The only reason Helga started acting tsundere is to avoid getting bullied

>the only reason Helga started acting tsundere is to avoid getting bullied.
You think she's ever get over her complex about showing her sensitive side?

Other urls found in this thread:

buzzfeed.com/docibrown96/nickelodeon-greenlits-a-rugrats-tv-movie-orders-a-38vov?utm_term=.ccm6ma5Nl#.pbLV13Lpb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

After a few years with her therapist Dr Bliss.

I could never get into this show cause I thought helga's love shrine & monologue was creepy as fuck

>Arnold, what a boob, what a smarty-pants-know-it-all, how I despise him, and yet… I love him! His noble curiosity, His keen powers of observation, His unfaltering sense of right and wrong. Oh, if only I could find the strength to tell him how much I adore him, If only there was some way I could let him him know, Some way I could whisper my secret adoring thoughts, so this fever'd brow'd, Dare I even think it? Kiss the lips that haunt my girlish dreams? Oh, if only, If only…

So... the movie?

was it Sup Forums approved?

I like it, but the original Test Footage quality was nowhere to be found. It made me quite sad to see it be unused.

Its all Harold's fault.

Helga's art may have been creepy but at least she was creative. When 4channers do shit like that you just get something stupid like cumjars.

I'd say so. Solid ending, well worth seeing it after having to wait so long. Wasn't perfect obviously, but it was fun and it had heart to it.

Test footage quality was never going to happen after they axed it from being a theatrical film. Honestly wish Nick stuck with the original plan and made the actual movie into the TV one.

I don't get this. Helga isn't afraid of Harold at all in any episode. He's like the last person that would able to make her bottle her feelings.

Was this episode a metaphor for a school shooting?

>no girl will ever love you this much....
end my motherfucking life right fucking now... RIGHT!!! FUCKING!!! NOW!!!

Everyone save for Arnold and Gerald were laughing at her. Even Phoebe.

It's just the original moment where Helga makes clear that she likes Arnold but Harold mocks her, leading to the rest of the class laughing at her. This sparks her immediate tsundere persona.

>do you ever feel like there's a hole in your heart?
>yes! All the time...

It happens in the movie.

Well it came out before Columbine happened so...probably not.

I don't think anyone will deny that Helga is kind of creepy. People generally are able to look past it because she's a (mostly) well-intentioned kid with a cruddy homelife.

If she was exactly the same by the time she was an adult or teenager, people might be less forgiving.

I think a lot of people overlook that aspect. Yeah it's obviously weird and a bit creepy, but she's 10. Kids don't really know better, and she especially wouldn't when her parents don't particularly do much to raise her. She just doesn't know any better...more or less.

Does anyone ever feel like the writers couldn't decide how bad they wanted Big Bob to be? Because he seems to vary between being completely irredeemable to capable of being an okay parent when he realizes he's screwing up.

I think it's just supposed to be a Rambo reference.

that therapist woman was awful, she told Helga to keep doing what she does as long as she doesn’t hurt anybody.

OK, writing poems and having the locket is one thing. But how is she not hurting herself by having a fucking shine of Arnold in her closet??

also remember the time she inadvertently drowned Arnold and Lila out of petty jealousy?

I like Helga, I really do. I just think her Arnold being together is really creepy and borderline Nice Guy (Girl?) bullshit.

>But how is she not hurting herself by having a fucking shine of Arnold in her closet??

Care to elaborate how she is hurting herself by doing so?

Yo she's a kid. Fucking 9. If she was 16 and doing it then yeah, she needs real help. Kids grow out of it. I did way weirder shit when I was a kid that I'm so embarrassed of now that I won't even mention on Sup Forums. It's a phase.

That's how my (abusive) dad behaved. Kept my heart rate guessing everytime I had to interact with him.

I always felt like Helga having the shrine is just setting herself up for massive disappointment in the future, like what would’ve happened if after all this time Arnold had met another girl? Or now that they’re apparently together as of TJM ending how would her psyche handle a breakup?

I totally get that she’s starved for attention and affection but still, having a therapist encouraging a behavior like that is really unsettling.

That’s really just the most obvious and easy to understand reason. She grew up in an environment in which her caregivers didn’t do a whole lot to express love and affection, so I’d say at least a part of her keeping her own feelings to herself has at least something to do with her not learning how to express them outwardly, from not having personal experience to go off of.

The show had a pretty long run and a lot of characters and story elements evolved and changed slightly season to season. But in Bob’s case they also sometimes slid the scales a little just to make the individual episodes a little smoother. I never really thought it was that noticeable myself.

