What went right?

What went right?

One was written by a woman and the other by a man

Kenan is likable

I kinda wish you'd edit Kenan and give him slant eyes

I didn't know New Superman was written by a woman.

Yang is literately the smartest man working in Big 2 comics compared to Rivera who is entering the medium for the first time

>tall but not freaky in a Yao Ming way
Kek

>honors and respects the real Superman
>knows he's a bootleg but doesn't give a shit
Also the fact that Kenan isn't a mary-sue, and isn't being lazily shoehorned into anything

Yang is a genius and Gabby is a fraud

I never found America to be bad outside of her solo though. A little annoying, but she was basically Flanderized in her own book. Pretty shitty tbqh.

Is this slanted enough?

I felt the same way about America.

Those tiny specs were bothering me immensely.

Well for one thing Kenan is an actual Chinese person, written by an Asian American writer who gives a shit about the culture he's writing about.

America Chavez is literally an alien pretending to be a latina, written by a fat pseudo-rican who doesn't seem to know anything about her own culture, down to being shit at Spanish.

The titles need work.
>The Virgin Bruja

>The Chad Chink

Underrated post.

In the story time thread an user pointed how America was essentially Icon in terms of origin story but done absolutely wrong.

nice one

Alright Sup Forums here's the deal.
You can make any changes to Marvel but you have to write a good America Chavez story that's genuinely good and not The Room kind first in order to do so.
Hard Mode: You have to consider Gabby's run of the character for your run and not start from scratch

Is she a Patriot?She believe in the american dream?She ever called US the best country in the world?

cancel the book and have her full time with the Ultimates and up the inter dimensional shit

he looks extra smug now, it's perfect

Put her on a cosmic level team with Alpha, Starbrand, Nightmask, and Singularity.

In theory, having America and Alpha constantly in a dick measuring contest while everyone else is just trying to be friends will make both of them more tolerable.

Now whenever I see this, this comes to mind.

>Starbrand
Didn't Starbrand just die? At the start of the cavemen thing?

This. They're not funny if they're not simple. Adding more than one word after Virgin or Chad kills it.

says?

Bravo

"Brevity...wit"

Kenan's character isn't dependent entirely upon his being Chinese or being heterosexual. There is more to his personality than his nationality.

America's character, in her solo at least, is built entirely upon her being Latina and a lesbian. There is very little else to America's personality other than that.

There you go

Just pretend it didn't happen. It was retarded, out of character, and made no sense anyway.

i dont get it

Kenan's whole story and motivation involves his identity though

>literally an alien
I don't read Marvel shit. Explain please.

Identity as a Chinese person in a white man's world, or identity as a Chinese bootleg of an American hero?

She is from a utopian lesbian universe

No. I don’t know how to put it, but I feel like the people who use her have no real respect for this country and only use it to prove they are “more American” than the stupid racist rednecks they’ve deluded themselves into thinking are everywhere.

She punched Hitler once who was on the battlefield for some reason

Honestly neither. He is learning to master his powers, but it's not really about being a ripoff of Superman. Internal exploration shit mostly, and that aspect does use Chinese themes.

Who's the America Expy?

Why call her miss america then? If she don't love america, america culture or ideals?She's not even america so what the point of the name?

IIRC it was done as a joke

She's from a utopian society in a parallel universe that conveniently has a culture that is almost identical to Latin-American culture, but isn't actually Latin American.

When she came to earth, one of her first decisions was which culture to acclimate herself towards. Some random guy gave her a taco, she enjoyed it, and basically said "Well I guess I'm Latin-American now".

was this before or during Gabby's run?

Christ, just imagine the fiasco that would have come about if she was given fried chicken or a bowl of ramen.

Before. Rivera at first tried to justify it by saying that she'd actually gone through multiple South and Central American communities to 'acclimate' herself in to it, which just wound up making things worse, then just gave up and said "Well her home dimension had latin culture too, fuck you."

I meant the taco part

>Weaboo America Chavez
>Wannabe Wigger America Chavez

Have her begin combining her portal powers with wrestling moves. Have exciting action scenes. Give her a better villain than pure whiteness and some garbage conspiracy to make her box her crush in las vagas.

Have her grandma be more like her Mister Miyagi and a wrestling coach.

