Is it just me, or are Disney's queer-coded villains some of the best (most fun...

Is it just me, or are Disney's queer-coded villains some of the best (most fun, most interesting) characters they've ever created?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6LN_L85b2zQ
youtube.com/watch?v=01vL0ucGG0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=aOK5SuoBVUY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_(style)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dare I ask how either of these villains are queer-coded?

gay people are evil-coded(obviously)

They act like homos but aren't homos. I don't see it for Hades but I can kind of see it for Scar. He has some faggy mannerisms.

Hades was a sleezy business man. How is that queer?

>I don't see it for Hades
Yeah, me neither. Hades is like James Woods' take on a chatty New York jew. And with him being such a staunch conservative, I get the feeling he wouldn't want to play a character that seemed even a little gay.

Love them!

Also, not villains (anymore), but would these fags be considered queer-coded or straight up queer? I mean, Pleakly has a bloody coming-out episode, for fuck's sake.

He's dramatic and flamboyant? I mean, the excessive hand flourishes weren't a hint? Hades is a big ol queen.

Pleackly is just flat out gay like that robot from Time Squad, not so sure of Jumba.

If that was all it took to be a queen, half the world's male population would be.

>flamboyancy means you're gay
Bitch, Prince has a big fat 'hello' for you from beyond the grave.

Not gay, just English.

Why does behavior have to be sexually themed? You're enforcing gender roles by calling everything that doesn't fit into them "queer coded".

Hades is one of maybe two monogamous married men in Greek myth

Hate how they made him the bad guy because of stupid christian coding

>Eloquent speech and a deep, rich British accent mean you're gay

You mean flamboyant?

He's a sleazy 80s stock market buisiness guy, user. They're all flamboyant. Hell, he's basically Trump.

I agree I hate this shit. Labels are the enemy of clear and honest expression

Not Disney, and probably more "SM-coded" than queer-coded. But the Joes and Thrax battle scenes were uncomfortably erotic.

There's also Bootsy Collins, bobbles.

>You're enforcing gender roles by calling everything that doesn't fit into them "queer coded".
Preach.

youtube.com/watch?v=6LN_L85b2zQ

His sassy, flamboyant, dramatic persona is stereotypically gay. The way he moves and speaks reads as gay. Watch the scene when he's talking about boys with Meg. Gay. Watch the scene when he calms down from one of his OTT tantrums with a pink martini. Look at how he swishes and sways then compare with Herc. Hades is gay as fuck.

Nostalgia chick please leave.

best underrated gay villain

>Hate how they made him the bad guy because of stupid christian coding
What are you smoking? The makers of that film are not Christians. There was no kowtowing to any churches in that film's production, otherwise they wouldn't have used a music style typically reserved for Jehovah to sing about Hercules and Zeus. Methinks if there were "christian coding" muddying the waters, the gospel choir would have been the first thing to go.

>EVERYTHING IS GAY HAHAA

the wonderful thing about literary interpretation is you can perceive these characters as gay for literally no better reason than "I say so" and, as long as all you do with that supposition is hold it to yourself, it is accurate.

If at any point you attempt to build a thesis or argument, then an onus of proof falls on you.

You are incredibly stupid if you think American entertainment does not conform itself to Christian values and ideology.

>The makers of that film are not Christians. There was no kowtowing to any churches in that film's production, otherwise they wouldn't have used a music style typically reserved for Jehovah to sing about Hercules and Zeus. Methinks if there were "christian coding" muddying the waters, the gospel choir would have been the first thing to go.

It's a fucking Disney film.

So you're saying gay stereotypes don't exist?

I just think it's funny that the people claiming it are ultimately just guilty of stereotyping.

>queer-coded
>christian coding
Human personality is diverse and subtle.
Not everything has a hidden meaning.

google "queercoded disney villains" and you will find literally thousands of articles and discussions on the subject

this isn't some wacky or controversial idea

Normally I would agree with you, but it's Disney. And the cultural lense the film is made through is decidedly Christian

>gay people adhere to a certain set of stereotypes
If you really believe that then you're setting the LGBT cause back a decade or two. Cuz you see, they've been pushing this idea that they're "born" that way for a long time, that it's not a mental condition in their heads.

