X-men Phase 1

Okay we know that Fox is currently talking to Disney about selling the studio. So instead of just cramming it straight into the MCU, they create a subsidiary studio with the X-men.

So how would you do a 'Phase 1' of the X-men universe. Entirely reboot but could use some of the same actors like Dafne Keen.

I just want the Fantastic 4 to be back and to have them make a period piece taking place in the 60s.

I don't fucking understand why everyone wants it in the 60's

Hard to say really. The twins got their powers through HYDRA fucking with just one Infinity Stone, perhaps after Avengers 4 the aftermath of the Infinity Gems fucking with reality inadvertently creates the mutant X Gene. Really all I want to see is a manlet actor cast as the new Wolverine, and they put his ass in a costume.

AESTHETIC

Just have the current MCU be an alternate timeline in which there were never mutants. The FOX universe gets destroyed or something and the surviving mutants move to the MCU. They'd still be hated and discriminated against because they'd now be essentially aliens.

Shit, I just want them to pick Triumph and Tragedy as the basis of a Doctor Strange 2 film and introduce Doctor Doom there.

Think about it; what better way to introduce the Fantastic Four than to put Doom forward first in a separate film so you don't have to worry about establishing him in the first Fantastic Four outing? It'll still be Strange's film and can focus on his perspective throughout.

Not to mention this is also where Stephen gets the title of Sorcerer Supreme.

>the Fantastic 4 went through the portal in the 60s and Dr strange brings em back from another dimension

Because they lack the imagination for fun superscience in a modern setting.

You don't have to put them in the fucking 60s. I'm tired of period pieces

I think it makes just as much sense for mutants to be something that has been around in small numbers for awhile but suddenly springing up in 2017 as it did in the 60's.

Mutants haven't always been a well-known thing in the comics, either. They have to start appearing sometime.

It just makes sense to me for the Fantastic Four. Super science with that level of optimism doesn't fit very well past then.

Are you that guy who keeps pushing his F4 pitch? Captain Marvel is already set in the 90s, stop pulling heroes from different decades

I have no idea what you're talking about?

There's multiple people in every thread.

I rarely see repeats, too. People just want this to happen because Silver Age superscience pulpy shenanigans would make for a different movie.

That's dumb, I want it to be nowadays so they can interact with other characters. Hulk can fight the Thing, Spidey and Torch can hang out, etc. X-Men First Class did the 60s period piece thing, it ended up being the beginning of their continuity getting so fucked up.

>Phases
Nah fuck off with that, just let them make movies without trying to go for some grand unimportant overhyped tentpole

Hard fucking reboot. Fox's X-men had some ups and downs, but regardless, it's run its course. It's time for a fresh new direction not shackled with the baggage of the previous iteration.

Time for characters who've been shafted to take a bigger role, like Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Nightcrawler, or any other character who've been under utilized. Also, keep the team small and consistent. One thing the Fox films have failed to do is keep to one focused team and developing them. They were always concerned with trying to jam as many mutants at once, with little in the way of character development. Get a team, and run with it. Pic related is a great one to start, but any number of 5 member teams would be fine. If you want Rogue or Kitty , or Beast or Jean instead that's fine, but a core team that is consistent should be the key.

And be mindful of future characters. Don't just throw them away and only use them as a power or vfx showcase, make them characters.

For fuck sakes, we live in a world where characters like Groot and Rocket have more character development in one film than Cyclops and Storm do across multiple X-men movies. This needs to be rectified more than anything.

I'd pay good money to see The Hulk fight The Thing. Better yet, if Ruffalo gets sick of this, Ben can be the new muscle of the MCU.

I know the 80s and 90s were all about deconstructing idealism but aren't we a bit past that now?

How would it make for a different movie, aren't there literally movies made in the 60s like that? And the actual FF comics?

It was also the best one.

>full reboot
>early Claremont
>period-accurate team
>actual costumes
>trilogy culminating in an actual Dark Phoenix Saga, Hellfire Club and Shi'Ar and all, and Jean dies and stays dead
My dick is ready.

