JSA Storytime: Man-Thing

Good evening owls,

we Giant-Size tonight

we vintage cover

'sup /fit/?

nbd, chillin' in the swamp

Hello, Storyteller.

So about the Talent Showcase. Overall okay, Goingback being the obvious standout, but I want to draw attention to the Wondy and Nightwing ones.

Snyder Wondy is fine, I like the emphasis on Diana as a curious expert on magic, since that's a good and logical niche for her. The story itself I was digging until it just fucking stops with no resolution or even explanation. Step it up, Scott.

The Nightwing story though... So like, I guess Dick Grayson is insane. Dude literally has voices in his head of various other Bat-Family members talking to him and basically backseat driving. We saw inner Bruce, inner Damien("You'll never get rid of me, Grayson."), inner Barbara, and inner Kate oddly enough. This is fucked up, so much that I think even Harley would think it's fucking creepy. Fucking hell.

sweet, entropy cultists

fucked up is better than bland, right?

The Owl Goingback story was just OK, but I'm OK with that. Albeit, I wouldn't read a comic at that level as an ongoing.

HI OP, HI THREAD

Finished my first cert exam today so celebrating with eggnog cocktails, lots of em

I was surprised how OK the Wondie story was in terms of characterization.

Whoever said "Snyder is so bad at endings he didn't even bother writing one this time" killed me

Damn right.

HI TEXANON

also, am I correct that Sup Forumshristmas has started up? in years past we have pastebin'd ourselves for people who want to be sure they're gifting the reprobates who hang out here and not some total randos

What did everyone read this week? Because I read way more than I normally do and kinda want to talk about some of them.

me: nothing, literally nothing

I am behind on fucking everything, I haven't even been reading MAGE

Please tell me we get a Hero of the Swamp mock-up at some point.

It has indeed

I'm not asking for anything this year tho

Well you got time OP, we've hit the first hiatus month. Every 4 issues.

now mind you this involves some weird amount of trust, but I was thinking of posting books I have and want to give away and mailing them to any takers

Wasn't Saxton Hale baised off this ad?

I need to go to my LCS and put SNAGGLEPUSS on my pull

if any of you get the preview the editor's been saying he'll share with some people, for the love of god pass it along

he's a definite play on the whole type

True enough. It's certainly memorable. If anything, I'm kinda disappointed we didn't see other voices. Is there an inner Jason? Alfred, Steph, Cass, Tim? May as well go all in with this shit.

The surprising competence in characterization was why I found the non-story disappointing. It's Diana working with ARGUS as a consultant on magic artifacts, which I'm all for. Snyder seems to have decent WW ideas and a respect for the character, just an inability to actually finish a story.

That'd be cool. If I had gotten that 10 dollar copy of The Crossing Omnibus all those years ago I had planned to do the same

that is what an editor is for, dammit

Speaking of, this CB story seems to keep going, and someone's finally come out about Edmondson, who apparently has threatened to sue before

>It's Diana working with ARGUS as a consultant on magic artifacts, which I'm all for.

Yeah, that was one of the main takeaways from the ARGUS mini years back - that Wondy would fit in that role and it'd be something that had potential.

Have you recovered from where Mystik U bad-touched you?

Creature of the Night was SO good.

I've never been big on the "Wondie is the expert on magic shit" take but I do support anything that portrays her as being intelligent and extremely well-read.

I loved Mystik U, sorry man

Thanks for finishing the BoM storytime yesterday. It was way too slow without a pass

Whyyy would you start that up again.

Seconded. The appeal of the Batman annual was totally lost on me though.

Mystik U felt very self-aware in its appeal to former Harry Potter fans. The villain hook is really weak though, and the faculty are more interesting than the teens (Faust and Enchantress are at least entertainingly edgy, and Sargon a cute).

No prob. LOVE that series.

I don't want to know

That thing Mary Skrenes said about not moving on from comic books was so, so wrong. Gerber was born to write comics.

