marvel-publishing/
cbr.com/akira-yoshida-a-bullet-for-marvels-young-guns/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Hey comics journo friends: we should definitely be asking Marvel and new EiC CB Cebulski on why he chose to use the pen name Akira Yoshida in the early 2000s to write a bunch of "Japanese-y" books for them.
Oh we can sick tumblr on them like a hound after a fox

>we should definitely be asking Marvel and new EiC CB Cebulski on why he chose to use the pen name Akira Yoshida
I fail to see any kind of problem or """"controversy"""" here. Explain pls

Among other things, he used this totally fake persona with this whole ~story~ about bringing a JP perspective to capeshit to get around the prohibition on both being an editor and writing for Marvel at the same time and gamed the system into writing jobs that way.

when Marvel tried to do their Manga line, they hired a long time Marvel employee and had him write under a pen name rather than go more authentic and hire an actual Mangaka

I assume its some sort of cultural appropriation controversy

Who cares. The marvel weeb initiation will arrive.

Yeah this is bullshit but we'll never see punishment or consequences from it. how shitty is it that i'm glad it was just stealing a couple of jobs and not assaulting anyone

That's scummy but honestly feels very minor among what we're usually served as contoversies these past couple of years

Borderline non-issue

Is that really it?

If you listen to the podcast (I know, tl;dr) the story gets more tangled with respect to lying to people and reportedly passing on the personal info of freelancers

Not really. Cebulski was editorial in the Marvel Manga line, right? And Marvel editors were not supposed to be writers by company policy.

So what Cebulski actually did is impersonate a freelancer from Japan, who he was the contact for, and give himself writing gigs/pitches for the region he was responsible for.

The actual comics are also hilariously weeb, so there totally is a "publish under this name to not seem inauthentic" line to it and if was only that, whatever. But he absolutely took advantage of the system to get himself writing credits and cash over genuine freelancers.

Also, if you read the Bleeding Cool article that originally broke this back in August - Cebulski is probably Rich's Marvel source.

Ghost Rider Manga is a legitimate classic, bring it back Cebulski

So it's basically a new form of the writer/editor scam. Jim Shooter is rolling in his crypt.

Jim shooter and Tom deflaco both wrote and edit at the same time and many more did too.

Fakes names are also nothing new and died out years ago.

If I wasn't in my cert class I'd listen to this now, it's super interesting

Jim Shooter isn't dead mate.

Yeah but he's probably living in a crypt anyway

Are you literally Cebulski mate? Why are you pulling this much damage control for what was clearly one editor's manipulation of Marvel's system & policy for personal gain, at the expense of others?

Writing and editing at the same time aren't a problem. Writing and editing at the same time under a pseudonym aren't a problem. Impersonating a fake "authentic Japanese person" for "authentic Marvel Manga comics" when you are the Asia contact editor for Marvel in order to make yourself secret $$$ on the side to the detriment of genuine writers pitching kind of is. Especially when you become editor-in-chief later, kek.

I'm not even getting into this shit which is shady even on a corporate level.

Time to commit seppuku.

It had to come out eventually, C.B.

My fave part of this is how C.B. looks just like one of these hopeless katana-collecting fatasses you get.

So many BC articles are top kek now if you assume CB has been Rich's guy there. Like...

bleedingcool.com/2014/06/05/cb-cebulski-to-quit-marvel-publishing/

Holy shit he slashed it so fast it won't even fall apart for another ten seconds

also there was a rule that they COULDN'T Freelance and be an editor.

>Writing and editing at the same time aren't a problem.
Actually YES this is against Marvel policy and was part of a whole deal with Tom DeFalco/Bob Harras in the '90s that caused major problems. That's why this was done originally.

bring back DeFalco

Even Tom would say that's a bad idea

>Cebulski is such a weeaboo he has a Japsona
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

>>Hey comics journo friends: My name is David Brothers and I don't really have a career in comics even though I've tried to have one for over a decade now. So I was thinking that maybe we could pretend to be journalists and "break" a race-oriented "story"? Because even though I'm black, probably we could fool a bunch of white idiots into thinking that because I'm non-white I should have final say-so on who can use a Japanese penname. Let's attack some white guy at Marvel who's never done anything to anyone, even though most of the POC comic "creators" on Twitter are actively racist against white people everyday. Sound good?

Has Marvel always had that policy?

Yeah remember the really "terrible" days in the late '90s when the biggest problem in Marvel's creativity department was a conflict of interest between Tom DeFalco and Bob Harras writing some comics even though they were editing others?

Remember when the faintest cry of "Bob writes Avengers but edits X-Men?" amounted to a major problem.

Fuck off, Rich.

to write, not edit

>David Brothers
this name is really pulling some strings but I can't place it

He works for Image in their marketing department, you stupid ignorant dumbass.

It was actually BC that broke this story, although it seems to have been a weak attempt to deny it at the same time.

He wrote the X-men cartoon continuity comic that nobody read from Secret Wars. Also worked for Comics Alliance and had, shall we say, controversial opinions.