How would this be deconstructing? I'm literally saying that the tones wouldn't work outside of the setting, if anything it's just construction.

I think I would start with X-Men and X-Factor. X-Men movies would primarily be about becoming mutants and dealing with life changes and mutant descrimination and experimentation. Maybe kin do of like Gifted except bigger budget/large scale adventure.

X-Factor would be government sponsored "Avengers", beyond belief villains and threats to earth being thwarted by an mutant covert team. Shit like the phalanx and brood...maybe Apocalypse would be the big crossover event movie.

Maybe other X titles get put in, maybe a gritty X-force movie. I still incist Xstatix would make a great faux reality TV show.

It sucked ass and it's about time people stop pretending otherwise because there are a couple of good actors in it and they wear partially yellow suits for half of the movie.
It set up the JLaw and Magneto-centric universe that plagued the franchise since then with an awful love triangle plot and the stupid decision to have Mags start out as an X-Man, it had some awful acting aside from Fass and McAvoy, it had some completely stupid plot points, poorly acted pointless foreign language scenes full of miming and pointing at maps so that the audience understands what the fuck is going on, a host of non-characters who feel like they belonged in an earlier draft that got scrapped, some horrendous CG at parts, ...

No dude, I'm not saying your proposition is deconstruction, I'm saying the cynical worldview of the 80s and 90s was a deconstruction of the 50s-60s idealism that seeps through in works like FF, and we're past that at this point. Plenty of people have a positive outlook on the benefits of science these days, including shit that people 30 years agot hoght was goofy like space colonization.

There's just no reason that has to happen in the 60's.

>I don't fucking understand why everyone wants it in the 60's

The F4 with their original 616 origin are pure cheese from a different time that doesn't work in a modern setting.

Wanting that is just people saying they don't want the F4 being revised to 'modern' versions.

I mean, for example that last F4 movie did their modernized Ultimate Universe style origin. That movie was obviously very bad but other than some wonky aspects (like Sue, uh, being left behind when they go on the dimensional trip but randomly getting powers anyway?) the origin story was the least of it's problems.

And still managed to be better than the rest

I haven't seen Apoocalypse but DofP was better than FC.

Look at the Iron Man movies, same thing. A super scientist based super hero in the modern world, zero optimism. Every single one of them is about how science is evil unless wielded by Tony Stark

Yes it fucking does you retard. Look, this is all you need for a F4 movie to work
>A strong emphasis on family
>The characters are explorers first, heroes second
>Outrageous/next level science shenanigans
Thats it. The 60s aren't a requirement for this. In the MCU, aliens are confirmed, so naturally Reed should be giddy at the possibilities. Everyone else on Earth is worried about some other invasion, or otherworldly threat coming to destroy humanity, while Reed serves as an example of trying to reach out and discover more, to be a part of the universe rather than hiding away.

>The F4 with their original 616 origin are pure cheese from a different time that doesn't work in a modern setting.
No they're not, that makes no sense. There's nothing more or less cheesy about them than any of the other Marvel characters.

How is "bit by a radioactive spider" not the epitome of cheese, but being in an accident in a rocket is?

It just makes no sense to me why FF keeps being singled out for this when all the other Silver Age Marvel heroes are fine. You have people trying to make all kinds of concessions and explanations for how the movie can be set in the 60's and still have them in the modern day when it would be easier to just set it in the modern day in the first place.

Look at Marvel's other heroes:
Spider-Man, went from being bitten by a spider blasted with rays to a genetically engineered spider.
Hulk, went from a gamma bomb test to a gamma ray experiment.
Cap, went from a serum to a full on treatment.
Thor had the entire Donald Blake persona removed.
Iron Man went from being powered by transistors to being powered by a science magic battery.

Everyone else works fine with just minor updates, why can't the FF?

THIS

No one in 2018 is going to let a guy bring his unqualified best friend, girlfriend and her brother into space.

Any design that has Wolverine wearing armor is fucking stupid as hell.

Plus there are people actually working on personal space exploration right now. How much of a leap is it to put Elon Musk's work a decade ahead?

