Lost all interest in this character once time travel and speedforce showed up

Lost all interest in this character once time travel and speedforce showed up.

They should have kept powers as "Fast guy"

Time travel was always there. Speedforce just explains his powers.

Ok
Now tell me why I should give a fuck about what you think

Bitch, Time Travel has been part of The Flash's abilities since the fucking Silver Age.
And I'm sure Jay Garrick on the Golden Alge could also do that too.

>I never actually read a flash comic

me too bro

>Speedforce
So during the mid 90s?
>Time travel
LIterally Barry's first appearance

Speedforce ruined him.
Been able to time travel for ages though.

Speedforce killed him dead for me. There's no coming back from that.

Having a problem with speedforce and not all the complete horseshit he could do with his powers from the Silver Age is really stupid

In fact the speedforce just explains how all those things are even possible

Thor falls into the same category of absolute bullshit powers.

I agree, but I draw the line even lower, at molecule vibrating to phase.

You were around to read Flash in the 60's?

Wow, I didn't realize we had such old oldfags.

Jay time traveled once in the golden age, he got back by running just as fast, only this time backwards

So you basically lost interest 60 years ago.

Ok grandpa, nice blog

He time traveled in his SECOND fucking story

I read The Flash when Infantino was drawing it and Fox and Broome were writing.
Yeah, that dates me.
I saw the origins of Zoom, Mirror Master, Captain Cold, and the other Rogues.
But I haven't read Flash in decades.
Last I remember, William Messner-Loebs came in and said he was going to ditch the really batshit insane stuff like running faster than light. Barry was going to be limited to the speed of sound or whatever.

How long did that last? Was "realism" abruptly abandoned when someone else took over or did Flash undergo gradual long-term "power creep"? (Like Superman went from leaping tall buildings to moving planets in a few decades.)

It was for a couple years until Waid took over. Waid slowly powered him back up to Silver/Bronze Age levels, and introduced the speedforce as an explanation for how he can skirt the laws of physics, such as how friction doesn't cause him to burn up, how he can still hear going faster than sound, how he can time travel, etc. That's really all speedforce is, an explanation for the things that don't make sense.

You could call it power creep, but I see it more as reconstructionism back to the classic power levels. Much, much later Wally finally surpassed the max speeds that Barry could reach, but this was treated as a big deal and part of the progression of the Flash legacy.

The 80's were all about superheroes being more grounded, lowering power levels, etc. The 90's was where guys like Waid and Morrison brought back elements of Silver Age storytelling, including the incredible feats the characters could achieve.

Speedsters in general kill all tension, you basically just have to not think about it as to why they don't solve every problem instantly.

Thanks for update & explanation.

I remember incident when Barry was in a bed, supposedly recovering from injuries. To allay any suspicions about his secret identity, Flash visited his good friend Barry. Onlookers saw them both at the same time. He was putting on and taking off the uniform and getting in and out of bed, pausing a few milliseconds at each end. The old "invisible fan" hokum.

My first thought was "why isn't everyone being knocked over by the shock wave?"
My second thought was that being The Flash must be INCREDIBLY boring. Getting dressed and undressed 50,000 times during a short conversation. And when he runs around the world, everybody else must seem frozen in place, but it's still 25 million paces to him. Does the Speed Force also ward off tedium?