When did this guy start getting pushed as one of the core members of the Justice League

when did this guy start getting pushed as one of the core members of the Justice League

2011 at the start of the New 52.

New 52, I guess? Might be wrong about this, but I think that's when it happened.

I hope youre not asking because of CGI abomination Cyborg, right?

They needed a black guy

Diversity mostly. Also he'd be their Ironman tech guy.

The only reason Martian Manhunter was a part of the Justice League to begin with was that he could be used as a stand in for Superman because back then DC didn't want to over expose Superman and Batman (its why Green Arrow was added shortly after.)

I don't mind Cyborg being in the League but they've pretty much nothing interesting with him.

Yeah, that's when it happened.

same time ((media)) started pushing diversity.

>movie poster
>asking about something that's been a thing for 6 years

This board will be unbearable for the next year. I wish the MCU and DCEU never happened.

>who is Jon Stewart

He was a JL member in a Superfriends cartoon in the 80s.

Yeah, Fuck off OP. Over 30-40 fucking threads with the same bullshit and people literally not knowing Cyborg, and im done.

You wan't the real answer? Cyborg is the most lovably "realistic" character in the last 20 years since his creation in the 60's. Teen Titans hyped him as a true character and Geoff Johns had the right idea to make him part of the Justice League in the 90's. Ever since he was in he's been a grand supporting character with great runs by priest.

Everybody on any block knows who cyborg is and his catchphrase because 2000s kids grew up watching the actual TEEN Titans. thats why he's sort of in everything DC related now

/thread

This was John's JL, no way Hal wasn't gonna be GL.

>since his creation in the 60's
>Geoff Johns had the right idea to make him part of the Justice League in the 90's
Nigga do you even know basic comic history?

Since they needed a black hero that didn't have "Black" in the name

I'm guessing this is bait/a copypasta given that Priest never wrote cyborg but I don't really get the joke.

I'm fond of Cyborg and I liked how they started to give me his own rogues gallery...though I think Grid is the only one. Still like Shazam! the best. I hope they don't cancel that film

>gets pushed as a JL member
>not a single good/relevant story with Cyborg as a key player has emerged since
>almost all of his scenes get scrapped from the movie
He's hit the showers for the last time.

6 years ago when you were still in high school

Who will they replace him with if he doesn't sell enough toys? Green Arrow and Black Canary are both crackers, and Martian Manhunter already blew his chance by jobbing constantly in the JL cartoons.

Is it a T'Challa copypasta reformed?

Hal Jordan has been getting a steady push since 2004 (and it's actually been working) so they ain't gonna jump off that train.

>when did this guy start getting pushed as one of the core members of the Justice League

Moviefags are the worst.

It was only 6 years ago. Do you even read comics?

They wanted a black founder. Mr. Terrific I guess they thought would be redundant next to Batman, Black Lightning they probably thought would seem racist, Steel is from death and return so he doesn't work. No one else was really prominent enough.

The thing is though, adding Cyborg as a founder was just retarded. The JLA's lineup changed with the times, so they added black people as they were needed. The core 7 in the reboot should have been the team that fought Starro: Clark, Bruce, Diana, Hal, Barry, Arthur, and J'onn. True, there aren't any black people, but that story is from the 1940s. Had they actually taken the opportunity to fix their chronology, we could have seen a real timeline with the fall of the JLA taking place in the 90s (Death and Return, Knightfall, Emerald Twilight) and a more modern group emerge, maybe even with the Titans taking the league's place. And the modern era is where you'd add your black people rather than butchering Cyborg's character history.

Yup.

Also the should have just hired a black actor for J'onn, then.

Why not Steel?
No one remembers the movie anymore.

The best solution would've been having John Stewart, but Geoff Johns was writing that shitty book.

It all started in Flashpoint; where Cyborg began his push into the mainstream league. Clearly Johns liked the idea of Batman, Cyborg, Flash, Superman, etc, all working together, so by the time the New 52 launched a few months later, in 2011, Cyborg was part of the team.

Though I don't agree with how it was done, making him a founding member instead of just saying "you're ready to join the league from the Titans", it's been alright.

The whole idea of having a black founder is stupid and creates more problems than it solves. I get that it certainly would have been CONVENIENT if one of them had been black, but that's not the case. Just put Stewart on after Hal loses his mind.

There was no problem whatsoever with Stewart being a founder in the DCAU.

I feel like that would have been such a slap in the face to other characters if Vic got promoted over them.

>Sorry Dick, I get that you're protecting a whole city by yourself and have basically moved out of Batman's shadow, becoming a hero in your own right, but this ex-cripple with powers that are essentially body horror is simply more qualified than you are nevermind the fact that you were on the Titans years before him and are actually OLDER THAN HIM

Yes there was, we never got to see Hal's friendship with Barry, or his descent into madness. John was only a founder in the DCAU because I believe he was on thr JLA in the comics at the time. The same goes for Wally being a founder, which was stupid.