>How is "bit by a radioactive spider" not the epitome of cheese

The last two incarnations of Spider-Man not accidentally 1) wrapped the spider bite origin inside a convoluted grand conspiracy plot and 2) completely ignored it

You don't read comics, do you. Iron Man in the 60s was the exact fucking same.
It's not an era thing.

>The F4 with their original 616 origin are pure cheese from a different time that doesn't work in a modern setting.
Bullshit. Reed was using Chitauri technology to go into space, but a solar flare disables it and sends it to the blue area of the moon where they discover they have new and strange powers and a new threat will come to Earth.

They think it's Doom, but the end tease will reveal it's Galactus.

The F4 come from a time when space exploration was an optimistic thing, uncharted territory

Now it basically no longer exists outside of a fringe hyper-capitalist

I mean if you think a story can work by turning Musk into a superhero, sure, go for it

>'60s
>Optimism

Nigga, the '60s was when everyone thought the end of the world was five minutes from now, society had a massive upheaval, and everything sucked. The president's head got blown wide-fucking-open during a parade.

>Reed wants to showcase his new spacecraft design, but NASA won't fund him because of his past fuckups with dangerous experiments. That, and everyone is wary about reaching out into the stars before properly ensuring Earth's future security
>Reed then decides to build the damn thing himself, prove that it works, and thus allow humanities first big step in interstellar travel with an illegal first flight
>Doom funds it
>Ben, Sue, and Johnny all join him
>Accident happens
>Ship is later repurposed into the fantasticar

No one would send a guy with a bow and arrow on missions involving mythical Gods come to life or alien invasions either.
Set it in a colonization story, where people are selected for various reasons other than simply being Mr. Science dude. Also has the benefit of surfing on the Mars colonization trend like the original FF surfed on space exploration.

Musk as Reed will be the best Sup Forums casting in all of history desu

Is it weird that I want Viggo Mortensen as Victor Von Doom?

First of all, it's more about the fashion. Secondly, if he's armored, he can take a hit without having to take time to heal. He can get hit and keep on fighting at 100%.

I guarantee I read more than you. The tone that they put forth suits a more optimistic point of time. If they announced a Shadow or Doc Savage movie I'd want it in the 30s-40s, if they announced another Green Hornet I'd want it in the 60s too

No now I want that too!

don't let mistique be the focus again

But Wolverine is a berserker. The psychology of turning him into swiss cheese with birdshot and he's still coming at you is worth way more than chest plate.

Getting shot for no reason is dumb

Not really concerned with body armor, just the yellow costume itself. He wants to get shot, to be a walking target. Because he can take the hits his teammates can't

The idea of optimism in post-war America is a fabrication of the '80s. People in the '50s and '60s were absolutely psychologically broken by WWII and that shows in a lot of the films that were popular at the time.

Yeah but there's panels where he's so badly injured that he can't move until done healing. So yeah, the armor is overal dumb but I understand what the artist was going for.

You completely shifted the goalposts of the argument though, from "the tone would only fit the 60s" to "I prefer period pieces". Other difference with your other examples that the FF comics have been set in lots of other periods aside from the 60s. It's like saying "I only want a Superman movie set in the 40s".

Visual storytelling, you don't give armor to the berserker because it shows how reckless he is.

Lol what? Why would they create a SEPARATE universe?

You put them in the Marvel Universe in some way, via TV show, movies and more. People want Wolverine with Capt America and the rest of them

Yeah, all those upbeat musicals had to have been made by people fucked psychologically
>you've completely changed you argument to words I'm putting in your mouth
Get fucked

And Wolverine is dumb. It's a match made in heaven.

Huh. That's a good point.

Seriously dude? Where is the "scientific optimism is a thing of the 60s" part of your argument here ?
Well done ignoring the rest of the post too. I get that you don't want to argue anymore but you don't have to be rude about it.

X-Men/mutants already don't work well in the shared 616 comic world, they're not going to work better in a shared MCU

They will most likely reboot the whole thing like they did with Spiderman. I hope they don't use Magneto and Wolverine righ away, keep them for the sequel.

