What's the Sup Forumsnsensus?

I was so hyped when I heard DC was doing a Watchmen sequel. What do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You'll get as many different awnsers as there are posters.

Personally I think it was ok. Infinitely more interested in what they'll do with the Superman parts than the Watchmen parts which wont live up to the original.

Mediocre to average.
Anyone who say otherwise is either a Johnscuck or a Moorecuck

I'll judge it when there's more than one issue.

God this is going to take a whole year to come out.

anyone else ever notice the similarities between doctor manhattan and amazo?

I liked it. Die hard Watchmen fans seem to hate it, but seeing months of build up of Manhattan fuck things up in the DCU finally being answered is very exciting, plus seeing old characters again is nice as well. We'll have to see more issues though to fully judge.

Like this and watchmen. Don't care about the Prequals.

I thought it was just fine. It wasn't like spectacular or anything, but I thought it was pretty middle of the road so far.

I mildly enjoyed myself.

This

On a conceptual level I don't mind DC continuing to flesh out the Watchmen universe, even though I think that the original series stands fine on its own.

Whether I think Johns is capable of doing a good job with it is a different matter that I won't comment on.

I know it's a meme to compare the situation of Watchmen with that of LOEG but on a fundamental level they are similar. They are both essentially just "fanfiction" continuing stories that were already finished without the consent of the original author, allowed simply because the party making them have a legal right to do so.

Another comparison would be that you have many writers and artists who have done relatively groundbreaking work on characters owned by Marvel, DC or others, only for future creators to turn in lackluster or bad work with the same characters.

I believe Moore was screwed by DC and is within his rights to be bitter about it, but modern DC are not doing anything more creatively bankrupt than the constant use of other corporate characters like Batman by continuing to squeeze money and stories out of Watchmen.

The issues of creator's rights is entirely separate from the one of modern creative bankruptcy and leaning on nostalgia and fanboy targeted content.

>I was so hyped when I heard DC was doing a Watchmen sequel

Go kill yourself.

>You'll get as many different awnsers as there are posters.

From retards = it's ok
From normal people = it's shit

Felt like someone trying to ape the way the original was written and just not quite getting there. Robert Redford dooming the world because he couldn't keep his mouth shut was kinda funny in a cosmic sort of way I suppose

>normies...yay

>retards on here...not muh.

if watchmen can be desecrated than before watchmen already did it.

and this has more intrigue than that did.

>I'll judge it when there's more than one issue.

You faggots said the same thing when Johns was shitting the bed with the new gods.

It's good so far. Nothing that blows me away. I wouldn't pay $5 for it but it's going to make DC a shit ton of money.

I don't get why this bugs people, especially in a universe already vastly different from our own from Vietnam on.

One where a manufactured psychic giant squid alien blew up all of New York City and Doctor Manhattan was a living God to deter the Soviets.

I'm gonna put this in both active DClock threads since I don't wanna clog the catalogue, but someone online pointed out that Ozy has a prosthetic hand in Doomsday Clock, that can be clearly seen despite the heavy feathering of the detail.

Other people pointed out that the hand is even in Watchmen (pic related), though it's harder to see because of the colouring.

Amazo in JLU is more Silver Surfer than Manhattan.

>believe Moore was screwed by DC and is within his rights to be bitter about it
How was he screwed by DC? He was a work for hire? If it's the rights issue bullshit then what? Moore wasn't going to use them anywhere else.

Besides, it's nice to see what Moore thought was an okay ending that would work actual turn out to be completely fucking stupid and discovered.

Doesn't matter, Johns always shits the bed in the finale anyways

>try to make fun of "retards" while typing like an actual retard

Wonder if it'll play any part in the following issues

it's a bit shit

wasn't a fan of how Johns made Ozy aware of the irony in his own name then spelled out said irony for the reader

Johns is a sublte as a bag of bricks thrown into a glass house.

>t's nice to see what Moore thought was an okay ending that would work actual turn out to be completely fucking stupid and discovered.

Wasn't the whole point of having Rorschach send his jounal to the press to keep the ending ambiguous? Moore wouldn't have put that in if he thought the plan was foolproof.

Johns writes for retards and Reddit

I like it. I'm interested to see where it goes.

It's soulless garbage, and anyone who says it in any way stands up to the original, is either shitposting or a literal brainlet.

Look out it's the no fun police.

>Caught the bullet with his robot hand

O H
S H I T.

Wow, I never noticed this at all. That explains the bullet catch very nicely.

>m-muh fun!!!
Look out, it's the brainlet's favorite meaningless buzzword.

