Why is everyone coming here?

Why is everyone coming here?

To be cutting edge in meme culture.

just a place for discussion. your pic just wants feedback, so all they gotta do it make a thread and see the response. Or if their show is popular, just look for the thread already discussing it.

This only has me wondering whether Sup Forums really does give a complete coverage of western cartoons. Like, we talk about capeshit and preschoolshit, do we have everything in between?

It's there but it gets drowned out a lot by the capeshit and preschoolshit. But hey, there are no barriers to entry for making a thread on Sup Forums so why not be the change you want to see?

They want to talk about kapekino.

4chans overall structure is the best for pure internet discussion
It makes sense to come here because we have less of a filter and a far easier time discussing things
You can’t really get that anywhere but a forum and image boards are just super efficient forums
Reddit is just a giant comment section and Tumblr really only works if you’re already in contact with everyone who decides to voice an opinion
The fact that you can reply to multiple people is a godsend alone

You forgot the best part: Anonimity

Hey, I don't mind either, it's just that I'm interested in whether there's an even spread. I remember not too long ago their was a spate of threads about eastern-european cartoons. Never knew I'd be interested in that stuff, but it turned out I was. Leaves me wondering what sort of stuff I'm missing out.
moot once remarked that one of extraordinary things about Sup Forums is that you need to build an audience or a social ranking to get your opinion out. You make a thread or reply, and boom, your opinion is right there on page 1 with thousands of eyes.

Eh
Not really
I mean, that’s a good thing, but it’s not integral to Sup Forums discussion
Specifically regarding actual topics and not trolling bullshit. It’s nice to not have dumb posts follow you around, but as far as having a conversation goes, it’s not necessary.
I mean, if you wouldn’t say something you wrote on Sup Forums on something like Facebook, chances are it contains multiple slurs and has little value as far as the topic relates

Not everyone comes here, just the people who have the guts for it and can waddle through the crap and don't look to have their opinions wanked or validated.

But yeah this in a way, it feels nice to talk to other people in a messageboard even when they disagree with you and not have the mods ban you because you hurt the feelings of a long time member or everyone hiding your comments from everyone else with downvotes.

Ever since I came here I just can't stand any other messageboard.

It's only end-user anonymity anyway, so it doesn't even matter unless you like pretending to be multiple people and shitposting; hijacking a comment chain between two anons and derailing it by pretending to be one of them; or can't admit you're wrong and back out of an argument without actually leaving a thread.

>Ever since I came here I just can't stand any other messageboard.

I'm a newfag who came here BECAUSE every other message board became cancerous leftist safespaces.

Pro tip: you’re the one who’s actually cancer

>doublespacing between lines
It shows.

But Sup Forums can't meme.

Thanks to Sup Forums Sup Forums is mainstream now

It depends on the board culture and general breadly faggotry. I'm only here pretty much for the R&M threads which I have learned are apparently the Sup Forums equivalent of Naruto threads so they all get baited to death (and Sup Forums is the mod's favourite board whereas Sup Forums is less strictly moderated) so rather than maybe ten on topic threads when on air it's one and then nothing but shitposting.

/lit/ is as dead as almost every book discussion place on the internet because no one gives a shit about pulp or other books -- threads I make about fiction barely get more than ten posts whereas Sup Forums and religious bait easily exceed 200 posts. /ic/ is the best for art critique and exercises but it doesn't have any competition. Everyone on Sup Forums is familiar with almost every anime/manga in existence and has the best memory for events which is probably because anime fandom is dead outside of Sup Forums. Sup Forums is a containment board except for the odd sff shows which manage decent discussion. /gd/ and /3/ are dead. Sup Forums is another shithole with very few actually useful threads and piles of deliberately misleading info except for the linoox breads. /vp/ is a board too big for its subject material but /vp/ is a very closeted community and everyone in the pokemon fandom knows each other.

Sup Forums I feel is a pretty good board but the culture here is closer to /ic/, /gd/ or any 'outer' Sup Forums board than the rest of Sup Forums with an unhealthy dose of unmoderated Sup Forumstard faggotry.

Because it's one of the few places left where you can actually be anonymous and not get your career ruined for indulging in wrong speak

This is true. Though that's not to say Sup Forums's influence in the bigger world has never been larger than itself, a la the horse show.
I think rickrolling had a bit more penetration into mainstream culture, so I'd give that crown to Sup Forums.