Just start with a modified O5 cast (like Storm instead of Angel) and follow the comic's lore. It should do just fine.

Not in a million years.

First, I want to keep the good stuff FOX was building so consider the following:

>kill Jennifer Lawrenceverse
we are tired of it already

>keep Deadpool (Xavier's exists already in DP but the x-men, except Piotr are missing)
>keep the new New Mutants (we don't know if it will be good but I have high hopes for it)
>Madrox's X-Factor with James Franco (there are rumors already) dealing with the shit left by the X-men since they went missing
>DP 3 (more Cable Mr Sinister/first appearance of Maddie Pryor) / NM 2 (warlock/magus, first Xavier appearance, Hellfire Club intro)

>Finally a main X-men movie: team is already established (Fury barely knows something), Jean is already dead. Lost in a space adventure involving the Shi'ar empire)

what do you guys thinks about saving these movies

Its best just to start from scratch, and not to needlessly confuse the stupid audience. Not that it really matters, every X Men movie is basically the same, with them becoming the team at the end every damn time

He may be able to heal, but I'm sure that getting bullet'd still hurts like a bitch.

It's almost as if society is made up of a number of individuals with different outlooks and emotions holding a variety of differing opinions and making different choices.

People were as they are now: shitty, with a sprinkle of hope and decency here and there. Anyone telling you otherwise is a ignorant sumbitch.

Too much baggage to bring to the MCU
Reynolds as Deadpool is fine though

new actors period

They'll completely start from scratch, including scrapping Deadpool altogether. I wish they wouldn't and start to bring out "darker" films like a Blade reboot, but Disney probably isn't going to risk damage their family friendly image.

Hard reboot, starting with these two hacks

>Yeah, all those upbeat musicals had to have been made by people fucked psychologically
You don't seem to understand that entertainment tend to be portraying the reverse of what people really feel. Some of the most emo and dark periods in entertainment was in the 90's, when people were optimistic and happy. There was even game shows where the contestants get insulted by the host as a selling point. While during the Great Depression is when all the happy shows are made, because people want to feel better.

If you make sad shows when it is sad in real life, you wouldn't make money. And the same is true with making happy shows in good times.

Are you kidding? The fact that you can progress in the MCU, as opposed to the comics means they would work infinitely better there.
Assuming they somehow get shoved into an ALL-NEW MCU thanks to reality warping in Infinity War, you can do a couple semi-period piece X-Men movies set anywhere before Iron Man 1 and in all other movies just act like mutants have been there the whole time.

the thing about deadpool is that we can have him and cable going into a fucked up portal device and landing in the MCU

WHAT IS WITH YOU PEOPLE AND PERIOD PIECES!? God damn, you sound like WB trying to make Wonder Woman 2. I'd rather avoid the needless bullshit trying to bring them up to speed in modern day.

How about we just not make a cinematic universe because when I think X-Men, my least favorite stories are cheap, pg-13 action-because-we-had-to stories. Keep it like Deadpool, Legion and the Gifted. Branch out with weird shit like what they're doing with New Mutants. It'll be a great way to avoid the action comedy superhero crash when it comes and we might just get worthwhile movies out of it.

>All these people saying optimism and technology are incompatible
Have you heard about this little unknown franchise called STAR TREK?

>Avengers vs X-Men (adapting Time Runs Out)
Pure fan service get as many returning cast members from both series as possible. In the end both Earths smash into each other and create a new MCU allowing for recasts where needed.

>Weapon X
Origins of Wolvie Deadpool Sabertooth and others, end has Wolvie meeting Xavier. Cameo Captain America.

>Storm
Once the mouse buys the fox i think we can all agree the Carol Danvers experiment is over and Ororo will be pushed to the moon over the other X-Women. Storm origin film. Black Panther cameo. Leads into next film.

>Uncanny X-Men (adapting Ultimate X-Men)

Magneto and the Brotherhood(Quicksilver Blob Mastermind Mystique Destiny Avalanche Pyro) attack the White House exposing Mutants to the world. Scott Jean Logan Ororo Hank Kurt Bobby Emma and Piotr are the team sent to stop them. Cameo the New Mutants and other student wallpaper.