But what does talking in a stereotypical way, moving in a stereotypical way, acting in a stereotypical way reek of if not inauthenticity? Straight people don't have stereotypes, user. We just like pussy and dicks. If you're truly progressive you will disavow yourself of any notion of gay people "acting" a certain way, because that shit is limiting.

>this isn't some wacky or controversial idea
when placed in an enclosed chamber, any idea expressed within becomes the predominant theory

And you're incredibly paranoid (and probably butthurt over some childhood experience with religion) if you see examples of Christianity fucking things up where there are none.

The fact that it is not controversial in literary criticism circles inherently means it is wacky.

Fucking Disney still puts on gay pride parades at Walt Disney World. Fucking Disney films talk about evolution and do a lot things that in your stereotypical view of American Christianity would cause widespread moral outrage.

It's not controversial because of post-modernist thinking, which allows for everyone to be equally right and valid, even when they lack absolutely any proof whatsoever.

You can make this shit up quite easily. In university I wrote a term paper about homosexual allegory in Moby Dick by picking a few passages in the first few chapters and making insinuations about the authors real life relationships, as well as implying a historical association between the nautical and homosexuals.

Hades is CLEARLY being portrayed as a Lucifer figured despite having NO relation to the Judeo Christian arrangement aside from being a perceived overlord of the underworld. Hades isn't even particularly associated with FIRE, neither was the Greek underworld.

It was a movie made for a predominantly white, christian audience by a company well known for it's christian conservative leanings. It sets itself up in a way that would be immediately familiar to that audience.

gay days at disney aren't officially endorsed

Finally, a sane person in this entire thread.

Prince is dead?!

The Christian association of Hades with Satan long predates Disney. It's why the stereotypical "red devil" has a pitchfork, for example, as it was derived from Hades' bident. Whether the animators consciously decided to make Hades Satanlike or not, the overall cultural context calls for the ruler of the underworld to be a malevolent trickster very separate from the mythological Hades.

C'mon user, do you really think any of these people actually believe this shit? They're just posting random disney villains to trigger people

It's just plain and simple shitposting. The people who don't think Hades was made out to be the Christian Devil may in fact just be that retarded however.

>Hades is CLEARLY being portrayed as a Lucifer figured despite having NO relation
Nah, I'm pretty sure he was portrayed that way because...

>perceived overlord of the underworld.
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

They needed a villain, simple as that. They're not even the worst offender when it comes to misrepresenting Greek mythological figures: see Nintendo and the Kid Icarus series.

>It was a movie made for a predominantly white, christian audience by a company well known for it's christian conservative leanings.
Again, you're paranoid. See Gay days might not be officially endorsed, but they sure do allow them despite protests from the conservative Christian soccer moms that you think somehow have the company on a leash.

>Gay days might not be officially endorsed, but they sure do allow them despite protests from the conservative Christian soccer moms

Because refusing them on the basis of their homosexuality would constitute discrimination and would be therefore, illegal.

Campy, flamboyant villains are my fucking favorite kinds, fuck anyone who bitches about them

>Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
Why would the perceived ruler of the underworld be portrayed that way, rather than the way Hades was mythologically portrayed? Of course, at this point you'll say something like nobody is portrayed the way they were in mythology, but that again brings up the question of why to choose Hades for their Luthor stand-in as opposed to for example Posidon.

The fact that the overlords of the underworld is such an "obvious" villain choice reflects a shared Christian cultural context/history, despite the artists and audiences likely not actually being Christian anymore.

>my entire knowledge of homosexuality is from family guy

Agreed.

Or why not Orcus, who was fucking spooky

OK now THAT one I buy

>Straight people don't have stereotypes
They totally do though.
Guys having pinups in lockers. Girls dragging a guy along shopping.
There are tons of "Things all straight people do" that aren't necessarily realistic.
If a second rate sitcom uses it as a premise for a joke, its a straight stereotype.