>we never got to see Hal's friendship with Barry, or his descent into madness
But you already have that in the comics, why do you need to see that shit again?
JLU was much better than 90% of JL runs and it had both John Stewart and Wally as founders. The key is not having a shit writer like Johns doing it, and you could make anything work.

>I don't mind Cyborg being in the League but they've pretty much nothing interesting with him.

That's because the New Teen Titans characters are mostly pretty one note, and had their main stories resolved in the 80s only to have them retread every time someone wants to use them again.

>But you already have that in the comics, why do you need to see that shit again?
Why do I get the impression you saw JLU first?

Well, you don't frame the story that way. You have Vic in Metropolis visiting his father for diagnostic tests or something to that effect; Vic has already been Cyborg for awhile and a Titan, but as Darkseid approaches and the mother boxes start to emerge, his cybernetic body starts to act weird. He joins up with the league because he's figured out whats going on and the league is impressed by this, so he's given a shot at joining them from the Titans.

So, it's more of a right place, right time, right powerset type of deal.

>That's because the New Teen Titans characters are mostly pretty one note
Don't blame writer's limitations to the characters themselves. The problem with Cyborg in the League is that the book never got a good writer since he became part of it.

John Stewart is the perfect token black guy, they are just to scared of being associated with the Green Lanter movie. Now that Justice League dragged the entire team reputation to the same level that fear might finally stop.

Way back in 82 in the Challenge of the Superfriends animated show. They already had Black Vulcan but this Perez Wolfman OC just had to be their black bro in the JL.

>Also the should have just hired a black actor for J'onn, then.

I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about the fact that he's almost always played by a black guy, outside of a bit of possibly joking bitching when Supergirl made ALL the Martians black.

>Why not Steel?
Because he's tied too closely to Superman.
Now, in the DCEU, where the Death of Superman was fucking movie #2, there's not much excuse for not using him based on that.

No, I didn't. I don't need to see whatever I have already read in the comics in other media. There's no point of that. I want new takes on the characters and new comics. If I want to see any of those stories, I can just go back and fucking read them.
If writers thought like you, we would get the same stories over and over and over again. What's the fucking point?

>as Darkseid approaches and the mother boxes start to emerge
This plot is so fucking stupid. You do not fuck with Kirby.

That's literally what happened in the New 52 JL. I literally was only placing a better scenario for Cyborg's appearance in the first JL outing than we got homie.

He's an affirmative action hire.

>I want new takes on the characters and new comics
But you weren't getting a new take since that had already been the league for 10 or 15 years at the time, and in the later half of the DCAU the status quo was basically the same as the comics. They just got rid of Barry and Hal. The lineup was just synergy.

>No I didn't
Motherfucker you are lying and you know it.

No, there wasn't. Wally was a founder because he was the Flash that crossed over with Superman in his show.

Oh yeah, I know. That's just always been a stupid idea, which is why I was complaining.

it was never my favorite idea about cyborg, either, but you have to work with what you get sadly. that being said, i'm at least glad his run in DCYou was quite enjoyable and that his current Rebirth stuff has been a fun read as well.

>DC WANTED A TOKEN MINORITY

>ONLY POPULAR GUY IS JOHN STEWART

>HALFAGS IN CHARGE OF DC SAY NO

>LOOK FOR THE SECOND MOST POPULAR GUY

>A TEENAGER WITH A ROBOCOCK

?

That Flash could have easily been Barry, but even so Wally had been in the suit for a significant amount of time, and that's why he was chosen to be a founder in the DCAU.

Unless you think Timm just so happened to come up with an identical lineup to the comics of that time.

Wasn't he keeping up with comics at the time? And what about Dini?

Dini probably was. But I've always felt like there was more going on behind the scenes when it comes to the DCAU; especially since Wally is Flash, and not Barry, and Hal only shows up one time, and it's in a Chronos episode. And the fact that "not Alan Scott but totally is Alan Scott" was in a "this isn't real!" episode, the ones about John reading old comics about heroes.

I think YJ did this a lot better; you had Jay, Barry, Wally, Bart, etc.

No, I'm not. I'm just not so in love with continuity that I need to see the exact same things happend and referred to over and over again. That's what turned me off from cape comics for many years.

>I'm just not so in love with continuity that I need to see the exact same things happend and referred to over and over again
What are you even talking about?

>That's what turned me off from cape comics for many years
This is how I know you don't read comics.

And there is people that still defend new 52

>person who hasnt read comics posts bullshit on the internet because they put a character he doesnt know into a movie
Go read Justice League: Grid. Easily one of the best arcs of N52 JL.

Timm prefers to combine two characters into one rather than have legacies, for simplicity. His Tim Drake was Jason Todd with Tim's name. His Kyle Rayner was originally drawn to look like Hal and got his ring from Abin Sur's crash. Wally has Barry's origin story and job.

The theme here being that the other guy in each case then either doesn't exist or gets an easter egg mention somewhere along the line but otherwise isn't an actual superhero in the DCAU.

Martian Manhunter > Cyborg

all day, everyday