Marvel's New EiC faked being Japanese to write comics

io9.gizmodo.com/marvels-new-editor-in-chief-just-admitted-that-he-used-1820809573

In my personal favourite bit of weeb news this week. It seems C.B Cebulski used to pretend to be a little Japanese boy who learned English growing up reading capeshit, and then came to America to write super-weeby capeshit like that Kitty Pride mini where she was a ninja.

>This week Cebulski, a white man, finally acknowledged the rumors about “Akira Yoshida” and admitted that he had, in fact, pretended to be someone that he is not. In a statement provided to Bleeding Cool’s Rich Johnston—who’d been following the story for some time—Cebulski explained that he created Yoshida out of a desire to pivot away from editing, a job he once held at Marvel, to writing full time. Said Cebulski:

>The admission comes after multiple insistences from people within Marvel that Yoshida was a real person who was not Cebulski. As Johnston points out, Cebulski himself went so far as to insist that he’d “seen” Yoshida within Marvel’s offices and at various conventions, but at no point did he make an effort to explain that he was speaking about himself.

The best part is that he used a typical comic-book writer way of naming himself.

>popular animu + the one Japanese X-Men = original

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/akira-yoshida-a-bullet-for-marvels-young-guns/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Guy pretending to be Japanese here. Ask me anything.

How's the job search coming?

Pretty ok. Use the fake name Akira Toriyama to get manga published.

Osho watari maste da orobo, fake-o-san?

>a white man

>Tumblr

Neil gaiman faked having expirence.

oh snap

In other news one of their old EICs faked being working age when he broke into comics.

okay. so what

He's also not gay but a straight man.

Breaking news!

New EiC is a fucking weaboo. More at 11!

Day of the Waifu when?

Marvel Insider here

This is a smear job by Heather Antos and Tom Brevoort BTW, calling in every favor they have to force C.B Cebulski before he kills the SJW death kult take-over of Marvel and makes Marvel great again.

Brevoort never liked C.B Cebulski and is pissed as fuck off that C.B got the job over him. And C.B. openly hates Heather and has told her to her face that she's part of the cancer that has killed the company.

Brevoort wants C.B. gone so he can make one last run at the throne. Anthos wants C.B. gone so she can make Mark Waid the new EIC and have him be her personal bitch boy hand-puppet, the same way Alonso was Brevoort's.

The SJW death kult really is scared shitless of C.B Cebulski and the changes he's going to make. And Heather Antos out on her fucking ass, as C.B. has made it clear that he finds her talentless ass the problem and doesn't want her having ANY power in the company as long as he can help it.

Who hasn't faked a resume to get a job? Almost nobody concocts an elaborate fake identity just to commit fraud inside the very company they are already working for.

And their top Spider-Man writer lied about being in college to get an internship there.

>fraud

wait what

At this point, I don't feel any sympathy for Marvel. They're eating each other and they have only themselves to blame.

This isn't like a cutsey nickname he wrote under but actually a pretty shady example of cronyism where C.B. used a false identity to get a job that he wasn't even supposed to have.

BASED?!

So uh..
..Am I supposed to be outraged or is this just a cute anecdote?

Cause I feel like i'm supposed to be stunned but it's just like, a neat anecdote and nothing more, "hey aren't comics weird?"

has anyone ever took a single look at this fat fuck and thought "yeah this guy is japanese alright"

>U N D E R R A T E D
>N
>D
>E
>R
>R
>A
>T
>E
>D

He didn't use a fake name. Nobody at Marvel knew Akira Yoshida wasn't a real person. He literally lied to Marvel, while he was already working for Marvel as an editor, that he was a Japanese guy who writes comics. There was also a company policy that you couldn't write comics if you were an editor, which he blatantly broke and kept the sham going for over a year and people inside Marvel only found about it later, after the fact, that he had been scamming them.

N-NANI

>giving Gawker-now-Univision clicks
You moron.

It's not a cute anecdote as C.B. cebulski used to rat oyt freelance talent to Marvel, basically baiting them with fake job offers from the distinguished competition and get them fired but all the while using a fake identity to get work that would've rightly gone to someone else.

cool fan fiction bro

A creator at Marvel using a pen name that masked their ethnicity?!
Jack Kirby and Stan Lee would be shocked!

nobody tell the liberals that David Wong is actually Jason Pargin

Such a goonery, I’m envious.

Again, that's not what happened, nor what people have an issue with. That's a gross and inaccurate oversimplification of what Cebulski did.

Almost as bad a Liz 'POCAHONTAS' Warren

This would make too much sense. No real human could drink as much as Toriyama

So SJWs are outraged because "Cultural appropriation" while Sup Forums laughs because "FUCKING WEEABOO".

No, she's Phocahontas

So is this a potential lawsuit?

Were his comics any good? I don't read Marvel

SJWs are laughing at "Fucking Weeaboo" too

Funny thing is SJWs and people on Sup Forums have similar senses of humor

sounds legit

OMFG! HOW TERRIFYING!

>gizmodo

apparently the thor book he did was ok and the rest were trash

You mean, Cebulski raped the nanking?

