Are there actually any good shows where people say "it gets good after the first episodes...

Are there actually any good shows where people say "it gets good after the first episodes, season" etc and it actually turns out to be good? Like it doesn't turn out to be absolute garbage.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H7Qnm_UwNU4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pic unrelated

Agreed

Simpsons. Season 1 often gets excluded from the "classic era" by some people. Season 2 aswell to a much lesser extent.

Reboot had a really bad first season that the second slowly climbed out of. The show's a bit dated by modern standards, but the jump in quality was ridiculous during the 90s.

SpongeBob's first three seasons were horrendous, but it garners a serviceable groove around the movie and fourth season.

plenty, it just stands out that much more when you get rushed into watching something that never gets good that you normally would have wisely avoided

Now this is bait.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 4, particularly arcs 2 and 3, are up there with Daredevil season 1 as the best thing Marvel Television has made. Quite a turnaround considering the quality of the first season.

American Dad. The first 19 episodes (the 1AJN production run) are okay, but they lack a lot of the great qualities of the later seasons.

also calling season 1b and season 2 of SU "absolute garbage" is contrariansim/letting fanbase determine your opinions. The rest I won't bother trying to defend

This. If the first episodes of a series are so boring that people suggest to skip them, than its almost guaranteed to be a dumpsterfire that just got hyped at one points.

Star Vs. The first season felt like a fucking trash heap and I wanted to quit after nearly every episode, but the plot/lore eps and Battle for Mewni stuff were actually enjoyable. I haven't seen the new episodes though so maybe that's changed.

Shadow Raiders, if you can accept the animation.

So many feels.

SU's a funny example because the opening episodes of the show were very strong!! people forget that sometimes, but the action was good and it was sometimes creepy and moody without being too saccharine

Why isnt there anything like steven turing into a millon cats anymore??? yeesh

Staff changing, vision being lost over time, pandering to and hiring of tumblr.

Moral Orel is just so-so for awhile and then the season 2 finale hits the viewers in the face.

>m-muh lore
Ignore this faggot.
Bojack Horseman

Venture bros.

>Bojack Horseman

Bojack is the same shit for about 4 seasons though

But it's true, season 1a is literally the only good part of SU, everything past that point is garbage.
>the first season felt like a trash heap
Fucking lorefags at it again

There really are only about a few good episodes in season 2 of Steven Universe.

Out of all the popular modern cartoons heralded for going deeper with the story Star Vs was the one that I almost immediately gave up on after the first episode or two. But sticking with it feels like it had one of the more enjoyable breaks in status quo that I've seen in a long time.

Wander Over Yonder started bland in season 1 so they could introduce the characters and explain how they work to the audience.

Then they played with that information to make the episodes better as they went.

Am I the only one who liked the show from the very first episode?

came here to say this

>Wander Over Yonder started bland in season 1
But, this is completely wrong, have you seen the first season? It's incredibly funny and charming.

yes and I say this as a fan of the show

See, I personally found that the first few episodes up to about the blood moon ball were just ok, but it gets pretty good after bmb.

Original Saturday Night Live is like that

>Star Vs
youtube.com/watch?v=H7Qnm_UwNU4
These teen drama defenders are so blind.

Both seasons are consistent user. It was good since the start.

Nip shows do. Dragonball and Gurren Lagan come to mind.

The first couple of episodes are bad for representing how heavy the show gets later on. Those first episodes make it out like it’s probably gonna be another whacky family guy style sitcom where continuity doesn’t matter much, but later in the season you figure out that’s not where it’s going. It’s not until the second season that you find it’s following a formula and it ends up more or less a repeat of the first season.

In this case it's less being a lorefag and more that most of the non monster characters are just insufferable, including Star. I guess if you're a big fan of love triangles and "lol look the characters are being dumb and/or silly again" as almost the only style of humor I can understand liking it.

That or if you're autistic want to fuck one or more of the characters

Well I think SU is a fine example, it really started to pick up with the Opal, Sugilite and Lapis episodes and it kept being good...until S3
And now it's garbage

>most of the non monster characters are just insufferable, including Star
On a list of shit opinions, this ranks pretty high
>I guess if you're a big fan of love triangles
It was never that important in most of the episodes
>"lol look the characters are being dumb and/or silly again"
Have you ever even seen the show?
SU literally only got worse after S1a, season 2 was just as bad as season 3,4 and 5

>season 2 was just as bad as season 3,4 and 5
I don't know how someone can think that
S2 actually had some great episodes, the characters weren't grating and the art wasn't ass

But honestly the Malachite subplot going nowhere almost ruined the season for me
That should have been the finale

Gotta admit it was a cute trick to turn the biggest threat in the show by far into the ongoing excuse to stall the plot as long as they want

Season 3 has been fucking awful though. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make Janna and Ponyhead main characters while Marco becomes shamelessly obsessed with Mewni should be dragged down the street and shot.

these two both do a similar thing of starting as simple straightforward genre-parody and then later transforming.