Remember when david found a security hole in marvel's servers that people were using to get comics before they were being printed and a week later Stephen Wacker was stalking/harassing him on twitter and his blog because he complained about double shipping hurting sales of marvel comics he was buying.

That's Chris Sims, moron.

That's Chris Sims user.

Brothers works for IMAGE and does the IMAGE+ magazine

Origin of Akira Yoshida
cbr.com/akira-yoshida-a-bullet-for-marvels-young-guns/

How the fuck did they get away with this

>Yoshida’s next miniseries, “Elektra: The Hand,” was actually a project he pitched when he first met with Marvel. “I pitched this book to Marvel back in 2003. It was one of my first pitches to Marvel, along with a Red Ronin series I am still trying to get off the ground,
Remember that there was new Red Ronin in Loners

>To begin with, Yoshida grew up in Japan reading manga. Since his father was in international business, he spent parts of his childhood living in the U.S. where he learned English by reading superhero comics and watching TV and movies. As a child, the writer said he always wanted to work in either the Japanese manga or American comics industry. Fortunately, he’s had the privilege of doing both as an adult.
This doesn't even sound real.

Youngblood is the best team book these days, he's a good writer

4letter blog

He did that piece about artists and twice-monthly marvel schedule where Wacker had a breakdown in the comments

That's Chad Bowers.

>the new Marvel EiC will be a bigger Jew than Ike

>One area where I will unfortunately have to pass the baton is talent recruitment. I will no longer be the guy out in the artist alleys at cons looking for pencilers, painters, inkers, colorists and designers. Someone else will soon be stepping into that position. But I’ll still be out there on Twitter offering advice when and where I can and doing my best to help people get their foot in the Marvel door. That’s just something that’s in my blood. I’ve had all my dreams come true by working at Marvel and still want to help others have the same experience.

This was said back in June 2014.

I seem to remember complaints about talent quality nosedive getting louder in the last three years.

Brothers did write a little for CA waaaay back

he hasn't written big 2

Was this the beginning of Wacker being an asshole on random websites and forums?

>and a week later Stephen Wacker was stalking/harassing him on twitter and his blog because he complained about double shipping hurting sales of marvel comics he was buying.
>He did that piece about artists and twice-monthly marvel schedule where Wacker had a breakdown in the comments

I remember this. People may claim that Marvel still had high sales so Wacker should be allowed to get in fights with fans, but I say that it's not the case since they kept having to do stunt after stunt at an increased level than before.

No, he was being an asshole on CBR during BND, which happened before he went onto 4thletter.

>4thletter
that's what it was, memories of the what if? reviews are flooding back to me now

>Has Marvel always had that policy?

IIRC, the policy came about sometime after Marvel's post-bankruptcy restructuring in the late 1990s. Part of the problem with editors also writing titles is that there's a pretty clear conflict of interest... what may work creatively in terms of writing may not be the best thing for a book in terms of the larger editorial scope, and vice versa. And an editor may also—intentionally or subconsciously—unnecessarily interfere with the writers on the books he edits; i.e., if a book he edits but does not write competes for sales with a book he does write, it may affect how he oversees the former. It's just a situation best avoided.

Samefag here. Now that I think about it more, I think the "editors-can't-be-writers" policy might have been in place even before Marvel's bankruptcy. I remember sometime in the late 1980s/early 1990s several long-time Marvel editors leaving their staff positions to become freelance writers for Marvel (e.g., Larry Hama, Louise Simonson, Dwayne McDuffie, etc.), although I don't know if this was a matter of policy or simply coincidence.

Shooter did it when he first came in because people were editing their own books and getting 2 checks from it. But I can't remember details (how long it lasted. if they couldn't do it or just didn't get 2 checks. etc etc)

It was definitely a Shooter thing. There was a whole blow-up when Roy Thomas quit because he couldn't edit his own book.

Editors definitely couldn't edit the books they were writing by the time Shooter came along as EiC, but for a period under Shooter, they were still allowed to "freelance" on Marvel titles as long as they didn't edit those specific books. I remember Larry Hama was the editor on a couple of Conan titles even as he was writing G.I. Joe in the mid-1980s and for a time, Ann Nocenti was editing Uncanny X-Men while simultaneously serving as the writer on Daredevil.

Rich:
>Now, CB Cebulski is a very good man, and talented, and handsome, and a great guy, and of course has a massive dick. But I swear I know nothing about any of this Yashida business, and definitely don't have any sort of regular contact with CB, despite the fact that he is such an extremely talented and attractive gentleman.

yeah from what i remember it was a lot of early 70s guys who did the like cosmic books

Technically, its fraud

Not a good start as e-i-c

Blacks are the most pussy race on Earth, no question

>hating on David Brothers

Dude seems pretty chill to me, plus he digs Lupin III

In what manner was the Marvel Adventures line remotley wapeanese-y? It was just an all-ages book with bland house-stlye art and decent and very standard writing.

He's talking about Mangaverse, not sure why he used a MA page though.

Don't forget about marvel hired Ron Richards, an alleged harasser/abuser, right when DC got rid of Berganza.

Who's Roberto Mendosa supposed to be?

He used an MA page because the writing credit was "Akira Yoshida."