Do we know how he lost his hand?

And that's why this board loves him.

It's brainlets m8. People that believes it doesnt matter that johns doesnt know shit about politics as long as the story is "fun", it's just braindead morons that think Watchmen was just about 3x3 grids, "realism" and deconstructions.

Johns is a fucking terrible writer, incapable of creating anything original, or remotely interesting
the only people curious about the Doomsday Clock are barely literate and probably voted for Trump

probably from trying to catch a bullet

Fisting someone

Explains what?

It just means that he isnt peak human.

It's already shown it wasn't foolproof when we could see the Newspaper guy still hated Russians and didn't trust them one bit. The seeds of future conlfict were already there, Ozy's plan wasn't as successful as he thought.

Surprisingly Black Rorschach was the best part. He's not perfect or badass everyone treats him like an amusement while he's pouting in the corner say "I-I.. am Rorschach....."
They treat him like a weird autist just like they treated ginger Rorschach like a weird autist.

>he seeds of future conlfict were already there

What conflict. That's the fucking problem, Johns doesnt know shit about geopolitics and his conflict was just nthe russians being bullies (towards their puppet state?) and for some reason North Korea being aggressive, of course, america is innocent.

Not defending Johns but saying that Moore's ending was obviously ambiguous, and it's not some stroke of Johns genius to figure that out.

No I didn't because I only started reading comics like a month ago as a byproduct of browsing this board for the cartoons

>and it's not some stroke of Johns genius to figure that out.

The problem is that the international conflict is empy, i doubt johns gave it more than half an hour. Moore developed a theory of how events would had been played between the minutemen era to 1986, Johns wasnt capable of doing the same between the 86 and 1992. Russians are bad and north koreans are bad, and the president of murrika is playing golf and make america safe again...

It's like making a sequel to V from vendetta and making it about BLM and sjw bloggers.

Then enjoy the event. You are virgin and enjoying bad comics is one of the best things you can do. You should try to read Red hulk, civil war and identity crisis and hush in general those are bad comics, but for newer readers those are highly enjoyble.

Ha, really? I didn't even bother to read it since it's not only a Watchmen sequel, but a Johns comic.

>How was he screwed by DC?
The contract he signed for Watchmen stated that if Watchmen went unpublished for a certain amount of time then the rights would revert to him. Also, that DC wouldn't be able to make any sequels to it.

Moore, still being a bit young and naive at the time having not been burned by the Big 2 yet at this point in his career, accepted the deal because he was under the impression that he would get the rights back in the future. Afterall, this was before trades became common-place so the idea of a book getting reprinted over and over was abnormal at the time.

Since then, Watchmen has been in CONSTANT print. There is never a time where DC isn't selling new Watchmen trades, new versions of Watchmen, deluxe, absolute, the upcoming super collectors edition, the whole shebang. Effectively, Moore will never get the rights back because DC will never stop selling Watchmen since there will never be a time where everyone in the world has a copy and it, to this day, is consistently one of DC's top 3 highest selling books month to month.

So, that aside, we come to the sequel issue. Well, BEFORE Watchmen was a prequel. Doomsday Clock isn't a sequel, it's a DC event that uses Watchmen characters (as opposed to "Watchmen II"). Of course, at this point, Moore doesn't give a fuck anymore and doesn't even want the rights back, but the point still stands that while DC hasn't actually done anything wrong (everything they've done is perfectly in-line with the contract that Moore signed and he knows it), if Moore knew that this is how things would go down then he never would have signed that contract.

It ultimately doesn't matter and what's done is done. I think any moral grandstanding over Watchmen derivative content was worn out with BW and at this point, there's no new arguments to levy and there's clearly an audience that wants this.

My problem isn't a moral one. It's just that the first issue was extremely mediocre and I doubt Johns will deliver.

weird how Veidt just picks up then guy and proceeds to smash his face in with that pharaoh bust.

has to be some significance to that.

Completely disagree, the new Rorschach is the weakest part of the book. It comes off unoriginal in every way. All Johns did was make the complete opposite of the original. Old: hyper violent white conservative vigilanti. New: mild black liberal henchman.

>something is shitty
>S-shut up! It's fun!
Saying something is fun is meaningless because the definition of fun is inherently subjective to each individual's taste. The Room is fun to watch, it's still a really shitty film.

They made JLU Amazon into Dr. Manhattan like they made Question Rorschach

Holy fucking shit I never knew! This fucking comic, man.

>It's just that the first issue was extremely mediocre and I doubt Johns will deliver.