I just wish they had made more episodes featuring the mania side of Miriam’s manic depression. From what I remember that was a development that came up relatively late in the show and it was really interesting.

>like what would’ve happened if after all this time Arnold had met another girl?

That’s basically the question Lila exists to answer. Helga only got lucky that Lila didn’t turn out to return Arnold’s feelings in the end, but for all Helga knew during that whole thing it could’ve always gone the other way.

>what if they broke up
Maybe they’ll touch on this if they make that new season. If The Patakis had been made it definitely would habe addressed this.

>having a therapist encouraging a behavior like that is really unsettling.

It was their very first visit together and the therapist had two top priorities to cover before she went any further with treatment:
>1: get Helga to stop physically hurting people
Which she did
>2: earn Helga’s trust enough to get her to come again
Which she also did- it’s implied Helga would have come back.

Helga probably wouldn’t have responded as well as she had if the therapist had been harder on her and chastised her for being creepy right off the bat. She readily agrees to stop hitting Brainy, but she still clearly needs to hold onto some of her other outlets at least for a while. Giving them up and keeping Helga stable would take some baby steps to get to and would probably fuck her up worse if she was told to dump them cold turkey. And the therapist was specifically a child therapist who also gets about as well as anybody else that Helga can grow out of this with time, and probably intended to help her do that if she got to play the long game.

> but for all Helga knew during that whole thing it could’ve always gone the other way.

Exactly my point, she set some up extremely high expectations for a guy that while nice to her weren’t especially close.

> The Pataki show
I read some where that Bartlett would’ve addressed Helga using Arnold as a crutch for her own happiness after a breakup, she would’ve gotten her shit together and then they’ll live happily ever after. I’m OK with that.

True, dr bliss didn’t need to rip helga a new one or anything, but even lightly addressing it would’ve made the episode so much better.

> Helga...I’m glad you have your poems and the locket, but maybe next time, just make an Arnold out of clay?
>Huh? Why?
>Used chewing gum isn’t exactly the safest material, you know.

You know, that's a solid end game for their relationship. Nice to see a dose of realism to that kind of thing. Helga has a lot of issues she's going to need to work out that undoubtedly will flare up during her teenage years based on how she was raised.

I'd like to see all of that happen, but I'm also content with just knowing how things are supposed to go.

The movie was very good. The only complaints I have is that Lila didn't get any screen time and Olga went from being miss perfect with a countless number of skills to a generic girls gone wild slut who's only useful trait is that she's hot.

It kinda reminds me about how in The Patakis she was suppose to be some kind of failed actress who lost the favor of her parents. Which frankly misses the point, having a successful person fail at life just because the MC doesn't like them isn't good writing and the idea that the parents suddenly stop favoring Olga after all these decades is unrealistic.

Believe it or not but pointless drama is not the same thing as realism.

Neither are happy endings.

Nothing ends Adrian.

>Olga went from being miss perfect with a countless number of skills to a generic girls gone wild slut who's only useful trait is that she's hot.
Yeah, I thought that was weird as fuck. We’d only ever seen her date like one guy in the show, and that relationship wasn’t even based solely on looks. If anything I’d’ve thought she’d be of a saintly “no, Che my darling, my duties to the children as a student teacher and as a big sister to my baby sister come first! I cannot allow our passionate love to distract me!” position. But she kinda just fucked off to ogle some pirate.

>in The Patakis she was suppose to be some kind of failed actress who lost the favor of her parents. Which frankly misses the point
>the idea that the parents suddenly stop favoring Olga after all these decades is unrealistic.

Actually I think this would be if anything the logical progression to Olga’s character. I’ve seen a couple of people now who were brought up as over-achieving ‘gifted’ children, and there’s a pattern among them where they crash and burn right after college, and the people in their lives like their parents never understand why. The way it was explained to me, they put a lot of weight into how they value themselves as a person into their academic scores. Once they leave school and that system of value is removed, they don’t know what to do with themselves. They can get jobs fine but all of a sudden they’re not ‘winning’ at anything, let alone everything, and there’s less sense of worth. Olga fell into an inconsolable depression when she thought she got a B+. If she decided to be an actress, went to an audition, and failed? She would probably have an identity crises. If she didn’t have natural acting talent and didn’t cut it as an actress, it could ruin her life. She’s never pursued anything and not instantly been best at it, but her perfectionism would catch up with her eventually.

Because having an emotional crutch like that is never healthy. Helga was just lucky that Arnold was nice enough to return her feelings, who knows what would've happened if he flat out rejected her.

I'm sure if The Patakis had been made it would've been explored more.