Akira Yoshida.

What international business did Mr. Yoshida WORK in? Like, was he the guy who came to the US and tried to get American workers to work like Japanese ones like in that one movie or something?

So, what I gather from this that CB has a direct line to Ike and enabled his kikeking

>work at marvel
>be a shaddy, scummy asshole
>get to fall upwards

It checks out

I don't think Ike really gives that much of a shit about the comics division. He owns the entire company, he's busy thinking about all the high level shit. He only goes down to the comics offices to jew around and complain about people spending money on office supplies.

Cebulski has probably sucked Quesadilla's dick enough times to earn him the promotion.

I see a lot of mentions of collaborating with Pat Lee. What a """""coincidence""""""

Gross, he's a weeb

>I fail to see any kind of problem or """"controversy"""" here. Explain pls

David Brothers, the comics """""journalist"""""" trying to start shit is a former editor for Comics Alliance. That should tell you a lot about his motivations. He's sees racism and prejudice and bigotry in everything and anything, so long as it gets him clicks.

So a white writer using an ethnic penname is "cultural appropriation" and Brothers wants to crucify him for it.

I for one hope that pussy ass nigger david brothers gets aids and dies a terrible, terrible death.

He corrected the use of we in the next tweet because he's no longer a journalist and hasn't made a single mention of the "controversy" since then.

Kinda hard to start shit with a single tweet and then moving on to other things.

Except it wasn't just a penname, it was a totally falsified identity, complete with made-up backstory and fake interviews, created to lend more credibility to these manga titles.

And in addition, he was using it to get around rules so he could be an editor while collecting freelance checks for writing and having free reign to write wherever else he wanted under this invented identity. The worst part is he was denying other writers work by giving his fake name these gigs, all while getting patted on the back for "bringing in new talent".

If it was just him using a fake name to write, that wouldn't be a big deal. But the whole thing is a lot deeper than that. And though Brothers naturally wants to turn it into a race thing, it really isn't, it's simply about being a disingenuous, self-serving and shady guy.

>he learned English by reading superhero comics
Cheeky bastard.

I mean, still better than the guy going out.

UMMM ... racist much???

He has to return his kahtahnah to its sheath for the cut to happen first.

>Toady to ME

>So, CB, what exactly did happen to Akira Yoshida?
>"He had the ability. But he didn't have the attitude."

Yeah, and while we're at it why did Kazuhiko Kato call himself Monkey Punch while writing Lupin III. Neither of those sound Japanese-y to me! Fucking westaboos need to stay separate but equal if you ask me.

There's a difference between having a penname, and having a fabricated backstory and fake interviews

>being retarded

I disagree. Having a fake persona to shill books is simply an extension of having a pen name that's necessary in the modern era. You try a pen name today and people would be saying "Who's this George Elliot guy? I can't find him on social media anywhere!"
I don't think creators are required to give you an accurate rendition of their past or personality. The work should stand or fall on it's own merits.

So if the work stands on its own, why even have a pen name?

Not that guy but IIRC during this era, editors writing things was a no-no so if he were an editor then that's why he did it

Yes, which is shitty because his job as an editor (by his own admission) was to bring new people into the industry, one of whom was supposedly Akira Yoshida, who was actually just himself collecting paychecks.

Interesting. There was always speculation that Yoshida was the pen-name for another writer, fuelled by the lack of any pictures of him, or any evidence of his career before or after Marvel.

Reminder that "Akira Yoshida" also wrote pic related, probably his highest-profile work, and also maybe his worst work. All he had to do was give readers a mid-1990s nostalgia fix and they would have been happy.

Man, if this is C.B.'s high water mark of quality we are not in for a good time with him as EiC. Then again, how could it get any worse?

Please see this actual photograph of the supposedly fictional Akira Yoshida.

This user is right:
Shooter-era policy was to stop people being writer and editor of the same book, because the writer needs to have someone above them who can say "no" when it needs to be said.

Editors continued to write other books, and this was widespread at Marvel until the mid-1990s. It almost entirely died out under Bob Harras as EiC. Harras quit writing books when he was promoted to EiC, and a number of others who had been both an editor and a writer chose to leave editorial positions and focus on writing Marvel books.

Under Quesada, it seems to have become an official policy that editors couldn't also be writers.

He also edited this masterpiece

>A literal decade ago, some Marvel editor used a Japanese pen name to write some manga-inspired Marvel Comics and get around Marvel's rule of editors not being able to write
I genuinely hope that anyone who finds this newsworthy, controversial, offensive or anything other than an interesting bit of trivia trips on a rock and breaks their neck.

>Man, if this is C.B.'s high water mark of quality we are not in for a good time with him as EiC.

The best work by "Akira Yoshida" was his "Kitty Pryde goes to Japan" series.

CB is better known as a talent-scout, the Loners miniseries is one of the few things he wrote for Marvel.

>Then again, how could it get any worse?

From where we are now, it may be impossible to see how it could get worse. But it always can, and we may always be asking how it can get worse.

It might be a good sign that they didn't promote Brevoort or Amanat, if they replaced Alonso, it's unlikely things would change much.