Ultra Comics

So the whole thing is a corrupted time loop, but what happened to his eye?

Other urls found in this thread:

ie.ign.com/articles/2015/10/21/grant-morrison-on-finishing-multiversity-and-whats-next-at-dc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Visible indicator of corruption

>So the whole thing is a corrupted time loop
Only if you start reading the issue again.

hes a ghoul

The narrative is tailored toward multiple reads

Is the Ultra in the beginning of the comic from when he went into the past to revert his age, or did Ultra again go into the past when he was being overtaken by Intellectron?

Yes, user...that's right...come back to the Oblivion Machine...

What did the Neighbourhood Watch and the adults all named Ultra mean? I enjoyed the story but I'm kind of new to Morrison

I didn't get this.

Both.
The opening sequence is designed to do double duty. It's a physical location within the comic that the reader can freely flip back to. Remember that Ultra IS the book - midway through the book, Ultra restores himself by physically going back to his own opening sequence, then returning to where he left off.
Likewise, whenever you go back to the start of the book after the ending, that also functions as Ultra transporting back to the past after Intellectron's attack.

The Gentry represent bad ideas correct? Which is why criticism weakened its power?

they represent stagnation

Yes. The Gentry represent the absolute worst of the negative concepts they embody. They also embody villainous archetypes taken to their absolute limit, so things that go against the things they specifically embody weakens and degrades them

Because Ultra and the reader are connected, his eye is the same as ours. He sees the infection

What did Grant mean by this? What is Ultra guilty of?

Its a 2d character being able to see in 3d (red/blue eyes: red/blue glasses) and therefore see the reader, but its not a peasant or natural thing as shown by the fact the eye is red from bleeding.

Can someone answer this

being good?

Mutant JLA = A-listers who never go away
Kids = kid and teen characters who were forgotten/killed (cf. Teen Titans)
Ultras = previous attempts to "break the mold" with superhero concepts

Whoa. When did GMo write Captain Marvel?

The crime of being a hero.

The Gentry villains represent Grant Morrison's attempt at being "woke".

Cf. The disturbingly often amount of times when recent super-hero comics deal with "gentrification".

In theory the Gentry represent negativity and stagnation. This is ironic because Morrison's "big superhero concept" ideas have been on cruise-control for 20 years now, and his attempt at doing something bigger and deeper than Final Crisis just amounted to screaming about how the amorphous cosmic concept villains were somehow "more evil".

Elaborating:
It seems to an attack on the practice of creating (or reviving) a character for an event then fucking that character over.
Ultra Comics is a stand-in for Alexander Luthor, Earth-Two Supes, Superboy-Prime, Chaos, Pariah, and all the 90s z-listers used as fodder. He (and they) are placed by the meme engineers (execs, editors, and writers) into a no-win hell (the pocket universe with Intellectron but also the Crises and events).
And in a way the reader is the real villain because once the story's done he doesn't care about Ultra et al

I'd like to find out why Morrison put the Hellboy analogue on Ultimate Marvel earth instead of something like Earth 13.

He looks identical to captain marvel

I've been playing with the idea that the likes of Captain Marvel, Shazam, Adam Warlock, Beta Ray Bill, and others like them, are a special kind of comic book hero. A lot of them share attributes, like associations with lightning bolts, and are pretty much all revered universally by other heroes and readers alike. And let's not forget, had it not been for DC suing Fawcett, Shazam (Captain Marvel) may have actually become the more popular character over Superman. Another common trend with those characters is that they're considered champions of some kind. Shazam is the mightiest mortal, Warlock's the perfect man, Mar-Vell is the ultimate warrior, Beta Ray Bill is the champion of the Korbinites (and bested the God of Thunder in combat).
I dunno, it's just shit I've been thinking about lately.

His design is intended to be generic. Which speaks volumes about Carol's current outfit with that comparison.

Bringing the Gentry into our brains.

>Implying that they aren't here already.
Yu poor fool.

