JUSTice League

Domestic gross after two weekends for each DCEU movie:

Batman vs. Superman: $260,408,047
Suicide Squad: $222,640,741
Man of Steel: $210,078,153
Wonder Woman: $206,343,175
Justice League: $171,903,874
Not to mention Justice League also had the benefit of the holiday weekend, AND it has the highest budget
What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U4WiyxXpyZc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League_(film)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the public has never cared about anyone besides batman and superman is the problem. they needed to spend more time on the others if they wanted mass normie appeal, which, let's admit it, is the only factor in movie grossing

>it might not even hit $600 million
Holy fuck.

It's a shame since I enjoyed the things they did in Wonder Woman, in spite of Gadot's awkwardness with her acting in her movie

We could live in a world where a Justice League movie on a 300 million dollar budget grosses less than a THIRD Thor movie.

What the fuck kind of universe is this?

The one where Snyder was put in charge

The public never cared about Iron Man either until the movie.

>going against Coco
Kids movie on a family weekend will always outdraw.

Exactly why they needed to give Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg their own solo movies instead of just slapping them into the same movie out of nowhere in an attempt to catch up with Marvel faster

The way they are shown in the movie, Cyborg and Flash wouldn't be able to carry solo movies. Cyborg is just too bland, and Flash is Jar Jar Binks level of annoying.

Exactly, that's the point

face it, this dceu as presently constructed is totally fucked, there’s no way around it

even just commercial success is not a sure thing at this point

If you mean worldwide gross, there is still a chance because of chinks and some other turd worlders.

It's closer to artistic success than monetary success.

>What went wrong?

Whedon.

>What went wrong

Moviegoers are becoming more savvy. At least male moviegoers are.

>It's closer to artistic success
According to who? This isn't Nolan

That means jackshit if we want the DCEU to continue...

>It's closer to artistic success
>average rt score 48,2 %
>average rt rating 5,74
Top kek. Blade Runner 2049 is an artistic success. Dredd is an artistic succes. Justice League is a failure in every regard.

People just need to realize, DC's crusty old characters are antiquated as fuck and nobody cares about them anymore. They're lame and cheesy and kids laugh at them. Even Batman. Only Wonder Woman is capable of drawing attention these days, and that's only because of muh feminism.

Yeah, but the plot was kind of interesting, and the villain got an ironic comeuppance in the end. That made it more comic booky. For all their flaws, Suicide Squad and Justice League felt more like comic books than anything Marvel has made. It wasn't just a comedic action movie with characters you know, it was panels on the screen

>They're lame and cheesy and kids laugh at them
Hi there

The difference is, that movie knew how stupid and cheesy it was. The movie is a damn comedy for crying out loud. Batman v. Superman had the same tone as Passion of the Christ.

>Batman v. Superman had the same tone as Passion of the Christ.
That's the director's failure rather than the source material's.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

Lol. It really fucking did.

I suppose it's not if you're looking for examples of unintentional irony. Personally, I've always wanted a Teletubbies film with the same tone as The Brown Bunny.

Critics hate everything DC produces, regardless of quality, because, other than Wonder Woman, the movies don't match the politics that California loves. The reviews for Ragnorok and JL are nearly identical other than the "point values"

>Critics hate everything DC produces
Yeah, like that hated Dark Knight trilogy. People couldn't stand it.

Good news, bland Cyborg is getting his own movie!

It's so weird to me how they keep trying to make Cyborg a major character but can't work out how to replicate the writing that made him succesful.

Yeah I remember all those negative Lego Batman reviews

>implying the Dark Knight was a Batman movie

It was a Batman movie, and a DC movie too. No amount of mental gymnastics or "p-people just h-hate DC!!!" defense will save you from the simple truth that DCEU movies are trash and that's the only reason the DCEU is in the state it's in.

It was Batman in name only.

except they're committed to this dichotomy that DC=bad; Marvel= good now.

Even when there's a tonal mistake for Thor Ragnarok these fucktard critics hide it on the guise of "IT WAS FUN".

Marvel has become the Apple to DC's Microsoft.

Normies watch Marvel for the Social Status nowadays

>now.
>nowadays
Exactly. And the reason for it is that DCEU movies are trash, and each next movie only solidifies that.
>in name only
That sounds moronic and you know it. Harvey not having split personality was literally the only difference from comic books.

This is from 2011. Looks like he jinxed it

He also called Antman flavor of the week.

and of course in that quote he ignores the five Superman films, when he says Superman has no movies.

They watched WW.

Stop making excuses.

Indeed, only proud aryans watch jewsney marvel movies.

