Describe Pre-Crisis (silver/bronze age) superman's personality

describe Pre-Crisis (silver/bronze age) superman's personality

Happy guy. Loves truth, justice, and freedom.

>happy
doesn't come off all that happy a lot of times. Seems a bit depressed

Honest, brave, selfless, pragmatic, witty, dedicated, stern, open, upfront.
Always a positive attitude in bad situations.
Proud of Earth and Earth's values.
Proud of his family.

One aspect of Superman that was lost with the Crisis: he was kind of a prankster.

Like Superbro but more optimistic

so nothing like hack snyder version at all

He's a dick.

Avuncular. Paternalistic. Surprisingly Christian though I'm not sure if that's just an Elliot Maggin thing.

Worse, he pretends to be a dick constantly and then has really weird but valid reasons for doing so.

sorry buddy, this thread has nothing to do with shitty live-action. back to Sup Forums with your buzzwords and company wars! shoo, shoo!

>wears his baby blankets
>constantly pulls pranks to get Lois to not marry him
>hangs out alone in a club house with all his cool tools and robots that look just like him
>gets depressed when someone replaces him as hero in meteropolis
>has survivors guilt over a planet he barely remembers (though sometimes he remembers a lot of it)

Pre-crisis user, before Byrne got his slimy hands on him.

Only real oddity here would be that weird Sand deal by Danny O.

Importantly he's a little bit smug and fatherly the kinda person who winks at people after he's let them in on a joke

Good guy

I wish Superman was my dad

He was confident, I wouldn't say smug. Clark in the comics was definitely different than on the radio show or B&W/color tv show, but he was always very courteous and considerate. I think what you are seeing as smugness is probably some of the stuff that came in the silver age that goes along with what some folks call 'super dickery.'

That's the Golden Age Superman.

If I'm not mistaken, it goes like this:

1940s: Kal-L, member of the JSA, declared to be from Earth 2 in the sixties.
1950s-1985: Kal-El, Classic/Silver and Bronze Age Superman, member of the JLA, was a Super Dick on occasion, teamed-up with Kal-L now and then.
1985-2011: Kal-El, Post-Crisis Superman, the one most of us know.
2011-2016: Kal-El, New 52 Superman, younger. Got merged with Post-Crisis Superman into the current version.

Kal-L died in Infinite Crisis, right? What happened to Pre-Crisis Superman?

>Pre-Crisis Superman

Depowered - by his own decision, for splitting Evil Mxy into two; married to Lois, father of Superbaby. Although it's definitely an Imaginary tale on numerous basis.

>Superman was the real person and Clark was the disguise. Both Clark and Superman were distinguishable enough. Writers had more stories about both personalities of Kal El.
>Was a proud Kryptonian foremost rather than the "Earth made me" Soyboy. Would salute the Kryptonian flag whenever he saw it. Upheld the rich culture of Krypton. His immigrant side was more played up, especially during the Bronze age.
>Had more of a personality than only being angry and wholesome. Could get jealous or be a dick. This was mostly during the silver age.
>Invested his time in helping Mankind and volunteering for different causes. Again, mostly during the silver age.

I don't think Clark was the disguise. I think, based on how the radio show and the first theatrical animated serials werewritten, which the comics (under Whitney Ellsworth) decided to mirror, and then especially when Ellsworth became the point person from DC to the networks and for any film stuff, all that started to become more cohesive.

Also, 'angry or wholesome' isn't accurate. The big Boy Scout is pretty standard for any character that started pre WWII, whether we're talking about daily strips, comic books, fiction (see the Hardy Boys, as a perfect example), which took a long time to become more 'real' even when the 1960s started showing casual nudity, what would be mild swearing for broadcast tv today, and stuff like pot use, etc. I mean, Frank Sinatra was a pretty well-dressed, well-groomed, clean cut junkie in the Man With The Golden Arm.

And he was never angry as a standard default for personality, ditto jealous or 'be[ing] a dick.'