Thanks Sup Forumsmblr.

/Lit/ is just a slow board user, 10 replies is not too bad for a thread about whatever obscure shit you wanna talk about.

If you search the name of a relatively famous book on /lit/ 99% of the time time you will get a post in which a person posts a large list of book names or a currently reading/will read or a recommendation list (even with spoiler tags enabled). The discussion on Sup Forums and other boards tends to be more comprehensive.

To be fair to him, people have been doing this since as far back as I can remember (since late 2004ish). It has always been a pet peeve of mine. More so when people put a line between a quote too, like so:

>It shows.

HURRDURR IMGAY

I'd put equal blame on Chanology faggots back in 2008. They're the ones that started to use Sup Forums as a political platform to express discontent and protest those views in the real world. Compare it to raids of people like Hal Turner's Nazi radio, Habbo Hotel raids, etc. which were all "for the lulz", or to other times Sup Forums has managed to make headlines with the Internet Hate Machine, Hackers on Steroids, news reports. Chanology had political motive behind it and people were openly proud of representing Sup Forums and "chan culture". Since then, it's been escalation of that and Sup Forums is basically the end result, where instead of people stumbling across the website because they saw a news report about it, people from places like Reddit and Facebook are being actively 'recruited' to Sup Forums which creates "Sup Forumsonies" to get people to join them.

It also doesn't help that there are Facebook pages with thousands of followers. Like I know a guy that constantly shares a "Sup Forums memes" page that had hundreds of thousands of followers.

Also, I forgot to say. One thing I'll never get about newer users, is how proud they are to speak that they browse Sup Forums. Secret club mentality aside, my Internet life is almost completely separated from my real life. What I do and say on Sup Forums is not overtly connected to me as it is with a lot of others these days. I'll never get why people feel the need to broadcast on social media that they're "4channers" or whatever.

Sup Forums userbase doubled between 2015 and 2016. You're delusional if you think Sup Forums and Sup Forums gamergoobers didn't ruin Sup Forums. Meanwhile Sup Forums has been irrelevant for years and trying to use it as a scapegoat is embarrassing and makes you look like a tool.

>4chans overall structure is the best for pure internet discussion
If you want to see the opposite just look how far up its own ass the comments section of any Gawker property has disappeared.

Seriously nothing fosters an air of group and "right" think like making some commentators approved and giving them the ability to delete any reply to their comments.

>I think rickrolling had a bit more penetration into mainstream culture, so I'd give that crown to Sup Forums.
Rickrolling is Sup Forums.

Oh, would you look at that. Chanology is fucking peanuts. How embarrassing for you.

because 4 chan is the opposite of twitter public outrage

huge influx of left leaning users from neogaf after it imploded

Sup Forums is a horrid board, I can't use it. It entirely consists of general threads. So the quality of discussions are that of glib and uninteresting exchanges comparable to that of a chatroom. It's just a shell for a collection of chatroom, there's little interest in progressing topics.

You misread the post and I wasn't clear enough. Chanology sowed the seeds for boards like Sup Forums to proliferate and grow. The whole idea of moving from "lulz" to political activism changed the culture of the website for the worse. If Chanology had not happened, boards like Sup Forums and constantly calling for raids, recruiting people, etc. would not be tolerated. Chanology was the thin end of the wedge.

Using Gamergate as an example. Compare jokes in 2007 about Slowtaku and making joke images about a Slowpoke reporter for Kotaku vs Gamergate. The latter would not have happened unless Sup Forums hadn't established a precedent for being pseudo-activism. Similar reasons as to why the "Anonymous" "hacktivist" group exists.

Not to mention Twitter, which is literally people screaming at the void or at each other. The main problem with Sup Forums is that board culture and hivemind mentality gives you a lot of the same shit over and over again, and for every thread with good discussion there's five threads of shitflinging and bait.