>People will never see Justice league at it full grace
>People will forever think that JL is Avengers ripoff
>People will think that marlel is definiton of capeshit
>There will be a whole generaton thinking that quip quip quip, blant story and awful cgi is the only way capeshit can exist

Weird, i thought he would speak in ancient hebrew like messiah...maybe he is not the saviour of cinema as kinosseurs say.

>What went wrong?
MoS 2 not happening. That's the one movie we really needed before JL

I'm actually a bit saddened that DCEU is kill. I rather wanted to see the times when normies would complain that Darkseid is a Thanos rip-off with my own eyes.

This was worse than any MCU quip.

I honestly think Atlantis quip was the worst one I have ever seen in all of capeshit.

Good thing it wasn't happening forty times in twenty minutes and undercutting every scene and piece of plot.

Hitting $600 worldwide doesn't break even. They need, for a safe guess, at least $750 million worldwide.

I have normiefriends who want an aquaman movie now, so at least there is that.

>It was Batman in name only

So is the DCEU "Batman" and "Superman".

>Implying the DCEU was a live action version of DC comics

You mean a Black Manta movie, right?

I haven't seen it yet, but did they at least have Steppenwolf's first scene be accompanied by Magic Carpet Ride?
youtube.com/watch?v=U4WiyxXpyZc

no, it happened once and cut the entire movie down.
cause thats better

Didn't watch JL. What was it?

Suicide Squad did feel like a bunch of tie-in one-shots that don't stand on their own and don't fit together in a satisfying way.

They tried to get all the audiences but instead got none of them. Just focus on one type of audience (me) per movie next time.

>but the plot was kind of interesting

'Collect three boxes' was interesting to you?

>and the villain got an ironic comeuppance in the end

This happens in tons of cape movies.

It's in the last trailer
>Well, can you point me to Atlantis?

really?
THATS the worst?

Should've done more origin movie build up movies DC. Marvel did it for a reason.

Yeah

Fuck it, I'm gonna go rewatch Justice League Unlimited to make myself feel better

That wasn't a quip. It was supposed to be a smug "I know" moment that fell flat.

I think that's part of the problem with League and Squad. From an editing stand point they feel like comics. They have that flow. The thing is that flow doesn't really work for a movie. It's a jarring thing outside of comics.

Also, Incubus was awful.

You don't need that. We've had ensemble films for a century that didn't need 6 tiein films first. I'm not sure how Marvel brainwashed people into thinking we needed all the other films first. Especially when Guardians was an ensemble film.

And that's not to say League wasn't flawed or that League was good. It's just that this "Oh they needed to give everyone else a movie first" thing isn't really true. They don't even need to do origin movies. You can do a Flash or Aquaman or anyone movie without going over their origins.

You don't really need to have individual movies to lead up to a big ensemble piece. You just have to make sure that the ensemble piece isn't awful. The Guardians didn't have their own films before GotG 1 happened.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League_(film)

Wikipedia says domestic and worldwide together is nearly 500 million so 750 million doesn't seem out of the question.

Unless you mean it would need to hit over a billion when accounting for both domestic and worldwide.

Marvel did it because they don't Spidey or X-men

It was awful they added it in the first place. Because right after he says "I hear you can talk to fish"

I hate how foreigners have influence in what movies are made in Hollywood.

It's about maximizing profits. Yes, you can have a successful ensemble movie without individual movies (Marvel didn't brainwash anyone about this point, in fact they have done it themselves with Guardians of the Galaxy as many have pointed out). However, to build up HYPE for the ensemble movies, to make an ensemble movie that gets the same kinda cash the original Avengers got (which is all companies making these superhero movies care about), you need to have the individual characters hold their own movies. Then it feels like this big clash of different personalities like the old Universal "Vs" flicks.

>the villain got an ironic comeuppance in the end

I guess you enjoyed the shit out of Rise of the guardians, you simpleton

hahahhahahaha

Too think Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman are the most profitable DCEU movies

Even Superman is down for the count as a draw

They still drove the point of her mother being called MARTHA thru your skull like a drill, with like 5 scenes of flashbacks and side characters saying out loud

>You must be Barry. I'm Diana.
>Hi Barry, I'm Diana. Wait, that can't be right...

>it made less money than the Emoji Movie

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>What went wrong?
All the movies before it except Wonder Woman.

People only really care about Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman and they had already been together in BvS. Adding Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg wouldn't bring anybody to the theater. This was basically a sequel to a poor received movie which expectedly, did worse than the previous one.

It's having decent legs compared to the rest of the DCEU except WW. My feeling about this is that less people went to see it, but more of those who did walked out happy with it than with any of the other Snyder films or SS.

