Ranma
Inuyasha
Mushishi
Black Butler
Angel Sanctuary
Sailor Moon
Peacemaker Kurogane
The Rose of Versailles

and so on, why are there no famous comics created by american women though?

I hear C.B. Cebulski's actually hired a great new writer called I.M. F'Maile on that front.

>writing for a franchise you don't own
>not creating your own intellectual property

Japan is superior.

fuck off weeb

Women are much happier writing novels and short stories.

I was going to write a list of comics runs by female writers or artists, of which there are quite a few, but the truth is few of them have mainstream fame in the same way some of those manga have.

However at the same time there are just very few original, non-superhero properties that have mainstream appeal, period. Creator owned or not. The modern comics industry is built upon old properties.

Sure, amongst comics fans, Ann Nocenti's Daredevil is famous, Gail Simone's Wonder Woman is well-regarded, Mindy Newell's Catwoman is important for the character. But to most people there is no "Ann Nocenti's Daredevil", there is simply "Daredevil".

You could probably count on two or even one hand the comic franchises associated with one creator or team have managed any degree of mainstream recognition whatsoever. Sandman (though this was technically based upon a DC character and has DCU elements), Preacher, maybe Invisibles and Grendel? And this is using the term "mainstream" very liberally.

We're just going to ignore web comics, then?

Also, how are we defining "famous" comics?

>Gail Simone's Wonder Woman is well-regarded,

Go back to tumblr.
The only Simone thing that is well-regarded by comics fans who don't weight 3000 pounds and don't have shitty blue short hair is her Secret Six and BoP runs. Everything else ranges from mediocre to shit.

Because America is patriarchal and sexist

>We're just going to ignore web comics, then?

The only famous western webcomic, if we exclude gag webcomics a la PA, is Homestuck. And even its fame was really short-lived.
People on the streets don't even know what Girl Genius or Gurnesomething Court are, and rightfully so.

is it bad?

Haven't read it but I remember that Secret Six was one of the few cape shit comics that I actually liked enough to read to the end. I remember for a second it made me feel like I'm reading an actual coherent story instead of the usual main line trash

because american women are garbage

I thought this was a list of mangaka that got arrested due to recent happenings and I got so scared for a second.

Starfighter is pretty famous in the yaoi subgenre, however yaoi itself is a niche market.

>using various manga from the same writer
Really?

>Also, how are we defining "famous" comics?

I'm going to guess that if you can say the name of the comic and anybody immediately knows what it is, regardless if they actually read comics or not, it counts as famous.

I'd imagine most people would know what Full Metal and Inuyasha is. so im guessing he means that level of famous.

>Famous
user...

None of those are famous in America, let alone known for being made by women, with the exception of Sailor Moon. MAYBE FMA and Inuyasha cuz they were on Golden Age [adult swim], but I was smack in the target demo in 2005, and even then, only me, my weeb friends and the fujoshi landwhales in AV club watched them.

I know Ranma was super-popular with VHS-tape-trading otaku in the 90s, but it was never broadcast (outside of maybe some Hawaiian shit?) so it never crossed over into the mainstream. You show a picture of girl or guy Ranma to someone on the street, they won't know who the fuck it is, if you show them Sailor Moon, even in silhouette, they'll immediately recognize her.

TL,DR: there isn't an equivalent to say, Card Captor Sakura's popularity in America, because America doesn't give a shit about quality comic booking.

It's good, Azzfags hate it because it pre-emptively shit on his run. Crying "tumblr" for absolutely no reason should have tipped you off that that guy is a retard.

Nigger, at my workplace nobody knows who Aquaman is, but everyone's watched Sailor Moon.

>TL,DR: there isn't an equivalent to say, Card Captor Sakura's popularity in America, because America doesn't give a shit about quality comic booking.

Card Captors Sakura is not good, is just ''cute shit''

>Nigger, at my workplace nobody knows who Aquaman is

things that never happened.

but like
said, the rest of those are nowhere near as recognizable as Sailor Moon outside of Japan.

>why are there no famous comics created by american women though?
I kind of wonder, if the 90s Bad Girl fad hadn't imploded and kept chugging along would it have been a good gateway for more female creators to come in and tell stories with the FUBU mentality?

Not him but you should really go outside more if you wanna give your 2 cents on this.

