Why did this movie make so much money...

Why did this movie make so much money? It got ok reviews and Iron Man 2 was completely forgettable both financially and critically. What was it about IM3 that made people feel like this time they had to go see it to the point where it's still the MCU's 3rd biggest film.

The Avengers was just hot off the presses and a massive hit. Why wouldn't people want to see the next entry in the MCU?

I feel like such a faggot for liking this movie

it's good though

i'm not convinced. the only part i enjoyed was the house party protocol at the end.

First to come out after Avengers + a lot of normies I know only want to pay to watch Iron Man and Avenger movies.

There was also talks about this being RDJ's last MCU movie,

Movies don't get judged on their quality alone. What comes before plays a major role. Which is why Spider-Man 3 made so much money despite being bad. While Justice League got hammered despite being the second least bad DCEU movie.

Avengers + 2 solid Iron Man movies = Bank.

The Phase 2 slump of the MCU culminating in Uktron likely dragged down Antman and the start of Phase 3. Which has only just started picking up.

Debatable as fuck
Honestly the only goo bit was the very end of the third arc with all the Iron Man armors

>despite being bad

This. It was the ultimate case of riding off Avenger's coattails.

Are you really gonna argue that Spider-Man 3 was good?

Iron Man 1 was great.
Avenger was so hot.
Buzz over it possibly being RDJ's last time out as Iron Man.
Didn't matter that 2 was poor, it was forgivable as a sophomore slump.

everything not about the black suit

>Spider-Man 3 was good!
>just ignore one of the major plotlines of the film

>with all the Iron Man armors
meh, I thought that was the weakest. Stark fighting the Extremist and Killian by himself and his one single armour would've been more amazing.

The tone is weird. It has some oddly dark imagery/allusions to Hiroshima bombings and themes dealing with PTSD, including a sub-plot where drug-addicted war veterans are used as suicide-bombers.

But it's possibly also one of the biggest quip-fests in MCU history and it refuses to take itself seriously.

2/3 aint bad

Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark is one of the most well-liked Superhero portrayals of all-time, arguable the best received since Reeves Superman here in the USA.

The Iron Man armor is debatably the coolest superhero onscreen powerset of all time. Particularly worldwide. It strikes the perfect balance of fantastic and realistic. And Iron Man 3 has a fuckton of Iron Man armors.

1) 66% is a D
2) the fact that the movie had 3 plots was in itself a problem

>And Iron Man 3 has a fuckton of Iron Man armors.

Unfortunately he destroyed them all in the end

Hot off of avengers, people wanted to see how the second phase of mcu movies would be, lots of marketing and RDJ was everyone's favorite avenger

What if that kid comes back in a later movie?

>asshurt DC fan wondering why normies like a Marvel movie

these threads are getting so tiresome

No objective discussion, just subjective HAET WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE WHAT I DONT LIKE WHY

Same, whenever I think about how I liked it I remember all the weird choices in design (particularly the fight at Stark's house).

I hate the DCEU, I was just curious why IM3 was one of Marvel's most successful movies considering I don't think anyone would really list it among their favorites. In fact, no one brought consolewar shit except you

Yeah but people didn't know that going in

It's heresy to retcon Uncle Ben's murder with the inclusion of Sandman.

>I hate the DCEU

The first tactic of every DC fan on Sup Forums and Sup Forums is to deny they are a fan of DC so they appear unbiased when they bash Marvel.

You really are not as clever as you think you are.

I'm not bashing Marvel you idiot. I like plenty of Marvel movies more than I like IM3 and I was wondering why IM3 did so well relatively to them. Did you see me ask why it made more money than DC movie? No? Then get your head out of your ass and at least read the thread to see that none of what you're bitching about is going on.

This, tbqh

I only liked it because I love Christmas Black movies and Iron Man, also opening your movie with Eiffel 65 is pure kino. I'm sorry Sup Forums

>OP posts bashing Iron Man 2 and 3

>I'm not bashing Marvel you idiot.
Wow, you are really getting mad, looks like i hit a bullseye with my assessment of you.

I believe the idiot here is you. You dont have to hate every single Marvel movie in one post in order to be a closet DC console warrior.

I didn't personally attack any of the films, all I said were easily checked, though I am getting annoyed by you bringing consolewar shit into a thread that didn't have anything about it. I mentioned the fact that Iron Man 2 and 3 both got ok reviews and that Iron Man 2 did only ok financially because it's true. You can look up box office returns and critic scores. Given those two things, you wouldn't expect IM3 to be the huge runaway success that it was so I was curious what the cause was. Your assessment of me is wrong because I really like Iron Man 1, Winter Soldier, GotG 1/2, and Thor 3. I read DC comics but the DCEU is absolute hot schwarbage aside from Wonder Woman.

>DCfags getting this analblasted
kek

>list a bunch of marvel movies that are great and all the DCEU movies that are terrible
>yur just a DCfag!
are you just shitposting at this point?

