I didn't get it

I didn't get it

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/davegibbons90/status/856772740510081025
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The president had Peacemaker kill him because he believed he would be reborn as a super human, it was that belief that turned his whole life around after years of wallowing in despair and self pity over accidentally killing his own father.

Also Captain Atom talks about the nature of deconstruction and how just taking something apart doesn't give you a complete understanding. It needs to work when you put it back together. That was Morrison's rebuttal to Watchmen.

So ... he was gay, right?

>It needs to work when you put it back together. That was Morrison's rebuttal to Watchmen.
I actually completely agree. It's always bugged me that the big "point" of Watchmen involves Adrian only being "comicbook smart". It breaks the book because none of it makes sense if Adrian isn't actually smart.
Moore tries to have his cake and eat it too.
(excuse the movie picture, it was the only pic related on hand.).

projection

>excuse the movie picture, it was the only pic related on hand

Never make excuses for masterpieces

You're damn right it's a master piece, a master piece of shit

>Adrian only being "comicbook smart". It breaks the book

Same user. I disagree. We have Adrian in his secret arctic layer, in full costume, with a doomsday weapon, saying he's " not some comic book villain" when that's all he is. Adrian and everything fantastical and wild about superheroes doesn't belong in the real world.

What was the 8 algorithm ting?

I thought the President had Peacemaker kill him so that he could serve as a Jesus figure when blue-man brought him back.

But blue-man couldn't bring him back.

But his plan shouldn't have even gotten that far if he wasn't actually smart, Alan.

It was the name of the President's Plan

It's more about why do people like this so much. What's so special about it?

It's a neat way of framing the Charlston heroes and the art is kind of clever. That's about it.

His plan still fails. I'm not reading Doomsday Clock to find out The best he can come up with is an alien hoax and he thinks he gets a happy ending.

Great art, complex plot told without decompression, good characterization of the charlatan characters, fun to compare it to Watchmen, makes you think, etc.

Read Doomsday Clock, is for your kind

But people say this is one of the great single issues ever. Every time j read Morrison comics I fail to understand the praise he garners. I think I'm a brainlet

Because you are SANE!
Nah I'm just joshin' ya, it's great. But now you can't stop hearing Red Mantle's voice can you?
Whose voice are you even reading this in? Yours? OURS?!

>The best he can come up with is an alien hoax
But what he did would take someone who is actually smart to do it.

I heard this burn in a machinima from like 2008

>Every time
Pax is confusing to the point of "okay maybe there's not that much to get", but a lot of his comics are actually good while making you think more than your average capeshit. Read Animal Man of Flex Mentallo.

I think we're arguing different points here.

Is your problem that he should be smart enough to know his plan will fail?

You can read it in different directions.
The art is amazing, the panels are just fantastic, not in a meme shallow way like in Doomsday Cuck.

>Is your problem that he should be smart enough to know his plan will fail?
Yes. Moore invalidates his world by reducing a main character to a "point", thereby wrecking the structure. Either the characters are characters, or they are "points".

is that really him ?

It is. It's ridiculously dense and there's a lot packed into the art. It's designed to be able to be read forward and backwards. It's a new spin on old characters and a famous story. It's something that only works as a comic book.

I guess I just always took that as his ego, years of being told he was the world's smartest man and other successes lead him to what he thought was an infallible plan.

That was his plan, but that there was another side of Capt. Atoms revelation with his dog. The act of deconstruction changes the whole, once it's been taken apart even if you put it back the exact same way it can never be the same.

I wonder how long this took to draw

I wonder if Morrison included every single panel in the script

The book wad a deconstruction of a deconstruction.

nah

so it was just a construction

The structure.
Morrison has always maintained his opinion that Watchmen was flawless in it's structure.

I just got my copy of multiversity today so I might not understand it completely yet but my first thoughts were that he had Peacemaker kill him so that Captain Atom could revive him and show that the american will was unbreakable if a President could come back from the dead. But then Captain Atom was gone.

Even smart people are able to do mistakes and not foresee the fallibility of their actions. It's called hubris. It's inherently human thing, that's Adrian's main flaw. To err is human, but Jon isn't human anymore and thus he is able to acknowledge and know that nothing ever ends.

But Hubris just doesn't cover it. That's a band aid on a character breaking attempt at making some point about comics.

The shop was originally Chuck's Suck and Fuck. Don't even ask me how they sold that. Wouldn't that just be a brothel? What type of brothel would be named that?

it's not at all character breaking for Ozy to be blinded by his own ego

In the context of the intelligence he displays in his machinations and his playing of other people's psyches it is, yes.

>The Society of Super-Heroes: Conquerors from the Counter-World
Earth 2
>The Just
Kingdom Come
>Pax Americana
Watchmen
>Thunderworld Adventures
can't exactly be sure what important comic matches this one
>Mastermen
Red Son
>Ultra Comics
Miracle Man

it literally isn't. His entire plan is based around how only he can see how to save the world, of course his ego wouldn't allow him to see the flaws. Intelligence has nothing to do with ego. In fact it is his very intelligence that would blind him to the flaws.

It's HIS plan, and he's a genius, of course nothing could go wrong!

Disagree. Feels like an excuse for Moore to have his cake and eat it too.

>why was my genius charaqcter too dumb to think for a second
>....
>.......
>.....uh.....HUBRIS! My story is saved!

Surprising how relevant this page and the whole thing about retreating into isolationism is relevant today. When was this written?

Well, writing is really hard. You try it some time

there's this concept in fiction called a "fatal flaw," maybe you've heard of it

it came out in 2014 but was probably written well before that

>there's this trope for getting out of corners in writing

>le geniuses can't ever fuck up!