Not at all. You couldn't be further from the truth, even if you wanted. Also, sjws will be the first to be hanged

Kitty Pryde was decent because Paul Smith art makes anything awesome.

>And as to the Akira Yoshida that Marvel people had met, including his bosses, that was a Japanese translator who had visited the offices – and yes, who had had lunch with Mike Marts – and who was mistakenly identified as Akira Yoshida. So everyone remembered having met him – even though they never did.
this is not a "cute prank"

It's certainly isn't great behavior for the new editor in chief to have.

>it's a gringos sperging out at inane shit episode

yeah seriously, this is more than just "let me american-ize my name to make it easier for my shit to sell" the way stan and jack did it. dude literally lied about his identity to multiple publishers, used it to circumvent company policy, and went FULL WEEB and made himself japanese all the same time. he even had a japanese translator pose as "akira yoshida" to keep up the whole act according to BC.

He's white, so that means it's okay.

Ow yeah, he was a very naughty gaijin. Go and spank him, real hard

Well the truth is that this isn't an a case of SJW being outraged over nothing. This guy is a liar who has no qualms about doing unethical shit if it benefits him.

And? Should I feel outraged? Because I feel fucking nothing.

>To begin with, Yoshida grew up in Japan reading manga. Since his father was in international business, he spent parts of his childhood living in the U.S. where he learned English by reading superhero comics and watching TV and movies. As a child, the writer said he always wanted to work in either the Japanese manga or American comics industry. Fortunately, he’s had the privilege of doing both as an adult.

>Yoshida started his career in editorial at a small Japanese comic publisher named Fujimi Shobo. It was there that he got to meet writers and manga artists like Ryo Mizuno (“Record of Lodoss War”) and Kia Asamiya (“Silent Mobius”). The company was eventually bought out by a larger publisher, but the contacts Yoshida made proved helpful.

>In 2002, he joined Asamiya at a few U.S. conventions and Asamiya was nice enough to introduce Yoshida to some of the American editors he was working with at the time. About a year later, Pat Lee and the Dreamwave team asked him to write a “Darkstalkers” comic series for them. This was never published, but fortunately an opportunity to work on a Hellboy story with Asamiya followed that. Around this same time, Marvel contacted him to pitch for them too. This led to his first series at Marvel, “Thor: Son of Asgard.”

HOLY SHIT!

cbr.com/akira-yoshida-a-bullet-for-marvels-young-guns/

Did he/someone purposefully misidentify the translator, or did someone just confuse the two names ("all asian names sound the same!") and nobody questioned/correct it?

>inane shit
Eh? This shit may sound cute but
The reality is a little more disturbing.

Try contacting Fujimi Shobo, Ryo Mizuno, and/or Kia Asamiya in light of this and see what happens.

The issue isn't the cultural appropriation and insensitivity nonsense that liberal outlets will screech about, it's the fact that he out and out revealed he defrauded his company in order to circumvent regulations, and not only retained his job but his promotion owing to the fact his superiors liked him and didn't want to enact their written policies against him. It effectively proves that regulations are not applied equally and goes against the basic concepts of corporate ethics - at least the seemliness and illusion of fairness is necessary if you expect the proles to continue their labor. This could potentially open up Marvel to civil suits by employee's who feel that they were denied advancement by this act, or by freelancers who lost out script bids because a non-person got them. Furthermore it's tantamount to admitting he defrauded Marvel of money by receiving both the pay of his existing job and as a script writer - again, explicitly against company regulations. By all rights, he should be stone dead and out the door, do not pass go, do not collect $100 dollars.

Even if you don't care about any of that, it makes Marvel look like a bunch of immature, unprofessional monkeys who can't cop it with the big boys because they're a bunch of stupid kids writing stupid comic books, which holds back the industry as well as the perception of it both among the public and the business world.

Yup, it's the most disturbing thing I have ever seen in my entire life. It's so disturbing that I will not be capable to sleep this night

>I feel fucking nothing
Nobody cares about what you feel. What you feel is irrelevant to the facts and the fact is that what C.B. did was wrong.

Yes, and? What's the point of this thread?

D I S T U R B I N G.

He purposefully let people think that Akira Yoshida was a real person.

And he succeeded. Pretty admirable, albeit marvel were always bunch of stupid fucks

Bob Kane changed his name and had cosmetic surgery to deny he was Jewish.

Cebulski used a pen name for a year to segue into a writing career.

>What's the point of this thread?
To talk about it. I'm sorry this isn't some rando from twitter but the new Marvel EIC has just been outed as a fraud.

Bob Kane was jewish? Fucking shit, now that's an outrage

still isn't really special. celbuski lied, but people didn't exactly die.

well, maybe a couple strokes from how shit his comics where.

Shooter has a couple anecdotes like this in his blog. Harmless schemes that could have gone major perpetrated by the bullpen

>it makes Marvel look like a bunch of immature, unprofessional monkeys who can't cop it with the big boys because they're a bunch of stupid kids writing stupid comic books, which holds back the industry as well as the perception of it both among the public and the business world.

