Sneak Peek: Mike Feehan Previews Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles

dccomics.com/blog/2017/11/30/sneak-peek-mike-feehan-previews-exit-stage-left-the-snagglepuss-chronicles
>America in the 1950s was a pretty crazy time. It was the height of the Cold War and the nuclear arms race between the United States and the Soviet Union was ramping up. The American counter culture was taking root within the cities, driven by writers, poets, artists and musicians. Television was dramatically transforming the way people were informed and entertained. And fear of communism had gripped Washington so tightly that it ignited one of the single biggest witch hunts in all of history, personified by Senator Joseph McCarthy and the House Committee on Un-American Activities.

>However, as far as we know, there weren’t any large, talking animals writing hit plays on Broadway.

>But really, considering everything that’s happened since then, would it have really been all that strange? Certainly not to artist Mike Feehan and his collaborator Mark Russell (THE FLINTSTONES), the team behind EXIT STAGE LEFT: THE SNAGGLEPUSS CHRONICLES, a new six-issue miniseries that reimagines the sly, theater-loving pink panther as a gay Tennessee Williams-like playwright who gets enveloped by the Red Scare in Washington. The first issue of this thought-provoking and undeniably timely new comic hits stands in January, but we thought we’d give you a sneak peek at it right now.

The above link also contains an interview with Feehan.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

And that's it. This is just a variant cover.

I WAS SO GAY

BUT I COULDN'T TELL ANYONE

I am excite.

Okay, I'm getting that fucking variant cover.

>Mr. Puss
I need this comic book

Is this play based on the Unfunnies?

I wish the art was better (mostly because both covers are beautiful), but it looks like its going to be a wild ride.

That's huck, s.p. was yelling his gayness to the whole world!

Gay village

Yes, that is the implication. Nice work.

I'm so exited desu

Second panel has potential.

The artist didn't know what to do with the cameraman's legs. He should have absolutely refrained from drawing him pantless. The art style just doesn't work well with that.

The pumas however look great.

So many waifus...uh, no furry.

this looks fantastic, can't wait to see more!

there isn't a single female character I've spotted so far that I wouldn't bang.

>Lila's fur and the journalist's hair change color between pages, and even between panels in the same page
That's a piss poor job from the colorist

Why is the cameraman the only one not wearing pants?

No reason to wear pants if the camera can't see you

Snagglepuss is also wearing no pants in the cover.

Seriously, the art feels too much like creepy furry art, was really looking forward to this but now my excitement has been dampened a bit...

I'm hoping they'll utilize Snagglepuss' classic mannerisms, though I will admit it's not too hard to read his dialogue in his voice so far.

there's no way they would have approached something like this and not have it come off as furry. you would kinda be defeating the point of a talking walking pink fucking cat otherwise.

in b4 not wearing pants ends up being a sign of closeted homosexuality

If you're that sensitive to anything that even vaguely seems furry, you were never gonna like this

>big publisher finally makes a gay furry comic
about time, thats where the real money's at

>shotapuss

yum.

>cat person in dogface.

THAT's RACIST!

What year do you think this is set in user? I bet you can't throw a rock during that time without it hitting a commercial where they got a tin pan Chinaman using a rickshaw.

Spacetwinks is going to be a millionaire

Komiksy as fuck

>more shit about how wrong and bad the Red Scare was
Please just make more Flintstones.

It's 195X, NO ONE CARES.

The concept legitimately sounds pretty interesting... but why ruin it with freakish furry fanart tier art? This book could have been something special but it seems to be pandering to the literal disgusting cesspit of humanity, fucking freaks who want to sexualize and fuck animals...

The more I type the more I wonder why I expected anything less in this day and age, fuck this timeline.

I honestly don't see how you are construing it as furry
None of the art is sexually appealing or titillating at all
The characters have fur, that's about it

anything with anthro animals = furry nowadays

I remember when this was first announced, all the furries on twitter got annoyed because they didn't draw him sexy enough or some shit.

I bet anything the art is obviously drawn by an actual furry fan art artist, it’s fucking SHIT, I have nothing at all against anthro animals, but this is obviously pandering to fucking furries, don’t delude yourself

mate if it was pandering to furries it'd look 10x more sexualized

>Snagglepuss's wife
kek

This art reeks of furry faggotry, don’t deny it

or youre just being an obnoxious faggot?

This doesn’t surprise me at all if all they saw was the based as fuck Shaner art

Hey did ya get that thing I set ya?

It was Porter's art

why are you engaging that faggot lmao

The art really isn't great but if the writing is half as good as Flintstones I'll take it.

