Why are horrible and oversimplified art styles like pic-related acceptable in modern Western animation?

Why are horrible and oversimplified art styles like pic-related acceptable in modern Western animation?
Why is it somehow considered impossible to have animation as good as the most popular animes that Japan brings every year?

I can't think of anything made in America or Europe that are better animated than Voltron and Wakfu, but both of these shows are heavily influenced by anime. Any cartoon show that's not influenced by anime either has garbage animation like OK KO and TTG, or has acceptable animation but always gets its schedule abused like Steven Universe despite having high demand.

What gives? Why is Western animation isn't as good as it was in the 90's and early 00's? Our writing isn't even that good to excuse the bad animation quality.

>Great like Japan.

>Steven Universe
>acceptable

Because Networks don't want to put in the money for good animation. The ease of sending digital animation overseas for in-betweens and coloring means that less and less stuff is being done in-house. In addition, Modern cartoons feel that kids don't respond any better to incredibly well-drawn animated series as they do to blobby simplified cartoons, so they don't really feel a need to waste budget on that.
In addition to this we're sorta just caught in the middle of a "trend" where art just sorta looks like this right now (probably as a result of cartoons that look like this becoming popular)

you forgot Castlevania

I donb't think Netflix really counts in this conversation. Those series are clearly the exception to the rule.

> artstyle is the same as animation
Get out.

>TTG
>Garbage animation
I knew right then and there to discard your opinion

I expect nothing less from Sup Forums

Bad animation's nothing new, user. You've got the rod-stiff animation from the 80's like GI Joe and Transformers, then you've got companies like Hanna Barbara which prided themselves on cutting corners and deliberately using techniques that would save effort, even though it meant there was barely any animation at all. And then there's Clutch Cargo, which I wouldn't even call an animated show, more a radio show with visuals.

People never have had the time or budget to make decent-quality animation for television. There's too much to make in too little time, unless you want to go the way of the Venture Bros. and pop out 10 episodes every three years. Which good luck feeding your family on that kind of profit.

The only reason Japan can come out with quality animation (which I remind you are the diamonds picked out of massive, massive piles of shit - go on watchcartoononline, pick a random anime, and see what you get) is because their country prides itself on literally working people to death, plus their animators make notoriously little money.

>they changed their artstyle during a few specials to parody other cartoons, they're totally good!!!!!
Good god, you TTG fanboys are subhumans.

Give me an example of a show with a horrid artstyle that has good animations.

Because the new school animators think going off model is better because MUH STYLE
But really its inefficient, and usually looks worse
There's a reason why golden age CN was able to poop out cartoons consistently

>posting ping pong to disprove the point
that show was stylish as fuck desu

you know why.

ping pong

The brothers grunt

Ok ko isnt really that bad. Take you shit taste elsewhere OP

I like how you're ignoring the behemoths that are Disney and Pixar.

Unfortunately, if West tried to push for more complex and detailed art styles, their animators will go on strike, or it'll take a considerable amount of time for a new season. Jap animators are fucking retarded and will overwork themselves to near-death for shit pay. The Jap animation industry is an awful place.

Of course I'd be ignoring animation studios that almost solely focus on big budget movies, I'm talking about TV shows here.
Besides, western animation companies always ship their work to Korea and overwork them to death. It's not that different from Japan, yet guess who puts out the better work?

Networks are cheap and talent is evil.

>train all your life to be an animator
>get into animation industry
>nobody actually fucking animates, not even keys, just storyboards and model sheets
>everyone constantly shocked I actually know about timing and spacing because they were busy shilling their webcomics for work instead
>would have to move to korea if I actually wanted to animate in house and NOT use puppet rigs a la rick and morty
>the worst part is I know for a fact and firsthand experience that things would be so much easier and cheaper if we just fucking did it in house and actually put these faggots and a couple of off the street inbetweeners to work animating, instead of shitting around for a couple of hours a week making glorified animatics for a living and frankly getting paid too much because of the union that focuses on californian wages, making it extremely difficult for there to be new animation startups outside of hollywood, let alone outside a big city
>eventually just quit and make more money animating for videogames

Korea, in either case. Also you're forgetting that Disney still has a tv production unit.

Get castrated you filthy TTG shill

Make webcartoons, user.

Disney and Pixar don't even do 2D anymore.

because it's more cost efficient. period. there ya go. there's your answer. thread over.

BouseHouse

I think you mean "cost-cutting". You're implying that greed is acceptable by referring to cheapening out as "efficient".

Pickle and peanut animaton style and designs are unique and great.

Because you're a nigger.

Argue with that, bitch.

it's always greed. If tv networks can convince advertises and shareholders by airing literal powerpoint slides, they would certainly do so.

Because The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and Adventure Time were popular and successful

I don't get what you're trying to say here. You're saying network executives DON'T like having to spend less on good animation? so they decided to scrap the SU pilot designs because they genuinely thought the new designs look better? or the 1986 Transformers movie just happened to look 1000x better than the cartoon for funsies? lol. Do you not know what a budget is?

BRAPhaus

>horrible

Gurren Lagann.

This and King Star King

This. THEY WANT MONEY

You could animate some stuff after work user and just keep taking in cash for minimal effort