What said, Sup Forums was Sup Forums (and still is to some people) and was the first board to launch Sup Forums into the frontpage

A big issue about Sup Forums is that it's mainly Americans talking about stuff and that everything gravitates around America. And honestly, Americans does not really have a lot of recent international comics and cartoons which actually gain attention. What this board really needs are Frenchies, Germans and also others being more agressive about thier comic and cartoon landscapes. Germany because lots of stuff popular here kinda flies under the radar internationally, France because they make good non-american OC and others to fill the gaps Germans and Frenchies can't fill.

i am so sick of random nobodies posting their twitter responses like we shold give a shit fuck OFF to your FACEBOOK

Wakfu and Code Lyoko have pretty decent presence to be fair. And at the end of the day, this website is dominated by Anglos, who are in turn massively influenced by American culture. If any countries are going to make a case for their own animation and comics, it should be places like the UK and Australia.

Pardon my ignorance, but as far as I know, the only notable British publication is 2000AD for comics and I can't think of any cartoons from either country. Same with Canada.

it's actually the most important thing. Internet message boards and forums become hierarchies, where "established" members words carry more weight, even when they're wrong, leading to the kind of dogpiling that's commonplace when your opinion strays from theirs.

>If any countries are going to make a case for their own animation and comics, it should be places like the UK and Australia.
The spot of Danger Mouse threads back in late 2015 were god-tier. Then there's things like Sarah and Duck have mild interest on Sup Forums, which makes me swell with pride because yeah British stuff doesn't assert it's presence very well.

I don't think so. If Chanology had never happened, I don't think that would've prevented the rise of the social justice movement or its counter-movements. That stuff would've happened anyway. And the moment it began affecting the media that people on Sup Forums boards enjoy, it would've started political arguments here.

What's the avclub? I see it mentioned in the OP of one of the two ducktales threads here on Sup Forums.

Because Sup Forums is for normies, yet faggots who've been here for years are too retarded and stubborn to actually admit it. This place is just an anonymous plebbit, and there's constant bumblr blogs dedicated to Sup Forums fuckery, whether it's shit like "shit Sup Forums says" or drawfags who chill on there.

This place stopped being your secret club over a decade ago, guys. Sorry.

Who said otherwise? Sup Forums in particular is just a bunch of chill nerds who may or may not be normies.

how to fix Sup Forums so you dont have to be embarrassed to admit you visit or lie and say you never heard of it:

-delete Sup Forums
-get rid of the NSFW boards
-permaban any and all alt-reichposters
-greatly expand the wordfilter
-a +1/-1 system for posts
-enough -1's on a post will result in a timeout for that poster
-more transparency from moderators, make sure there is a healthy mix of viewpoints on the moderating team
-country flags & post id's on all boards
-reduce the criteria on becoming a mod
-hire more mods

Who knows. I agree that it would have happened to some degree, regardless. Politics has a habit of seeping into every level of discussion and with the rise of SJW and similar counter-movements, you'd find it trying to push in here or there.

But, at the very least, it wouldn't be as prominent here as it is now if there wasn't a focal point for it to grow. Sup Forums was better when it appealed to relatively niche interests. If the site kept to that, you could excusably ban those people on sight and nip things in the bud before they could get anywhere. Leave it to split-off sites like 7/8/420/whatever-chans, and whatever else has sprouted up through the years, because those places constantly made new boards to cater to things this place wouldn't. It'd still happen, but it wouldn't put such a large userbase literally a click away from trying to shill themselves on other boards endlessly.

But it's neither here nor there. We're stuck in this now and I'd honestly just prefer the website downsizing instead of constantly expanding. Although I get why staff wouldn't want that.

Ideal bait, but maybe reign in the Reddit suggestions a bit.

Because an anonymous message board about cartoons and comics allows people to both openly express their opinions and act like complete shit heads without consequence?
a shitty part is if content creators try to come here for genuine input and criticism, only to be greeted with the unadulterated shitstorm that is the Sup Forums hivemind.

Or you could just kill yourself. That would make improve this place quite a bit.

Wasn't there a time when Eddsworld, when he was still alive, came here and got treated like shit and never came back? It hurts me knowing that happened.

nah, the ones with their heads screwed on do just fine here

Yeah but you can still do that here
Granted, most tripfags are seen as cancer, I remember a time I got shit on for calling out redwood for being a stupid tripfag, as in, people were blindly defending him
People don’t do that as much, but it’s not as if it’s something foreign to Sup Forums

>reply to post calling out an admitted newfag as cancer
>someone calls me Sup Forumsmblr
The internet is older than some people who are using it right now, and retards like you still don’t know how to not be retards

I mainly talk comics and while it's probably worse for capeshit than cartoons there tends to be great threads now and then that delve into underground stuff. There is regular Franco-Belgium storytimes these days and a 2000AD namefag that posts that.