O ho ho ho ho.

Isn’t this like Blackface?

I have a lifelong boycott of anything that has ''chronicle'' in the title. Movies, music, books, shows, whatever. I can't stand that fucking word.

I wish they used this artist for the whole book, not just the cover. It looks much better.

Oh, quit whining. You're just uncomfortable that all the females in this are 9's. Get over yourself and just enjoy it.

>he has a wife

awesome. he may not be the manliest character but doesnt mean he dont enjoy puss

>implying McCarthy's communist hunting was wrong

Shit lib detected, why can't they stop hating america so much

McCarthy only ever succeeded in outing obviously left wing actors and writers, he never uncovered a single actual Communist collaborator or spy. He was an alcoholic conman who got his shit punched in the moment he tried going after establishment figures in actual places of power, and he died a penniless joke.

All these reboots of Hanna Barbera classics makes me wonder which of their IP's they will tackle next.

I swear they will make Top Cat into a high end mafioso and the story will be about them planning a heist with machineguns and getaway cars and everything.

And the Vietnam war was also justified to hunt communists.

Ruining countless innocent lives over muh boogiemen and blackimailing people to just name names for the sake of naming names isn't right.

Charlie Chaplin got exiled to the UK because they suspected he might have been a communist.
There was no evidence. But the suspicion was good enough.
Oh and they did the same to seven chairmen in the White House Congress.

>implying McCarthy's communist hunting was wrong
Given that he never caught an actual communist in his entire witchhunt, and if anything made it actively difficult for those in power to legitimately root out KGB spies in the government, yes he was wrong.

There were even people if the fucking 80's that believed Tetris was a soviet conspiracy.
Yes, Tetris.

>Ruining countless innocent lives
But that's exactly what the commies did.

Village people?

Question, do you complain about all the sexual assault allegations going around?
Or how the libs treat Trump?

and maybe he could say the ends justified the means if he ever actually caught a real one.

well of course it was, it was spelled TETЯIS on several of the arcade sides. All that geometrics turns your brain soft. And red.

You realize that by the logic of your own argument you're saying that McCarthy was - at best - completely and grossly incompetent, right?

There’s a word for what that woman is to him, but ‘wife’ wouldn’t be the right one.

Try ‘beard’.

...Do you know what a Beard is?

A little too early for pottery lessons in the morning user

Greenwich Village. Used to be the past all the LGBT people hung out for safety in numbers, back when it was just fine to beat someone to death because you thought they were gay.

Another survival strategy of gay men back in these times was to get married to a woman then just never sleep with her. Hiding in plain sight, as it were.

So it's just gay Bojack Horseman?

Did you not look at the last page of the preview? It's an arranged marriage, purely for societal expectations. Notice how they treat each other. Also, pay special attention to the second panel.

The entire comic will probably focus on how Snagglepuss has to keep a facade.

Except the characters will not all be horrible people being awful to each other.

Bojack Horseman is just a prequel to Dragon Ball.

>I swear they will make Top Cat into a high end mafioso

You're not wrong. The prologue for his upcoming series came out at the same time as the prologue for Snagglepuss.

He's a disgraced gangster leader who escapes from prison into the DCU with Benny. When Benny goes missing he's on a quest to find him.

>Wearing snoutface.
That's racist

Wait, are you serious? I just made that up on the spot as i typed it.
I had no idea they had announced Top Cat.Guess that stuff writes itself.

Yeah, I'm serious.

It's crazy how many times recently people have suggested Top Cat for one of HB's gritty comic reboots when...it's already in the works.

I shouldn't be surprised, yet i am.
Also, i thought they'd look more like 30's gangsters. This is more like Bronx from the late 70's type of street gangsters.

There was definitely a whole Goodfellas vibe to the whole prologue. When the series comes out proper I might start reading his voice as Liotta's.

>Top Cat betraying the gang
NOT COOL BRO

NOT COOL

>that sad Chooch
He looks like he got buttfucked in the shower.

this shouldn't make me so sad.

Not sure if this is awesome or just bizarre

>people taking this bait
Honestly I don't think it's even bait, just a sarcastic joke

youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

checkmate

Snoutface was an important cultural outlet, and should be seen as an artifact of it's own time.

Interestingly enough, the furries redlined the fuck out of it because they thought it wasn't sexy. It's a deliberate effect. It's supposed to feel "off".

> literally a dog with shifty eyes in the third panel

Are you people still going on about the furries? Let it go or I will start thinking that the lady doth protest too much, or however that goes.

>lady
Don't you go on misgendering me now you shitlord

I really like this cover.