People didn't realize Ironman is uninteresting yet. Also a lot of people thought Tony was going to give up being ironman.

Because it was an enjoyable movie if you're not a someone that repeatedly chants "muh-ndarin". I loved that twist but then again I'm still capable of having fun.

Yes, and you are feeding him (You)s.
You COULD stop, you know.

Because normies are faggots who dont mind when great villains get raped by hack directors and they need to be culled for their collective shit taste

Kill yourself, its scum like you that let the cock gobbiling faggot shane black make that insult of a movie without any repercussions

fucking cringe

>Unfortunately he destroyed them all in the end

It's almost like he's a guy who builds armors for a living and could just build more.

Thanos-buster Armor in Avengers 4? Or just a giant orbital Uni-Beam? Or a giant orbital Thanos-buster?

I know that, but it just sucks that he made all those suits and most of them barely did anything on screen

At least it's not Winter Soldier's predictable the good guy was the bad guy all along schlock.

>Tony builds a _____-buster armor.
>It actually busts _____
We ain't in the 616 Universe for sure.

Was the MCU Hulkbuster the first buster to actually bust? I was sure there was one that was successful in the comics.

The whole fucking point of the movie was the suit is just a tool. Do people whine every time Batman doesn't pick up his batarang? Why doesn't Spidey save money by putting unused webs back into his webshooters?

Cap was at odds with Pierce and Brumlow from damn near the start of the movie, the only reveal was that it was a case of Hydra having infiltrated SHIELD, and not SHIELD itself just becoming corrupt from power.

>Do people whine every time Batman doesn't pick up his guns?
Fix'd.

Only worked because Banner help him build it.

And also that Ole Blue Eyes was somehow still alive, holy fuck.

It's enjoyable until the last 30 minutes.

Honestly it's pretty nice that Bruce labbing up with Tony had a number of important story consequences (Vision, Veronica).
It could have easily been a big nothing.

Hm didn't know that
I like that detail

Banner will be driving Veronica in Avengers 3, or so it has been rumored.

>Hulk busts out of Hulkbuster
DCEU can't into that level of pottery

People enjoyed the character in other stuff.
So they'll want to see him in a new thing.

Iron Man 3 is objectively the best Iron Man movie. Also Age of Ultron is better than Avengers.

I've never understood why they get shit on, I mean I can understand having no taste but for you to shit on IM3 and AoU while shilling Avengers and the first couple Iron Man movies is like having anti-taste.

We all know that IM1 is capekino so there's no need to discuss, but I enjoyed IM 2 more than IM3.

come at me

Because Disney/Marvel has the general audience by the balls, anything they make good or bad is making them an ass ton of money. Casuals will eat anything they throw at them.

>I don't think anyone would really list it among their favorites
I would. IM 1, IM 3, and Cap 1 are the only MCU movies I really like and own.

I think Iron Man 3 was the first MCU movie to REALLY feels the pressure of delivering something AMAZING.

I mean, first time we heard of a Iron Man movie, everyone was like,

>lol, let's see this shit with this washed up drug addicted
>wtf, it's good

IM 3 right after Avengers 1... It was the first time people expected something really really good from MCU. Superman, Batman and Spiderman suffers from the same problem since they are infinitely more popular characters

>great villains
lol
>hack directors
Fucking kill yourself. Shane Black is nowhere close to a hack unlike the Russo Bros and Whedon whose dicks I'm sure you suck. Get some fucking taste.

I enjoy both 2 and 3 but only because I really like Tony on his own. I hate him in the Avengers movies.

Age of Ultron wasn't a slump at all, it had the most ridiculous competition that year

>star wars 7 (over 2 billion dollars worldwide)
>jurassic world
>furious 7
>minions

>I've never understood why they get shit on,
They're popular.

3>1>2

I liked 2 better as well. The Tony reconciling with his dad posthumously stuff got to me. Also the drone fight at the end was pretty rad.

>Why did this movie make so much money?
user, I think you are forgetting just how successful and liked is Robert Downey JR. as an actor, not only as Iron-Man. He is easily the best actor in the whole MCU and one of the best in Cinema history.

By that logic Iron Man 2 would have been just as successful. It mainly comes down to being the first film of phase 2 and everyone going crazy for Avengers

Iron Man II is still in the top 25 domestic cape films of all time, a lofty realm where no X-Men film has ever tread. But yes, of course Avengers hype provided an extra boost to the films that followed it.

What's impressive is that Iron Man, Thor and Captain America have all had increased box office with each sequel.

Does the comic version have a cutesy referencial nickname or is it something Whedon and his writers came up with?

*unless you want to count Deadpool, which would be like counting Suicide Squad as a Batman movie.

RDJ is not that great an actor

He just happens to be blessed by being typecast as someone similar to himself - a wry, semi-self centered kinda jackassey dude. There are only a few roles of his I can think of that don't fit that bill.

It's just the Hulkbuster in comics.
Or "that thing that the Hulk just kicked the shit out of, hey are you all right in there Tony?"