>Wolverine vs the Hulk
Adapting the Wendigo story minus Dept.H

>Storm and Black Panther
Casuals love them

>Ultimate War
X-Men are caught in the middle of a war between SHIELD and the Brotherhood. Rogue is introduced Emma betrays the X-Men, Scarlet Witch betrays the Avengers, Magneto wins.

>Wolverine and Spider-Man
2 best friends hatch a get rich quick scheme.

>House of M
Revised origin of Magneto family and how QS survived Age of Ultron. Ends with Magneto swearing vengeance against the world.

>Ultimatum
Avengers and X-Men unite to stop Magneto from destroying the world. SW QS and Rogue all have face turns. Ends with humanity hating mutants even more and the start of the Sentinel program.

My wishlist...

Deapool 2...
> Domino gets naked.

Dark Phoenix..
> Mags & Mystique are only small cameos.
> Cyclops & Jean are the overwhelming focus of the film.
> They keep the outfits from the end of Apocalypse.
> They darken Beast fur, his tone of blue is just way too fake.

Gambit...
> Give us a faithful outfit, head piece & everything, have the "pink" chest piece be a crimson piece of semi translucent armor. Have a dark ruby kinda look to it even under bright light.

Longterm...
> Cast Antje Traue (faora) as a lead villain in some future film. Miss Sinister?
> Bring Munn's Psylocke back with the sexy outfit.

>Disney gets back X-Men
>finally lets them go into space
>People claim they've been turned into a GOTG ripoff

>> Cast Antje Traue (faora) as a lead villain in some future film. Miss Sinister?
Selene?
Viper?

>Storm and Black Panther
Pleaso no
Not this shit again

I always wanted a madame Hydra that could fuck Chris America so we can have Agent Carter x Viper

Remember what Captain America says, never trust a mutie, kids!

Disney has Halloween costumes to sell to black couples you bet your sweet ass it's happening again sweetheart.

>Fox is currently talking to Disney about selling the studio
What? sauce?

The basic premise behind the merger would be this:

The two universes were once one, mostly mirroring the continuity found in the comics. When Wanda said "No More Mutants" she split the universes apart, moving all the mutants into their own universe without other supers. It's why she and Quicksilver are present in both universes.

The Fantastic Four were erased from the timeline by Doom in a separate event.

What I would do is have the movie set in the 60's and have the accident happen sort of like in the Ultimate books, where they get shunted off to another universe. Have them go up against Annhilus or something, and when they get back to the home dimension, it's modern day.

Stinger is the news of the FF being found, and Doom is watching from Latveria. He says, simply, "Richards."

Fox has been trying to sell off TV and Film studios while keeping News, Sports and the TV stations for a while.

So essentially the same shit we got with Captain America and most likely Captain Marvel?

It is the MCU.

Mostly, I'm saying save Doom for the sequel. Don't dump your wad.

You can still do that without tossing the F4 in another decade

Because these comic fans not comic writers. They don't think outside the box. There's easily way more potential to have the fantastic four be famous in a contemporary time than fish out of water from the 60's. These are people who love a story and can't see it any other way, not people who write stories.

>reboot logan
No thanks

>F4 go to space
>Get blasted by paranormal cosmic storm
>Come back with super powers.
So you'll believe a radioactive spider bite in modern day, but not cosmic rays? That said, teenage Peter Parker makes the most sense in 1960s with print still being on the boom

And the Alba Fantastic 4 was better than Silver Surfer and the reboot Fantastic 4, but that doesn't make it good.

All of the FoXmen movies have been terrible, Logan was tolerable at best but still overrated, carried by the reputation of Old Man Logan for comic fans, and being unique for normies.

Its a shame too, because Jackman owned that role and now Wolverine has become synonymous with his identity.

Logan wants physical pain, he thinks its retribution for all the sins of his past, and its never enough. Its the reason he puts himself through constant battles with his teams.

>All of the FoXmen movies have been terrible,
objectively wrong

please fuck off