TL:DR - It has failed pretty hard but not the massive disaster people try to make out of it. It's not even the biggest flop of the year, nor Snyder's career.

Not if Snyder was doing it.

What the fuck are you talking about?

It's a massive disaster other than financially.

This is their Avengers. THIS IS THE FUCKING JUSTICE LEAGUE.

They wanted MoS to already break 1 billion. Even if it didn't, they wanted more than what MoS made.

So they scrapped MoS 2 and made BvS. Surely putting Batman and Superman (and Wonder Woman) together would make it break 1 billion, right?

Then it didn't. They fucked with JL to make sure it would break 1 billion. They spent 300 million on this shit. They hired Joss Whedon because the guy who did Avengers surely would make it work this time, right?

And then it's the worst performance of any DCEU movie domestically. Overseas are helping but it's still on par with the ones that underperformed.

That was a riot. With BvS, they honestly thought breaking a billion would be a formality.

How much did (((they))) pay you to make this thread?!

>This is their Avengers
No it's not. This is their coming out party for half of their characters. It isn't a culmination, it's a launching pad for what they want to be in the future.

Uh, no. They wanted Avengers money but without the years of setup. That's what this is.

gotta love those game tier CGI right?

Only because they were stupid.
Justice League is the flagship title of the franchise just like the Avengers were. Justice League was supposed to make big bucks and reestablish the team as "the biggest superhero team ever".

Now it's a joke.

First off, you need to stop talking about what retards on Sup Forums said as if it was what the producers actually thought. Those billion dollar goals for every single movie never came from official sources but fans trying to do a pissing match with the other franchise.

Second, this wasn't like Avengers. If anything, it was like Age of Ultron. BvS was Avengers, since it put together the characters people cared about for the first time. Adding Cyborg, Aquaman and Flash was nothing since who the fuck even knows them anyway? People knew who Thor, Iron Man, Captain America and even Black Widow were when Avengers came out.
And just like with Age of Ultron, it didn't make as much as its predecessor. Now, unlike AoU, it had to deal with a largely negative reception from both audiences and critics, and that really fucked with its opening weekend. Taking that into consideration, it's being more liked by those who actually did go to see it, as proven by having much softer drops than any other DCEU except WW.
The big mistake WB made was rushing JL into production before seeing how BvS went. If they had done so, they'd probably realised that the best way to deal with the massive skidmark that Snyder left on the DCEU was to make a couple of standalone movies to build the hype that was lost (WW, Batman, maybe Flash or a Superman solo not called "Man of Steel", and by somebody who's not Snyder) and then release JL to full hype. Justice League isn't a brand that sells as much as either Batman or Superman, and I'd even say Wonder Woman. They needed to build up to it.

Seriously, how could DC fuck this badly? Who in their right mind thought that Superman being dead and his resurrection a secret surprise twist was even remotely a good idea to introduce and promote the very first Justice League movie?
They released promotional material for Justice League. Without Superman in it. Let that sink, and realize how fucking doomed this shit was from the start.

They need to scratch everything. Hard reboot, new directors, full or partial recast. No origin movies except for new characters.
Introduce Shazam and Zatanna in the former's movie, reintroduce Green Lantern as supporting cast in someone else's solo movie. New separate Batman and Superman movies to reestablish the characters. Get this shit ready for a post Avengers 4 industry, when the MCU will get some heavy changes and people might start to lose interest.

>Hard reboot
First reaction to this could be "Just do Flashpoint as an in-universe excuse to reboot everything", but then you realize the existing DCEU is no less dystopian, bleak and shitty than Flashpoint could possibly be, so even that wouldn't work.

No way they'd dump Gadot. She's the only proven money maker so far.

>No christian allegories
>No MARTHA
>No superman looking like he hates saving people
It's shit son, watch BvS the ultimate cut if you want something good.

>Seriously, how could DC fuck this badly?
Hire a director with a resume full of flops and poorly reviewed movies to handle your whole universe.

Her solo movie made less than Man of Steel, and her presence isn't helping JL at all.

She's the only character who got a solo movie that wasn't universally panned, but that's about it.

>Her solo movie made less than Man of Steel
Err, misread OP as total gross, not first two weeks. Disregard that.

>so 750 million doesn't seem out of the question.
It's gonna limp there if it gets close and let's not forget Last Jedi is in 2 weeks so it's pretty much going to get eaten

>No it's not.
Oh wow, the revisionism.

Jesus spoke Aramaic fwiw

>could

DC needed that and you are wrong.

Check the numbers