I picked a name, cut me some slack. I shoulda said Urusei Yatsura, nobody ever shits on 80s stuff.

>None of those are famous in America

Spoiler: there's a world outside America that's been loving those titles and millions more much earlier than Amurrica ever did

Your shit country doesn't matter

Is there even a point to using the weeb insult on Sup Forums? Is there anything objectively worse about being a manga fag than being a Marvel or DC cuck?

>Not him but you should really go outside more if you wanna give your 2 cents on this.

using that as argument about Sailor Moon being more popular than Aquaman says to me that you are the one that never goes out.

Specially with Momo Aquaman, millions of women already are masturbating to him in that outfit

Well, the funny thing is that Japanese society in the eyes of the westerner would probably be seen as "sexist" and "misogynistic", and yet women there are generally as creative and mentally capable as men, and just as hardworking too.

Maybe it comes from their general attitude of adapting to the conditions. They take things as they are and try to make the best of it instead of looking for outside forces that they could blame for their hardships.

Honestly, weeb shit aside, it's a pretty interesting society, shame they gonna disappear pretty soon since all men refuse to breed.

Kate Beaton has an Eisner and several other awards.

/THREAD

>the rest of those are nowhere near as recognizable

If you like manga they're very easily recognizable, you at least have heard of them.
If you're from a country that loves anime and manga like Spain, Mexico, Brazil, Italy or France, you've heard of most of them even if you're not particularly into manga yourself.

Kodomo no jikan is a woman as well.

You sound like a white faggot from the country side.

>Is there even a point to using the weeb insult on Sup Forums?

yes because you can talk about comic book shit or cartoon shit to normies and girls while still being able to get laid and being perceived as a normal dude.

Talk with a normie about something dorky and embarrasing like Boku No Hero and you will be labeled as a beta cuck and of course girls will want nothing to do with your dick

TL;DR

being a comic book fan these days: Normal
being a weeb in any day: unfuckable dork

In Japan, you can make a hit manga all on your own (maybe with some assistants) or as part of a small team. Their vectors for reading manga ensure that talented people with good original stories can reach an audience.

To be truly considered "popular", at least by comics standards, American comics must pass through the gatekeepers of the Big 2, or Image. Big 2 only lets you write about pre-existing superhero characters, unlike manga, where there's an audience and a publication to reach it for many different genres/demographics. Plus, you work with a whole support staff of writers, artists, inkers, etc. It's extremely rare for a writer to do both the art and story for a mainstream-published US comic.

This all adds up to an environment where someone with talent can't just show up and sell a good idea. It's a much higher barrier to entry, and it's a field inherently aimed at (and thus populates by) men.

This is why you're much more likely to see women going into webcomics, for example.

Agent X and her Deadpool stuff is pretty well regarded.

>Well, the funny thing is that Japanese society in the eyes of the westerner would probably be seen as "sexist" and "misogynistic", and yet women there are generally as creative and mentally capable as men, and just as hardworking too.

women are stil perceived as mostly house wives and expected to be that way if they get married in Japan.

Go watch ''That Japanese Man Yuta'' on youtube, he brings light to a lot of those topics and is not a weeb channel either

>thread OP is literally "WHY CAN'T AMURICANS BE MORE LIKE GLORIOUS NIPPON?"
>bring up point that this is a false equivalency between Japanese mangaka and the American market that only recently started pretending to give a shit about comic books, of any country of origin
>HURR NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR SHIT COUNTRY, AMURICA
Literally fucking OBSESSED.

Y'know what, foreign friend? YOU tell us what country YOU'RE from, AND name us a "famous" comic book created by a woman from said country, since that's apparently the measure of a nation's cultural impact.

>Dudebro: The Post
What are you doing on a board where 99% of the threads are to do with shipping underage, sometimes even furry, characters?

Kek are you trying to imply Justice League is successful? hahaha

How about female comic artists? Are there any?

Gunnerkrigg Court deserve more respect.

>If you like manga they're very easily recognizable, you at least have heard of them.

no fucking shit

>In Japan, you can make a hit manga all on your own (maybe with some assistants)

ALWAYS with assistants, Japanese mangaka can't work for shit if they don't have like 3 other guys drawing most of their stuff for them

Remember that assistants are not coffee guys, they are ''draw ALL the backgrounds instead of me and you INK ALL THE ARTWORK instead of me. I will just draw the characters, the easiest part and mostly close up of faces too.'