Im the user saying Star vs sucks but I was genuinely getting the impression that season 3 might be an improvement. Shame if it's not

It's a bit of a mixed bag, honestly. I love what they're doing with Tom and Star has been pretty decent minus some terrible stuff. It just made some utterly baffling decisions like cramming Janna everywhere and not even bothering to develop certain relationships.

I don't have access to my pics right now, but Tron: Uprising. It started strong, but had very wooden animation at the start. Everything only got better as the season went on.

>TFW we'll never get a second season

Liking SU makes me feel like a battered wife. I wait months for all the hackish, baffling townie shit, but i still watch because the episodes are 11 minutes so why not give them a chance. Then arcs like the Zoo or the Trial happens. It developes, changes the status quo, keeps me guessing, and just reminds me why the show hooked me in the first place. Then a few weeks later its back to the half-baked townie shit.

>liking Steven Universe
>when Land of the Lustrous is airing.

The way bombs go, it feels more like we get one big one hour episode made up of 5 or more chapters two or three times a year rather than getting batches of small episodes.

Not really. The first few episodes typically have the most effort put into them, so if those don't grab your attention, then it's unlikely you'll enjoy the rest of a series.

>finally get to Homeworld
>Lars episode and than Steven finds a way home
>back to townie stuff

Justice League season 1 is generally very mediocre; nothing too great, nothing horrible, just middling as fuck with the occasional highlight such as the Aquaman episode.

Season 2 of Justice League is GOAT level with a bunch of really great episodes (Tabula Rasa, Only a Dream, The Terror Beyond, A Better World, Hereafter and Wild Cards especially). The only weak S2 episodes I'd consider are Hearts & Minds and Eclipsed.

Likewise S1 of JLU starts off as kind of rocky. Initiation is a ho hum intro, Hawk and Dove is a pretty shit episode and I don't really care for This Little Piggy. But once it hits Fearful Symmetry (the Galatea episode) it's basically 10/10 stuff up through the end of the series.

F

I didn't hate earlier episodes, but I thought the premise and villain setup seemed pretty standard, so I didn't think they really stood out apart from some good animation and a few good bits of dark humor.

I still laughed at bits like her thinking football games were war zones, or hitting her version of puberty.

I have to agree with you on that desu

>like the Zoo
>nothing happens the arc
>we just want to post this garbage yellow diamond song
Wow , i hope SU keeps battering you then , you will never learn.

I feel like people wouldn't give the pacing as hard of a time if it had a normal schedule.

But it is kind of jarring going from an episode with genuinely interesting and emotional backstory with foreshadowing of major events to come, only for things to be put on halt for another Ronaldo episode. It leads to kind of a weird sense of disconnect between the best episodes and the more forgettable ones.

>the problem is not the quality of the episodes just the pacing

i am glad i jumped ship and left your retardation after the farm.

And another Mainframe show. It was only in the first season's second half that the characters settled into their roles and the writers developed an idea of what the plot should be.
Many early eps were rough and the pilot in particular I don't care for at all. Although some don't like that the show got super and self-aware as it went, and actually prefer the earlier episodes that relied less on cartoon physics.

Kim Possible gets noticeably much better after its first season. The first season isnt really bad tho, just dated af.

Liking Steven Universe makes me feel like the father of a self-destructive degenerate child. It had so much potential and could have been handled a lot better. I know it has a power to do good but it goes out of its way to piss me off with empty promises and misleading foreshadowing. Now I can't just abandon it. I have to see how it ends. Even if I am in it for the long haul and then it suddenly stops.

>Garnet talks about Pink Diamond
>Steven is not interested in a huge moment in Gem history
Fuck you

Steven Universe was alright when it felt like it might actually get to a point someday.

Every townie episode was like a kick to the dick, and I eventually lost interest entirely.

I have a soft spot for outdated 3d animation.

You'd think people would learn after Adventure Time, which suffered the exact same problems, yet here we are.

>fighting over children's cartoons
I'm proud to be a Sup Forums poster

According to those who have watched the show, Wakfu is kinda shit for the first 4-5 episodes (depends on your views on the Magnificent 5).

It does get significantly better in both animation and writing.

It also gets serious flak for the end of s2.

I liked it, but having Ludo and crew get their asses kicked and retreating in the exact same way consecutively was bad writing.

I thought it was alright from episode 1, but it felt like a typical monster of the week action comedy that was common in the 00's, and Star was a bit too hyperactive at times. Mewberty was the first episode that felt really good to me. I also personally wasn't a fan of the animation of season 1, with the sole exception of Blood Moon Ball (which was uniquely for the season, animated by Rough Draft Korea).

