Superman: Secret Identity

With Creature of the Night coming out, let's read its predecessor

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/reflections-kurt-busiek-part-ii/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Creature of the Night
This is the first I've heard of it. Sounds like shit desu.

I like Busiek

So do I, I just don't really see a story in the vein of Secret Identity working for someone other than Superman.

I actually had an idea for a story like it a few years ago and started writing it. I'm wondering if Busiek's take will be similar. I don't know much about it.

Is being named clark kent really that bad?

People who have a name someone can make an obvious joke out of get endless shit for it, I can't even imagine someone with a name as famous as that

I have a friend named "Dallas" who as a kid got so much stupid shit from family members just because it had to do with the city

Secret Identity is one of the greatest Superman stories ever told.

I'm very eager for, and terrified of, Creature of the Night. It seems like it will be much, much darker than Secret Identity, and Busiek can hit home with that shit like a god damned truck.

Once years ago he mentioned the kernel of an idea for a Wonder Woman book. But I asked him about that at a con, and he has no plans. Oh well.

I still hope for an Absolute containing Secret Identity and Creature of the Night. (If it proves worthy of such treatment of course.) Named some variant on World's Finest I'm sure.

This is actually my first time reading it.

Also I've heard what Busiek's take on what he thinks Wondie's personality should be in an interview for Trinity and I really disagreed with him, so I wouldn't really want him on the character.

Got a link to that?

Anyway, I think Secret Identity did an amazing job of getting to the core of Clark's personality and metaphor. Just a normal guy dealing with life in big ways. But aside from that it's just great writing. So if he were to tackle Diana, he may get her wrong, but still write a great book. In a take where getting her wrong may seem to be part of the point, if you get my meaning.

Is this an alternate superman or what? I am not sure what universe this is in

cbr.com/reflections-kurt-busiek-part-ii/

He's very much in favor of the more warrior and mythology aspects of her being the focus, which as a big fan of WW I take issue with. But like you said he's a great writer so I'd give it a chance just for the story.

This was before Infinite Crisis so it's just an Elseworlds

It's inspired by Superboy Prime's first appearance.

It's not set in a reality we've ever seen before or since. It's "our world" with the comics, the movies, all of it. There's a kid named Clark Kent who gets made fun of for having a dorky comic book name, but he's just a normal kid. Except one day he gets the powers.

This is his life.

It's an excellent book that uses its odd angle to get to the heart of the idea of Superman as the everyman and the broader metaphors of his story.

>get superman's powers
>don't make a name for yourself and just use the superman name and costume
Come on son.

Sorry ma'am, but Clark knows who Martian Manhunter is, therefore he can't get laid.

yeah I agree he just went "guess i really am superman" instead of going out and making his own costume and stuff. But it kinda helps hide him, as people just wouldn't believe "literally superman" came to save them. If he had his own costume, it'd probably go differently

Would DC sue him for that?

Literally the point of why he uses the Superman name and look.

He knows, the same as actual Superman, that the look and costume are a disguise as far as they help him lead a normal life outside of it.

Imagine all the YouTube videos of shitty footage of Clark flying with spooky music and slowly fading title cards saying "WHAT IS THE GOVERMINT HIDING FROM US?/"

fucking really? they attack?

It was a setup!

Fun fact: Superman's powers weren't retconned to be from the sun until 1964 (IIRC)

I know some of you guys are reading for the first time, so spoilers for those who care:

I love this book so much, but the government clearly knowing something strange is afoot, and how broad things get in the epilogue sections feel like a huge undeveloped plot line. Like this is a short story taken from a whole novel series or something. But then again, that's all an individual life is, isn't it? One part of a larger story none of us ever fully recognize. So in that sense, it fits the book.

That or '62. One of those.

It's weird to think how Brainiac is essentially a Silver Age invention. A huge iconic Superman villain invented so late. Weird.

Isn't this Mewtwo's origin

I'm really glad Busiek had the sense to let the art speak for itself here without excessive narration

>I haven't left my apartment in four days
Literally me sometimes

what if this superman revealed himself and also did an expose on the gubmint for attacking/kidnapping him :thinking:

>It was just a training exercise

I don't see your issue with his take on Wonder Woman. I must admit I've never been a huge fan myself though.

He seems to be saying she's not a pacifist, but a "walk softly but carry a big stick" sort of figure. With an emphasis on stick use.

That seems about right to me. He doesn't turn her into a berserker when he uses her. Her analog in Astro City seems fairly spot on to me.

>hes a russian super spy trying to bring down ameriga@!!@@

We disagree on the fact that Wonder Woman isn't a pacifist. I dislike takes on her that focus on the warrior aspect.

I've gone into it at length in Wonder Woman threads so I'm going to talk about it too much here, but to me she represents an egalitarian ideal, not a utilitarian one.

I can understand his stance that that may not be the best direction for a superhero story, though.