I finally started reading The Dark Tower and finished Book 1, the King in Yellow is a villian later on, right? I heard something like that from one of my mates.

Yeah, it felt really cliched and overdone, and I actually don't like the idea of Bruce dying in his bed surrounded by his family, it's just not... tragic or poetic. Neil Gaiman had the right idea.

The Crimson King.
He's mentioned in other short stories like Children of the Corn and such. He's more of the greater scope villain for the series.

It's a natural fit, since it's similar to how she operated in the Golden Age books, working with a military organization. They've even tried it before with the One Year Later stuff, though that was the DEO.

I like the idea of Diana being a magic expert because it just makes sense. Grew up around magic, is a mystical entity herself, has to deal with supernatural phenomena all the time... It follows she'd know a thing or two.

we're one giant-size tonight then back on Sunday

work is still lunatic

There's a lot of stuff floating around complimenting the romance and I literally lol'd at some of those pages. IDGI.

He is, and he loved the Marvel universe. I think his writing style just works so perfectly in a visual medium. He probably could have written for cartoons, and IIRC he did a few of those, but what he loved were comics.

>Entropy cultist
>Creating things

This comic was actually the inspiration for Consider Phlebas.

The Nightwing story was the only bad one.
In story AND art. The batfamily was a mistake.

I KNOW. It's criminal that people are basically ignoring it compared to White Knight's response. I know Busiek has poor health but I hope he has it in him to do more with other characters. DC's habit of giving Batman and Superman stuff and then randomly stopping has got to stop (All Star Supes/ASBAR, Luthor and Joker).

As much as I love Kurt I don't care at all for his take on WW.

....oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

F :(

There's still Flash, Green Lantern, JL in general, and maybe Teen Titans and Aquaman that could have something like that.

where's my Netflix USE OF WEAPONS, eh?

BTW Sword of Ages is a lot better than I expected it to be and I'd rec it to anyone interested in the pitch. It's (another) sci-fi King Arthur story but it looks like it gets the moral arc of Arthur stuff in a way a lot of these things don't.

Especially poor Teen Titans since they, a team book, finally got something with Earth One but then got handed to a writer who sucks with teams. lol

I don't mind the good end for Bruce. I think the bad end sucks and I think that people want good end for 99% of the characters, it's really unfair and shitty to want a bad one for Bruce. Issue was melodramatic as hell though. I did like that page when they're walking home from the doctor, that's an actual effective use of the 3x3.

I'd definitely read his take on most of those, especially Aquaman. If he was gonna do a "Secret Identity" style of thing, I think Aquaman and Atlantis has a lot of potential for that.

I've been wishing for this since forever.

The whole CB thing honestly seems like it's not that big a deal. Yeah, it's fuckin' weird, but with all the other horrible shit going on in entertainment, someone once having a pseudonym of a different race seems quaint in comparison. I mean, I'll take this bit of ultimately harmless silliness over yet more sexual harassment.

I'd like The Flash.
Especially since Barry gets his inspiration from Flash comics to begin with.

It'd be the exact same recursiveness he's been doing already. Hell, name the kid Jay for levels.

>The Nightwing story was the only bad one.
They were all either aggressively mediocre or bad.

I mean, PLAYER OF GAMES is easier, so try it on first, but then go for the big boy, you know?

>strategic clay

Nah Nightwing was the only bad one.

Most of the rest were mediocre. Kinda liked the Wonder Woman one except the hilarious fact that Snyder didn't even bother with an ending.

Wait, what? This comic, this man-thing story?

Its been awhile since I read Phlebas but I'm not recalling any similarity here. Help a Banksian out?

The Deadshot one was ass.

The Glob in Giant Sized Man-Thing, you say?

oh sweet jesus it's Richard Nixon

The way these things work you'd just get 7 fucking seasons of Player of Games outstaying their welcome. So, go big or go home.

Who would you cast for UoW though, OP?