Hades and Genie were played by the same guy in Swedish. Did a great job.
Hades youtube.com/watch?v=01vL0ucGG0Y
Genie youtube.com/watch?v=aOK5SuoBVUY

Gay stereotypes exist. Does every gay person adhere to those stereotypes? No. Hades does, and that was the point. Compare with Si and Am, who adhere to Asian stereotypes. That doesn't mean all Asians do either.

This has nothing to do with the argument of sexuality being nature, nurture or both.

I'm liberal as fuck, but I'm not an idiot. Stereotypes exist regardless of your opinion on them. Being progressive doesn't meant denying reality.

I mean, if you're going to be evil might as well have fun with it.

>progressive
Fuck off fag

>I'm liberal as fuck,
That much is obvious, Sup Forumsmblr. You've seriously been arguing that Hades' fast-talking "What? Come on, seriously?" Larry David-esque Jewish New Yorker shtick was, in fact, intentionally written and performed as a gay stereotype. This couldn't be a further reach from the truth, and if you'd stop for one moment and apply a modicum of critical thinking to your assumptions, you might realize that an actor who regularly bashes the left on Twitter *might not* want to be associated with a gay character.

>muh gender roles ;_;
neck yourselves

I can't tell whether you're butthurt that I (rightly) characterized him as a progressive, or if it's because you think I'M a progressive (kek). Either way the term exists to be used, so deal with it.

The man who created all these characters was gay and was just writing them like he is used to

Jafar wanted to fuck Jasmin and put her in a sex harem outfit. How is this acting like he is gay?

ding ding ding!

Queer-coded villains are never explicitly gay. That's the whole point.

>men being flamboyant means they're gay
>men having close relationships with each other means they're gay
Any other things straight men in fiction don't do anymore?

See

And I'm telling you that's horseshit. Flamboyance is not "queer coding". It's flamboyance. Take your critical theory and return to where you came from.

he just thrives on domination
nothing gay about that

now this fucker really is repressed gay
look how pissed he got at the end

>Howard Ashman
>creator of Scar, Jafaar, and Hades
You've lost. There's no coming back from this monumental display of stupidity. Go whine about our bigotry on /lgbt/ if you wish, but you're fucking done here.

P.S. Fun fact about Hades: not only was his personality written by two straight men and performed by a hard-right leaning actor, the only confirmed inspiration for ANY of his mannerisms is Jefferey Katzenberg, a - dun, dun dun! - STRAIGHT DUDE. And unlike all your bullshit """"facts"""", I can provide a source for that claim.

It's not gay, faggot, it's camp. There's a wealth of difference.

This thread is praising Disney's queer-coded villains as their best characters. The liberal/gay people commenting all love them. Nobody is saying anything about bigotry or oppression (except you).

>ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical; effeminate or homosexual; pertaining to, characteristic of, homosexuals. So as a noun, 'camp' behaviour, mannerisms, et cetera. (cf. quot. 1909); a man exhibiting such behaviour.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_(style)

We're talking about gay stereotypes. Camp is just that.

Of course queer-coded characters aren't explicitly gay. Otherwise they would just be gay characters.

Talk about gay villain, you make me remember alot about villain in Dragon Ball
General Blue
Freiza
Buu
Zamasu and Black

Can you fucking read? You're done. No one here is going to take you seriously after saying that the late Howard Ashman, Disney lyricist extraordinaire, created these characters. And that's assuming anyone took your ludicrous claims of "gay-coding" seriously before.

You have Ursula. That's it. If there were any other LGBT-inspired villains, someone who actually worked on the damn films would have said so by now.

Look, I know recognizing patterns is part of your spectrum, but just because someone acts a certain way doesn't make them that certain thing. Saying that someone should be something because they check all the boxes is textbook stereotyping and profiling. Scar, Jafar and Hades all have characteristics of flamboyancy to their actions in diatribe to their protagonists who are all some level of either masculine or natural. "Queer-coded" doesn't mean a goddamn thing except trying to co-opt existing characters as part of some kind of brigayde.