>there are so many superhero films at this point that entire franchises that make a shit ton of money are outside the top 25
Jesus Christ

A considerable percentage of the A-list don't play too far from what's considered their public persona in movies. They are judged on their ability to convincingly portray emotion and affect the audience.
The Daniel Day Lewis' of the world are pretty rare in Hollywood.

>yfw I own absolutely all of them
Still waiting on Steel and Supergirl Blu Rays, you WB bastards.

but why? There are a number of those movies where there's no way you're convincing me you enjoy them.

Mojo puts the tally at 122 after Justice League.

No one on earth enjoyed Super Ex-Girlfriend. But it cost me less than 5 bucks.
Some of them are fun to watch with friends and laugh at.

>No one on earth enjoyed Super Ex-Girlfriend

See, I know this is going to sound like companywar shit but let's compare what you can do with that type of idea
>someone in the AoU writing room thought "hey, Betty, Veronica, Betty Ross, Veronica Hulkbuster, get it?"
>they just call the thing Veronica in the movie, don't call any attention to the reference
>someone in the BvS writing thought "hey Martha Wayne. Martha Kent. wow"
>they built the climax of the movie around this, clumsily call attention to it and explain it painfully complete with flashbacks and Lois going "it's his mommy!"

And not to sound like a complete drone I'll point out that Whedon is far from always being this elegant in AoU, like when he calls attention to his bait and switch death scene with QS' wink dialogue.

It's a fun reference to Veronica being the "mean girl"
And while AoU's story is pretty basic superhero trope, BvS's story feels like it was banged out by 3 monkeys wiping their asses on random DC comics.

>people gave such little shit about Super Ex=Girlfriend that there's a typo in the critic consensus

You need to go back and look at his early work.

Was pretty disappointed with what they did to Mandarin though.

I think it's a really, really good movie up to the like, 50 minute mark. Whenever it is he leaves the small town (I know people hate the kid, but I thought he was a solid actor), it takes a dip in quality.

Except the plane scene, that plane scene is great.

I hated the mandarin. No, I don't mean the silly reveal.
I hated the retarded muh evil sandnigger terrorist being evil, american sensibilities applied in a universe with superheroes, what is fucking Al-Qaeda gonna do in a world with the Avengers? Even worse, the real villain is AGAIN a white asshole because anything else would be racist. It both implies Americans are retarded and that corporations are evil (coming from fucking Disney of all places).

To make matter worse, it left comic fans with blue balls from what could be the MCU's first tech vs magic movie, and a giant humbling of Tony's character by proving he can also be biased and bigoted as the universe he lives in clearly has magic. Thor doesn't count when he flat out says to Foster (a.k.a. the audience) that magic and technology are the same to Asgardians. This is even worse when you consider we eventually got Dr. Strange, which was atrociously disappointing in the magic system department, but that's both subjective and technically not the topic at hand.

Can't speak for other people but I did enjoy how they managed to have a superhero movie about the surge of anti-terrorism gurus post-9/11

People can't settle with with good anymore. They want transcendent films thatre always better than the last but in no way different than the first

It was even worse than IM2.

Am I going insane. Why does the internet hate Iron Man 2 but normies outside of it love the film.

Seriously ask any normie in the street what MCU film is their top 5 and Iron Man 1 and 2 are always neck in neck. I've been to Murica, Canada, Australia etc and all normies I've met had this taste.
Yet the internet keeps saying 2 is universally hated. Wtf is this conspiracy.

Same. I'll never understand the hate IM 2 gets.

>Wtf is this conspiracy.
That's what I want to know! IM2 is seriously a contender for 'most fun' Marvel film in my book. I even like the supposed terribad villain.

I list it among my favorites. I used to think it was better than 1 actually but now i realize it's kind of an exaggeration, still pretty good

>completely forgettable both financially and critically.
What does this even mean?

The internet "hates" IM2 because it's the fucking internet, but many agree it's the lesser movie of the trilogy for various reasons, mainly because it comes off as a rushed sequel made to bank on the success of the first and to promote the upcoming Avengers. Some consider the ending uninteresting because it consists in "Iron Man fights a bigger Iron Man" just like the first. Rourke bitched in interviews that he wanted his character to be more fleshed out but apparently some of that material was cut. The other villain was an evil business man, again, like the first movie. Hardcore comics fans complain that the movie wasted the Demon in a bottle plotline. The subplot about the mysterious element Howard wanted Tony to discover feels messy and too convenient at times

These are the major gripes people seem to have (and i partially agree with them), but as you're saying the movie is still liked

I've seen the opposite, everyone I've talked to automatically says it's awful
Though honestly it wasn't that bad
>Some consider the ending uninteresting because it consists in "Iron Man fights a bigger Iron Man" just like the first
This seems like the most common complaint

Personally I can't say I like it as much as the other IM films 'cus Tony's arc, while alright, just felt lacking compared to IM1/3 and ugh can't stand Black Widow's scenes.

>the plane scene was great
Dat Unibeam.