No, the whole point was that Ultra Comics was a trap. What was the line, where he's talking about how we guard our houses, our e-mails, our money, but we've just let him right into our heads? He was an unwitting accomplice.

So was Overman definitely the traitor or was he just played a sucker?

I've read Final Night, Final Crisis, Flashpoint, Crisis on infinite earths, and infinite crisis. What else do I need to read to understand Multiversity?

The latter. Lord Broken was using his guilt and regret over how he forged his "utopia" in order to shatter his will so that he could unlock the "door" for the rest of the Gentry, so to speak.

Both. He aided the Freedom Fighters out of guilt but didnt realise they were planning to strike at Metropolis.

They represent different types of "negative" readers; people who apply "realism" to comics in the form of edgy grittiness, people who fight against the ever-evolving nature of superhero mythos, people who get hung up on unanswerable questions like "how does Superman' s flight work" and so on. They want to change the universes to be more palatable to themselves.

Multiversity stands on its own, but Watchmen would be a good idea so you can compare and contrast with Pax Americana.

Just noticed the "jury of his own peers" is a bunch of genocidal tyrants.

>anime-inspired cartoon
>has awful fight scenes that clash horribly with most of its themes
Checks out!

Good I've read that and watched the movie

It helps if you have passing familiarity with the legacy characters of the 90s, also. For The Just.

He didn't have a good enough lawyer. Should have asked Daniel Webster.

>did you ever notice that sometimes you spend too much time reading comic books? Try to do that a little less, if you can.
>especially if you're reading Morrison books, otherwise you might notice he's a one trick pony that has been stretching the same idea out over decades

I don't get it

comics are good but being an obsessed fanboy is bad, you can go outside sometimes

I wish I was high.

>comic tells me to turn the page
>put it down immediately
>read the rest of it with scans
Your powers are weak old man.

>obsessed fanboy is bad
Why comics keep doing this, those people are 75% of the current public

Because it's not healthy for you.

I keep this shitty medium alive, show me some goddamn respect

He's not telling you not to read comics, he's telling you to to outside sometime. Gamble a stamp, son. I can show you how to be a real man!

Congrats, whale

Then comics like these are your fault. If you didn't pay for garbage, they wouldn't be able to get away with putting out garbage.

Every page I see of this somehow makes me want to read it less.

That's fine user. Most people can't really get into the Crisis-tier events anyway.

If you keep adding to it, is it really the same idea?

>actually thinking a screen is enough to protect you from a sentient idea

Not showing you respect would be allowing you to continue wallowing in your own miserable filth. Show yourself some respect.

KEEP SCROLLING, SLAVE

So he's visually based on Captain Triumph and Superman, right?

I took the Neighborhood Watch and associated content as being a representation of recycled concepts that never go away. The "you can help too, kids!" groups like the Newsboy Legion mixed with the generic "those children are street urchins, warped into helping the villains!" cliche that never dies. Just like the cube of plot convenience whose actual function doesn't fucking matter.

>eye

Why wouldn't you post the golden and silver ages?

Thunderer is the most interesting character to come out of DC in years.

He just works

Nice! Carol Danvers Captain Marvel!

Empty Hand is the reader. Morrison has made that clear.

>Always I've thought, and particularly now in the era of event-driven comics where characters are subjected to these absolutely life-ruining events in every story arc, I wanted to sum up what all these stories are. It's where the characters get to the end and they appear to have beaten the bad guy, and then an even bigger bad guy shows up and says, "I'll get you later." The real big bad guy at the end - he looks like the Ultra Comics character, but he's also the reader. The empty hand of the reader when he puts the comic down and everything ends. But like the bad guy, he can also come back in full force and say, "You'll meet me again."

ie.ign.com/articles/2015/10/21/grant-morrison-on-finishing-multiversity-and-whats-next-at-dc

Action Comics 9 of the Morrison run is basically Multiversity Chapter 0, re-introduces President Superman and the Transmatter Symphonic Array.

How sad that he's the last of his world, and everyone he knew is either very dead, or suffering a fate much, much worse than death.