Ranma is remembered for being that cool trailer on the Pokemon VHS. Honestly though Ranma was popular in the 90s on a way different level than other shows. It's comic singles sold well and it even had a game released here with plans to release others.

Oh yes!

And you lack basic reading comprehension.
The world is full of terrible things, user.

No.

>What are you doing on a board where 99% of the threads are to do with shipping underage, sometimes even furry, characters?

I also like all that shit besides real women.

oh look, turning the thread into company wars instead of country wars, how refreshing.

and no arguments to proove my points wrong I see, very japanese

>you can talk about comic book shit or cartoon shit to normies and girls while still being able to get laid and being perceived as a normal dude.

*if you are a personable, likable, not-repulsive human being

Seriously, do you think people decide the company they keep based on their tastes in entertainment?

Mary Cagle make some pretty decent webcomics.

Look up Genocide and find for yourself.
Only retarded fat women like this like it, because it's written by one of their kind.

oh wow, that cover actually made me pick up wonder woman

yes and men are expect to be at work 24/7 and doing nothing but making money for the family while never seeing them. Both sides aren't very healthy and often end in suffering, but people are extremely locked down with those traditions.

One has to wonder if relaxing a little it bit and maybe mixing things up would help the country. Or maybe not, who knows. Weird place either way.

>*if you are a personable, likable, not-repulsive human being

this is what LOSERS say instead on working on improving themselves via diet, exercise and learning about non-dorky shit.

People don't like comic book fans or weebs because they don't go out of their confort zone.

I bet that you would brag about playing Overwatch for a 100 hours as if that was something to e proud of while bitching about ''every single jock is a douche! I'm a true gentleman and superior to them in any way! ** watches all of Lucky Star... again**

>yes and men are expect to be at work 24/7 and doing nothing but making money for the family while never seeing them. Both sides aren't very healthy and often end in suffering, but people are extremely locked down with those traditions.

this is why manga and anime its so popular, because they don't have time or energy for actual social lives

There's nothing wrong with having different hobbies.

A personable, likable person is someone who doesn't post shit insulting people for no reason. You're clearly bitter at your own lack of social graces and taking it out on others.

What about cartoons vs. anime?

I can't really think of any good cartoons made by women, but I'm not sure about the anime side...

>using that as argument about Sailor Moon being more popular than Aquaman says to me that you are the one that never goes out.

Of course Sailor Moon is more popular than Aquaman, Aquaman isn't even popular in the states, and no one knows him in the rest of the world.

Meanwhile Sailor Moon is huge in Japan, while also huge in many european countries as well as asia in general.

>good cartoons
OP's criteria is more appeal to popularity, and by that measure you've got a whole board who'll give you an ear full on a certain famous cartoon made by a woman.

>and no arguments to proove my points wrong I see, very japanese
Here's an argument to proooove your points wrong: look up Aquaman's comics sale worldwide, then look up Sailor Moon's.
Then neck yourself you sheltered autist.

Genocide is a shit villain as is the last arc before Odyssey but the rest of the run has literally nothing you could possibly construe as "tumblr" unless you are actually insane

>What about cartoons vs. anime?

Most anime is based upon a manga.

Not him but within italian borders Diabolik is very famous and it was created by a duo of sisters in the 60s, and you being on Sup Forums have probably heard of pic related.

>Honestly, weeb shit aside, it's a pretty interesting society, shame they gonna disappear pretty soon since all men refuse to breed.
>127 million people
>disappear

yeah but its wrong be a weeb.
there is liking your ocasional Dragon Ball Super because its really good and DBZ is part of your childhood.

and there is watching that and like 20 other weeb shows every week
only owning t-shirts with animu logos and characters
having a shitty diet

and specially having all your hobbies take place inside a fucking closed room: anime, video games. more anime...

>A personable, likable person is someone who doesn't post shit insulting people for no reason.

I bet that I perfectly described how you spend your days, lardo

>Meanwhile Sailor Moon is huge in Japan

yeah, remember how succesful was the latest anime with the shitty looking characters and animation

>pic related
Fucking shit, I post about the show all the time and I actually forgot who made the comics.
Just goes to show you how much I read comics...

