What went right? Why can't King maintain this level of quality throughout the rest of his run?

What went right? Why can't King maintain this level of quality throughout the rest of his run?

>implying right was good

He specializes in maxis, not ongoings.

>implying the others are good
King is shit. Batman is shit. DC is shit.

What was your problem with it, assuming you're not that one user who autistically freaks out whenever Selina gets mentioned?

Predictable 'twist', without much actual substance. The reveal banked on cheap emotional shock. It also suffered from King's trademark bad writing, which Brave And The Mold somehow managed to subvert (I never read the Elmer Fudd crossover though).

>What went wrong
Writing for trade

>Predictable 'twist'
I didn't really see any twist at all. What are you referring to? The fact that we got to see a possible future?

> It also suffered from King's trademark bad writing
This is impossible to argue against if you're not more specific.

The twist was Bruce dying, and the bad writing is his insufferable Bendis speak. The 'bat cat' shit is a particular pet peeve of mine.

I agree with you about the Bat/cat thing, but it's not enough to ruin the entire comment. And I don't think Bruce dying is a twist; this just shows a possible future up to the point where he dies. That's like saying Bruce being old in the flashforward is a twist.

it was very clearly what the entire story was setting up to, though. There was also an intentional vagueness about it, and it implied that Selina would be the one to die, with her being the one getting emotional about it and whatnot.

My problem is his intense decompression and cringeworthy dialogue. The ideas are fine, but things drag out way too long and everybody talks the same. It works for a slow building pit-in-your-stomach series like Vision, not so much Batman.

>it was very clearly what the entire story was setting up to, though
building up to a climax is what most stories do, user.

>it implied that Selina would be the one to die, with her being the one getting emotional about it
You think it's weird that someone's wife would get emotional because their husband is dying?

So is this the" death" of Kings Batman? Because he got to this a lot quicker than I thought he would.
Hopefully now he stops writing big bombastic stories

I don't see how any of that is a shortcoming. You can always read Doomsday Clock to read an epic action story.

King's run would be fucking fantastic if it was all single issues like Batman used to be.

But since it's a flagship book it's gotta be BIG and EPIC

This

Long story arcs have been the worst part of this run

The issues on picture aren't even that good.

I say in the Batman/Elmer crossover, it's Lee Weeks who played an important role since King's first plan was to do Elmer as a serial killer, and Weeks suggested they do noir instead.

the truth I still do not see the problem to its long arcs, only the war, but i am bane was very good. except for the end I can make a good comparison of bruce and bane. and i gotham was ok

Maybe this says more about Rebirth than anything else, but I feel like they're the best Bat family stories we've gotten since it started

Other than the first two issues of batman. I think it's been a pretty stellar run

You seriously liked I am Suicide?

it develops well, it has a goal and the reflections of bane are interesting, just like i am bane is better

King has written for trade before to great success