Laika Thread

Laika Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oi9gtzslraI&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=gxs2vS2gJ-c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kubo has started airing in theaters in Japan just recently. I wonder if it's doing okay.

I'D LAIKA THEM TO STOP MAKING SUCH SHITTY MOVIES!

wait

NOW?!

Yeah, they're not even Dreamworks tier.

just some arsty-fartsy stop motion crap

why do stopmotion movies have to be always scary or gross?

They are in dire need of a good editor

Wait, they just started showing it in Nippon now?
NOW?

Nice

Yeah, they didn't even announce the release date until January 2017. It started airing in theaters in Japan Mid-November, last month.

>film is set in ancient japan
>the japanese are the last ones to see it

Wonder why that happened.

nice! Laika threads are usually pretty comfy

They are in dire need of a good WRITER. Kubo looks beautiful, but boy oh boy, is it a hot narrative and thematic mess.

Also, believing that a good editor can fix pacing issues is a myth. At best they can lessen them.

I guess it's just inherent to the style. Most stopmotion is always flirting with the uncanny valley whenever they're not just diving into it, so the most logical conclusion is making movies that incorporate horror into their narrative.

I'll get this out of the way:
Coraline > Kubo > Paranorman > Boxtrolls

When will they make a movie about Laika going on a space adventure?

ParaNorman > Coraline > Kubo > Boxtrolls

ftfy

Nah, Coraline had better writing and atmosphere than ParaNorman.
I mean, the twist in ParaNorman is much heavier and impacting than any plot point in Coraline, but all in all Coraline is a more complete experience.

dumb sheevposter

If you could choose any already existing story, be it from a book, a cartoon or even another movie for Laika to make their own film about, which one would it be?

Animals of Farthing Wood. It'd be cool to see what their design team could do with animal protags.

Gotta love Laika.

I'm still pissed about the ending
Kubo sees his mother's gosth next to some literally who Asian guy
And fuck you that wasn't his dad, I saw his dad, he was part of the movie
It's not like he was a fucking monkey there is no reason they couldn't have kept him the same without the wierd bug parts
Parts Wich didn't even make sense as a curse to begin with, we are cursing you with awesome super powers, yeah, right

I'd like to see them take another chance with Gaiman and adapt The Graveyard Book. Considering how the story starts with the family of the main character being brutally murdered I'm not sure they'd be able to get away with it.

Snow White
would be intersting to see the visuals and how would they extend the basic plot for it
or Alice in wonderland

A remake of Over the Garden Wall with whatever changes they want to add; maybe keeping the original ending intact. No regrets

>Alice in wonderland
How about American Mcgee's Alice? If Laika ever tried to make an R-Rated movie that's the story I'd go for.

Maybe Good Omens. I've always loved that book.

Gaiman seems to fit Laika's way of storytelling rather well, doesn't he?

I think they kind of succeed at different things.

Coraline was my favorite overall for its style, atmosphere, and tone.

Paranorman had the strongest payoff in the final act with the twist that tied everything together.

Kubo had the best choreography and wide open set-pieces.

And Boxtrolls had my favorite humor. It's usually the last on people's favorite Laika list, but I think the comedic banter between Egg and Winnie trying to acclimate to each other is underrated. It's a cute dynamic.

It could be cut down a bit, but I think Over the Garden Wall as it is now would be hard to adapt without the random misadventures of an episodic format.

I always liked the idea of seeing a stylized video game like Grim Fandango or Psychonauts in stop-motion. Kind of hard to transition a story like that into a single film though.

Alice in Wonderland managed to pull it off; with a few clever transitions Over the Garden Wall could get the same effect.

It wasn't until Kubo that I realized just how amazingly well action sequences could be portrayed in stop motion.

>And Boxtrolls had my favorite humor.

Archibald Snatcher was my favorite part of the movie

What are your favorite scenes of each movie?
>Coraline
Coraline going to bed after her parents have banished; that really pulls at my heartstrings.
>ParaNorman
The entire final sequence between Norman and Agatha; great visuals and the best track of the movie.
>Kubo
Monkey telling Kubo and Beetle how Hanzo and she met through Origami; that entire scenes gives me chills every time; it's so damn emotional

I have yet to see Boxtrolls.

>The unspeakable has happened; We must speak of it immediately!

>Coraline
Probably the scene where she finds the Other Father post-corruption. Where he's basically rotting away, but the piano won't let him speak to her freely. I also really liked the bits of silent exploration in the beginning. They convey a lot of personality in the music and animation of her just wandering around in silence looking for something to do.

>Paranorman
Seconding the final confrontation with Aggie. Great chaotic animation, great music, strong voice acting, etc.

>Kubo
The intro of Kubo walking through fields on his own and taking care of his nearly catatonic mother. It was subtle and emotional, and painted so much of what their lives were like in just a few minutes.

>Boxtrolls
Egg trying to learn basic social cues and failing. It's an obvious joke, but lines like, "It's a pleasure to meet you, even if I don't mean it." still got a laugh out of me.

Making Up A Song About Coraline

not cute when I want to fug Coraline

This secondary to ago.wthing written by me.

It would be absolutely perfect, but no way would any studio commit to 13 movies

I'd love to see their take on norse mythology

>existing story
Honestly I'd love them to do an original science fiction story. It'd be cool to see starships and space adventures with their style

brave little toaster

Psychonauts its the most logical one since it fits perfectly with th studios style.

Other than that anything that involves aliens.

Dungeons and Dragons, Laika free to make their own plot and do their own writing, just using the setting.

youtube.com/watch?v=Oi9gtzslraI&feature=youtu.be
Did you know that song was written by they might be giants, and that early on the movie was going to be a musical

Yeah, I loved the Other Father's song but I'm kind of glad it wasn't a full musical. I thought the nonsense language and ambiance worked really well for the tone they were going for. youtube.com/watch?v=gxs2vS2gJ-c

But I am curious how the other songs would have turned out.

>tfw no talking Laika space adventures by Laika with comfy balalaika music

Why does Laika like hips so much?

It's something they can sneak past the fcc or whatever.