Adrian is a human being. No matter how smart he is, he makes mistakes like everyone else. If he and his plan was truly flawless it wouldn't have ever even been discovered by Rorschach and co. you cannot control all the variables in the real world. To think you can is hubris personified.

Morrison is just such a boring writer, I will never forgive him for wasting based Murphy's art on that stupid Joe the Barbarian story

The Just is explicitly based Super-Sons from the 70s.

it's not a corner if it's central to the character

Moore even directly calls out Ozy's ego by having Night Owl comment that he made his password his own name, and you apparently still didn't get it

>that he made his password his own name
But see, that's dumb too, and Ego doesn't patch it over. Even Hitler would not name his secret jew gassing formula files "Adolf".

>Morrison is just such a boring writer
In comparison to what other capeshit writers?

see

Yeah he sure is boring.

To be fair everyone's writing wastes Murphy's art, especially his own.

why are you so against characters having flaws?

Nigger it's not the character, it's the writing.

>characters are not part of the writing
do you also have a problem with Shakespearean tragic heroes having fatal flaws?

see
>But see, that's dumb too, and Ego doesn't patch it over. Even Hitler would not name his secret jew gassing formula files "Adolf".

I understand the intent. The execution just sucks.

just because you don't like it doesn't mean it sucks

Just because you like it doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

I'm glad I skipped everything in Multiversity that wasn't Pax and Thunderworld. Morrison loves superheroes too much for my tastes.

>Even Hitler would not name his secret jew gassing formula files "Adolf".

True he would name it Mein Geheimer Plan.

it ain't just me who likes it

>skipping SOS
>skipping Ultra Comics

And it ain't just me who dislikes it.

no, I'm pretty sure it is

If you don't like superheroes, why would you even bother reading Multiversity? Not only is that kind of the whole point, but you won't really get it if you're still in the phase where you pretend to be a cool kid, saying things like "I don't read CAPE comics, those are for BABIES".

IT AINT ME
IT AINT ME
I AINT NO FORTUNATE SON

Especially Ultra. " Don't turn the page, you the reader are the cause of characters pain" Whatever.

I highly doubt that I am the only person on planet earth who thinks Watchmen isn't perfectly written and plotted.

You said you skipped it but it sounds like you read it.

????????

yes, I'm sure there are other people out there with taste as shit as yours

maybe you should form a club

>why would you even bother reading Multiversity

Frank Quitely, who is unfortunately for me tethered to the hips of Morrison and Millar.

I like some cape comics, just not the type Morrison makes. I'm more JLI than JLA.

not saying they're better writers or anything but at least Snyder and Millar let Murphy go balls out and deliver sweet art
Morrison just writes a slow narrative, not really entertaining

he brings out the worst tendencies in writers, idk if there's any other artist like that
they all just want to give him pretty scenes and forget about any actual story

>I'm more JLI than JLA.
Why_not_both.childrape

2d4u?

The one with Question investigating the murder scene in the museum is one of ny favs.

Morrison brings out the best on Quitely.

Semi related but I really hate how wanky people get about the 3x3 and they think every modern comic with a 3x3 panel grid is high brow just because Watchmen used it (ignoring the fact that a lot of silver age comics also used it) and because Morrison ocassionally had it in his latest comics.

You have thay shit in Mister Miracle and while some of the panels look good Gerards also tends to abuse the copy and paste and has some pretty boring panel compositions.

it also ignores that Moore did it because he liked Love and Rockets

Love and Rockets needs more love, is what I'm saying

>ignoring the fact that a lot of silver age comics also used it

It's not the fact that it's 3x3 and thus great, but what people do with that structure. Even something simple as Mister Miracle uses it well as a pacing and storytelling device.

it was Gibbons idea too iirc.

(one reason)3x3 is great bc it forces you into think about pacing out the story.

Whose the QT girl in this anyway, I never read Carlton so I don't recognize

I just have no love for straight forward superheroes, stuff like his JLA or the JSA, or anything by the likes of Johns, Robinson, or Busiek. All Star Superman was the one exception.

I wish he did more stuff like Doom Patrol, that's my shit when it comes to a monthly ongoing cape comic.

Millar brings out a better Quitely
Jupiter's Legacy is gorgeous

>it was Gibbons idea too iirc.

twitter.com/davegibbons90/status/856772740510081025

According to Gibbons:

>Actually, I chose the nine panel grid and sold it to Alan. Gave him great control & its restriction challenged me to compose more creatively

>not liking Secret Identity
yikes

Nightshade. She was Captain Atom's girlfriend in the old Charlton comics.

i'm fucking stoned and disassociating because of how you can read this comic in all the different directions goddammit morrison

saying someone isn't as good as quitely doesn't mean anything. dude is GOAT

So he’s supposed to look like Jesus right no way was it not intentionall with his whole plane basically being a failed Christ death and resurrection for sin

I don't know. Nothing about Jupiter's Legacy was that mindblowing, just baseline Quitely. Morrison challenges Quitely by asking him to draw shit that cannot be described, Millar just makes him draw standard capeshit.

Busiek's best are Secret Identity, Avengers Forever(the rest of the run kinda sucks), Thunderbolts and Astro City
Robinson's Starman is pretty great
Johns sucks

Interesting power set. How come she doesn't use them when Question is slapping her shit?

Did Morrison literally just write it out, LMAO YOUR MOM WAS JUST CRAZY

it's pretty, but it doesn't really measure up to Pax or We3 or even Batman and Robin

I guess from an artistic standpoint Morrison pushes him
just how Millar utilizes action that seems so seamless and perfect to me

>the rest of the run kinda sucks

Mugga, I will fight you. It's almost completely the gold standard how to do Avengers right. Kang Dynasty and the floating pyramid running too long were the only hiccups.

>Batman and Robin
Bless Quitely for incorporating sound effects into the art.