There was a recent "forgotten adult cartoons" thread that I have saved for future watching. So yeah, lots of junk but this is the only site out there that even touches a lot of the lesser known stuff

4 teh lulz

>redwood

Oh god fuck that faggot and his retarded piece of shit followers

>Granted, most tripfags are seen as cancer, I remember a time I got shit on for calling out redwood for being a stupid tripfag, as in, people were blindly defending him

it's the exception though, not the rule. imagine disagreeing with some member with 1000+ posts on cbr or ign, especially if you're a new member.

>Sup Forums I feel is a pretty good board
I've had better comic discussion on /tg/ than Sup Forums cause they don't care about capeshit as much

New user-friendly technology like smartphones that allows people to be constantly connected to the internet and user-friendly interfaces helps ensure that even more people can post easily everywhere.

Sup Forumstards are biggest dindu posters on this site

eh, Guy Fawkes Annonymous masks were probably the first thing Sup Forums did that made world wide news.>One thing I'll never get about newer users, is how proud they are to speak that they browse Sup Forums
I don't get that, I'm fucking embarassed to talk about Sup Forums unless I know the other person also browses. Even then it feel weird

I think it would be nice if we all mentioned of all the positive things that we got out of Sup Forums. Like you mention, there _are_ good threads. There are things that get posted on Sup Forums I would've otherwise no way discovered myself. The underground and obscure is wonderful.
For one, PlayKids threads were one the best shit to come out of Sup Forums in 2017 imo.

That's just how weird extroverts behave.

I don't know much about cartoons, but I know a lot of comics people come to Sup Forums simply because it's the only halfway decent place to discuss comics online.

And more importantly, anonymously.

You're a newfag. I've been here since 2005 and I'm a newfag.

This. Say the wrong thing online these days and you better fucking hope you got good opsec.

Otherwise fare thee well your job, your reputation, even your freedom if you live outside the US.

2007 here. Get on my level scrub.

>originalfag

>>>/reddit

This. No one called anyone originalfags.

You were a newfag if you came on from 2004 onwards.

Why would anyone care about WHEN they were part of the Sup Forums community?

>found Sup Forums as origionalfag
>broken by Sup Forums
>left for years
>come back as cancer

yeah, checks out

Look at this newfag.

No one ever admitted it to being a secret club that you can't find, but people like that it's a secret club as in you don't know who the members are. For all we know, Rebecca Sugar could be browsing Steven Universe threads every time one is up. Or for all we know, she only browsed a few back in 2014 and hasn't cared to do it since. We know she used to browse but it isn't like some member-based forum where we can click on her profile, see the online status, and go to "post history".

It's the anonymous status that's the fun of all it. Everyone here is both a somebody and a nobody. Schrodinger's Cat and all.

P-please no bully.

Get over yourself
The Sup Forums that you were once new to is dead and gone
Today’s Sup Forums is similar, but mostly different than Sup Forums before 2012, 2010, 2007, and 2004
It’s sad, but you’re wrong
And pretending otherwise is embarrassing

>I got shit on for calling out redwood for being a stupid tripfag, as in, people were blindly defending him
Yeah, let me give you a tip pal. That was just redwood. He'd samefag and defend himself pretty often. The guy was also pretty universally despised, I remember about 3 years ago when there would be actual hate threads here, even though he ruled the board with an iron fist.

Is he still around? I assume king nigger is still a mod here but last I remember he moved to Sup Forums.

I really really like Judge Dredd threads. They are generally some of the most enjoyable threads on this whole page. Also, Wakfu threads before S3E10 were really fun.

You can tell this image was made by losers because the NSA era starts in 2016 and not the days of rampant cp and gore on Sup Forums

Not even in 2014 when people were correlating this site with mass shooters and internet death threats to feminists

4 chan has a tendency to care a lot about that, usually, it's not taken to seriously, I found the site when I was an underage little shit before Sup Forums branched from /news/ but then didn't actively start lurking until 2014. it definitely feels different than when I first found it and from when I started lurking.

Progressive!

Sup Forums is the worst board.

>Ever since I came here I just can't stand any other message board.
If this ain't the truth.