Just riffing on the lost mind. Can we just fucking appreciate that the villains in this one have literally lost their mind, too? Fucking Gerber.

I dunno, I can't say I have a strong visual impression of Zakalwe, so that's not the front I'd look at

How would a Wonder Woman "Secret Identity" book even work though?

I usually really dislike Synder, but I was actually getting into his joint, and then it just stopped. The fuck? It's the Justice League Megazord all over again. Snyder, you blue-balling fuck.

did our Marvel cancellation pool hit the jackpot again?

And to think Oblivion the cosmic entity of entropy is still like, 7-8 years away from existing to be worshiped.

It's depressing that thinking of both Player of Games and Use of Weapons my mind goes to the likely hot takes we'd get.

Glad to hear you liked it (liked I said last thread, it's by a compatriot so that has me extra interested). Sadly, I haven't been able to read it yet.

The Moral Purity Crowd would have a lot of flipping the fuck out at the protags in both, lol, but Use of Weapons would be above and beyond

>Whoever said "Snyder is so bad at endings he didn't even bother writing one this time" killed me

It was entirely true, at that.
There was enough atmosphere in those pages that I wanted more, but I'd hesitate to even call it a story with how much was unresolved.

Seriously, I would like to know what happened here.

I'm so relieved that Owl Goingback's story was good

That is something that 100% belongs in American Vampire, so read that if you liked it. It doesn't exactly have an "ending" yet though, so I suggest stopping and not reading "second cycle"

DC New Talent thing.
GA Annual.
Press F for New Avengers, which had some real Archie love in it's next level Skrull Gangster Planet story.

I don't know but I hope Hippolyta and Phillipus are suburban lesbians in it

>The power of the Golden Brain

trumpjoke.txt

I want to see Kurt do GL or Flash minis, if he stops after the trinity I'd be disappointed but not surprised, those fuckers get 99% of everything

Was it in Eltingville they had that joke where one of the nerds asks a girl if she wanted to see his Giant-Size Man-Thing?

You know I kinda went off Culture books in the middle somewhere but The Hydrogen Sonata was an excellent finish especially in light of Banks' full awareness of his own impending death. I should read it again.

F

>Wonder Woman
>getting anything
She only got shit in 2016 because of her movie

she still gets vastly more than Flash, GL or Aquaman

That'd be a bit difficult because of the way her origin works compared to ones like Superman and Batman.

What I'd probably do is tell it as an ancient myth with a vase painting kind of artstyle, with a larger than life story like the old legends, which then ends with the actual Diana in modern times, and it's left up to the reader's interpretation whether the legends were real or not.

Can't believe Richard Milhous Nixon is one of the three Jokers.

Darkhawk was gooooooooooood

I wish the art had been a bit moody. It wasn't bad, but it felt like there was a bit too much empty space at times. Could have been spoopier.

Nixon is lucky in the arts, best modern opera written about him, immortalized in comics, etc.

Wow, now DC is shoving politics down my throat?

This page especially was some straight up SCP shit. As someone pointed out in the thread, this lack of information would be fine if it were an external jumping on point, but it's not.

Ivy as an anti hero can work sometimes, y'know, when she still acts like the callous, eldritch creature she is.

Also, the lighter was cute.

I don't really understand these single issues Marvel is putting out, especially the Darkhawk one which was a classic first issue setting up an ongoing in structure.

Darkhawk- Favourite book of the week
Green Arrow Annual- Meh
Super Sons Annual- F U N
Batman Annual- I like it as the death of Kings Batmam

Oh speaking of, I showed my mother Einstein on the Beach. She didn't exactly share my enthusiasm for it, lol.

Einstein takes the right mindset and total commitment and booze doesn't hurt

Hal n Pals - slow and boring, as usual
The Demon Hell Is Earth, since I forgot to read it last week - pretty good
Aquaman annual - I enjoyed it but it didn't really bring anything new to black mercy stories

is this /d/

And she doesn't deserve it.