Doctor Strange

>Doctor Strange
>Movie isnt even half as strange as the first Harry Potter

How the fuck did they mess this up so bad?

Harry Potter's magic system is fundamentally and thematically different than MCU Strange's though.

There's no reason to even compare them.

Yeah but is Harry Potter half as Doctor?

they didn'y fuck it up bad at all. its a dr strange movie literally made for normies. that was the goal. mcu goes for the 4 quadrants (children, teens, adults, seniors) with their films. meaning a 5 year old and and a 65 year old should be able to understand what is going on.

Seems to be some confusion in this thread. Let me help clear it up.
>discuss movies on Sup Forums
>discuss comics and cartoons on Sup Forums
>this thread belongs on Sup Forums

Harry Potter is trash

kung-fu wizards are more fun to watch than your regular point stick wizard who'll yield better results if you get a gun.

There seems to be some confusion in this post. Let me help clear it up.
>movies that are based on comic properties can be discussed on Sup Forums
>it's always been this way
>fuck off

I thought this was one of the better MCU movies along with Winter Soldier, Iron Man, GOTG.

Doctor? What, you mean those muggle nutters that cut people up?

It was pretty good as far as superhero movies go.
That said I do wish their form of magic was more varied. 99% of it was that same Inception style building warping and orange portal shit.
The high point of the movie was when he used time manipulation.

You know what is strange? How popular Harry Potter became when it is without a doubt the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Pretty boring film to be honest

This pasta is like slipping into an old, comfortable pair of socks.

They really played down the magic. Outside the kaleidoscope stuff, I was really let down that the magic was just sparkly shields and whips, they didn't even use the incantations

Harry Potter lived off its world building. Any kid who read those books wanted to live there, thats pretty much it.
Notice how bland the last book is? Cause about half of it takes place in the muggle world, and only the last few chapters are in Hogwarts

Harry Potter should've been an urban fantasy not a magic boarding school isekai.

>Harry Potter should've been an urban fantasy

Go read the Dresden Files.

Absolutely this. The fighting could have been so inventive, and instead we mostly got close quarters magic knives.

You're dumb.

agreed

its one of the less predictable and more interesting storys of the MCU where everyone else is just on heroes journey to defend the earth Strange is just a fucking guy who loses his life and finds a way to live again

its the least "super hero" movie of the MCU

>doesn't get the girl
>doesn't cry about it
>doesn't listen to any of his mentors in the end
>succeeds anyway
>wins multiple outmatched fights by being whacky and clever

>its one of the less predictable and more interesting storys of the MCU

Nigga, the movie is literally Iron Man with magic. I know you're a shill but dont make it so transparent.

No, *this* is literally Iron Man with magic.

>le ebin steven king is bad maymay

It's funny. What you mentioned was indeed a massive flaw yet the film was still fantastic in the end.

Strange is injured in an accident, rather than being attacked as a result of his business decisions
Tony literally builds his own powerset without any "Master" in the first act.
Strange doesn't have any misdeeds to set right, he's caught up in a mystic scheme that has nothing to do with him whatsoever.
Tony is caught up in evil schemes that are a direct result of his negligence and drunkeness.
The villain in Iron Man is cobbling together a powerset that's an imitation of Tony's.
Strange is continually playing catch-up against foes with more skill and experience.
Tony beats a dangerous but low-tech version of his powersuit with superior tech.
Strange beats an invincible demon with a McGuffin and cleverness.
Tony retains his old connections (Pepper, his father's company) and also goes public as a Super.
Strange is forced to leave behind his practice, his girlfriend and remains secretive.

But I guess they are both brunettes with facial hair.

>business decisions
Strange chose to conduct buisness on his mobile phone while driving.

>Atlas Shrugged in God-Tier
Is this a joke or is /lit/'s taste really that bad?

How are you unfamiliar with this Harry Potter copypasta? It's been posted over three thousand times.