Wander's great from the get go and stays great and fun.

People were blinded by SU's majesty and they've been suffering for their arrogance for over a year now

agreed with the others you have no taste

mercury's work was the best animation on the show

It's entirely possible for a mediocre show to turn good, only to nosedive later.

lolno. Bouncy as shit, and messily tweened, like its animated by crack addicts. If you like that shit, you probably also like drinking diarrhea straight from the toilet.

Sonic Boom

I thought this show was really fucking annoying in the very beginning. But once I adjusted it really fucking grew on me, and by the beginning of the second season I was in love.

At this point I'm clinging onto the slim hopes of a third season

Just looked up this one.
Thanks for sharing user. I think I’m gonna love this.

I'm sure some people did but I was kind of left unimpressed after the first episode. I only decided to give the show another chance a few months later and holy shit am I glad I did. Probably one of my favorite airing shows right now.
Same shit happened to me AGAIN with TLH where the first episode consists of the main character getting a VR headset where you literally "twerk" to kill zombies. I gave it another shot a couple of weeks later and thought it was enjoyable enough to watch the whole series at the time.

This show is notoriously hard to get people to watch because of the first season. I don't even think it's bad, but it gets SO MUCH BETTER.

Then you need to watch it. Only two seasons.

Bug king is best king.

Season 1 has it's moments and sets up some ground work, but Season 2 is where it gets great.
And season 2 is also where it ends,
so I dunno if this counts...

Season 1 was the only season I enjoyed. This worked as a great comedy, then they got weirdly serious and lost their energy. The last good episode was that weird bike chase episode, but that one was such an odd ball in the middle of an otherwise really drab season.

SU is a show that starts good and gets worse

It was cute and comfy. I dont understand how people can hate early Star VS but praise garbage like Infinity Train or Summer Camp Island. Is shipping and muh story arc lorefaggotry all that matters

I liked it from the get-go user, the theme song seemed cute and cheerful and it was all uphill from there. Granted I was most exited for season 2+ because I like the shipfaggery and lore but cozy-ness alone might make the show worth my time.

Agents of Shield has gotten better every season, its legit the only good capeshit on TV rn

Came to post this

the only examples i can think right now are Mia and Me and Regal Academy, after the first season everything does get better for both show

Why are people so hard on Season 1? It's the closest thing I have ever seen to a modern day Looney Tunes, something not even the ACTUAL Looney Tunes can achieve with their countless reboots and spinoffs.

the show that must not be named

After a while you start to read between the lines of SU and realise the meta manipulation going on behind the scenes. There's the shit the writers WANT the show to be about (ie: townie irreverent nonsense mixed in with light magic hijinks) and there's the stuff the audience actually wants (More space rock characters and character development and interactions with them and their strange sci fi society)

The writers deliberately sprinkle tidbits of the latter stuff in just small enough doses to lead you along by the nose while indulging in their own wishes because they know once all the ammunition for the interesting stuff is used up their playground will crash.

Mlp

I've noticed that since Jailbreak. They hype something up, then completely sweep it under the rug with weak explanations, only to stall for so long that the payoff isn't even remotely worth it.

There was no fucking reason Lapis should've fused with Jasper. Even if she wanted her to suffer, she could've easily trapped her in a water bubble or something. It was just a half-assed way of restoring the status quo and spread it out longer. This show is playing us all for saps and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Ponies.

Bojack Horseman
I almost dropped the show after the first few episodes but I kept with it and it got really good.

>she could've easily trapped her in a water bubble or something
Wouldn't Jasper just poof Lapis if she tried something like that?

But yeah they totally squandered Malachite
A fusion abomination living underwater could've been such a badass arc

Babylon 5.

The awful pilot was the reason I didn't watch the show back when it was on. I don't think there's ever been a better example of "stick with it, it gets better".

It made sense for Lapis' character to want to keep Jasper trapped under the ocean in a forced fusion under the ocean, for her own benefit. She wanted control, she wanted someone else to suffer, and she wanted to run away instead of siding Steven and the CGs, the same way she's doing now by flying off with the barn instead of helping Steven.

Malachite was a really cool concept and made Jasper more sympathetic and flawed and interesting, and gave Lapis some flaws that also caused her to become more interesting. The thing that sucks about SU is that they have all these great concepts and plotlines they introduce and build up for super long periods of time, but they never let anyone of these things reach their full potential because they never explore them thoroughly or follow through on the hype they build up for them.

>tfw Garibaldi will never kill Chekov.

The first episode of Sonic Boom is the one where Sonic holds auditions for a new sidekick

That show knew what it was from day 1