Coraline

So like, what was her fucking problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6HD5yh8ar2I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i dont understand what your asking, she did what she does to survive.

Fey creature

In love with the chase rather than conquest

So she actually sucks the life out of the kids to survive, got it. I wish they specified what actually happened to the kids that got buttoned.

Someone's always pushing her buttons.

She was a fairy.
This is why you don't fuck with fairies.

Fairies don't need a motivation to do things. They just do them.

It makes perfect sense that she's a fairy, but where does it ever say she is? She's obviously a malevolent spirit, but there are a lot of those in folklore.

Or is this in the book?

If I were in her position I'd also want to have Coraline in my basement to love her in ways she never thought possible.

In the book we know she killed a fairy, but that's about it. The Other Mother is actually a Bedlam, which I don't really know what it is.

Beldam is literally just old french for "Old Woman" but in a nasty way, like if you wanted to insult an older person and call her ugly you could call her a beldam

In the movie she is occasionally referred to as the "Beldam"
Wiki says: The name 'the Beldam' is a reference to a fairy-tale being, also known as 'La Belle Dame sans Merci' ('the beautiful lady without pity') from the poem of the same name by John Keats. The poem tells the story of an unnamed knight wandering in a barren and haggard land, who encounters a beautiful and mysterious woman with bright and wild eyes who draws him to her secret grotto with claims of love, then puts him into an enchanted sleep. The knight dreams of ghostly beings who warn him that he is under la Belle Dame's thrall; when he awakens, the woman and her home have vanished, leaving him back on the barren hillside. The word "Beldam" is also an archaic word meaning "Witch" or "Hag."

She's a witch who eats children, luring them into her distracting web before consuming their souls.

It's clear she wanted Coraline for malicious purposes, like to consume her life force, but somehow their still was a genuine feeling of motherly love in a messed up way. What was the meaning of this?

Probably desperation. She probably doesn't get many people to run into her trap very often, some part of her probably genuinely wanted Coraline to stay with her forever.

a french witch or crone, I think they had to stay away from the specifics for the audience seeing as it was an American-esque setting anyways and wasn't really necessary.

why is she so hot when she's regular mom?

I think both needed Coraline to live, but also wanted someone to love. She probably wanted to love all the kids in the beginning, but eventually grew bored or tired of them

Because the real mum is still hot, but she's so uncaring it's hard to like her.

I don't know, kinda stupid movie. Who even thinks buttons are scary?

youtube.com/watch?v=6HD5yh8ar2I

more like BOREaline this movie was trash

Why was Coraline so dumb Sup Forums?

fuck u

She got warned by everyone but she kept coming back.

>everyone
You mean Bobinski

Anyone else find her hotter in this form than the normal one?

That's because her life was shit, she had no mates and her parents were too busy to do anything with her.

She didn't even get the gloves she wanted.

Given her insectoid appearance, could be she has a very animalistic view of grooming kids. Most animals and bugs consume their young if they're either desperate or otherwise lack their parental instinct. Happened to my pet bunnies once, mother bunny ate and ripped all of her baby bunnies to shreds because she didn't like the unusually cold winter.

The Mice. Bobinski and the big titties twins.

no

I think she wanted to keep Coraline around and force her to love her as a mother. Then she'd get bored with her and throw her in the mirror, where Coraline would starve to death and her soul would never find rest due to the fact that it's trapped in a dimension where Lady Death can't find her.

I like the real mother better, to be honest. Her constantly sarcastic expressions are such a turn on.

yes

Because the whole world she made for Coraline was made to be a more attractive version of her reality, the food, the garden and the people.

So she had to listen to the advice of a bunch of mice who used a Russian who'd served timed cleaning Chernobyl as intermediary and the predictions of a couple of nearly blind women.
Not what I'd call a reliable source.

So Coraline wants to fuck her mom?

How would Kubo and Norman have faired against the Beldam?

Yes plz

I mean it was 2 warnings about a very unique thing from two different sets of people and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be a skeptic about their warnings since you literally were able to cross realities.

Kubo would have cut her to ribbons; he's the most OP character.
Norman has a fucked up enough life to fall for the Other Mother's tricks and I doubt his abilities to see dead people would come in handy at any time.
He also seemed less in control when he was being chased around by harmless zombies than Coraline when she was chased around by very actual threats. Norman also had to help out a confused and angry girl; the Beldam is fucking evil.
I say he's got less chances of making it out alive than Coraline had, although he's a smart enough child to find a way to win.

The Cat also warned her on her second visit.

They were pretty vague warnings, though. Be careful about the little door; advice which came from mice. That's kind of specific but weird enough to hand wave.
The prediction about there being danger in her life seems vague enough to keep her from paying too much attention to it.
Concerning this
I just remember the Cat telling Coraline about his enmity with the Other Mother rather than a heads up to get lost; he got interrupted before he could go any further.

Man she was a great villain

Fuck, I remember watching Coraline for the first time. Friend convinced us to pregame with acid, freaked me the fuck out.

Is she the best villain Laika has ever put into any of their movies?

I mean the warnings came after encountering the strange door, I mean I get that if Coraline did heed the warning then the movie would be 20 mins long but still when I was a kid I was wary as fuuuck. Coraline is the type of kid that gets kidnapped in a white van

I guess it really depends on the kid. Even some adults are like that; they do anything without fear and only see the danger when it's right in front of them. Coraline strikes me as the kind of girl who would be willing to take any chances as long as they lead to fun.