I'm surprised Ratcliffe hasn't been mentioned. Or is he just too blatant?

>Saying that someone should be something because they check all the boxes is textbook stereotyping and profiling

Yeah, it's a stereotype. I feel like you're not listening to what I'm actually saying. I never said Hades was based on any person or that he's canonically gay. I said that he conforms to a gay stereotype.

That wasn't me, dude. I don't even know who Howard Ashman is.

Wears make up, has some gestures that are usually considered gay and his clothes, compared to other male characters in the movie looks like a dress

To me it just looks like you think fun and interesting = queer-coded
I think the concept of a villain who enjoys being evil and has fun with it is kind of camp in itself

General Blue is straight up gay
The heroes literally call him a fag and laugh at him

>modern homosexuals base their behavior off of popular media and one another in a giant feedback loop
>somehow the charismatic, villanous outcasts of films they watched as children are gay instead of them consciously and unconsciously aping movies and TV

Hmmmmmm.....

REALLY GETS THE NOGGIN' JOGGIN'

You missed a few of the best gay villains, and some gay non villains too!
Zarbon, the Ginyu Force, Whis, Jewel, and Otokosuki

idk, does openly in a gay relationship count as gay-coded?

Wrong sir! He wanted to kill her before fucking her!
He just wanted the marriage to get the power, he didn't want to touch that icky girl.
He didn't put her in the outfit either, she wore it to try to trick him into thinking she was into him, and HE was only one not into her in the outfit! Even the parrot wanted some harem girl but Jafar just wanted to kill her faster!

Wow, you're really pissed off about the fact that tons of characters openly act like fags

Sup Forumsmblr will ignore this because introspection reveals only a hollow filled with pop-culture dust and nothing of any substance or vigor

Queer-coded? Fuck off to Tumblr faggot

He's played by James Woods. James Woods grew up in Rhode Island with a ton of Italians around. Are you saying every Italian is gay?

>acting in a stereotypical way reek of if not inauthenticity?

Because it presents itself as wanting to be seen as something so special within the human condition. Being gay doesn't matter just like being straight doesn't matter. The only difference is the combination in which you present your love and affection, you'll cry, love, hurt and be overjoyed with your parter just as any straight person would be, but when everyone treated the same no one feels special. That's what get people so frustrated with the LGBT community, this inherent narcissism that permiates what seems to be most of the people within. the group and flamboancy is just the most clear trait to point to. Non flamboyant nom agenda pushing gay people are super chill and just regular folks, it's the big flag waving parade "we're here we're queer" people that every gets annoyed at. Now even within the LGBT community they're feelings this as sub-subdivisions what a piece if the spot light, trans people are the zeitgeist right now but bisexual feel discriminated in the community, intersexual fight with trans peopele and asexual get ignored and want attention to while the subject is popular. It's become a snake eating it's own tail, saying how delicious it is but also complaining how mu cut it hurts.

So when some says "chill you're not that special" they trying to bring you back to reality.

I know you guys are joking, but no, the gay community didn't adopt the flamboyant mannerisms of film villains. The stereotype is pre-Hollywood and goes back to at least Oscar Wilde's trial (as does the usage of queer as a gay slur).

You guys should check out the documentary The Celluloid Closet if you're open to learning more about queer-coding in the history of film. It even delves into queer-coded villains specifically.

It's cool if you don't agree that Hades is stereotypically gay, but lots of people do because the sassy quips, limp wrists and pink mimosa don't exactly evoke the stereotypes of traditional masculinity (as, say, Zeus and Hercules do).

>if you're not a burly man you're gay
Funnily enough it was the masculine-as-all Spartan soldiers who were fucking each other.

I fucking hate Sup Forumsmblr

>effeminate is gay
>dramatic is gay
>any sense of style or showmanship is gay

Good job idiot.