To be fair Olga was probably more than happy to go on the trip because she thought they'd be building homes for the needy and getting to do that with her baby sister was a huge bonus point. They had a tight runtime though since it wasn't a theatrical length movie and all or they could've explored it more.

In terms of her role in the patakis, I think that would've been perfect. It's a pretty common thing. The golden child, especially one as talented and perfect as Olga has a lot to live up to. One mistake, especially a big one such as throwing away scholarships and opportunities to pursue acting only to fail and move back in with her parents and her dad's failed beeper business would probably completely drop her from favor, especially if things were to continue to go downhill for bob's business.

I watched it happen to my cousin with his dad but with different details.

>her dad's failed beeper business
Oh geez I hadn’t even considered this angle. Yeah, I can totally see Bob and Miriam saying “Oh no! The beeper business tanked! Ah, well, at least we have our talented, successful, and surely soon to be rich young daughter about to launch her world famous acting career to save us from poverty!” “Bad news, daddy, I’ve failed at acting and am left penniless and in dire need of emotional support and forgiveness. Thank goodness I have a rich successful family and their beeper empire to help me through this trying time. The beeper business IS doing okay, right?”

God, that would be a nightmare for all of them. And of all people Helga would have to be the voice of reason to slap some sense into them.

I wish this show could get made.

was it ment for helga to be so ugly? the lollypop head, crooked nose, stupid hair, and ESPECIALY her unibrow. everything else about her I could understand kus she had a shitty family life but where did she get her ugly looks?

Everyone has an ugly stage. Helga's is only temporary.

Helga's future look

> Arnold just wanting to stay friends with Helga

That’d be a hell of a set up for a school shooter fanfic.

She looks a lot like Bob. Also she’s not especially concerned with her looks because she’s nine. When she cleans herself up in a couple episodes she can look pretty good, but she just doesn’t bother doing that every morning.

>having an emotional crutch like that is never healthy
One in six Americans are on psych meds and most marriages end in divorce but Helga has turned her love of Arnold into her religion and Arnold has a Messiah complex, so even if they're not "healthy" I believe they have the potential for a happy codependent relationship. And really that's about the best you can expect to have.

unibrow tho

She looks cute when she tries. Her default face is a vicious scowl, and nobody looks good scowling.

Design wise, she was ment to be bully, so she is given unsympathetic looks. Not only is she ugly, her clothing is ridiculous.

>shirt and dress
>bow

So ridiculous!

I mean she's been shown to get rid of it when she wants, so it's not a stretch to imagine when she grows older and cares more about her image, she'd likely get rid of it altogether.

This is adult Helga just accept it.

Certainly not pain

I mean, she's a child. She's supposed to be dependent on others to an extent. And clearly her family isn't giving her that.

I'd wear that shirt and I'm a guy.

Craig said that Helga was designed to be very unsightly and ugly because she was supposed to be a really ugly person. He later 'fell in love with her' and quickly turned her more sympathetic and frumpy and akward than ugly. I don't even think her original design made it into the show; I never thought Helga was particularly ugly.

Helga is real cute, even beautifull when she makes an effort.

>her clothing is ridiculous

I like that the canon reason behind this is that Arnold complimented her clothes once when she was in preschool so she still dresses like a preschooler. Her clothes don’t suit her personality at all but she has a reason for wearing them.

He complimented her bow for being pink like her pants, if I remember correctly.

>I don't even think her original design made it into the show; I never thought Helga was particularly ugly.

In the first part of season 1 she had this bizarre, much uglier design. By the end of the season with the valentine's episode she was completely different. By season 2, reflecting her change to be a more sympathetic character her face was made much less harsh.

mommy president!

>Inflation skyrockets, unemployment soars, baby born with winning lottery ticket? That's it! I’ve decided I’m running for President!

>I don't even think her original design made it into the show
Its almost unchanged. Her comic/clay original had dots for eyes and acted more rigid. In the show she is always hunched over and they avoid to show her face from front. From front she looks like her original version.

Yes. And she continues to wear the same bow and a pink outfit that matches it. She grew out of the pants but her dress looks just like them.

Helga is super cute.

But she is very cute and you have shit taste.

They keep drawing her front profile like the original pitch in the first season. From there onward, her front facing frame is skipped and it switches from side to side. The movie makes her look more like Bob.

why must you make me feel

she looks better that way on front.

I hate you.
I hate you all.
You guys are seriously making me like this character the more I see and read these posts.

Helga's eyebrow in TJM did some odd things it never did in the series. Moving around like it did.

Helga is so fucking adorable when she fawns over Arnold.