That ship has sailed. They ALREADY are what you just described, with their unprofessional behaviour IRL AND on social media . All this does is add to the pile.

>he succeeded
Well no because he got caught and now will face the consequences.

Fuck off Rich, Amanat will not be an EIC.

A slap on the wrist that's a major promotion.

It seems that I didn't have a full picture ofhow many shitty comics Cebulski wrote.

Will he, gasp, be defenestrated?

>still isn't very special
Well it's newsworthy so deal with it. People are gonna be talking about this and more threads will pop up with developments.

Hey look, false outrage ignited with the sole purpose of giving the virtue signaling dullards behind it another feather to fit in their cap.

Seriously show me one (1) Japanese person actually mad about this. You can't.

I swear to god if the only thing marketable you have as a person is a propensity to act outraged over a perceived injustice on behalf of a cultural group that very likely(knowing the Japanese) doesn't give a fuck, then you should be taken out back and shot for the good of society because you clearly aren't going to provide anything useful to it.

Yes, and then it will die a natural death

dude let's not even bring bob kane into this, the guy was legit psycho. he wanted to BE bruce wayne ok, he had some screws loose in his head.

and again it's not a pen name if you're assuming a double identity, working in the same company as an editor and a writer.

>Well it's newsworthy so deal with it.
it's only newsworthy because gringos think white people aren't allowed to relate to other cultures. It's literally an excuse to cash in on outrage culture.

if celbuski pretended to be some europoor literally nobody would care

see You aren't fooling anyone.

I hope Priest comes out and talks about "Jim Owlsey" again and how this is incredibly common in comics and writing in general

It's rich johnston trying to stir shit like usual

>double identity
Just like my superheroes

It was not a "pen name." It was clear case of fraud because he claimed to be an entirely different person and seemingly might have orchestrated a situation where people at Marvel were falsely led to believe that the Japanese guy visiting the offices was actually the guy Cebulski was secretly pretending to be.

It's newsworthy because the guy literally committed fucking fraud at the very company that he is now being made the EIC of.

okay, calm down your shilling autism

people seem to be more mad about the fact that he technically committed a crime

I like how people are on board with this just because the SJWs aren't. Like if it was one of the eriters you see as SJW (and Cebulski is absolutely an SJW anyway) you would be going nuts.

Wow, people bought that background.

Previously, Marvels sticky nonsense has always been the antics of writers and creative types. Even their incredibly stupid Northrop Grumman stunt could be binned in the "poor communication" or "An idea that didn't go through proper channels" pile, regardless of truth. Creative types get a bit of leeway and are, in general, expected to be a bit stupid - it's part of the charm of creative types. An actor or a creator can do or say stupid things and this can still have a net positive for the company as it milks the buzz and attention for all it's worth

However, this is senior editing staff, essentially top brass. They're meant, at least in theory, to be the people holding the reigns. They form the union between the creative types and business types. They keep the creative types on task (since they can't be expected to look after themselves) and turn the raw materials produced by them into marketable scripts, while facilitating the cooperation of those above and below them.

What this shows however, is that Marvel has the children leading the children. No one responsible and dependable is in the wheel-house. And this makes the non-creative business types, very nervous, as they are essentially two different species and cannot fundamentally understand each other. Without the effective middle management of the editors, guided by the company heads, to maintain control then efficiency breaks down and when efficiency breaks down money is lost.

Money cannot be lost. Money is Jesus God Messiah. Money is the reason for existence, the cause and solution to and of all problems. To the business types, Marvel exists to produce MONEY. What it does to produce that money is a secondary concern, left to the creative types and their shepherds. Investors do not care what they invest in, only that it produces results.

This calls into question, very publicly, Marvels ability to function as a company.

It literally is something that writers used to do all the time, Priest did it with the name "Jim Owlsey", I'm looking for other writers that did it I know it's guys in the Bronze age that used to do it most drequently.

tl;dr

Don't waste your time, no one really cares about this fabricated outrage. Just enjoy the shitposting

Well gringo it's actually not that at all. I'm mean sure, the fact that he was using the identity of a japanese man to sell his scripts as authentically japanese is a big sticking point but there's also the audacious breach of ethics, of lying to his employers and workers and also to the consumer.

Cebulski is literally Rich's Marvel guy you fucking retard. Look at the cocksucking promo piece he got on BC when he was given EiC. There's no indication Amanat was even in the running.

I don't care, Rich. Suck a cock, Rich the Bitch

If Marvel had an ounce of intelligence they'd have blacklisted him and his site for this kind of bullshit a long time ago.

The article in OP was clearly attempting to play up the moral failing of "impersonating a Japanese man"

Even failing that what crime did he commit?

You're kidding right? This was something the guy came up with a decade ago when he was fresh.

Eventually he had to come clean to marvel higher ups, and they think he's good enough to be EiC despite gaming the system.

Do you honestly think we don't know what you're trying to do here? At this very moment you have tumblr open on another tab trying to play up the moral injustice, while here you're trying to stir us into a frenzy over marvel being incompetent.

Try to be a little more transparent next time. And don't worry, ad block made sure I didn't give your site any revenue.