Yeah I get what you mean, I mean Coraline was headstrong, If I were in the other world when the other mom turns into a hag I would have shit myself much less go on a heist for the souls of the other kids.

Well, she had to save her parents from being stuck down there. She agreed to save the children because the Other Mother thought that finding her parents in an exploration game would be far too easy.

Although I must confess how some child characters make me feel kinda bad about how much of a pussy I was as a kid.

>I wish they specified what actually happened to the kids that got buttoned.
Gee, I wonder what happened to them...

She doesn't need to do it. She does it because she desires love.

>Although I must confess how some child characters make me feel kinda bad about how much of a pussy I was as a kid.
I'm pretty sure 99% of the world when they were kids would have bailed when confronted by an eldrich monster who's goal is to sew buttons on your eyes.

Yeah, I know. It still makes me kind of ashamed whenever I see extremely capable child characters. Maybe that's why I like writing them too, I dunno.

But Spink and Forcible didn't directly warn her, they just did the tea leaves reading thing.

Bro that's wild as fuck

I mean the leaves warned her that she was in danger.

Yeah I felt like dying, the transformation part really freaked me out.

Coraline a cute!

You fucking said it.

jesus fairies are always evil
why cant we have good fairies instead of ones that steal destroy and kidnap?
they are literally the minority of the cryptid world

Fairies were a good way to keep children from wandering into the forest.

Did any of you lucky bastards got to see this movie in the cinema?

I don't remember very well, but I think I saw it in theaters...

She's one of the Gentry, trying to reproduce their usual way. She keeps fucking it up and killing her candidates though, due to her weirdly prohibitive Legend requiring such stringent conditions.

nWoD is garbage

She loved bad bitches.

That's her fuckin' problem.

And yeah, she likes to fuck.

She's got a fuckin' problem.

Lost is infinitely superior to Dreaming and maybe the best game WW have ever made.

Masquerade > Requiem
Apocayiff < Forsaken
Dreaming < Lost
Reckoning < Vigil
Fallen > Descent
Ascension = Awakening

The main line maybe. Geist, Changeling and Prometheus are all fucking great though. Honestly better than most splats in oWoD. Even the most adamant oWoD player will admit that Changeling the Lost is miles better than Changeling the Dreaming. Christ did anyone actually like Changeling the Dreaming?

So, how does she fit into Sandman?

I did when I was a preteen. Shit was spooky, although I was slightly underwhelmed due to having read the book first.

The button eyes make me powerfully scareoused

So the book is spookier than the movie?

What would happen first?
Her starving to death or the wood blocking her way to rot?

Who do you mean; Coraline or the Other Mother?
If it's Coraline, then she'd die because the Other Mother is in control of most of her world.
If it's the Other Mother you're talking about, then she'd die too before breaking out. That tunnel is older than her; even she doesn't understand its true nature or how it got there.

Other Mother

Then the second; if she's really trapped down there she's fucked unless she manages to find another way out.

I might just be a pleb; I dunno, but Coraline is one of my all times if not my all time favorite animated movie.

>I did when I was a preteen
>coraline came out in 2009

Where did the time go? This place is full of babies now.

I mean, it always was, but now I'm older than them.

The book is more isolated since Coraline is alone, so it's much creepier.

No sense crying over the pass of time; you just need to assume your role as an oldfag and try to educate the newbies so that they become respectable oldfags one day.
I'm a newfag both in Sup Forums terms as well as in life, but I am trying to fulfill a standard of tolerance.

Huh; I always enjoyed the enclosed setting of the movie; how most of it takes places within one location and the way side characters are barely present in it.
So the books gives me that and more? Man, I'm so glad I'm gonna get a copy for Christmas.

Her real mother gave her the gloves at the end of the movie.

>I doubt his abilities to see dead people would come in handy at any time
Um... the ghost children are dead. Norman would go once or twice, hear the ghost childrens warnings and then never return.

The book and the movie have different strengths and weaknesses. They're both good, but I think I prefer the book. A big thing is that the book version of the other house and the people in it were kinda shifty and creepy from the beginning, rather than starting out too good to be true and becoming spooky over the course of the story. Also the fucking tunnel. Fuck you Neil.

Coraline could see them too without the need of a special talent to see the dead. They were trapped in that mirror, and thus, unable to communicate with anyone on the outside. Also, remember that Coraline was always kept away from that room, either by the Other Mother directing her somewhere else or by accompanying her on her walks through the house so that she wouldn't wander off.

>Also the fucking tunnel. Fuck you Neil.
What do you mean?

Shit, wrong reaction pic.

"Whatever that corridor was was older by far than the other mother. It was deep, and slow, and it knew that she was there. . . ."
The first time she goes through it she feels some kind of fur on the walls, and the second time it's described as feeling fleshy and wet like the inside of someones mouth. And that's all we know.

That sounds better than the one from the movie; I wish they'd managed to keep that.

Same. Neil has a tendency to have stuff like that in his books. The bridge in Neverwhere, and the ghoul city and sleer from the graveyard book come to mind. Just enough information to get you wondering what exactly the fuck is going on but never any real concrete answers.

she's hot

Or the Sleer from the Graveyard Book.

It comes back. It always comes back.

I cant tell you how many times I watched the film, always finding something I missed. Its a genuinely nice movie to have on the background to lul to sleep to.

The illustrations in the book were fucking horrifying too.