Emoji Legacy

The failure of the Emoji movie, in basically every way a movie can fail, has been a valuable and cautionary tale about what NOT to do with the Wreck it Ralph sequel.

The people making it did NOT ignore what people said and did.
Furthermore, it’s affected Hollywood in ways we don’t get to really hear about. All related Emoji projects are beyond shot to shit. Books, tie ins, etc, production is for the most part ceased except for those Hot Topic pillows and stuff like that.
What’s ironic is that for Sony this was a “Safe” movie. It was supposed to be inoffensive, child friendly and risk free. You just throw it out there with half a shit given and then reel in those dollars.

It was not. It failed on every level. With that in mind they’re in a pickle. People won’t tolerate a soulless cash grab of this magnitude again so who know what unnamed shit they chopped after it failed, to say nothing of the costs.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Otot3oVIGdI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Calling it now, Wreck it Ralph 2 is going to be delayed because they were risking making the same mistakes as the Emoji movie and will have to go back to the drawing board for several scenes to avoid embarrassment

eh. a single failure in a series of guaranteed cheap successes isn't going to change anyone's mind. we just got a fucking mario and rabbids game, and people are eating it up.

The Emoji movie made over 4x it's budget, enough to be a success

Emoji Movie made 215mil on a 50mil budget, what the fuck are you on OP. DId you buy into the hype that it was the worst thing to ever happen to animation?

>On a 50mil budget
Don't forget advertising, which generally excluded from these tallies.

So what you are saying is emoji movie has saved us?
Based Sony Pictures Animation.

Don't forget the obvious endorsements from apps to be used in their movie.

If you are right a part of me is sad. It would have been an even more glorious failure than the emoji movie on account of it"s disney

Saying its a failure making 4x its budget is pushing the sad truth that Captain Underpants is a failure making 3x its budget. Course it had a fraction of the advertising Emoji movie did.

Actually the Emoji movie was a tremendous financial failure because Sony bet a huge amount of money on it and had a massive advertising spend. Their financial forecast on it was massive and they expected it to play well in markets like China and India where they went on massive advertising spends. It opened to below expectations everywhere and didn't meet Sony's incredibly high internal revenue goals for it. And because of the bad word of mouth, forecasts had to be significantly lowered regarding VOD and Home release. There's where the financial flop comes in (Alongside murdering what remained of TJ Miller's career)

Meanwhile, Captain Underpants financial forecasts were on the button with appropriate marketing spend and a box office opening. The film was good too so it will hold up in home and VOD releases. The long term forecast is good for it. That's the difference between what constitutes a flop and success. Projections. Sony bet the house on the Emoji movie and it near wiped out the net gains they made with Spider-Man Homecoming. That's how bad it was.

>forecasts
Thats a good point. I think when you propose it like "we make 10x money" but only gets 4th times profit, the higher ups might think that either the film was bad, the prognosed interest isnt there and 6x money was lost.

Besides its about emojis, isnt there some royalties involved? I didnt saw that movie, so i dont know if there were apple emojis or others used. I wouldnt be surprised if smiley corporation had to be paid, because it all relates on it.

that'd be an issue if it actually was a shitty game

Rabbids are a respectable franchise

I kind of hope the Wreck It Ralph 2 writers retroactively throw in a subtle jab at the Emoji Movie

good, Zootopia 2 when?

>and people are eating it up.
Because shitty launch bug aside it's really fucking good.

probably be another year or two

they need their time to work out the story properly, like with the prior tone issues and such

Launch bug is a poor choice of words. Bug that was instantly patched
I played for weeks before I updated though, i got so mad when I worked out where my gold was going after all that time, I still haven't caught up.

> Sony bet a huge amount of money on it and had a massive advertising spend.
Any source for that other than "I saw lots of commercials"? Like a figure that's not complete guessing?

That would be included in the 50mil production budget.

Oh would it? Didnt thought that would. I thought its not production budget. Thx user.

There are no royalties involved, that’s also why Sony rushed this movie out. Any other company could have made their own emoji movie, ( yet Sony paid millions for the pitch)

Cool. Hope the noir movie idea will be back, as well the Wilde Times they promised.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Otot3oVIGdI

ralph's movie is different though. it will be just like previous movie but instead of games they go on websites. dont worry too much about it

Man, I would rejoice if Emoji Movie was an actual failure, everything about it gets my blood boiling.

It was in Sony's last investors relations report. They softened the blow a bit, but the division took a hit because of the Emoji movie and they told investors that it didn't hit the projected numbers internally they don't expect to make much more off the film further on as they have "Revised Forecasts". The home and VOD release in December isn't forecast to do well.

It was. Sony bet nearly their entire division on it with insanely high numbers and ignored the backlash saying it was a "Vocal part of the internet" till Critic reviews came out and murdered it. Only Spidey Homecoming beating projections helped them survive it.

The original Zootopia was way too dark, even for dark Disney cartoons sake.

Are you from /biz/? I’d love if they had some input on that clusteruck.

Ralph Breaks The Internet will be the Emoji Movie done right

Modern audience is treated with mittens.It wasn't too dark, it just didn't have proper conclusion.