I wasn't big on the idea of a Watchmen sequel (sure, you can claim it isn't really - but come on, it is) but I thought it was one of the best issues I've read this year. There's some clangers in it ("undeplorables" made me groan) but it made me really want to read the next issue, and I haven't been able to say that about a new #1 in ages.

It could all still turn to shit in the next 11 issues though.

This. This very much. I haven't been looking forward to new issues of a new comic all year. I'm willing to give it a chance.

>It's like making a sequel to V from vendetta and making it about BLM and sjw bloggers
Guess we got a new project lined up for Johns when Doomsday makes a killing

>mild
>liberal

There's no evidence for that yet. He might just be hiding his crazy levels better than Walter for now.

My god

holy shit. ill give goeff johns brownie points for noticing this.

>bait the thread.

Agreed, and with the Button I was looking forward to it. That said, Geoff Johns has a bad track record with Batman and a mixed one with Superman.

Those fucks hate everything. Alan Moore wrote a good limited series and they put it on a goddamn pedestal.

On second thought...

Uhhhh if Watchmen takes place in the DC universe why is Dr. Manhattan unique for being a "real" superhero.

Yeah it's a bunk idea. That's the only panel that looks like a prosthetic in watchmen and can be explained as a leftover line by Gibbons. No where else does his hand look robotic, plastic, fake etc.

Are you an idiot?

From Batman #602. What did Brubaker mean by this?

I know fuck all about this new comic but I see superman there you ass, what else is going on?

Christ, Gary Frank's art looks like shit in Watchmen layout

>but seeing months of build up of Manhattan fuck things up in the DCU finally being answered is very exciting

You say that like Manhattan fucking up the DCU was a good idea to begin with

Oh look! Superman is turning into watches! It's like he's become some kind of... Watchman!

redford is a stand in for trump.

Watchmen is my favorite comic.

Doomsday clock so far is pretty good, nothing amazing, and of course I'm not expecting it to be as good as the classic. It was just nice to see what finally happens after Rorschach's journal was found.

Sure feels good not to hate everything.

It's a laughably sophomoric attempt by Johns to imitate Alan Moore's writing style. Kind of pathetic. He doesn't have the writing chops and it comes off as if Michael Bay tried to direct a Bergman movie.
The heavy-handed attempts to jab at Trump and the fictional political crisis are juvenile echoes of Moore capturing the essence of Cold War and the terror of a nuclear apocalypse within arm's reach.
It's also astoundingly simple to see where the story goes; here's a Rorschach-but-not-really (probably a DC character in disguise). Here's a "Watchmen universe Joker and Harley". Manhattan will be presented as Superman's counterpart, though the characters are nothing alike; Ozymandias will get bald from cancer treatment so we don't have any doubts he is a "Watchmen Lex Luthor". They even gave him Lex face.
It's a shameful display. Of course Silk Spectre and Nite Owl will be presented as "Watchmen Wonder Woman and Batman", it's that boring and easy to predict.

Not worth the wait in the slightest.

Watchmen was that once in a lifetime 10/10 comic that got absolutely everything right and elevated the artform. Doomsday Clock seems like it's a good like 8/10. Like, it's a good comic, and this level of quality on an X-Men book would be delightful, but the gulf which exists between it and Watchmen is hard to ignore. It just has such a high bar to clear that even being "really good" feels like a failure.

I'm trying to just enjoy it for what it is rather than damning it for what it's not.

I considers Doosmday Clock a non-canon fanfiction.
Just can't imagine the utility of introducing classic DC capeshit characters on it, it doesn't make any sense.
What the utility of Superman on this for solving issues? fighting against Dr Manhattan? what the fucking damn interest?
why do you need Batman when you have already some guy playing Rorschach again? why somebody is replaying Rorschach when the hoax of Ozymandias was discovered anyway? why wanting to kill him when he will die of a cancer anyway? why Lex Luthor want to fuck up a world already fucked up?

As a Johns comic it's much better than the garbage he's been lately putting out. As a Watchmen comic its existence isn't needed.

WatchmeX is better.

The first issue is just as good as first issue of Watchmen, if not better. Johns was the perfect writer to write a Watchmen sequel.

There's literally only one issue. It's hard to grasp the overall quality. I personally found it interesting, but some people really dislike it because they're either Watchmen fans who believe the original is sacred and should never be touched, or because they're Sup Forums jr. And got upset at the Trump parodies in the first few pages.