Tacos are indeed so good you temporarily become Mexican after eating one. That's the only thing she got right in that comic.

This is such a poor character to try to push the culture aspect on really. Gabby is new to capeshit so she probably took the first job she could get, but surely there are genuine Latina characters she could have written instead. Marvel should not have let this book get written from that perspective.

One didn't trigger Sup Forums, the other did

How could anyone think something like Pan-Latino could ever work?! So many of those countries hate each other’s guts. Same thing goes for Pan-Africanist. These people have to have suffered major brain damage i their life.

Holy shit that's unironically the worst backstory of a character that I ever saw, literally worse than sonichu

Is almost like the author wanted it to be fucking awful

>Some random guy gave her a taco, she enjoyed it, and basically said "Well I guess I'm Latin-American now".
Can you post an image of this moment?
It's not mentioned in any wiki

It was an older Hispanic lady, cause there are no good men in the America Chavez comic. The power of tacos made her a latina, it's a special kind of stupid that has to be witnessed personally.

They could simply make her a young latina american child of immigrants that really loves US and the concept of "american dream" and wanted to join the army.

That would make a great cute story, I don't get it why comics don't show non white patriots, that would be a great way to combat white nationalism, making minorities that hate america culture will only feed distrust

tl dr: make a patriot cute latina that want to be like captain america instead of a non american shilling an alien culture

All-America Comix

>or a bowl of ramen
America's entire cultural background is broke college freshman who blew through their meal plan early or hipster foodies who are so over pho.

Did that ever get released?

Illegal Immigrant Son of Zod Superman is America Chavez done right

>fiasco
No those would've been great.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be deeper than an alien that happened to look hispanic like how most aliens happen to look white, they just made it weird when people started praising the character for being diverse

Yes you do

I always loved how he is still treated like a little boy by his mother and that he doesnt want to disappoint her by showing he has already lost his faith

>holy menstruation
Honestly I kind of want to see an exporation of how an all female society might assign religious significance to mensturation.

So the situation was shit even before giving it to a writer who was doomed to fail? Is Marvel going to pull out of comics to focus on other stuff entirely? Because it seems that way on all fronts.

Also everybody from her dimension is female

Even in our mixed cultures there some weirdness about it. Sometimes uncleanliness, sometimes holiness because it's lifeblood. But I guess you'd first have to explain why they menstruate at all. Surely reproduction would be different.

I like the joke that Wiccan made an all gay universe first and felt bad about it.

>Christ, just imagine the fiasco that would have come about if she was given fried chicken
that character exists, she's currently Ironman

Yang is a good writer and knows what he's writing about. His writing is fun and you even learn about Chinese culture and myths when reading his comic.

Rivera is a shit writer who knows shit about being Latina (inb4 that one user that gets butthurt when people question her ethnicity) and just writes wanky and self indulgent shit. You lose braincells with America.

niiice

Well when she was first introduced they didn't really bother trying to explain it. She was just an alien from an alternate universe who happened to look and speak like a Bronx Latina. The moment they pushed her as the first Latin-American LGBT character to get her own solo series and actually had to *justify* it was when things basically fell apart.

>She's from a utopian society in a parallel universe that conveniently has a culture that is almost identical to Latin-American culture, but isn't actually Latin American.

First thing I do if I was an EiC at Marvel was retcon that shit, what was Gillen even smoking when he wrote that? It's so fucking stupid and messy as fuck.

Also funny that she's a dimension hopper considering Kid Loki trapped her in another dimension and she was stuck there until Ultimate Nullifier rescued her butt.

Even worse, it was a plate of peas and rice. Not even a kind of food closely associated with Latin culture in popular consciousness, but a plate of arroz con gandules, a dish no one outside the Puerto Rican community even cares about.

Have her get stranded in mexico and have to action hero her way through the cartel.

well true but it IS very important to the PR's. Whats hilarious is this turned into some kind of generic latina-ness. Even though the different latin countries/ethnicity are as different from each other as various European states. The soft racism is hilarious. In trying to be inclusive they reduce Latin America to a single size fits all ethnic onsie.

Fuck, if they really want her to be Latina - why isn't she Catholic?