>black butler
>all that american hatred
explains it

People panicking about their birth rate going below replacement levels, but being such a small land space, seems like they could get by with a smaller population, especially with impending automation.

Why?
It's been going for more than a decade and the plot has still yet to make an appearance.

There's more than one author in this list.

>Here's an argument to proooove your points wrong:

Go ask your uncle, your dad, that guy from the store, the baker, etc about both Aquaman and Sailor moon.

I don't even have to type the rest to explain my entire point, right?

>Just goes to show you how much I read comics...

How is it the world's problem if you're an illiterate retard though

and none of them are popular outside of Japan.

>One has to wonder if relaxing a little it bit and maybe mixing things up would help the country
If Japan managed to loosen up and mix things up would it actually end up being the best place on earth? compared to everywhere else?

Yes, and guess what: you're wrong.
My family is much more familiar with SM than Aquaman.
You're so embarassing jfc.

What's literacy got to do with it?

If you'd said laziness, that would've been more to the point.

>tfw not autistic and can juggle several different pastimes easily because none take up more than 6-8 hours a week, individually
Feels good

Manga sales worldwide show what you said is wrong.

Good thing OP didn't specify that they must be popular outside their country of publication.

>My family is much more familiar with SM than Aquaman.

That means that more people know about SM than Aquaman!

retarded as hell and fuck your family, I bet that they only know about SM because you pester them with it

More likely they know about Sailor Moon because it aired around the world for years.

Are you saying the manga listed by OP is actually shit? I'm barely into Sup Forums and even I'm pretty sure that's bullshit...

>tries to win the argument with anecdotal evidence
>it backfires onto his dumb face
>pretends he never asked it in the first place

You're retarded.
I mean in the clinical sense, two-digits IQ and all.
Please spare the rest of us from your retarded tantrums in the future.

Specifically in the USA, Aquaman is far better known than Sailor Moon, but I would wager Sailor Moon is better-liked. Aquaman is nothing but a joke to most normies.

While it's true that Japan have overcomed many hardships thanks to its attitude of stop complaining and work harder, at the same time that attitude kinda made them lost their mind. Never discussing their problems and blaming themselves for everything make nips to literally die for overwork

that's because your work place is Sup Forums you fucking neet

Yeah in the 90s to early 2000s watched by kids. Older people wouldn't know that shit. Unless that poster is like a 12 year old with very young parents.

Funny thing is those manga are popular outside their country of publication, much more than american comics are. Europe alone is worth $250 million in manga sales annually.

fuck off weebs

>Are you saying the manga listed by OP is actually shit?
I'm not sure how I'm to inform you of what I was saying, seeing how your mind reinterprets information.

Indeed. I was just pointing out that, even if they were only successful in Japan, OP didn't mention international popularity.

Oh shit, I even thought about the SNES fighters, but I forgot one of those had a legit North American release. Those games were surprisingly alright.

>ALWAYS with assistants, Japanese mangaka can't work for shit if they don't have like 3 other guys drawing most of their stuff for them
If a publisher provides you assistants, it means you work for said publisher. To be employed by a publisher on your first manga, you need to applied to a contest. This means you have to make a 20-30 pages long manga. On your own, no assistant (maybe with the help of some friends.)

tl;dr: to work with assistants, you need first to show that you can do it alone to your publisher.

For me the weirdest thing is how socially conservative mangas written by women can be despite female mangakas are working women on an enviroment dominated by men. It's like they feel guilt for having a work.

The reason why most female creators in Western countries(mainly US) can't make decent shit is their feeling obligated to force a "girl power" or other social/political message.
Also the idea that "I'm X I must write stories with X people in theme." which no matter the person I feel is retarded and binding your own creativity.

this, watching dorky shit while also being atletic is not that hard.

I even stopped eating junk food, the closest I get to that is eating cheese and eggs as part of my diet and still using too much of that not-sugar thing.

good thing that the point still stands and that shit is not popular outside their country of origin.

that and most of those titles are 20 year old or even more.

then let's compare box office numbers that take into account every single country, including the states and japan

DBZ Fukatsu no F: About 30 million at the World Wide box office.

Man of steel: About 750 million or more at the WW box office.

It even made more money in Japan than any anime movie

(You)