There are times I've gotten into arguments with members where at a certain point, a popular member says something and is berated by basically likes/upvotes and that's when I know the conversation has died in the water because it's no longer a debate, it's just a popularity contest. People will try to saying quoting an user is the same way, whoever gets the most (You)s of "THIS" is the same thing, but it's not really. Not at all. Someone can get twenty FBPB comments and 80 other posters will be ignoring that and still continuing the conversation or having their own with other people.

It's really quite nice to know you can say stupid shit and not have it held against you the entirety of your membership here.

I like to discus and read actual opinions that are not glorified. I find out about shows through Sup Forums and immediately know if it is shit or not.

All other websites are too kid friendly as well.

If you remove the middle panel, the comic will be more funnier.

why is that?

>hates this board but is here often enough to respond at what is essentially 4 am.
>doesn’t bother defending points, or offer opposing views, just spouts sarcastic remarks and insults
>blatantly someone who just started posting last year
That’s just sad

Not that user but
>hates this board but is here often enough to respond at what is essentially 4 am.
>assuming everyone lives in the same timezone as you

We sometimes get Condorito and Mexican comics threads, so at least there's presence of Spanish speaking anons.

This is why you need to shit on normalfags. This is why the Sup Forums is love shit fucked the board. Thank fuck I converted to weebshit as my primary drawn entertainment.

So you're too old to talk about comics and cartoons with kids.

>implying weebshit isnt infested with normies to a higher degree

The anime fandom has alot more annoying fucks in it.

It’s actually like 7 where I am, it’s just early enough to assume that everyone who is on here now has been on here for at least a couple hours
Think about it
People who get on Sup Forums first thing after they wake up probably don’t have loved, so why would they be awake in the morning
Most people on here are those who have stuff to do in the evening and probably haven’t gone to sleep yet

I would say this only makes sense if you have close young relatives or have kids of your own. Since I have neither; no and surely discussing shit here has more depth than talking to some kid who doesn't know much about old stuff.

>>doesn’t bother defending points, or offer opposing views, just spouts sarcastic remarks and insults
>tfw that's what shits up most discussion threads.

>fandom
See, you've already fucked up with this inclusive shit. Anime isn't Sup Forums. Sup Forums is Sup Forums. There are loads of normalfag bait communities and retards stay there. At least anime has communities that aren't garbage. Cartoons don't. You have stream site communities, reddit and Sup Forums. Sup Forums is garbage and has become more and more garbage like for a very long time.
>hobby with two, maybe three decent discussion hubs if you're in the know
>hobby with no decent discussion hubs where you are at the whim of fate as to whether you get anything good
Hmmm yeah, fuck anime right?

You know what the problem is, but you're too proud to admit it. You threw a massive hissyfit and created /mlp/. Ever since, Sup Forums has been full of posters trying to stop discussion. Its not just posters saying something is shit or being contrarians. Its active attempt to plea the mods to remove something from this site. You blame Sup Forums and Sup Forums for doubling Sup Forums's traffic. By those numbers Sup Forums SHOULD BE everywhere. It SHOULD BE, yet I see more people demanding the removal of Sup Forums, which is an idiotic plea, since Sup Forums is near 50% of all traffic.

>This is why the Sup Forums is love shit fucked the board.
You fell for the great lie that this board was made anything other that keeping western shit and popular dubbed anime off of Sup Forums. That is what the whole "Sup Forums is love" meme meant. It was for animefags too scared and/or lazy to post in Sup Forums and conform to their ways and their mods helped with this cause.

If it worked once, surely it might still work now, if enough loud voices are being collected.

Discounting all the obvious shill threads, Sup Forums only talks about stuff if one or more of these conditions are met:
>it's shit
See: Hatethreads. However, a lot of them are shill threads subscribing to the "no such thing as bad publicity" philosophy

>it has waifus/husbandos
See: Jenny threads, Raven threads, etc. These are also used by some spergs to beg for free art.

>it's currently airing
Selfexplanatory. Hatethreads also fits here.

We generally don't talk about good things, because the threads usually ends up being 5-10 posts all agreeing how amazing The Goon, Hellboy, etc. is and then hitting page11.

>this bullshit origin
And what of comics?

it only got deleted for a little while people kinda for get how old Sup Forums is moot brought it back because deleting boards that are popular is retarded plus in 4chans history only 3 technically 4 boards have been deleted permanently

point being wanna talk about X use X board don't fucking derails threads