Shit, i'll bite

>Attempt by Johns to imitate Moore's writing style + jabs at Trump
This is the only part I'm going to have to agree with you on here, it did seem in somwhat bad taste. Though I don't think it was a direct insult at trump, more an analogy of widespread propaganda and the public's reaction to government, we'll have to see how it plays out though.
>Rorschach (Probably a DC character in disguise).
I doubt it, he reacted nostalgically to seeing Archie, chances are he's Hooded Justice. The only possible survivor of the Minutemen and only living Watchmen character who could be black.
>Here's a Watchmen Joker&Harley
Try Punch&Jewlee. The Comedian already filled the Joker's role.
>Manhattan and Superman are nothing alike
Manhattan is man who became god and lost his humanity. Superman is pretty much a godlike alien who is more human than most humans. You don't see the contrast?
>Ozymandias/Lex parallels
I don't see it at all.
>NiteOwl/Silk Spectre are Batman/Wonderwoman.
Sure if batman is an aging flabby dude trying to live a normal life, and if Wonder Wiman was an emotionally unstable whore.

>Though I don't think it was a direct insult at trump, more an analogy of widespread propaganda

You have a make america safe again guym you have redford playing golf. Johns is too retarded to do an anology about propaganda. Especially when the imbecile starts the comic telling us that Russia and North Korea are mean.

Yeah, it surely has nothing to do with Johns very limited writing skills being put in the spotlight by him trying to follow up somebody like Moore.

Holy shit hahahahahahahahaha

It's good. The only people who will tell you differently are those who hold the original Watchmen as some kind of sacred cow that should never ever be touched by mortal hands.

>It's hard to grasp the overall quality.

Only if you are retarded. And for the record, i'm mad that Johns used Trump because how light and shallow his grasp in politics are, given the year he should be, in the spirit of watchmen, focusing on Neoliberalism. But of course, Johns is too retarded to do that.

>Doomsday Clock seems like it's a good like 8/10

Since when videogames and comics have so low standards??

>, chances are he's Hooded Justice.
ill bite too. Hooded Justice was white.
>Manhattan is man who became god and lost his humanity. Superman is pretty much a godlike alien who is more human than most humans. You don't see the contrast?
There is a contrast, but the Doomsday Clock will draw a parallel just because both of them have immense power, even if Manhattan's power is infinite times larger and the whole point of the character was to show how that kind of power would disconnect the human mind from human affairs, while Superman uses his smaller (yet, relatively to his friends, incredible) powers to fight for an everyman.

My SS/NO as WW/Batman prediction is based not on the similarities between them, but on Johns being a fucking hack who is retarded enough to make this parallel only because SS is a female associate of Manhattan and Nite Owl II is the male associate with gadgets centered around a nocturnal animal and there's all this love triangle situation reminiscent of Trinity shipfag wars.

I'll certainly have to reread it, I was under the impression the Russia and Korea stuff were American made propaganda.

The golf part was said right after they mentioned the Vice president holding people hostage in the white house, I saw the golf as more an excuse for him to feign ignorance, and a laugh at the fact the news would even care about his golf score during this crisis.

The sign I made the connection but even Moore played on stereotypical nationalism and "the american dream"

If anything the only thing I did take as a direct reference was the news saying that Americans are jumping over the wall to Mexico. That's clearly a Trump joke.

>Hooded Justice is white.
Shit got me there. A DC character being there somehow would really suck. Only black characters I can think of died in the Squid explosion. Having it be Malcolm would've been cool if he didn't die.

I really hope he doesn't pull a Mortal Kombat VS. DC type these characters are parallel thing.

dubs for Carlos Ramon

>Personally I think it was ok. Infinitely more interested in what they'll do with the Superman parts than the Watchmen parts which wont live up to the original.

I second this.

No, Redford is a stand in for Reagan. It's on the last few pages of Watchmen, they mention him being an ex actor

I think it's just another example of the symmetry that's so important to that issue. You get the goon's face as a reflection of the pharaoh in the middle panel and then when he smashes his face into it I guess they're kinda reflecting each other

Nothing will ever top WatchmeX. Or Rob Liefeld's Watchmen.

>Hooded Justice
He was a German guy named Rolf Müller that was probably killed off by the Comedian unless you consider Before Watchmen canon (why would anyone?) then he's probably just some random German guy named Jacob.

youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

I honestly think this needs to be acknowledged as Official Endorsed Fan Art in the Watchmen canon. It is perfection, in every way.

On its own, it's okay. Nothing mind blowing. As a followup to Alan Moore, it's far too simple and cartoony.

Where Watchmen felt like a novel in comic form, Doomsday Clock feels like a cheesy movie taking itself seriously.

I don't suppose anyone might want to storytime the issue, would they