>can teleport but can’t handle long distance relationships

Ok that’s quite the coincidence. I hope this is some secret Latino trope like Black peoples and Lightning powers

The comic did give him more depth, it frustrated me how the movie we never learned his name but Bruce Timm said at a SDCC panel that he didn't even thought of giving him a name other than Superman and the comic people gave him the name of Hernan Guerra.

But Hernan isn't really a common Mexican name, mainly because of Hernan Cortez.

But user, cartels are scary. Female superheroes are not allowed to face actually threatening enemies, only quirky morons.

You don't really need to explain it due to the alt-universe. Even the "dimension of only lesbians" thing doesn't require them to explain that there are Bronx Latinas, since there are plenty of alt-universes that are basically "regular Earth but X," where in this case it'd be "regular Earth but everyone's a lesbian." It's only when you add, "her home dimension is nothing like Earth at all," is when things get messy. Rivera herself added the other alternate universe to explain why the Utopian parallel had Latino culture on it, which still ultimately fell flat. Ironically by trying to explain away the fact that America is basically Wiccan's fanfic OC come to life Gabby only made America seem more like a fanfic OC come to life.

That doesn’t sound like a Gillen move, he’s usually not on the nose about ethnicity/race/gender stuff from what I remember of the Young Avengers it was just an alternate universe/timeline where Wiccan was god wizard of reality and she lived in like, a Themyscira pocket universe

>tl dr: make a patriot cute latina that want to be like captain america instead of a non american shilling an alien culture

Plenty of Latino's are very patriotic too. They love America and hate illegal immigrants

Found the page

I think it was more Rivera trying to signal her status as a Nuyorican than making it into some kind of generic Latina-ness. For all her trying to make America seem like this pan-Hispanic figure she's pretty much the same as any solidly Americanized big city Latina.

Except these are Marvel cartels, they dress in costumes and have secret bases in Aztec temples.

>Aztec drug cartel
>kill people to sacrifice to the gods
>sell drugs so people die as sacrifice to the gods

it makes a kind of sense

It's a 'mexican villain' though so it's okay. SJW characters always conform to stereotypes under the guise of 'diversity'.

>Robbie Reyes as to be a more mexican-looking Ghost Rider and drive a souped-up dodge charger, because mexicans like the Fast and the Furious movies, not motorcycles
>Black girl Iron Man has to be named RiRi and have a giant afro
>The whole thing with Jason Momoa Aquaman and the Iron Fist push

Not even Sup Forums, but America Chavez is successful based on literally just the name and design. The whole concept is 'mexican girl captain america', which SJWs go nuts for. Just look at their redesigns sometime, they just paint characters a different ethnicity in the most stereotypical, borderline-racist way, like that somehow makes them 'cooler'.

Ok so she traveled the world. Why not emphasize that?

Yeah I don't remember culture being mentioned at all in YA. I think her moms were dressed in like spacesuits or something?

Fuck I'm not checking.

DC did it first

>>Black girl Iron Man has to be named RiRi and have a giant afro
don't forget them dick suckin lips

>pretending pre-SJW characters are SJW just because of modern shitposters

fuck off

>Robbie Reyes
>Ironheart
>not SJW

None of those are pre-SJW though. SJW isn't as recent as you think, it goes back almost a decade.

Totally unrelated, Tumblr was created 10 years ago this year

Well this move wound up pissing SJWs off, funnily enough, because 1. It basically confirmed that America Chavez is only latina through what is basically cultural appropriation, and 2. It implies that there is a single monolithic Latino culture that America has acclimated herself in to. It was only after this justification fell flat that Gabby went with the "America's home universe is latino too" justification to sooth people over.

Who was it who revealed that America came from a different planet? Was it Gillen?

>2. It implies that there is a single monolithic Latino culture that America has acclimated herself in to

This is a valid complaint

>1. It basically confirmed that America Chavez is only latina through what is basically cultural appropriation

This one not so much. I mean she's a little girl then, in the comic. If it's what you're raised in, from childhood, it's not really appropriation is it?

Hm. If a white kid is raised in a latino household by latino parents who keep a latino culture - are they Latino?

I feel like this is one of those 'logic error' problems that would make SJW heads explode like telling a robot "This statement is false"

America wasn't. Robbie isn't. Riri is.

Diverse characters are not automatically SJW. SJW characters exist purely to collect brownie points for being an "ally" and receive other praise.

Don't pretend there is different kinds of latino culture it's all the same.