How did you not already realize that she is the best character on the show with the most substance by now? Helga makes the show.

how can you NOT like helga though?

Helga is entertaining as fuck.

The only people that hate Helga are young male children. Everyone else loves her, or at least dislikes but appreciates.

Rewatching the episode, she does sound concerned when Helga brings up the used gum thing.

Fanfiction as it may be, ever since Ive heard of the Patakis idea Ive been imagining stories and scenarios that the series might have tackled.

For the setup, which would be Arnold and Helgas breakup, I came up with the following scenario:

>Arnold and Helga are both in school break and were about to start their junior highschool year.
>Arnold decides that he wants to follow on his parents footsteps and spend a year in San Lorenzo, helping some poor, indigenous community.
>When he tells Helga about his plans, Helga tries her hardest to convince Arnold to stay, but Arnolds moral compass compels him to go.
>Feeling the sentiment of abandonment, so familiar to her, Helga gets angry at Arnold, and impulsively breaks up with him.
>Arnold tries to reason with Helga, but she is too emotionally struck and orders him out of her room.
>The rest of the summer break goes by, and Helga avoids Arnold throughout it, angry at him.
>Gerald organizes a farewell party for Arnold, who would be leaving the day after.
>Phoebe calls Helga and tries to convince her to go, but shes adamant in not seeing Arnold.
>The morning after, Helga has a change of heart and decides that she wants to make amends, and she tries to meet Arnold before he gets to his flight. But due to various complications, she arrives at the airport too late. She tries calling him, but theres no internet or cellular coverage where Arnold goes.
>Helga is devastated that she wouldnt be able to make amends with Arnold, and becomes very depressive and confrontational as the new school yer begins.

So, what do you guys think? Is it passable?

It would be difficult for me to watch.

If serial killers can play with decomposing bodies for months without getting sick then I think Helga handling Arnold's used gum won't kill her.

This would hurt to see but it's a plotline that seems feasible. Good way to start it if you wanted to go with the idea of the Patakis being Helga writing letters to Arnold. It'd be perfect if it had a good, heart-warming ending.

To be fair, all the characters looked a little bit ugly.

Why is that DVD rip in some weird wider ratio? I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be 4:3.

>mfw the show straight up says that Helga is a Crohn's disease suffering, bed wetting emotional neuroses-ridden wreck because of her parents' neglect of her

Rewatching this as an adult is just horrible.

Wait, when's that first part come up?

Nadine mentions it at some point. She needs medication for a chronic gastrointenstinal condition of some sort. Can't remember which episode

She hardly encouraged that behaviour, but as unusual as the shrine seems it's somewhat positive to hear if you're deciding if the child meets the criteria for anti social behaviour or sociopath tendencies, because they physically harm their peers. As a therapist she did her job correctly, people go to see them because they withhold judgement and that way people can vent out and start learning if the behaviour is correct or not. Which out loud Helga started to admit that it was odd behaviour when she had the chance to confess it. Watching it again I had more of a nitpick that she heard Helga, a nine year old cares and looks after herself, already showing she's dealing with neglect and emotional abuse. Not to mention the possibility of her mother poisoning her as she doesn't know what she's putting in her meals from her alcohol addiction. The joys of patient confidentiality. Either way a shrine in a closet doesn't seem that high on the priority list for Dr Bliss.

Anyone got good fics

Miriam tells her to take her constipation medicine which doesn't necessarily mean that she has Crohn's.

Ah just googled it and looks like it was Sheena who mentioned Helga's GI disorder in Phoebe Skips. I don't remember that line at all.

I didn't NOT like her!
I just didn't really fancy many of Nick's characters. When I saw these cartoons, I was younger and stupider. I'm 29 now and seeing and remember the images and quotes about this character really makes me feel for her now.

These are pretty cute, nice finds user

I suggested one earlier in the thread, but I'm very open to other good recs

Right, now you made read about this and that. Excessive bed wetting and constipation can be caused by several different things, but the 3 causes the show reveal are; bad diet, stress and eating large amounts of diary products.

When I heard about Olga doing off-off-broadway shows I didn't imagine her being a failed actress but rather just a not very good one yet still happy doing it.

And just because her parents are disappointed in her doesn't mean she's not still their favorite. They'd definitely still show up to watch her perform.

Shit, got hyped about this:
buzzfeed.com/docibrown96/nickelodeon-greenlits-a-rugrats-tv-movie-orders-a-38vov?utm_term=.ccm6ma5Nl#.pbLV13Lpb

Then realized whoever wrote that has not posted there before. Add that it's buzzfeed...and there go my hopes for another season.